Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Gologle posted:

Wait seriously. Destiny? You're talking about the Bungie Halo ripoff, right?

It is a good game and fun shoot mans action that a bajillion goons play. I organize a weekly raid where we kill an ancient space God wizard King who is about 50 feet tall.

Here is my space man:

Tenzarin, who posts here sometimes, is in my raid group.

epitasis posted:

now i'm confused, is it a halo rip-off by bungie or is a rip-off the bungie halos, as opposed to the 343 halos, who no one would bother ripping off. doesn't spiritual sequel seem a more correct term, really seems like you're baking a lot of editorializing into your question there

It's like the good original halos with borderlands loot drops.

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
What the hell cell network is "ROGERS"

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you're not canadian, i take it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogers_Communications

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just got to the Sunleth Waterskape in FFXIII, PC version (Win10) and all of the sudden the wired XBOX360 controller stopped working. It still works flawlessly with other games, but FFXIII won't recognize it. I tried reinstalling the drivers but to no avail. Any idea what might be wrong?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tempo 119 posted:

Ok but I didn't make any of these claims???

Yes, you asserted that Squall cares about his friends, and that this is supported in the game. But it isn't, because the game doesn't spend any time showing that Squall cares about anything or anyone except for Rinoa, and iirc also one tiny internal monologue line after you find out that the missile base crew isn't dead. I don't recall anything you're describing happening, but this would've been true if the game had bothered to go into Squall's relationships with the rest of his team. It doesn't, though, and as far as the game ever actually shows, he's a frigid jerk.

One line of "Yes! They're alive!" does not a caring character make.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kalenn Istarion posted:

It is a good game and fun shoot mans action that a bajillion goons play. I organize a weekly raid where we kill an ancient space God wizard King who is about 50 feet tall.

Here is my space man:

Tenzarin, who posts here sometimes, is in my raid group.

It's like the good original halos with borderlands loot drops.

Except with almost no loot drops and most of the guns are the same and poo poo. Borderlands at least has the different style/brands of guns that do different things.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Except with almost no loot drops and most of the guns are the same and poo poo. Borderlands at least has the different style/brands of guns that do different things.

Loot drops almost constantly since The Taken King, not good loot I grant you but loot all the same. Even seeing quite a few purple engrams randomly dropping in the wild now, and you can buy Three of Coins consumables from Xur to increases the chance of an Exotic drop from any boss level Ultra. So the loot is a lot better than it was.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Pretty much that. The new court of oryx is a hilarious fountain of stuff. Most weapon classes are viable in PVP now as well, although certain pulse rifles are best, and I find there's lots of differentiation in the guns but to each their own.

Anyways, enough about Destiny, there's a thread in games if anyone wants to check it out to get through the FF doldrums.

I haven't seen much on XV or VIIR lately, when's the next news on them supposed to be?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Both Borderlands and Destiny are the worst games in the series, can we argue about FF again?

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I'm playing Final Fantasy VIII on Steam right now, and it's actually been a lot of fun. I think it might be one of the easiest FFs to go back to since you can get enc-none right out of the gate and turn off random battles whenever you want.

There's no point in grinding since enemies scale with you, and you can get all the magic you need to break the junctioning system just by refining the cards you win from playing the card game, which you're going to be doing a lot of anyway since Triple Triad is :krad:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Kalenn Istarion posted:

a weekly raid where we kill an ancient space God wizard King who is about 50 feet tall.

Oh so Bungie ripped off both itself and Final Fantasy end bosses. Great job, inferior western developers :smug:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've decided the main reason I hate FF 8 so much is because of how much I despise card games.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The White Dragon posted:

Yes, you asserted that Squall cares about his friends, and that this is supported in the game. But it isn't, because the game doesn't spend any time showing that Squall cares about anything or anyone except for Rinoa, and iirc also one tiny internal monologue line after you find out that the missile base crew isn't dead. I don't recall anything you're describing happening, but this would've been true if the game had bothered to go into Squall's relationships with the rest of his team. It doesn't, though, and as far as the game ever actually shows, he's a frigid jerk.

There isn't a huge amount, but there are tiny bits: Squall jumps in to save Zell during the prison break, running ahead of Quistis and Selphie. He mentally apologizes to Zell right before making Quistis the leader of the gateway team. There are option to try to reach out to Selphie after the FH crash and at Trabia Garden, albeit optional ones, and then Selphie teases him about it.

Honestly there could have been potential to see him warming up to his friends, and there are tiny bits, but all that is before the mid-point of Disc 2, then everything becomes centered around Rinoa.

If anything Squall's role is the inverse problem of Vaan's: Vaan had very little to do with the overarching story of XII and his presence was just as a viewpoint, while Squall is by and large the centre of the universe in VIII and everyone is basically there to support him.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I've decided the main reason I hate FF 8 so much is because of how much I despise card games.

I don't like it because the mechanics aren't fun and having the world level with you will always suck rear end in any game it's ever in

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I hate FFVIII because of the lack of hotdogs.

Also on the matter of Squall's interpersonal relationships, Rinoa has the best line in the game.

Irvine: "They'll be fine. I'm sure they can get outta there when the time comes."

Rinoa: "You don't know for sure. Squall might say 'but no one has ordered me to escape', and end up staying in there. We can't have that!

There are people who seriously think Squall is a great, well=developed character that they can relate to. It mystifies me but I've read too many posts saying as such to think I'm just crazy. Yet if I actually like any characters in FFVIII, it's Seifer and Rinoa. Seifer because in almost any other FF he'd be the main character and Rinoa because she's the only party member with any potential but it gets shot down so they can jam the love story down your throat.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

In Training posted:

I don't like it because the mechanics aren't fun and having the world level with you will always suck rear end in any game it's ever in

then both of you must really hate ff9 since the card game is 1000x worse

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The card game in FF9 is ignorable rather than being required if you want to play the game without spending hours drawing from enemies/watching GF summons.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

you say that like ff9 isnt slow as balls in battle.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd rather play through the PAL version of FF9 than touch 8 again

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

There are people who seriously think Squall is a great, well=developed character that they can relate to. It mystifies me but I've read too many posts saying as such to think I'm just crazy.

I completely agree with you, the characters in FF8 were dire. Kinda made it a lacking follow-up to 7, but it's still fun to play.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

The card game in FF9 is ignorable rather than being required if you want to play the game without spending hours drawing from enemies/watching GF summons.

Hopefully this is at least somewhat hyperbolic and you don't genuinely think those are your only options. FF8 (much like other games, FF or otherwise) rewards knowing about the game. While cards are an easy example, they vary in efficiency:

- Quistis/Zell/Kiros are amazing bang for the buck even if you hate cards
- Abyss Worm/Mesmerize/Armadodo are reasonable if you like playing cards but skippable if you don't
- Tri-Face/Gayla are a little slow but are still an option if you really like cards
- Chimera/Ruby Dragon are an abysmally slow grind even if you love cards

There are also, perhaps more to the point, non-card, non-drawdrawdraw options for also breaking the game early and easily. They still fall under "know the tricks", but it's not like your only options are the tedium of summoning GFs, the tedium of drawing (especially drawing a shitload of weak crap, rather than reserving drawing for the odd occasion where it's actually a good and easy source of strong stuff), or the tedium - to a Triple Triad hater - of playing cards.

Hell, half of the game-breaking options are about tactics rather than easy sources of magic. Things like Enc-None in general, or the fact that Degenerator (which can be learned via an item obtained by modding one of your initial deck of cards) works on practically every random enemy in the game (including basically everything dangerous), or the option of switching turns in combat to get limits on demand.

Being able to back that up with good junctions - which can come from card playing and/or drawing if it's a good idea to do so - is just icing on the cake, but you can quite remarkably serviceable junctions just starting from store-bought items, or rare cards dropped by boss battles. Might not carry you through the whole game but it'll carry you long enough to get to whatever point Insert Spell Here is as fast and easy to get as it's ever going to be.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Don't forget Elnoyle Cards in that Slow Grind category. IIRC you get the precious Energy Crystal items from them or something and you need those for ultimate weapons. I got Rinoa's and Selphie's ultimate weapons on Disk 1. I thought of going for Lionheart on Disk 1 but decided I liked Punishment more. I got that before I even left for Timber.

Kiros' Card and Auto-Haste was a godsend. Too bad I missed it until after the Balamb segment . Anyone whoever plays FFVIII Requiem, beware Fujin and Raijin. They will demolish you in seconds.

As for easy cards to get, Snow Lion is another. You can get all the Aga spells from cards right at the start and leave Tornado just for Junctions. Also refine Tents into Curagas and junction to HP and never again fear death. In the vanilla game, anyway.

Oh god now I'm remembering how I had to level Siren up to 100 for some reason. The Curse Spikes, I think. That took forever

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 9, 2015

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean, even if you're extremely lazy once you get the garden moving you have a known point to draw ultima from that regenerates pretty much every time something plot related finishes not even getting into things like "Draw some magic from bosses because none of them are a threat whatsoever at low levels" and "turn tents into curaga, never ever worry about HP or limit breaks again until the end of the game"

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Squall's character would have been much improved without dialogue options, imo. Take out all the whatever's and have him just say the character building lines and drop the options that make him sound like a jackass.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Here is my space man:

that armor looks like hot dogshit.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Peak Final Fantasy 8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV52DvjX9rA

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

none of that is required. drawpoints, refining some items and cards you find, the occasional draw from an enemy or boss is all you need to get through FF8.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Rise of the Tomb Raider seems to be reviewing well. At the onset of the Eidos acquisition, I would've never guessed that Tomb Raider would supplant Final Fantasy as Square-Enix's critical darling. I don't whether that says more about the fall of Final Fantasy or the.... rise of Tomb Raider.

bloodychill posted:

Destiny is hard to recommend but not as hard to recommend as Halo 5 so there's that. It's the FF12 to FF13 in that sense.

Destiny is a great recommendation to FF fans who like their games to go over budget, behind schedule, and have poor development tools. Which I guess is everyone who liked a major FF game made in the last 15 years.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Tabata said they're adding Moogles to 15.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh good, I was getting ready to burn all copies of FF if he did otherwise.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Tae posted:

Tabata said they're adding Moogles to 15.

I hope some of them are recruitable party members so my Noctis can run around with his Moogle Crew all day every day.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I want the backwards cousin of the moogle from FF13-2 who is normally a sword, until you take him out of the holster and then use him as a weapon in moogle form by grabbing him by his legs and bludgeoning the enemies with him.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Lastdancer posted:

I hope some of them are recruitable party members so my Noctis can run around with his Moogle Crew all day every day.

Tabata posted:

So it won’t be a very chatty Moogle, but will be done with a suitably light level of development work as a fun little #FFXV extra. (3/3)

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Oh. Well, that's ok too!

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Excels posted:

that armor looks like hot dogshit.

So does your mom

It was pasted from my phone app, the in-game renders are better. :shrug:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Kalenn Istarion posted:

It was pasted from my phone app, the in-game renders are better. :shrug:

no it looks like an unfinished warhammer figure with some white paint sloppily smeared across it

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Excels posted:

no it looks like an unfinished warhammer figure with some white paint sloppily smeared across it

See previous comment about lovely render

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Please stop arguing with a boy that argued against a game that he didn't play or understand the language for 9 months

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

1) Literally the most obvious and consistent thing in the entire game is that Squall doesn't want to form relationships in case he's abandoned. This is reiterated dozens of times. Criticising the game for not showing him chumming it up with the other students is beyond ridiculous. He avoids outward interaction, he denies himself relationships, that's his whole thing. They even directly set up Laguna, the most likeable guy on the planet (canonically, cf. Shumi Village) as his foil to make sure you noticed this.

2) Repressing your feelings is not the same as not having feelings at all. Squall is not a robot. Throughout disc 2 (possibly before as well, but d2 is where I found it very noticeable), every single time the action dies down, he goes off on his own to reaffirm his mantra, "I can't rely on other people", with increasing numbers of qualifiers and excuses.

When I said it's keeping him up at night that wasn't figurative - when he gets back to Garden there is literally a scene where he is tossing and turning, telling himself "well yes I did rely on other people, a bit, just a few times, but I'm ok on my own now, definitely, for real this time". Does this sound like someone who is ok on his own to you? Then Rinoa challenges his attitude on their date and he just stands there in total silence having an emotional crisis. If you don't see the cracks forming by this point you are an actual bona fide idiot. (Or I guess you're just kind of skipping through the lengthy internal monologues, which is understandable but not a great position to try and slam the game's logic.)

3) When Rinoa collapses it becomes blindingly obvious to everyone, including Squall - perhaps even including you! - that trying to shut everyone out was a waste of time. If Rinoa dies it's going to suck regardless. He realises he's spent all their time together being a huge butt for no reason, and he finally lets his defences down a bit. He tells Rinoa's corpse (ie. he admits to himself) that he cares too much about what people think, and he only pushes them away because it's less frightening than letting them in. It's all got very little to do with the romance subplot, beyond enabling it. It's about Squall, the culmination of his character arc, all of which has been about as subtle as a brick.

So there you go, that's a bunch of words I already regret writing about why Squall's change of heart on disc 3 is ok.

To spell that out: I said that it's ok, like it makes sense, not that it's super good or anything. Not that the romance plot ultimately is or isn't forced. You don't need to tell me all the other characters are hollow garbage and the main plot is a total mess. I know.

I just think people queuing up to dump on that one scene is a waste of time, misses the point in a bunch of different ways, and honestly at this point it's just an awful meme. I don't really remember anyone making a big deal out of it before that poo poo Let's Play pointed it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Maybe he's a lion?