Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
OP updated with this nonsensically priced luxury smartwatch product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Rastor posted:

This stream is just old white dudes patting each other on the back for their great work producing a new expensive luxury product.

If you're interested in actual info, I'd recommend browsing the website they set up:

http://www.tagheuerconnected.com/

I take back what I said about the price. This is just a standard watch with a fancy name slapped on it. :sigh:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

For $1500 I was expecting something not so... I dunno... rubbery sports watch like?

To me the Huatch looks way more like a $1500 luxury item.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Titanium case

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
E: im dumb

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Rastor posted:

For $1500 I was expecting something not so... I dunno... rubbery sports watch like?

To me the Huatch looks way more like a $1500 luxury item.

Titanium body, sapphire screen and most importantly Tag Heuer logo on it. According to the verge you have the option to have the internals swapped out for traditional analog when you realize you bought a $1500 swatch.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Rastor posted:

This stream is just old white dudes patting each other on the back for their great work producing a new expensive luxury product.

If you're interested in actual info, I'd recommend browsing the website they set up:

http://www.tagheuerconnected.com/

I was working from the faulty assumption that they wouldn't release a "luxury" product with an old OS available on existing watches. My bad.

The Urbane 2 LTE drops on Friday so they have to announce an update some day this week at least. AT&T even has it's own promo video, complete with random dogfood icons on the watch for that authentic Google touch:

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

uPen posted:

Titanium body, sapphire screen and most importantly Tag Heuer logo on it. According to the verge you have the option to have the internals swapped out for traditional analog when you realize you bought a $1500 swatch.

From what I gathered from the livestream you actually have to pay another $1500 on top of the original $1500 you paid in order to get it swapped out. And that's only after you've had it for 2 years.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Vagrancy posted:

From what I gathered from the livestream you actually have to pay another $1500 on top of the original $1500 you paid in order to get it swapped out. And that's only after you've had it for 2 years.
From what I gathered they were saying you have to wait 2 years and then you get a $1500 credit toward purchase of an analog movement.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Runs on dcell batteries

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Don Lapre posted:

Runs on dcell batteries

That looks fair for a $1500 watch.
Hell I might even go as low as $1200 for someone to pay me to wear it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Finally put my Urbane on SA Mart as requested: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750888

Significantly less than the Tag Heuer!

Photos (click on them for huge resolution):

Great watch, but I am a compulsive smart watch buyer, as regulars to this thread are surely aware.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm just going to install the TAG watch faces on my GWR and tell everybody it's the TAG. As if anybody would know the difference.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

KillHour posted:

I'm just going to install the TAG watch faces on my GWR and tell everybody it's the TAG. As if anybody would know the difference.
"Is that an apple watch?"

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

xlevus posted:

I get that at least once a day with the zenwatch2.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.
Funny, I always get compliments, followed by talk of how subtle the Moto 360 is compared to that gaudy Apple Watch.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Does everyone stand up and clap?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Kakairo posted:

Funny, I always get compliments, followed by talk of how subtle the Moto 360 is compared to that gaudy Apple Watch.

It doesn't count when you only have 3 friends and they all post in this thread.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

xlevus posted:

People were asking me that before the Apple watch was even confirmed. I had to tell people "No, because that is not a thing that exists."

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

No one notices my huawei watch, because it looks like a watch.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

No one notices my huawei watch, because it looks like a watch.

Lol if you don't have it set to maximum brightness indoors and use it very conspicuously so people come up to you and ask about it. I mean, that's why we all bought the drat things, right?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I've had two random people ask me about my 2nd gen Moto 360 and both seemed to know what it was and asked how I liked it. I'm guessing neither see a lot of smartwatches of any kind because both said something along the lines of it looking way "more normal" than they assumed it would.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I had lots of people ask me about my LG G watch because its a blocky monstrosity like that Apple watch. But since I've gotten the Huawei watch next to no one has even noticed it unless I'm actively checking an email or navigating using it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Kakairo posted:

I'm at a work conference right now with close to 1000 people and I've had this conversation probably a dozen times over the past two days.

Usually a notification will come in when I'm standing in a crowd and someone just walks up and asks me about it when they see the face change.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Whats the scouting report on the Sony Smartwatch 3? There's a seller on ebay selling refurbs for $99.

I already have a 360v1 which has served me well, but I wouldn't mind trying another watch for shits and giggles.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

JayKay posted:

Whats the scouting report on the Sony Smartwatch 3? There's a seller on ebay selling refurbs for $99.

I already have a 360v1 which has served me well, but I wouldn't mind trying another watch for shits and giggles.

I have a Sony Smartwatch 3. Here's what I said about Sony SW3 vs. ASUS Zenwatch 2:

Rastor posted:

It's worth noting that the Smartwatch 3's display is a transflective LCD, this means that the display can be seen without powering the backlight if there is enough ambient light, such as in a bright office environment or outdoors during the day. This fact, combined with the fact that it has a built-in GPS chip and that it's hard to find any band option other than the rubber fitness band, make it more of a "fitness oriented" smartwatch. The Smartwatch 3 charges with a standard micro USB port, the same as most Android phones, which is nice in terms of not needing a proprietary charger but means you need to fiddle with opening the rubber protective flap with your fingernail and lining up the cable each time you need to charge it.

The Zenwatch 2 is available in 2 sizes and a few different color / band choices, making it more of a "fashion oriented" watch. It requires a proprietary charge base to charge.
Performance is as good as any other Android Wear watch.

It's probably one of the smallest, or at least smallest-looking, choices in the Android Wear world, which is nice if you are of the narrow-wristed persuasion.

It has move to wake up, but doesn't seem to support using gestures to move through the card stack for some reason.

Overall I like it. And plus, that Star Trek LCARS watch face looks good on a square device.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm actually considering picking up the SW3 for swimming. It seems nice.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The only big downside I can see to that is from my experiences of wearing the GWR in the shower, water likes to make the watch think you're tapping it randomly. Once it tried to call my mom. Awkward.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Droid Life decided to plunk down the $1500 for the TAG Heuer, here is their unboxing:

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/11/11/tag-heuer-connected-unboxing-and-tour/

FlyingPhysicist
Nov 8, 2004
Coming soon to a town near you!

Rastor posted:

It has move to wake up, but doesn't seem to support using gestures to move through the card stack for some reason.

It does support it, it's just disabled by default for some reason (on the watch go to Settings - Wrist Gestures)

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

FlyingPhysicist posted:

It does support it, it's just disabled by default for some reason (on the watch go to Settings - Wrist Gestures)
Welp. Would have sworn I dug through there and didn't see any such option.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

KillHour posted:

The only big downside I can see to that is from my experiences of wearing the GWR in the shower, water likes to make the watch think you're tapping it randomly. Once it tried to call my mom. Awkward.

Yeah, while swimming, I noticed my Smartwatch 3 was acting as if it was being poked a lot. The solution is to activate theater mode when you're in water, so you have to hit the button to activate the screen.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Can the Watch Urbane 2 LTE receive calls with the same number as my cell phone so I can pick it up with either device even if I'm away from my phone? (I'm on Verizon)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Call support is not in yet. Based on what I've seen lte support will work like WiFi support. It just acts like a regular Android wear watch except it's connected using a different protocol.

So, if you did answer via your watch it would pick up on your phone at home and the caller would be talking to an empty room.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Ended pulling the trigger on that refurb Sony SW3. I figure at $99, it'll make a good workout/active/beater complement to my 360v1, and it's something a little different.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Super Dude posted:

Can the Watch Urbane 2 LTE receive calls with the same number as my cell phone so I can pick it up with either device even if I'm away from my phone? (I'm on Verizon)

Nitrousoxide posted:

Call support is not in yet. Based on what I've seen lte support will work like WiFi support. It just acts like a regular Android wear watch except it's connected using a different protocol.

So, if you did answer via your watch it would pick up on your phone at home and the caller would be talking to an empty room.
No, the watch can connect to data via LTE but it can also handle calls.

Super Dude, the answer is "yes, but the carrier needs to support this feature".
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/10/20/att-and-t-mobile-want-you-to-use-one-phone-number.aspx

Verizon has not made any announcements yet, but as that article says this is probably something they will all support eventually.

errad
May 31, 2013
I got close to pulling the trigger on the Sony SW3 but saw at the time people were having issues with the GPS cutting out when they get sweaty - has anyone here had that problem or do we know if it's a non-issue at this point?

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I really like my SW3 I've not had any issues with it since I got it some time ago.

GPS continues to work well, nice and speedy. I prefer a square watch to round plus all the round watches look like they are huge in comparison.

I kind of like the fact that it has a mini USB connector, means I can charge it if need be just about anywhere. Not tried swimming with it yet, nor showering. I don't know if I will ever trust a companies claims on how waterproof something is.

errad
May 31, 2013
just saw a commercial for the samsung gear s2 it looks so good. Samsung why, why couldn't you just use android wear.

edit: no anecdotes but lack of google maps as well as no "ok google" kills it for me

errad fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I'm really torn because I have a big wrist and while the S2 is the device I want the most (that bezel is so intelligent) when I've tried it on it just looks so tiny. That Moto 360 just makes a lot of sense size- and style-wise, and the flat tire doesn't really bother me at all. Is Android Wear that much better than Tizen? I need some anecdotes, goons.