Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

Money is trivially easy to come by in the game. I was sitting on nearly 10,000 caps by the end without any of that.

When the heck did you unlock this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Fallout 4 is bad but if that makes you angry enough to complain about it like wikipedia brown then you're a loving idiot. The trailer stated up front it was gonna be garbage. Let the dumb ones enjoy their bad game.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Volkerball posted:

So we'll be looking at +2 in every skill by the end of the game? Well, I can gameplan around that a bit for less important things that can wait until endgame.

+1 to every skill, +2 to one skill. + whatever you want because you can gain a special point every level if you want.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Anyone else who went through Funstock get keys yet? Theyre running close to being 0 for 2 on preorders over a weekend alone and if thier response to having bungled a few keys for blops3 is to bungle all of them for fo4 then they're not worth the $4 I saved going through them.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Volkerball posted:

So we'll be looking at +2 in every skill by the end of the game? Well, I can gameplan around that a bit for less important things that can wait until endgame.

Nah, you misunderstand, the Skill bobbleheads don't put points into any perks at all, they just give bonuses related to their description. The melee bobblehead just gives you better melee criticals, for example.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

^ And yes, there are skill bobbleheads that are unrelated to SPECIAL in any way.

Volkerball posted:

He means:
  • There is one bobblehead for every SPECIAL stat.
  • There is one "You're SPECIAL" book that you can use to put one point into the SPECIAL stat of your choosing.
So on balance you're going to get 8 extra SPECIAL points if you pick them all up: one for each stat, and one that you can assign wherever you like.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 9, 2015

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

pacmania90 posted:

Why are you so resistant to the idea that other people might not appreciate your lovely, broken, sacred cow of a game?

We just can't comprehend why they'd spend so much time in a thread for a game they don't care about, is all.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hmm, I wonder, does pacifying an enemy give the same amount of XP that killing them does? If so, merely aiming down sights at a guy takes him out of the game and I get all I need from him.

...and can still probably destroy him later if I want the loot or whatever, though a high-CHA build is more likely to trade for loot.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

Any review that confirms their bias of negativity and cynicism.

I get why the good reviews say it's a good game, and those are points I don't care much about. I just now want to know what other people justify ignoring those point's. 60 dollars is a lot of money for me bro.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Speedball posted:

Hmm, I wonder, does pacifying an enemy give the same amount of XP that killing them does? If so, merely aiming down sights at a guy takes him out of the game and I get all I need from him.

...and can still probably destroy him later if I want the loot or whatever, though a high-CHA build is more likely to trade for loot.

It gives no EXP at all.

NeilPerry posted:

I get why the good reviews say it's a good game, and those are points I don't care much about. I just now want to know what other people justify ignoring those point's. 60 dollars is a lot of money for me bro.

"Do you like exploring areas and finding loot? This is a good game for you."
"Do you like an engaging story and well-written characters? This is not a game for you."

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

It gives no EXP at all.

Well, gently caress! I guess I just need to whap them on the back of the head afterwards.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Anyone have a good melee-unarmed focused build? I was looking at like 8STR/6END/6AGI with two in everything else to start. Put the book point in Agility for almost instant Ninja access, go around punching people in the back of the head.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
My work day is absolutely crawling. Goddamn I want to go home and play this. Plus I've got jury duty tomorrow that I likely won't be needed for, so free day off work to play woo!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

New Leaf posted:

My work day is absolutely crawling. Goddamn I want to go home and play this. Plus I've got jury duty tomorrow that I likely won't be needed for, so free day off work to play woo!

Just say "I know what jury nullification is" if it gets to the point they ask you to speak.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Is there a good high level energy sniper rifle?

In NV the anti-material rifle with explosive rounds was my end-game weapon for when I needed to take out packs of deathclaws.

Can I find the same thing here?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Avast SecureLine worked for me to unlock using their Melbourne server. 7 day free trial, no registration required.

I named my guy bum and nobody has said his name yet :(

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

NeilPerry posted:

I'll give you the few reasons to not get the game right now.

1) You're right it's $60. It'll be $20 by this time next year.
2) Bethesda never drops dlc as low as the base game and it ends up being in your favor to wait for the goty edition on steam sale since it's also cheaper than the dlc + game due to how bethesda puts stuff on sale
3) Mods won't be coming til next year.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Ranter posted:

Just say "I know what jury nullification is" if it gets to the point they ask you to speak.

I don't know how it works in other states, but I called the "jury duty notification line" for today's jury duty just to see what the recording had to say and they only needed jurors 1-100 to appear, and 101-117 were on standby.. My number is 318. My feeling is that my presence will not be required, but I won't know until tonight.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Volkerball posted:

I'm wanting to test out all the weapons on my first playthrough, so I had to get Blacksmith on top of Armorer to play with melee mods. I'm definitely trying to find a way to incorporate lifegiver now. It looks huge. Might just pass on action boy and ninja, or maybe on locksmith and awareness.

Lifegiver looks awesome, 1 point in Lifegiver = 4 endurance points as far as HP is concerned, and also comes with health regen on the last level. It should pretty much completely negate the ill effect of having low END (unless you want those sweet high END perks of course, but they make sense only if you think you'll actually get hurt a lot which I plan to avoid by stealthing around and crit killing the poo poo out of things with a fully modded laser musket or whatever)

too bad that the really outlandish, cool perks are locked at level 9-10, with the way the system is you pretty much have to ultra-specialize, or pump points into SPECIAL so much that you'll have only a couple of those at most I think - could well be intentional but I'd have liked to try some of them out without replaying the game 10 times!

edit: also awareness looks kinda lovely, ok I can see their resistance on VATS, could be useful for bosses but I'd rather do +20% damage, get a perk for the dog or add a SPECIAL point over that if I have to choose...

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 9, 2015

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Does anyone know where I could find a silenced rifle early on?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dorkopotamis posted:

Does anyone know where I could find a silenced rifle early on?

I don't know about the rifle but near the starting location there's a Diner with a minor sidequest (you can solve it by talking past the two people threatening the diner.) If you do that the person there sells a silenced bolt pipe pistol which I used for a good chunk of the early game.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Ranter posted:

Anyone running a 980ti and 1440p res care to weigh in on how the game performs at max/ultra? I'm stuck at work :(

Everyone who can afford this is still at work, like me.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I sucked at Destiny. Will I suck at this?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TorakFade posted:

Lifegiver looks awesome, 1 point in Lifegiver = 4 endurance points as far as HP is concerned, and also comes with health regen on the last level. It should pretty much completely negate the ill effect of having low END (unless you want those sweet high END perks of course, but they make sense only if you think you'll actually get hurt a lot which I plan to avoid by stealthing around and crit killing the poo poo out of things with a fully modded laser musket or whatever)

Do you not get HP on level up this time around? If so, then yeah, Lifegiver is probably crazy good. If not I could see it only being really worthwhile for the regen.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Running into an odd issue on my computer. Sometimes [about half the time] when I quickload the game or alt tab back in on border-less windowed, it seems to cap the FPS at 30 according to fraps and it's noticeable in game. Any ideas on how to stop this? I'm using an R9 290x if it matters and it doesn't seem AMD has updated drivers today.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, what do you guys think of my thought process here.

One point all around will unlock bloody mess, locksmith, and strong back. My book will go to action boy. That basically unlocks everything you could want to do in this game, right? All doors unlockable, all mods craftable for all categories of gear + scrapper, every mechanic with your settlements available. At the same time, rifleman, commando, heavy gunner, and big leagues will add a solid all around platform for every type of weapon. Bloody mess will give a boost to every type as well. Plus there's medic and lifegiver for boosting HP and healing ability. Any thoughts? Looks good to me for a "how the gently caress does this game work exactly" playthrough. Next one would be getting stupid with melee and keeping intelligence low to make idiot savant worthwhile, since it looks like idiot savant and Science! aren't going to play nicely together. :(

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Why does motherfucking Steam refuse to let me set my location to AUSTRALIA? It's where my packets are coming from, so duh, that's where I am!

edit: Oh, crap, I think it's because my home machine is still signed in. Any way to disconnect other machines on your Steam account remotely?

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 9, 2015

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

Yeah probably.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

this game series is nothing like Destiny, the computer aims for you with VATS

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Volkerball posted:

One point all around will unlock bloody mess, locksmith, and strong back. My book will go to action boy. That basically unlocks everything you could want to do in this game, right? All doors unlockable, all mods craftable for all categories of gear + scrapper, every mechanic with your settlements available. At the same time, rifleman, commando, heavy gunner, and big leagues will add a solid all around platform for every type of weapon. Bloody mess will give a boost to every type as well. Plus there's medic and lifegiver for boosting HP and healing ability. Any thoughts? Looks good to me for a "how the gently caress does this game work exactly" playthrough. Next one would be getting stupid with melee and keeping intelligence low to make idiot savant worthwhile, since it looks like idiot savant and Science! aren't going to play nicely together. :(

Remember you have to actually get the perks as well instead of just being eligible. So like getting big leages, heavy gunner, and rifleman will take 15 levels to max.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There's an auto-targeting mechanic called VATS that recharges over time, it slows down time to a crawl and lets you pick your targets. If you remember to activate it regularly (a lot of people forget to) it'll serve you well. There are even mechanics in place that make it even cooler, like a Mysterious Stranger appearing to blow the poo poo out of an enemy you targeted in VATS or a Gun-Fu perk that increases damage with the more different targets you select in VATS.

VATS is there specifically to help people who are bad at twitch gameplay!

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.

john fallout....had a rough life...

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Can you change the difficulty on the fly? I heard the higher difficulties give better loot but I wanted to start on normal first.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Volkerball posted:

No bloody mess? Al Davis would be ashamed of you. No party boy and Mark Davis is even more ashamed.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ramadu posted:

No bloody mess? Al Davis would be ashamed of you. No party boy and Mark Davis is even more ashamed.
He's only a rank 3 agility. Not winning any 40 times with that.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Remember you have to actually get the perks as well instead of just being eligible. So like getting big leages, heavy gunner, and rifleman will take 15 levels to max.

Right, but that's just fleshing out what's already there. So long as I have the infrastructure to boost melee if that's a weak spot compared to automatic weapons or w/e, I'm happy. I'm just trying to make sure I can finish the game without getting shoehorned into a spot where I really want to restart with a new build.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Commissar Budgie posted:

That's not John Fallout, that's Trevor.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ramadu posted:

I'll get bloody mess and party boy with the luck and charimsa bobbleheads. Don't think for one second I won't be getting shitfaced and smashing people into 80 pieces with a sledgehammer.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Harlock posted:

He's only a rank 3 agility. Not winning any 40 times with that.

Lol, I'm gonna have to make an agility 10 character sometime now. Can't teach speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Commissar Budgie posted:

Ha, gonna do my best to make Steve Buscemi. Can you make the eyes bug out?

• Locked thread