Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The interface for building your settlements is pretty awful. Why can't I just press E to accept that I want to scrap this tree, instead of enter? Why can't the mouse cursor stay where it was in the menu instead of moving every time? Either you constantly move your hand between the mouse and enter, or you have to move the cursor back and click it, and it's just clunky and irritating as gently caress. Also, is there a way to just bring up a huge menu of the stuff you can build, instead of scrolling through only seeing like five things at a time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strong bird
May 12, 2009

You can press E instead of enter in all prompts ive seen so far. The controls for building are otherwise dog turds

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Apparently on both consoles there's really bad input lag and frame drops as soon as you load into the open world from the opening vault. It's stopping me from pressing buy.

Was coming here to to check for issues exactly like this. I have been enjoying the portability of my PS4 recently but I guess I have to get this for PC.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Okay, name the modern games you think are written super well and have great dialog but don't use summaries in input prompts.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

There aren't any

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Anyone play this on a badgay computer? I have a really badgay computer.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

neonbregna posted:

Was coming here to to check for issues exactly like this. I have been enjoying the portability of my PS4 recently but I guess I have to get this for PC.

The issues are being crazy overstated by PCMR types.

Watch DigitalFoundry's video and decide from there

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

neonbregna posted:

The source for that appears to be weird console wars bullshit. The PS4 version is by no means smooth but it isn't that bad.

That said I see no reason to not get the PC version if you can run it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
there was a major IT disaster this morning that I spent a lot of time fixing so the day has flown by :3:

MinorRed
Jul 27, 2011

spoilers for some random conversation, I guess.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

strong bird posted:

There aren't any

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I think the answer is definitely: I'm good

But how should I expect this PC to run Fallout 4:

i7 4790k
16 GB RAM
GTX 960 (2 GB)

Just making sure.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Dota 2 has a better story than bethesda can manage

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

i7 4790k
16 GB RAM
GTX 960 (2 GB)

Just making sure.

you fine

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

i7 4790k
16 GB RAM
GTX 960 (2 GB)

Just making sure.

Probably mostly high, some ultra, with god rays turned down

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
The storyline sounds like it's basically Empire Strikes Back, only instead of dad gay it's son gay

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Having the conversation typed on screen then having the voice read the exact same thing you just read is dumb and no modern game does that. Name whatever game you think has great dialog and writing (mass effect, witcher, life is strange, walking dead) and literally every single one is doing the "pick the sort of response then the dialog expands on it" route instead of "the man reads the thing I clicked" like old games did.

Even if we're going to accept the premise that dialog wheels are a good thing, this is an exceptionally lovely implementation of it. It allows for at most four responses at every prompt (Mass Effect's allowed for six, though I'll grant it didn't always use them) and very, very short summaries of what you're about to say. When you're using a dialog input method that is always criticized for "the summary didn't give me a good idea of what my character would say," the answer is not "make the summaries even shorter and vaguer!"

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
My only major complaint with this game is the numerous UI trainwrecks (settlements, conversation wheel, dialog boxes, etc). Everything else rules, even the hokey story and lovely textures.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Didn't get an answer before, but now that people are playing, what are the odds I'll be able to play on minimum with a Core 2 Quad q8300 2.5 ghz? Should I just get it on console instead?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Even if we're going to accept the premise that dialog wheels are a good thing, this is an exceptionally lovely implementation of it. It allows for at most four responses at every prompt (Mass Effect's allowed for six, though I'll grant it didn't always use them) and very, very short summaries of what you're about to say. When you're using a dialog input method that is always criticized for "the summary didn't give me a good idea of what my character would say," the answer is not "make the summaries even shorter and vaguer!"

I will point out that it does technically allow for more prompts. You get that from time to time where one of the options is basically 'more.'

Not really much better though.

Geoff Zahn posted:

The storyline sounds like it's basically Empire Strikes Back, only instead of dad gay it's son gay

The storyline is just Blade Runner except your son is there for some reason despite this adding absolutely not a single loving thing to the plot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Quote is not edit.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Let's all go back to choosing from 1-27 paragraphs of text in a little scroll box.

YYZ
Apr 26, 2011

Anyone else crashing every ~15 minutes? Game seems to be running fine until it just suddenly stops. It's even crashing when I'm idling on the pause menu.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

Let's all go back to choosing from 1-27 paragraphs of text in a little scroll box.

This, but unironically.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

projecthalaxy posted:

What can change the nature of a man?

Is it poorly drawn dicks? Or HATE NEWSPAPER

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Okay, how do I tell it I don't have a gamepad? It doesn't let me use my keyboard because I had a SNES controller connected for a bit.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Harrow posted:

What is vague about "hate newspapers". It seems like the dropped even being full sentences in favor of being very direct and never vague about what your choices are.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
What's a good build for a loner sneaky sniper? I'm picturing a guy who primarily goes around sniping heads from a long distance but also sneaks around pickpocketing, stabbing people that are asleep, breaking into houses for ransacking money/loot, and doing a lot of gun modding.

Here's some starting stats at level 1 I'm thinking of:

STR: 1
PER: 8
END: 2
CHA: 3
INT: 5
AGI: 7
LCK: 2

Shooting for Pickpocket, Rifleman, Awareness, Locksmith, Night Person, Sniper, Lone Wanderer, Gun Nut, Sneak, Mister Sandman, Action Boy, Ninja, Fortune Finder, and Scrounger as perks (probably more).

Does Dogmeat count against the Lone Wanderer perk? Is there a way to use the dog as a sneaky sniper guy or does he just give your position away?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Also figure I should ask; is the user interface for crafting and inventory on PC as much of an waking nightmare as (unmodded) New Vegas?

iFriend
Sep 11, 2001

Having a bad day?
How can I disable depth of field completely?

[Imagespace]
bDoDepthOfField=0

Doesn't work or there is another Blur effect activated which I cant find :/

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

The storyline is just Blade Runner except your son is there for some reason despite this adding absolutely not a single loving thing to the plot.

That's even funnier than what I got from the admittedly small amount of spoiler I've seen. Dumb story aside I'm going to have a lot of fun being a murderhobo hoarder and shooting raiders in the dome for 200+ hours.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Having the conversation typed on screen then having the voice read the exact same thing you just read is dumb and no modern game does that. Name whatever game you think has great dialog and writing (mass effect, witcher, life is strange, walking dead) and literally every single one is doing the "pick the sort of response then the dialog expands on it" route instead of "the man reads the thing I clicked" like old games did.

I enjoyed the old fallout conversation trees, I'd propably enjoy a mute protagonist with written dialogue more than what it's right now. However, games like witcher or mass effect at least had more fluff dialogue options, like mass effects layered convo wheels, while fallout 4 is much more simple than that. I feel like I'm either skipping additional dialogue by accident or that it's just not there. For example, there's all this stuff about synths, but 4 hours in I've not heard one explanation about them at all.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Well I have come across a mirelurk. Unfortunately it was a legendary one. It wiped out four raiders and the caravan they were raiding. It then wrecked my face.

Game owns.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

Also figure I should ask; is the user interface for crafting and inventory on PC as much of an waking nightmare as (unmodded) New Vegas?

The UI for PC is, in fact, really bad and impressive because I didn't think it'd be worse than Skyrim

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I will miss u convoluted but detailed dialogue interface

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

YYZ posted:

Anyone else crashing every ~15 minutes? Game seems to be running fine until it just suddenly stops. It's even crashing when I'm idling on the pause menu.

I have this issue. A couple posts on reddit suggested opting into the beta patch, so I'm gonna try that.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Why are bash/power attack/grenade all bound to the same key wtf

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
After several of the free vpns failed, or connected through Singapore and not Australia, Avast worked like a charm (makes you wonder why they don't just implement a single global release time).

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

DeathSandwich posted:

Crafting isn't so bad, and inventory is the same as the older games as far as I can tell. You spend lots of time scrolling through it.

The conversation and settlement stuff is pretty terrible though. Every conversation has 4 options, and every player's fingers are going to be on WSAD - hey that's four buttons! Wouldn't it be handy to map those options to those keys? Nope, arrow keys or click. This means you can still walk around as you talk, but, honestly, just lock me in place and let me use goddamn WSAD. I can always just quickly press tab if I want out of the conversation. The settlement UI is atrocious and a complete pain in the rear end to navigate.

I'm having a good time with the game, but these UI problems become apparent within the first few minutes and are just an unnecessary irritant.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

"it just works"

• Locked thread