Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
hobo gylphs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
What would that be/what would do for a werewolf?

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf

tatankatonk posted:

What do you mean "the coolest"

What would you be most interested/excited to see on a character sheet (I'm preparing a pregenerated character)?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
You learn the secret written language of hobos, duh!

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf

Mors Rattus posted:

The one that lets me have my union bros back me up. Things might be going badly, but Miners' Local 221 has my back, and I've got theirs.

Got it: Allies in a worker's group. What do you do for the group once per chapter?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

JDCorley posted:

Got it: Allies in a worker's group. What do you do for the group once per chapter?

Well, I'm the guy they call to break some legs sometimes. We're honest folks out here and sometimes the Mob don't like that. So I'm here to make sure that the Mob doesn't mess with us. We're here for the workers.

Plus? Sometimes those guys are good for a Siskur-Dah.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Are you asking the thread to do your homework for you

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Definitely.

(I've never run Forsaken before and I don't know which Merits are good/fun for werewolves.)

JDCorley fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 6, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

fspades posted:

OPP only exists because CCP were idiots and did not want to do anything with the publishing company they bought. Now that we have a company which is presumably interested in publishing, OPP loses its reason for existence and its employees can directly work under WW again.

And if Paradox is not interested in publishing in-house, then why axe OPP? It's easy money from licensing.

Considering those weirdos went two full years over their release date with Exalted 3rd Edition, I would be careful with this. I can imagine Paradox looking at that shitshow and going "no thanks", then paying others to work on the IP instead.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

JDCorley posted:

What would that be/what would do for a werewolf?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1JIa5r5nkE

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Libluini posted:

Considering those weirdos went two full years over their release date with Exalted 3rd Edition, I would be careful with this. I can imagine Paradox looking at that shitshow and going "no thanks", then paying others to work on the IP instead.

It's possible to imagine lots of things.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Eeee!
I just got my WoD, Vampire and Overly Specific Condition cards today.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

JDCorley posted:

So let's say you're a werewolf in a rural, impoverished, but not blighted/DustBowled area in 1937. You have some cool Merits - what's the coolest? I'm especially looking for specifics in terms of social merits.

Barfly. You know about all the bars, including the bars for specific subgroups, and your camaraderie is such that even the hoighty toityist will let you in, as long as you don't abuse it. You can be a black dude at the local Klavern and nobody notices unless you start a fight. Basically barfly should make you wallpaper. Unless someone is making an effort, of course. This only works for you though, and collapses for a week or so if you try to bring someone wildly inappropriate with you.

Peztopiary fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 7, 2015

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Kavak posted:

Is there anything stopping a Mage from going the Prince route and making his Shadow Name really loving hard to pronounce or not even a name?

Depending of the local Consilium (or Assembly) laws, this may not even be allowed. If it is, nothing stops other mages from giving them another nickname and just roll with it. I suppose that every Shadow Name longer that 4 syllables gets abbreviated by everyone but most stuck-up thearchs.

Giving yourself a joke Shadow Name may be even appreciated by Libertines, but will piss the Diamond Orders off. It's serious business, that's supposed to symbolically represent your soul. A stupid name signifies that the candidate doesn't treat the Atlantean society seriously and perhaps is on the way to become a Banisher. Seers are even more rigid, considering they are about Exarch worship..

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
2002's done. Gonna run through the tallies tomorrow and do my usual count and nerding, but for now, have the Vampire figure. 13,665 entries versus the 10,965 for the end of 2001. Big year for vampire - the new Dark Ages edition came out, as did Victorian Age Vampire (the novels for which were actually legitimately pretty good, if not exactly high art) along with several major city books, and a large new deck for VTES. If my spreadsheet is right, 2002 is actually the biggest 'growth year' for the raw vampire data as a result - at least so far. It may be tied with 2001, though, as there are two 2015 books that are thrown in because I did them as well as they came out.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Gantolandon posted:

Depending of the local Consilium (or Assembly) laws, this may not even be allowed. If it is, nothing stops other mages from giving them another nickname and just roll with it. I suppose that every Shadow Name longer that 4 syllables gets abbreviated by everyone but most stuck-up thearchs.

Giving yourself a joke Shadow Name may be even appreciated by Libertines, but will piss the Diamond Orders off. It's serious business, that's supposed to symbolically represent your soul. A stupid name signifies that the candidate doesn't treat the Atlantean society seriously and perhaps is on the way to become a Banisher. Seers are even more rigid, considering they are about Exarch worship..

A minor detail, don't know if it makes it into any books, but Seers even call their Shadow Names "Sacred Names." They get really pissed off with frivolous Names.

Not for nothing are Orderless mages called "Nameless".

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Dave, are you implying Tall Drink of Slaughter isn't a sacred name? I don't think you understand the seriousness with which names are treated in roller derby. :colbert:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The Seers would obviously see going by a fake name as a holy privilege because the fallen world assigned you your real name for a reason (so that you could be more easily monitored and controlled with sympathetic magic, for one) and if you eschew yours without special dispensation to stop using it then you're probably some kind of sicko.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Alright, the tallies are done... The usual caveats apply - some items were done out of order due to circumstance, some are duplicates, some refer to multiple things in a single entry (e.g. 4 unnamed Sabbat, etc), and this is all just a very rough indicator of year-by-year demographic growth in canonical oWoD books and media.
Vampire: 12889, up from 2001's 10189. With VTES, 13665 up from 10965. 2700 new entries either way, due in large part to the already mentioned releases. The biggest year of growth Vampire has ever seen so far. One book made mention of there being 40,000 living cainites in the year 2002, with 40,000 having existed in prior centuries. I don't quite think the numbers actually add up, but we'll see. Also notable: There's a living cappadocian still in Egypt (an actual one, not a Harbinger. There was always the possibility of the Lazarene cappies remaining, but it throws shade on that prophecy about them) and Iceland apparently had Scandinavian settlement in 457AD. For those of you not up on your Iceland, it wasn't settled by anyone until about 800, maybe a little earlier, and not by Scandinavians until about 874AD. Just another of the bizarre and frustrating historical errors in the Dark Ages lines, and not a deliberate decision like the cities of Transylvania developing a century or two early for storyteller's convenience.

Werewolf: 5879, up from 4836. 1043 new entries, due in large part to the new tribe books that came out that year. Second highest year of growth, after 2000, for the line.

Mage: 5879, up from 2001's 4836. Mage grows quite slowly in real terms as a lot of entries are duplicates between books, so the real figure is quite a bit lower.

Spirits: 4744, up from 4499. I'm a bit slack with a lot of spirit entries to be honest, as they tend to repeat an awful lot. So there's probably a 5%+/- leeway on that figure. That aside, growth slowed quite a lot when Wraith ended.

Fae: 1882, up from 1875. With Changeling finished and Dark Ages: Fae not yet released, there's not a lot of explicit mentions of individual fae and changelings in 2002, though I think a couple got jotted down as spirits by accident. So the real figure might be 1890 at the high end, or 1885 at the low.

Hunter: Just imbued, as always. 1130, up from 799. Quite a lot of duplicates between books, though.

General: Corporations, products, non-imbued hunters, etc. Up to 2011 from 2001's 1492 - the single biggest year of growth. Why? Simple. A couple of heavy duty Mummy items came out, along with items focusing specifically on non-imbued hunters.

Demon: The first entry, since it came out this year. 153 entries, which is the weakest 'first year' so far - but Demon was never really about a vast and complex underworld society. It also happens to be my favourite game line of the oWoD because of its themes and its internal consistency, even if it had its problems.

Next up, 2003 - things start getting pretty apocalyptic, a lot of very good books come out, and Orpheus launches. We're closing in on the end stretch of the oWoD's first run now, and soon my labours will cease.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
Sometimes, silly names just happen. Got a Thyrsus who named their personal spirit champion Vine-Alloces-Sabnock, which became Vas. Darn thing bows and scrapes so often that there's endless jokes about Vas deference.

Doesn't matter how big or mystical your reputation is, that one's sticking.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
RPS posted an interview with White Wolf's new CEO, surprisingly mostly focusing on the tabletop side of things: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/11/09/white-wolf-interview/

It's mostly pretty non-committal and 'we can't talk about it yet', and it sounds like they weren't actually able to start discussions with Onyx Path until the merger went through. Mostly it sounds like they haven't decided anything yet, although this exchange hints as their ambitions:

----

RPS: What do you think you can offer to White Wolf and their fans that hadn’t been there before?

Sjögren: That is a hard question considering this is a brand with 25 years of great products and amazing individuals that have created some pretty solid and mind bending products. However we would not have done this acquisition if we didn’t think there are things that we can add to the ecosystem of products and to support our great partners. Products wise we’ll talk about what we can do when we have concrete things to show. On the more general level we will roll out a powerful and provocative contemporary storyline, making sure there is a singular World of Darkness story that is easy to get into for neonates but builds on and deepens the universe that elder fans love. And yeah, there have not been enough video games set in the World of Darkness. That’s a huge thing we can offer right there.

----

It'll be interesting to see if this is something like an adventure path, or more like an entirely new setting.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
That's a pretty encouraging interview.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I'm going to be absolutely tickled if we get a blended post-Gehenna Req/Mas vampire smashup that tries to serve both lines.

Treat "the masquerade" as a 9/11 truther open conspiracy theory and introduce the division between vampires as a more public/less public cold war that cuts across old clan/covenant/sect lines.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
It seems clear to me that they consider most of the value in the IP as sunk value from the 90's. What's been done since 2004 is gravy but exists mostly to patch holes in the classic stuff. That's World of Darkness anyway. I don't see why OP wouldn't keep writing new games but its such a tiny niche industry compared to the payout you could get cashing in on 90's nostalgia. Not a huge fan of it but what can you really expect?

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Here's how you make an ultimate unified World of Darkness.

Step 1: Get NWOD
Step 2: Replace Beast with Wraith
Step 3: That's it.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

I understood this more as them wanting to rewrite the oWoD to have a consistent storyline, because the anniversary editions weren't too good in establishing what the gently caress happened after 2005. A major rewrite, as opposed to putting a new paint job and some chrome on the 20-years old vehicle would actually be good. This could allow them to put Wraith back and completely ditch Changeling, for example. I can't imagine them mashing nWoD and oWoD together, especially in case of the Mage.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yeah, Wraith's the only thing they'd want to salvage from the Old World of Darkness besides Masquerade, which despite all its problems still has a gigantic imprint.

Just please don't gently caress over Forsaken, okay guys? :sad:

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Replace Beast with Wraith, and Geist with Demon: the Fallen.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
As someone who greatly prefers nWoD and the tool box/sandbox approach to the setting, this isn't really what I want to hear. Segregating the cotent into nWoD and oWoD worked pretty perfectly for giving people who wanted different flavours of the same food different buffet lines.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I fear for the return of metaplot.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Kavak posted:

Yeah, Wraith's the only thing they'd want to salvage from the Old World of Darkness besides Masquerade, which despite all its problems still has a gigantic imprint.

Just please don't gently caress over Forsaken, okay guys? :sad:

Meh, I actually liked the old Mage and wouldn't mind to have it back, just rewritten to be less 90s. The anniversary edition, unfortunately, failed to do that.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Axelgear posted:

As someone who greatly prefers nWoD and the tool box/sandbox approach to the setting, this isn't really what I want to hear. Segregating the cotent into nWoD and oWoD worked pretty perfectly for giving people who wanted different flavours of the same food different buffet lines.

Yeah, I'm still cautiously optimistic here but this is not really heartening.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

If they shut down the NWOD I hope they at least let OPP finish up the remaining 2E books they have lined up. I know they're letting them finish their Kickstarter books, at least.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

I believe Dave (not sure which one?) already confirmed that that the books in the pipeline are already contracted and so are going to happen, didn't he?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Luminous Obscurity posted:

:agreed:

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Replace Beast with Wraith, and Geist with Demon: the Fallen.
This guy gets it.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Call me crazy but I don't really see appealing to a bunch of near-dead 45 year old larpers who still work at 7/11 being a winning business strategy. I hope they are gonna keep making actually good games because every gamer I know over like 33 is so stuck in their ways they haven't bought any book made after 2003. Anecdotal of course, but there you are.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Gerund posted:

I'm going to be absolutely tickled if we get a blended post-Gehenna Req/Mas vampire smashup that tries to serve both lines.

But... that would be terrible?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Dammit Who? posted:

But... that would be terrible?

nothing is good or bad, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Can't wait for an epic metaplot that Unites The Editions, fursonally.