Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Apropos of nothing but Helsing you write really well and have a great grasp of the issues.

You'd make a good columnist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

The Butcher posted:

Apropos of nothing but Helsing you write really well and have a great grasp of the issues.

You'd make a good columnist.

No, that'd make him a terrible columnist.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Femtosecond posted:

What do you think were the main causes of this?

a) Demographic change in the riding
b) Riding redistribution changes
c) Candidate
d) Trudeau-mania
e) other?

In the past I was under the impression it was a clearly NDP leaning riding, but clearly that's changed.

I think it has the most to do with this:

The Liberals absolutely swept Toronto, they completely wiped out the NDP in every single riding. Of course there are local factors that Helsing mentioned, like Chow never actually being a particularly inspiring campaigner and the redistricting shifting the riding boundaries, and Vaughan being a pretty popular politician in the area dating back to his time as a much-liked city councillor for the area, but the crux of the matter is that Trudeau's national campaign crushed Mulcair's and Toronto was no exception.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

quote:

There's a difference between literally surgery only on your eye (often covered) and regular eye checkups and glasses/contact lenses (not covered except in certain specific circumstances). Funnily enough afaik the same doesn't apply to dental procedures, dental surgery is almost never covered.

Wanted to chime in cause I'm the friend Brannock mentioned. I have progressive degenerative vision in my right eye due to Keratoconus, and the only publicly covered treatment is a corneal transplant, which is only done after the cornea is split and needs replacement. In the meantime I have greatly diminished driving ability and I can no longer read out of my bad eye anymore. The treatment I could get today (crosslinking and laser correction) is not covered under OHIP, which is balls.

As my understanding, vision becomes covered by OHIP when it falls into a trauma category (Ahh! I'm blind!) rather than preventative (Wow, I'm going blind REALLY fast). It's still tax deductible though, which takes a little bit of the bite out.

And yeah, it's a super aggressive version of it. I am literally losing vision by the day. It sucks dick.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Amgard posted:

As my understanding, vision becomes covered by OHIP when it falls into a trauma category (Ahh! I'm blind!) rather than preventative (Wow, I'm going blind REALLY fast).

That's outrageous.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Amgard posted:

Wanted to chime in cause I'm the friend Brannock mentioned. I have progressive degenerative vision in my right eye due to Keratoconus, and the only publicly covered treatment is a corneal transplant, which is only done after the cornea is split and needs replacement. In the meantime I have greatly diminished driving ability and I can no longer read out of my bad eye anymore. The treatment I could get today (crosslinking and laser correction) is not covered under OHIP, which is balls.

As my understanding, vision becomes covered by OHIP when it falls into a trauma category (Ahh! I'm blind!) rather than preventative (Wow, I'm going blind REALLY fast). It's still tax deductible though, which takes a little bit of the bite out.

And yeah, it's a super aggressive version of it. I am literally losing vision by the day. It sucks dick.

Tell them you identify as a person with binocular vision and they'll help you out. Are you getting the surgery regardless? How much is it?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

flakeloaf posted:

That's outrageous.

It's also very myopic.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

vyelkin posted:

For whatever reason it's very uncommon for Canadian politicians to migrate from provincial to federal politics. You see them move down from federal to provincial fairly regularly (usually, I would imagine, after realizing they'll never get a shot at the top job but they could still be a premier or provincial cabinet minister) but it's very rare for premiers or provincial party leaders, even successful and popular ones, to try and move up. We're very unlike the US in that regard, where it seems like half the country's governors only see their role as a temporary one until they can run for president.

The only one that could shift is maybe Wynn despite Ikantski hatred of her most credit her for destroying Harper in Ontario. There was a ton about it in Wells long-form election wrapup.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Ikantski posted:

Tell them you identify as a person with binocular vision and they'll help you out. Are you getting the surgery regardless? How much is it?

As cyclops-gender, this is problematic to me because-

And yeah, I'm gonna get the surgery regardless. I have a wedding to pay for first, though. Then I can see (hah) how I can shore up the 5.4k needed to see properly again.

quote:

It's also very myopic.

:vince:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Amgard posted:

I have a wedding to pay for first, though.

I don't mean to be insensitive, but are you quite sure you have your priorities in the right order?

On another subject: as a result of this discussion, I decided to look into dental/vision insurance. Holy gently caress, what a ripoff that is. There's an absurdly low annual payout limit for dental care, and they only cover 75% anyway, so the best case scenario is I don't lose any money compared to just paying dental visits in cash. Is their target market "people who can't do math?" I'd come out ahead just depositing my premium into a savings account.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

PT6A posted:

I don't mean to be insensitive, but are you quite sure you have your priorities in the right order?

On another subject: as a result of this discussion, I decided to look into dental/vision insurance. Holy gently caress, what a ripoff that is. There's an absurdly low annual payout limit for dental care, and they only cover 75% anyway, so the best case scenario is I don't lose any money compared to just paying dental visits in cash. Is their target market "people who can't do math?" I'd come out ahead just depositing my premium into a savings account.

Doesn't Alberta have basically 3D6+X as their price guide? Insurance is meant to cover you when bad things happen as well, you would be wise to have some lest you become a debt slave (to a non mortgage lender)

ed: wait aren't you in tech? How are you a professional without benefits?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

jm20 posted:

Doesn't Alberta have basically 3D6+X as their price guide? Insurance is meant to cover you when bad things happen as well, you would be wise to have some lest you become a debt slave (to a non mortgage lender)

afaik he's a self-employed tech contractor, so he doesn't get benefits unless he buys them himself.

But yeah for 99.9% of Canadians you either don't have dental/vision benefits or your employer provides them. I don't think I know anybody who actually buys dental insurance on their own.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

jm20 posted:

Because Alberta is a lovely place. I don't think PT6A is technically a professional in the sense that he belongs to one of the independent professional societies, but I know loads of Engineers who are self-incorporated "independent contractors", and then employed by a single company. That way the employee is on the hook for figuring out their benefit packages. Of course there's lots of case law that says that those people aren't really independent contractors, they're employees and should be treated as such, but I don't think there's any labour body to enforce those rules.

vyelkin posted:

But yeah for 99.9% of Canadians you either don't have dental/vision benefits or your employer provides them. I don't think I know anybody who actually buys dental insurance on their own.

People do, sort of. Said "independent contractors" have their personal corporations buy vision/dental insurance, and then provide it as a benefit to the only employee (themselves) and any dependants. It's stupid as hell, and the oil industry is rife with it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

jm20 posted:

If the dental benefits are capped at something like $600/year, which is what the policy said, I submit to you that it wouldn't cover a dental emergency very well at all. I pay $380/visit twice-yearly for my regular dental checkups and cleaning, so given 75% coverage, I'd still be right up against the payout limit without anything happening. Besides, I have plenty of money to pay for more spendy dental work, it just means I'd have less money to do other things with and/or invest.

And, yeah, I'm self-employed. Maybe I can get a policy that's not poo poo if I buy it through my corporation and then offer it to myself, but I'm guessing they'd see through such a cheap trick.

EDIT: I mean, I understand that insurance has to make money and therefore my plan premiums ought to cost more than cleanings alone, but I expect a higher payout cap so there's actually some benefit to buying it.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 9, 2015

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I'm really curious as to why you put marriage above not going blind. It must be true love.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-foreign-affairs-art-queen-1.3310633

quote:

The Queen Elizabeth portrait is out and twin paintings by Quebec modern master Alfred Pellan are back in.

Today, the paintings Canada West and Canada East are on back on display on the wall in the front reception area at the Foreign Affairs building in Ottawa, four years after they were taken down and replaced by a giant portrait of the Queen.

John Babcock, a spokesman for the newly named Global Affairs Canada, said the re-installation of the pair of paintings represents "continued interest in representing the best of Canada at every opportunity."

"Global Affairs Canada is committed to showcasing Canada, our art and our culture in all of our facilities, whether at home here in Canada or abroad in our embassies, high commissions and consulates," he wrote in a statement to CBC News. "These brightly coloured paintings ... depict some of the best of Canada and are an excellent way to welcome Canadians and guests to Global Affairs Canada."

quote:

The paintings were originally commissioned for the first Canadian mission in Brazil for its opening in 1944, and were painted just after Pellan had returned from Paris and the Second World War, Babcock said. They were originally placed above the reception desk when Queen Elizabeth officially opened the building in 1973.

In 2011, then foreign affairs minister John Baird instructed that the pair of historic paintings by celebrated Quebec modern master Alfred Pellan be replaced by a 2002 portrait of the Queen.

The change was ordered before the visit of Prince William and Kate in June 2011.

In addition to the Foreign Affairs Lester B. Pearson Building on Sussex Drive, embassies and missions abroad were also instructed to display portraits of the Queen.

Government documents later revealed the Conservative government had quietly planned to sell the Pellan paintings, but the plan was spiked after a public outcry in Quebec.

At the time, the paintings were valued at $90,000 each.
I'm enjoying even the smallest gestures in the attempts to dismantle Harper's legacy.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

PT6A posted:

No need to be worried about insensitivity, I've heard that argument. But it's a hell of a lot more difficult to delay a wedding I've paid well over half into than it is to defer a crosslinking treatment. The thing is with keratoconus is it's an unevenly progressing disorder so I have just as much urgency to get it done now as I do months from now. The plan is to have it done in the new year (and despite what friends or family are saying, I can certainly wait out that long). I appreciate the thought though.

Plus right now I can't take off the week needed to recover from having my eyes bombarded with radiation and riboflavin. :v:

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
--

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 2, 2016

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Melian Dialogue posted:

I wouldn't really consider a portrait of the Queen to be really Harper's legacy. Unless you really think the Conservatives traditional throwbacks are somehow nefarious in nature, which I don't think you do.

I like portraits of the Queen, but more like 1930s portraits of a young Elizabeth because Im a giant hipster who thinks old things are cool not because I want to go back to being a British subject who hates brown people or something.

seriously, at least go for a good portrait.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Melian Dialogue posted:

I like portraits of the Queen, but more like 1930s portraits of a young Elizabeth because Im a giant hipster who thinks old things are cool not because I want to go back to being a British subject who hates brown people or something.

Also, Liz was totally hot when she was younger (but let's say portraits post-WW2, since she was born in 1926).

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
--

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 2, 2016

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Melian Dialogue posted:

I wouldn't really consider a portrait of the Queen to be really Harper's legacy. Unless you really think the Conservatives traditional throwbacks are somehow nefarious in nature, which I don't think you do.

Having a bunch of paintings of Dear Leader hanging everywhere is grotesque. Actual art should replace this Big Sister Is Watching poo poo at every opportunity.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
--

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 2, 2016

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
So apparently BC stopped tracking the number of people turned away from homeless shelters this year.

Accurate metrics for homelessness are notoriously hard to develop. This is an actually useful way to track how well we're doing on emergency housing, plus it's an easy measurement. What the hell.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
The ostrich approach to problems

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
What kind of plan only has $600 in dental coverage? What would the premium be? Frankly I'm so thankful for my employer health plan. The dental part is a max of 5000 for a rolling three year period for a single person and 10,000 for a family if I recall. I do wonder what the whole premium is though. My employer pays for the entire thing, including the employee part of the contribution, and it goes on my pay stub as about $600 a year. I wonder if that's the whole thing or only a proportion.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Melian Dialogue posted:

Paging CI to come and call me a raging jackboot authoritarian but I like having national symbols of unity that represents something more than just the Government of the day. Even if it happens to be some old lady in another country.

It's not like they decided to hang pictures of JT in its place, though. I don't really give a poo poo if Queenie is up there one way or the other.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

PT6A posted:

If the dental benefits are capped at something like $600/year, which is what the policy said, I submit to you that it wouldn't cover a dental emergency very well at all. I pay $380/visit twice-yearly for my regular dental checkups and cleaning, so given 75% coverage, I'd still be right up against the payout limit without anything happening. Besides, I have plenty of money to pay for more spendy dental work, it just means I'd have less money to do other things with and/or invest.

And, yeah, I'm self-employed. Maybe I can get a policy that's not poo poo if I buy it through my corporation and then offer it to myself, but I'm guessing they'd see through such a cheap trick.

EDIT: I mean, I understand that insurance has to make money and therefore my plan premiums ought to cost more than cleanings alone, but I expect a higher payout cap so there's actually some benefit to buying it.

If you work through one of the big agencies they should offer a group rate for benefits. Alberta has the highest dental rates in the country also, so shop around.

JawKnee posted:

The ostrich approach to problems

The Harper approach you mean

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Gorau posted:

What kind of plan only has $600 in dental coverage? What would the premium be? Frankly I'm so thankful for my employer health plan. The dental part is a max of 5000 for a rolling three year period for a single person and 10,000 for a family if I recall. I do wonder what the whole premium is though. My employer pays for the entire thing, including the employee part of the contribution, and it goes on my pay stub as about $600 a year. I wonder if that's the whole thing or only a proportion.

The premium was going to be something like $70/month. Total bullshit. I'm going to see if another insurer offers high-deductible coverage for the really expensive poo poo, since that's really the only thing I want covered.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Eej posted:

Wow I just realized that Olivia Chow resigned from her MP spot in her failed bid for mayor of Toronto and then didn't get re-elected in the federal election.

Maybe Ryerson will take her back even though she flaked out on them 3 months into her job to run for MP.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

jm20 posted:

If you work through one of the big agencies they should offer a group rate for benefits.

I don't. 100% independant.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Haha, the minister responsible for housing is the LNG minister.

Leading to this hilarious ministry webpage: http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/governments/organizational-structure/ministries-organizations/ministries/natural-gas-development

"Ministry of Natural Gas Development & Responsible for Housing"

Oh BC Liberals :allears:

Edit: Since I'm making fun of BC ministries, I guess I should point out to non-BC people that we seriously have a full on ministry called "The Ministry of Small Business, Red Tape Reduction"

T.C. fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 9, 2015

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
(Thank you for the nice comments upthread, you're too kind)

Have a story about two people who should have died. If I didn't know better I'd say the quotes from the doofus quoted here, like, were, like, from, like, an onion story or whatever.

quote:

BANFF, Alta. — A couple of young tourists from Ontario managed to get away safely after doing nearly everything wrong in their encounter with a grizzly bear in Banff National Park.

Hilary Grant and her friend were on a hike when they spotted a female grizzly from a distance.

Grant, who captured the encounter on her cell phone, says they didn't know what to do so they ducked into the forest and got down on the ground.

But the grizzly, known to Parks Canada as Bear 148, moved in to investigate and at one point was just metres away.

While Grant kept the camera going and the pair whispered in excitement, the bear eventually moved on.

Experts say trying to hide from a bear isn't a great idea; it's better to keep a distance and quietly back away as soon as you can so as to avoid an encounter.

Grant admits she had no idea what the right thing to do was.

"Do we just lie down, or, like, do we climb trees?'' Grant recalled in an interview with CTV Calgary. "I'm, like, I can't climb a tree. I'm, like, we're going to be eaten and we ate so much bacon that day. So, like, she's totally going to kill us.''

Steve Michel, a wildlife specialist with Banff National Park, says things could have ended badly if the bear had cubs or was looking for a meal, something they're doing a lot of in a poor buffalo berry season.

"The best thing you can do if you see a bear at a distance is continue to give it as much space as possible, to turn around and make different plans for the day.''

Michel notes that recently a grizzly known to locals as Split Lip ate a smaller grizzly, though its not known if Bear 136 actually killed its peer or just feasted on its remains.

"Grizzly bears are very opportunistic so they will eat any kind of food source that they can,'' says Michel.

Grant says if nothing else, she's glad to managed to film the frightening encounter.

"I said if I ever see a bear and I'm going to get attacked, it better be on video.''

Meanwhile, officials have confirmed that a bear which attacked a couple of unoccupied vehicles in Kananaskis Village has been destroyed.

The 23-year-old grizzly known as Bear 88 is also believed responsible for trying to break into several trailers at the Mount Kidd RV Park last week.

One of the vehicles damaged by the bear needed more than $5,000 in repairs.

(CTV Calgary)

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
With Harper no longer in power and Nickelback unable to do this anymore...

What Canadian band can we expect to endorse Trudeau in such a way? Hedley?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 26, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

James Baud posted:

Just look into health spending accounts and fund one via your corporation, assuming that you are actually incorporated.

Will do. I am most definitely incorporated (you'd have to be crazy not to incorporate, IMO). Thanks for the heads up.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Melian Dialogue posted:

Paging CI to come and call me a raging jackboot authoritarian but I like having national symbols of unity that represents something more than just the Government of the day. Even if it happens to be some old lady in another country.

Art from prominent Canadians, painted in the 1940s, is pretty much the closest to a national symbol of unity you're going to find. Stuff by Canadians about Canada is worth a hell of a lot more than another generic portrait of a lady who has nothing to do with this country aside from some pieces of paper nobody with a brain gives a poo poo about.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

PittTheElder posted:

Because Alberta is a lovely place. I don't think PT6A is technically a professional in the sense that he belongs to one of the independent professional societies, but I know loads of Engineers who are self-incorporated "independent contractors", and then employed by a single company. That way the employee is on the hook for figuring out their benefit packages. Of course there's lots of case law that says that those people aren't really independent contractors, they're employees and should be treated as such, but I don't think there's any labour body to enforce those rules.

People do, sort of. Said "independent contractors" have their personal corporations buy vision/dental insurance, and then provide it as a benefit to the only employee (themselves) and any dependants. It's stupid as hell, and the oil industry is rife with it.

federal government has been cracking down on that for a number of years now some people I know through work got told they owed tens of thousands in back taxes now as the government said if the only reason you're not an employee is because you have a shell company to go through we're considering you a personal services business for the past X years, re-evaluate your taxes, and also become an employee of the company.

Also, companies would force new hires to do this route so they wouldn't have to pay benefits, CPP, and depending on the contract overtime/holiday pay etc so i do have some sympathy for certain people

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, with the amount of people I know who are either passionately anti-monarchist or just don't give a poo poo about the royal family or its links to Canada in any way I would not say a picture of the queen is a symbol of national unity. I think most Canadians just don't care one way or the other and if and she was taken off our coins people would barely notice. I doubt the english royal family is very popular in Quebec either.

I don't really give a poo poo, she just seems like some foreign relic. I don't really emotionally associate her with Canada or "unity" in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'll mention as well that Helsing has really been on point lately. If you want to do something more structured like a weekly piece (I hesitate to suggest a blog) or something that could be searched by archive I'd read it. You post good stuff outside this thread too, even in that stupid political fantasies thread you gave the most thoughtful response.

Keep it up.