Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Just finished listening to the Watch Out for Fireballs on System Shock 2.

I honestly think you guy's opinion on the game isn't nearly as controversial as you think it is. Pretty much all of the bad design you discuss is fairly widely derided. I think the debate basically splits down into whether it's a gem set in a turd or a turd set in a diamond.

Couple of other points:
The model enhancement mod that Kole was using is absolute poo poo. In addition to the indefensible giant breasts it gives all women characters, it turns the weird and creepy design of the hybrids into angry zombie men that just look dreadful. The original version of the mod replaced the cyborg midwife's skull faced raw flesh design with a naked version of the giant boob model with metal legs. I think the most recent version has moved back to higher poly version of the skull face design, but the original graphic are still significantly better in terms of evoking the horror tone much better (which might explain why you didn't find it as scary as Gary).

I think the story about the ending cinematic is that it was originally contracted out, but Ken Levine hated what the contractor produced, so they had to produce a new ending in a hurry with absolutely no budget left. This scenario implies the existence of an ending even worse than the one we got which is hard to believe, or that Ken Levine genuinely can't tell the difference between good and bad.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Bug Squash posted:

This scenario implies the existence of an ending even worse than the one we got which is heard to believe, or that Ken Levine genuinely can't tell the difference between good and bad.
Perhaps the answer is somewhere in the middle :suicide:

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

TetsuoTW posted:

Perhaps the answer is somewhere in the middle :suicide:

Magnificent.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Oh man, Rocket Slime! I'm upwards of 50% sure I tossed that into the WOFF suggestion form like a week ago, so I take full credit.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
More importantly, Fallout 3! I can't wait to listen to that episodes, I spent like 200 hours in that game across a few characters and I love it so much.

Liberty Prime is the best.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

More importantly, Fallout 3!

No.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Go.

Away.

Smoothskin.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

HMS Boromir posted:

Oh man, Rocket Slime! I'm upwards of 50% sure I tossed that into the WOFF suggestion form like a week ago, so I take full credit.

Rocket Slime is so good

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Rocket Slime is so good

this is blowin my mind. I found that game in a bargin bin years and years ago, bought it on a whim, and thought it was totally awesome & weird. But I have never heard it mentioned once, anywhere.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bug Squash posted:

Just finished listening to the Watch Out for Fireballs on System Shock 2.

I honestly think you guy's opinion on the game isn't nearly as controversial as you think it is. Pretty much all of the bad design you discuss is fairly widely derided. I think the debate basically splits down into whether it's a gem set in a turd or a turd set in a diamond.

Couple of other points:
The model enhancement mod that Kole was using is absolute poo poo. In addition to the indefensible giant breasts it gives all women characters, it turns the weird and creepy design of the hybrids into angry zombie men that just look dreadful. The original version of the mod replaced the cyborg midwife's skull faced raw flesh design with a naked version of the giant boob model with metal legs. I think the most recent version has moved back to higher poly version of the skull face design, but the original graphic are still significantly better in terms of evoking the horror tone much better (which might explain why you didn't find it as scary as Gary).

I think the story about the ending cinematic is that it was originally contracted out, but Ken Levine hated what the contractor produced, so they had to produce a new ending in a hurry with absolutely no budget left. This scenario implies the existence of an ending even worse than the one we got which is hard to believe, or that Ken Levine genuinely can't tell the difference between good and bad.

Definitely a poo poo smear on a diamond. If there's one thing I thought BioShock genuinely did better from a design standpoint is make every combat option viable. SS2 has a bunch of junk upgrades and sucks as a first time player having to look up a good character build that doesn't leave you dry thirty minutes in.

And man, toss Rebirth in the garbage! Like one of the creepiest things about the hybrid is that their faces are frozen in horror with sad eyes and mouths agape. Turning them into angry faced zombies adds nothing to the game.

I'd say if playing for the first time use SHTUP for hi-res textures, Tacticool, and maybe Vurt's Organics which changes a few models but for the better IMO. I really think that hi-poly mods to old games are like the Ecce Homo "restoration". Sure, the original is cracked and scarred but now you have this new model that stands out in contrast to everything else yet still looks like (higher detailed) poo poo.

And gently caress yeah, Rocket Slime. The Dragon Quest series is one of the happiest franchises. I dare you to play it without smiling.

e: I'm looking at the latest build of SCP released this month and it looks like Rebirth fixed some models. Like the midwife still has huge decaying tits but the rest of her model is pretty on point.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 7, 2015

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

HMS Boromir posted:

I'm psyched about this because I just picked up a copy for $10 at the Portland Retro Games Expo.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I was literally just thinking about how Rocket Slime would make a good WOFF game, so it's funny that it's official now.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Rocket Slime is the only dragon quest game I've ever played

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Maybe if we can focus enough positive vibes in this thread Square will decide to localize the 3DS game

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

KoldPT posted:

Rocket Slime is the only dragon quest game I've ever played

Same except I also played Torneko: The Last Hope as a kid, which started my lifelong love of Mystery Dungeon (and to a lesser extent real-rear end roguelikes). DQ spinoff games are really good.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

bobservo posted:

I'm psyched about this because I just picked up a copy for $10 at the Portland Retro Games Expo.

I have no idea how you could work with/co-host a podcast with Jeremy Parish for literal years and only just get this game. For some reason my brain has him down as one of that game's biggest champions.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

END ME SCOOB posted:

I have no idea how you could work with/co-host a podcast with Jeremy Parish for literal years and only just get this game. For some reason my brain has him down as one of that game's biggest champions.

Relax, I bought and finished it when it originally came out in 2006.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
That would answer that then!

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Rocket Slime fuckin owns. It's been a thing I've known about because I remember the EGM review of it, but I only played it like 3 years ago. I think It got game of the month whenever it came out?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It came out in a weird drought where Wii and PS3 were around the corner and you started getting the tail end of PS2 and GCN. DS had one of its best years.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Never forget:

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

GUYS I JUST FOUND OUT KOLE HASN'T PLAYED IT BEFORE.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Woffle posted:

wow it's gonna be an ADVENTURE

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.

Woffle posted:

Gary acted like I told him I've never sneezed before. I didn't play it when it was new, and I've been saving it for the show because I know he likes it. Simple story.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Song For The Deaf posted:

Gary acted like I told him I've never sneezed before. I didn't play it when it was new, and I've been saving it for the show because I know he likes it. Simple story.

I think you're really gonna like it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Song For The Deaf posted:

Where's the long form GameStop receipt, Kole!?

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013
I wish I could play Rocket Slime for the first time again.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I literally never heard of the game before. How can it be so widely regarded and yet unknown? Did it get buried in the DS shitvalanch?

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013
It's a for-kids spin-off of an RPG series that has never done very well in the west and just kind of came and went during a period in which a lot of niche Japanese DS games were being localized. It probably didn't sell well considering they didn't localize the 3DS sequel, so it remains fairly obscure. Anyone who plays it seems to love it, because it's whimsical and charming and just dang awesome but It doesn't have brand penetration and we're pretty lucky we got it at all.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I liked Rocket Slime a lot. I don't think I ever finished it, but it's cool as heck.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

i liked that you could win without even bothering to run your own tank properly, just by going inside the enemy tank and loving everything up

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm looking for a copy of Rocket Slime to play along with those drat WOFF Boys, and like most of the listings are cart only... and it got me thinking.

I didn't really start keeping everything complete until I was about 11 or 12; I distinctly remember making a decision to keep all the boxes for my GBA games (which then I traded into Gamestop because I was a god drat idiot), but like... ever since stuff started using DVD cases, why would you toss out the box? Especially when it comes to stuff like DS carts since they're only a fart's width bigger than an SD card. I feel like I'm channeling Jeremy Parish.

Speaking of Gamestop, I checked one out this past weekend since I was unfortunate enough to be at a mall, and everything is in a generic bullshit case with the same bad Deviant Art characters from the mid 2000s.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
"Cart-only" is often synonymous with "fake".

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I bought a fake Super Mario Advance 4: SMB3 off of eBay in high school, and even it came with a box.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

"Cart-only" is often synonymous with "fake".

Nah, it's at least as much due to the fact that Gamestop these days tosses out all of their DS cases except for some of the pricier titles. Speaking of which...

Phone posted:

Speaking of Gamestop, I checked one out this past weekend since I was unfortunate enough to be at a mall, and everything is in a generic bullshit case with the same bad Deviant Art characters from the mid 2000s.

If anyone is interested in going to Gamestop and rapidly bloating their DS collection now's the time, most stores have a box of DS games in generic yellow envelopes and most third party games go for $1-$5. Over the past few months I've gotten some great/interesting stuff like Hotel Dusk, both Picross games, N+ and Contact and I've definitely seen Rocket Slime in there a handful of times.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm actually very thankful for chris tempering my expectations on overwatch on the last crate and crowbar. I was desperate to get in the beta but now I'm ok with waiting.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Phone posted:

I'm looking for a copy of Rocket Slime to play along with those drat WOFF Boys, and like most of the listings are cart only... and it got me thinking.

I didn't really start keeping everything complete until I was about 11 or 12; I distinctly remember making a decision to keep all the boxes for my GBA games (which then I traded into Gamestop because I was a god drat idiot), but like... ever since stuff started using DVD cases, why would you toss out the box? Especially when it comes to stuff like DS carts since they're only a fart's width bigger than an SD card. I feel like I'm channeling Jeremy Parish.

Some people just don't like clutter. It's made worse that we regularly sell pouches to hold your loose cartridges or cd's so at least in the West we have a deeply seated culture of tossing poo poo out. It's made even more worse that Nintendo appeals to a younger audience who see the box and manual as disposable.

Ironically loving nobody threw away VHS boxes, not even the chunky Disney clamshells.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Phone posted:

Never buy anything that's cart only online. The DS/GBA bootlegging hole runs deep as gently caress and it's almost impossible to tell what's legit beforehand, but the only way to even be remotely sure if it comes with a manual and box. I've gotten a sealed copy of a game that was clearly just a bunch of photocopied bullshit, but in those cases it's usually much easier to tell if something is bootlegged or not, and if you don't have a box/manual it's much harder.

Either way eBay will give you a full refund in literally 15 minutes if you report something as bootlegged, no questions asked, and you don't have to send anything back. They always take the side of the buyer.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

al-azad posted:

Ironically loving nobody threw away VHS boxes, not even the chunky Disney clamshells.
We just threw away literally over a hundred VHSes including most of the Disney ones. Those clamshells are insane space wasters, and they are at the age where the plastic literally disintegrates in your hands to boot. gently caress VHSes and especially gently caress clamshell VHS cases

Hakkesshu posted:

Never buy anything that's cart only online.
Boy howdy was it a pain in the rear end selling my cart-only copies of Metal Warriors, Secret of Mana, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Skyblazer, Link to the Past, Megaman X2, and Robotrek. Dozens and dozens of "IS THIS LEGIT" messages. Most people were satisfied by just me showing then the top and back of the cartridge for some reason, I was just clearing out my old games, I don't know about all this bootleg cart hootenanny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I never got the sense it was a big problem with SNES and the like (I've bought plenty of loose carts there), but with GBA/DS you can almost be certain that 90% of the listings on eBay are bootlegs. It's loving ridiculous how hard it can be to find a legit game sometimes.

• Locked thread