Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
His this been posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPZXkdD1RwQ

poor xbone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Harrow posted:

This, but unironically.

Mesadoram posted:

What can change the nature of a man?

Is it poorly drawn dicks? Or HATE NEWSPAPER

I wasn't being ironic, and was thinking specifically of things like Planescape and Icewind Dale, as well as Dragon Age Origins, their inheritor.

Imagine how much more nuance we could pile into our Commanders Shepard or Johns Fallout with that system. It's good. It is good unconditionally.

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
do I exit this particular screen/mode with tab? tab then enter? escape? (will escape show the pause menu this time instead???) who knows!

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
So, the writing is trash, the game is buggy as poo poo yada yada yada. It's a Bethesda game, all right.

But how's popping heads? Does shooting guns (not VATS, if it's still there) finally feel satisfying in a 3D Fallout game?

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Handiest thing ive discovered so far is if you double tap use on a terminal it zooms in for easier hacking.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Has the release patch even come out yet?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Smol posted:

So, the writing is trash, the game is buggy as poo poo yada yada yada. It's a Bethesda game, all right.

But how's popping heads? Does shooting guns (not VATS, if it's still there) finally feel satisfying in a 3D Fallout game?

All the reviews I've read say that shooting things is still not very good, and yet makes up a significant portion of the game. Shooting without using VATS is an exercise in frustration, so combat basically comes down to waiting for your AP to go up high enough to explode a guy's face in slow motion.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

0fps at 1 point!?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
PC Gamer endorses using VPN to get in early! http://www.pcgamer.com/this-one-weird-vpn-trick-will-maybe-let-you-play-fallout-4-right-now/

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

All the reviews I've read say that shooting things is still not very good, and yet makes up a significant portion of the game. Shooting without using VATS is an exercise in frustration, so combat basically comes down to waiting for your AP to go up high enough to explode a guy's face in slow motion.

I admit I don't get what you mean by this. It isn't top-tier shooting but I never had any trouble shooting without VATS in FO4.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Crappy Jack posted:

I've found the shooting pretty alright so far. I don't even know what the hotkey is for VATS because I haven't felt like I've needed it.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

For anybody who still needs to VPN, I wasn't having any luck with Vypr or whatever but avast worked like a charm 1st try

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Using the first computer terminal got me stuck, and I couldn't leave. Had to reload. Anyone else had this one?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Boz0r posted:

Using the first computer terminal got me stuck, and I couldn't leave. Had to reload. Anyone else had this one?

are you 120hz fps?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Geokinesis posted:

0fps at 1 point!?

Just when you thought it couldn't get any more cinematic.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Yeah.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Crappy Jack posted:

I'd take reviewer comments with a big grain of salt, they usually are trash at FPS games and can't shoot mens without VATS just by virtue of being bad. But some goons can probably tell us where the game lies on a scale from FO3 trash to CS:GO in terms of clicking heads.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

I wasn't being ironic, and was thinking specifically of things like Planescape and Icewind Dale, as well as Dragon Age Origins, their inheritor.

Imagine how much more nuance we could pile into our Commanders Shepard or Johns Fallout with that system. It's good. It is good unconditionally.

Yeah, I'm pretty much completely on board with that. I actually don't really see the need to have my character be voiced in a game like this. I'm not coming to Fallout or Dragon Age for a "cinematic experience." I understood it in Mass Effect, because that game's entire premise was "old school sci-fi movie," so making the dialog system more cinematic made sense. Stapling that onto every single RPG with a dialog system isn't the way to go, though.

I'd like to see a game like this try to add a little nuance into persuasion and intimidate checks, too. Instead of having grayed-out persuade and intimidate options that activate when you have the requisite skill, or percentage checks that you can try and possibly fail regardless of your skill level, have Speech skill silently add new options to the dialog menu without indicating that they're your persuade/intimidate options. Let the player figure out those are the better options. It's still not much--read the options and you can probably see "this one seems diplomatic and good and is probably my persuade option"--but it adds a layer beyond "pick the one flagged [SPEECH 70] for a better outcome!"

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
I'm currently mad I can finish some dumb building because the key to some terminal isn't in it, gently caress youTodd Howard where are you hiding it

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Smol posted:

It's significantly better than Fallout 3, but the enemies are very animated and move quickly so landing shots consistently is pretty difficult at times. I could see that turning a lot of people off, especially on consoles.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
so if you buy the physical PC copy of this you still need to download 19gb

that's cool, i didn't want to play this for the next thirty six hours due to my lovely australian internet anyway

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty much completely on board with that. I actually don't really see the need to have my character be voiced in a game like this. I'm not coming to Fallout or Dragon Age for a "cinematic experience." I understood it in Mass Effect, because that game's entire premise was "old school sci-fi movie," so making the dialog system more cinematic made sense. Stapling that onto every single RPG with a dialog system isn't the way to go, though.

I'd like to see a game like this try to add a little nuance into persuasion and intimidate checks, too. Instead of having grayed-out persuade and intimidate options that activate when you have the requisite skill, or percentage checks that you can try and possibly fail regardless of your skill level, have Speech skill silently add new options to the dialog menu without indicating that they're your persuade/intimidate options. Let the player figure out those are the better options. It's still not much--read the options and you can probably see "this one seems diplomatic and good and is probably my persuade option"--but it adds a layer beyond "pick the one flagged [SPEECH 70] for a better outcome!"

It would need to have a toggle, because some people really worry about their *~*immersion*~* and some people really get mad when they can't tell what the optimal choice is unambiguously.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I got stuck at the next console too, and now my weapon's disappeard. Is 120hz a problem, or what?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I read something about limiting your FPS to 110 or something to stop the bugs.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
So apparently Assface is on the list for voice acted names?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxxbX_1cONw

Frankenoodle
Jun 6, 2015

Everybody's talking at me
This is what I went with for my sneaky, sniper, nerd hacker build:

http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?build=7a.8.3.6.7.2

Lone Wanderer seems like a great choice instead of having a companion who will mess up your ambushes. Ninja for Sneak Attacks. Sniper for rank 3, eventually: +25% accuracy for VATS head shots. High INT for being able to make hi-tech mods. The 2 in Luck plus "You're SPECIAL" = 3 Luck for Bloody Mess.

EDIT: I read that Dogmeat counts as a companion, so that sucks. I was hoping he wouldn't. I might want to lose the Luck or CHA and pick up Armorer instead.

Frankenoodle fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 9, 2015

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

8-bit Miniboss posted:

here's the current list

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3rxqpv/codsworth_name_test_with_proof/

yes, apparently Assface is

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

homullus posted:

It would need to have a toggle, because some people really worry about their *~*immersion*~* and some people really get mad when they can't tell what the optimal choice is unambiguously.

Two different difficulty sliders: combat difficulty and, I dunno, "roleplaying immersion" or whatever. The higher the "roleplaying difficulty" you pick, the less information you get that your character wouldn't have.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

the gunplay is a solid "pretty okay" which is a major improvement over "dogshit" imo

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Harrow posted:

Two different difficulty sliders: combat difficulty and, I dunno, "roleplaying immersion" or whatever. The higher the "roleplaying difficulty" you pick, the less information you get that your character wouldn't have.

Well, there you go again, talking like a rational person.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

debating between boobies, titties, gently caress, and madam.fuz5 as a name.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Milky Moor posted:

so if you buy the physical PC copy of this you still need to download 19gb

that's cool, i didn't want to play this for the next thirty six hours due to my lovely australian internet anyway

I'm pretty sure this was the same deal with the PC box version of MGSV, once you opened it there was just a disc with a Steam installer and a cdkey to download the game.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
My PC is an i7 2600k with a Geforce 970 and it runs amazingly smooth if you turn godrays to low and disable motion blur. I'm also running it at 1440p @144hz. Also make sure your drivers are updated to the latest.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

homullus posted:

Well, there you go again, talking like a rational person.

Actually it would probably be better to have that "immersion" slider just be a checklist so you can pick and choose which ones you want. I could see someone wanting to not have speech checks flagged but still want quest markers or whatever, so putting that on a continuum wouldn't make sense.

Every RPG should have an "Ironman" mode like X-COM where it autosaves constantly and you can't quicksave/load to get yourself out of a decision that turned out poorly. (Not a Bethesda game or really any game built on one of their engines because you just know it'd lead to a bunch of saves that run into gamebreaking bugs and then you can't reload an earlier save. :v:)

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Has anybody been playing on Hard? Is it worth bumping up over normal to get more legendary enemies? Normal actually feels kind of okay 5 hours in, but the haunting call of unique items is hard to resist.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

MinorRed posted:

spoilers for some random conversation, I guess.

Fallout 4 dude really hates stuff, doesn't he?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

8-bit Miniboss posted:

'fuckface' also works

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Game really does look bad on consoles. So much geometry/texture pop-in.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

How often is the player name spoken? Seems like a lot of voice acting effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LvubPRR1D8

Basebuilding looks super fun.

• Locked thread