Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Oberleutnant posted:

That's horrifying and all the moreso because one day not too far in the future this sort of poo poo will be on billboards irl.

It'll be like Minority Report and he'll whisper your name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm a proud alumi of the "worst school in Wales" and mars bars were the least of our worries. The guys selling skag round the back were probably the thing I'd be more concerned with. It's very moreish.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Gove as Tory leader seems to be the best case scenario, but I think even tories now realise how unelectable he is.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

marktheando posted:

Gove as Tory leader seems to be the best case scenario, but I think even tories now realise how unelectable he is.

Ugh I didn't even realise that was what he meant

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

OwlFancier posted:

A small amount of chocolate at school is immaterial to the problem of childhood obesity, if anything banning snacks is indicative of a very poor attitude to tackling that problem. What you need instead is to stop kids wanting to eat unhealthily all the time. And you also need to get parents to not think that snack bans at school will compensate for their lack of support at home.

So;

Kids are getting fatter
Easier access to fatty and sugary foods is one of the leading contributors to the problem

But

Banning access to sugary and fatty foods in schools, where children spend the majority of their time awake, won't help?

Also the argument that 'X years ago, I ate pie and mash stuffed inside a deep fried pizza1 so my kids should be able too as well' is mind boggling.

1 patent pending

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Ugh I didn't even realise that was what he meant

I remember an article from a few years back about how Gove is the future, it was hilarious.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Total Meatlove posted:

So;

Kids are getting fatter
Easier access to fatty and sugary foods is one of the leading contributors to the problem

But

Banning access to sugary and fatty foods in schools, where children spend the majority of their time awake, won't help?

Also the argument that 'X years ago, I ate pie and mash stuffed inside a deep fried pizza1 so my kids should be able too as well' is mind boggling.

1 patent pending

Kids don't spend most of their time eating in school. And yes, banning access to it isn't helpful unless you provide an alternative. If kids are gravitating towards chocolate and sweets all the time, maybe it's because none of the other food you serve is remotely palatable?

The problem is not the availability of poo poo food, the problem, as in wider society, is that non poo poo food is unavailable. lovely food is cheaper and easier to prepare than non-poo poo food, and people aren't given the money or time to get non-poo poo food. Pay people better and give them time to cook and you'll see people eating better.

As far as schools go, serve decent school meals which aren't monstrously unhealthy or utterly inedible, and teach kids how to cook for themselves.

Wait no "ban sweets" is much less effort let's just do that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Total Meatlove posted:

So;

Kids are getting fatter

But

Do kids have easier access to sugary or fatty foods now? It seems that their school meals are far healthier and they're having to get people to mule in snacks from outside.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

There was a fat kid in my primary school class who brought a whole packet of jammy dodgers for an after lunch snack every day.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I hope that Michael Gove becomes the new Tory party leader so we can all save up all our pennies and put up billboards that quote Sarah Vine saying he's poo poo in bed.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

marktheando posted:

I remember an article from a few years back about how Gove is the future, it was hilarious.

He is, we're doomed

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Ddraig posted:

My best story of schools being loving weird places was when one day I got a very worrying phone call from my sister's headteacher. She said that I needed to come down immediately, as she had done something that could warrant exclusion.

I panicked and thought "loving hell, what has she done?" and went down immediately expecting the worst. When I arrived there was her headteacher, her head of year, and her own personal tutor all in this office so it looked pretty grim. They then carefully explained to me that the serious offence was that she had been, on the sly, taking orders for crisps and chocolates and such, smuggling them into school and selling them at a profit to all the kids who wanted them.

This was a 'very serious breach' of school policy. I had to stop myself quite hard from laughing in their face, but I did all the solemn nodding and saying how bad it was and assuring them that I would take matters into my own hands and she gave an apology and as such was only suspended for three days.

My sister was the Al Capone of the school world. That's pretty impressive for a 14 year old.

Was this before or after the news story about the kid who made like £300 a week doing this?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

OwlFancier posted:

A small amount of chocolate at school is immaterial to the problem of childhood obesity

Clearly it's not, unless you think the chocolate at school has no calories or the like.

OwlFancier posted:

What you need instead is to stop kids wanting to eat unhealthily all the time.

They're children, they make poor long term decisions*. The idea that children somehow nowadays are eating more sugary things because they want to eat them more than before is utter bullshit, as anyone who was or knew a child with a sweet tooth growing up can attest to.

Banning certain kinds of unhealthy snacks at schools is a sticking plaster on the stump where someone's head used to be. It is not a long term solution, it is not a short term solution, and the problem of obesity in all age groups is a reflection of our society - it happens because it benefits large corporations who sell the things, it happens because schools have been forced to sell off playing fields, it happens because schools can't provide healthy meals, it happens because work/life balance is terrible so fewer children are able to spend quality time with their parents, it happens because [everything that Thatcher did, essentially].

It won't halt the advance of early onset diabetes, no. It might delay it enough that you get a good number of positive outcomes over the whole population, though. And the "cost" to pay is tiny.

*So do adults, but it's ok when they have terrible lives because blurble blurble blurble

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Gonzo McFee posted:

I hope that Michael Gove becomes the new Tory party leader so we can all save up all our pennies and put up billboards that quote Sarah Vine saying he's poo poo in bed.

Lie on your back, hold your device above your head and slowly jiggle it up and down while gazing into the image below:

baka kaba posted:

Pretty sexy am I right

Yeah baby, yeah

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

serious gaylord posted:

Was this before or after the news story about the kid who made like £300 a week doing this?

It was last year, so I'm not sure.

She seems to have cleaned up her act now, anyway.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

They're children, they make poor long term decisions*. The idea that children somehow nowadays are eating more sugary things because they want to eat them more than before is utter bullshit, as anyone who was or knew a child with a sweet tooth growing up can attest to.

They may like sweets but when I was young I didn't only want to eat sweets and mcdonalds. I grew up being cooked for and I wanted proper cooked food when I was hungry. I liked sweets but I also wanted to eat lots of meat because I liked that too.

If you only feed kids poo poo food then they learn to like it. If you don't give them other good tasting food to desire then of course they're going to desire the lovely unhealthy food because that's their response to being hungry.

I didn't mostly want the ice cream when I was at school because the ice cream was especially good, it was because the rest of the food was loving abhorrent. Same way I didn't eat chips when I was at secondary school, because the chips were absolutely disgusting.

The growth of the ready meal market and the further requirement of both parents to be working along with the general poo poo state of school meals are probably the major reasons why kids eat worse, not because they can have sweets, but because they can't have anything else.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
You're acting as though these schools are banning sweets and still offering poo poo food.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

They may like sweets but when I was young I didn't only want to eat sweets and mcdonalds.

Your experience isn't universal. I have also made the point about the root causes.

The thing is though that the availability has also been higher. We didn't have snack machines in school when I was young, but coke et al plonked them everywhere until they were banned under Labour.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Total Meatlove posted:

So;

Kids are getting fatter

But

1 patent pending

Is there any evidence that access to sugary snacks is easier today than it was say 20 years ago? Cos over that period I've seen ads for junk food disappear, nutritional info become available, artificial ingredients no longer used (including ones that were actually harmful), no more tuck shops in schools, public awareness campaigns, portion size go down, etc, etc.

During my childhood you were practically encouraged to eat this poo poo, so I have no idea how obesity is a bigger issue. Is it a bigger issue, or is this a case broader awareness of the issue/better data gathering?

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 9, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Total Meatlove posted:

You're acting as though these schools are banning sweets and still offering poo poo food.

I doubt they're offering good, palatable meals at an affordable price.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Do kids have easier access to sugary or fatty foods now? It seems that their school meals are far healthier and they're having to get people to mule in snacks from outside.

When I'm on a half day from work and heading home past the school at lunchtime, I always see literally dozens of kids who got their lunch from a fast food chain or the chip/kebab shop. I don't know what's going on in the school canteen, but one way or another kids would rather have a McDogburger than eat it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Gee, it's almost as though doing stuff that people say you aren't supposed to is cool and attractive to some people :monocle:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

EvilGenius posted:

Is there any evidence that access to sugary snacks is easier today than it was say 20 years ago? Cos over that period I've seen ads for junk food disappear, nutritional info become available, artificial ingredients no longer used (including ones that were actually harmful), no more tuck shops in schools, public awareness campaigns, portion size go down, etc, etc.
I wonder if becoming afraid of the wrong things has exacerbated it.
People stopped eating lard because they were told it was literally the devil and switched to things that were higher in trans-fats, and now they're telling people that lard is actually the better choice again.
People stopped eating artificially sweetened food and drink because they were told that it would instantly give them autistic supercancer, and now they're telling people that sugar is actually the worst thing.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

People stopped eating artificially sweetened food and drink because they were told that it would instantly give them autistic supercancer, and now they're telling people that sugar is actually the worst thing.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2014/09September/Pages/Do-artificial-sweeteners-raise-diabetes-risk.aspx for more on this topic

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The thing is that sugar has been known to be loving awful for you for a long, long time.

Then there was the whole shitstorm of erroneous and inconsistent logic linking certain fats with heart disease which meant that those fats were removed and replaced with sugar because the free market is awesome like that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Interestingly most of the sweeteners that contribute heavily to gut bacteria imbalance if overused were only brought in because of kneejerk bans or restrictions on other sweeteners due to non-human studies. The famous one being sodium cyclamate, which was banned in the US due to a test on rats that had them consuming the equivalent of 350 cans of soda a day, some of which got bladder tumors. This was not compared nor contrasted to the health effects of 350 cans of full sugar soda per day. Even though there has never been an EU ban on it and the studies have been contested, it is comparatively hard to find in food products. Cyclamate is one of the artificial sweeteners that doesn't taste like absolute balls ('flaps note: I don't know what balls, absolute or relative, taste like. I'd try Montana mountain oysters though.) so it's a shame.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I bet you could find somebody in Britain or America that drinks that much soda a day.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

EvilGenius posted:

During my childhood you were practically encouraged to eat this poo poo, so I have no idea how obesity is a bigger issue. Is it a bigger issue, or is this a case broader awareness of the issue/better data gathering?

Going back 22+ years (Christ), there were a load of vending machines around High School, and a Tuck shop twice a day by the main hall. No idea what they served after the 3rd year as I started taking sandwiches and eating outside from then on. The usual choices before that were something and chips. Always chips, big soggy chips, salad day - chips, with some grated carrot/lettuce and one of those ham slices with an egg in it. West Yorkshire in the early 90's, glorious.
And didn't every school have a kid who was all over the entrepeneur part of sweets? A kid out of my year and his older brother had that poo poo sewn up by second year, undercutting the tuckshop by going to the wholesalers. I doubt they were pulling £300 a week, but they were dealing nationally in old school arcade cabinets/pinball tables by the time we were in 5th year.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

It's sadly not a particularly historical investigation but if we're doing food and fat chat again, I recommend everyone read this from HSCIC:

http://www.hscic.gov.uk/catalogue/PUB05131/obes-phys-acti-diet-eng-2012-rep.pdf

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
I had a quick look at some of the research into this area as a result of this discussion, the quality is shockingly bad.

quote:

For example, data from the NFS would confirm that calorific intake is in decline (seeChart 6). However these often quoted figures exclude alcohol, confectionery, salty snacks, carbonates and eating outside of the home, making it difficult to assess their implications.

Mostly it seems to blame the parents for being poor role models and letting kids have too much choice in what they eat nowadays especially in (poor) families that shop for food on the basis of convenience and cost effectiveness rather than health.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Oberleutnant posted:

I bet you could find somebody in Britain or America that drinks that much soda a day.

100 litres of liquid a day? I highly doubt it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Clearly the solution is to fine parents who don't spend enough money on making sure their kids eat healthily.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

Clearly the solution is to fine parents who don't spend enough money on making sure their kids eat healthily.

Maybe get the DWP to Sanction the ones on benefits.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

100 litres of liquid a day? I highly doubt it.

one of them chubbers who need to have a wall pulled off their house so they can be lifted onto a flatbed by a crane and driven to the zoo to get an xray. I bet they'd manage it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Oberleutnant posted:

one of them chubbers who need to have a wall pulled off their house so they can be lifted onto a flatbed by a crane and driven to the zoo to get an xray. I bet they'd manage it.

However big they are, kidneys just can't process that amount of liquid.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Don't have to process it, just has to go in one end and out the other, like some kind of sugary fecal fire engine or something.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

baka kaba posted:

He is, we're doomed

:gonk:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ddraig posted:

I'm a proud alumi of the "worst school in Wales" and mars bars were the least of our worries. The guys selling skag round the back were probably the thing I'd be more concerned with. It's very moreish.
Our school was right next door to, and shared a playing field with a school for boys with learning and behavioural problems. It was not unusual for us to look out of the window during a lesson and see kids literally climbing the outside of their school building or having what appeared to be moped lessons in the tennis courts. One on occasion they fired an airgun into our science courtyard area and nobody was allowed to go outdoors on one side of the school for a couple of months.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
All the good intentions and policies regarding school lunches are not really going to make a difference without getting through to the parents. My kids school has a really good lunches program that uses locally produced stuff where possible, still doesn't stop me seeing 5 year old kids on the school run having a breakfast of coke and a mars bar forced into them before the gates.

Goldskull posted:

And didn't every school have a kid who was all over the entrepeneur part of sweets?

I did it. But rather than sweets it was discs full of the best porn the late 90's internet had to offer, then duty free cigarettes when that ring got busted (snitches deserve stitches)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

However big they are, kidneys just can't process that amount of liquid.

There's just no whimsy or romance to you at all, is there?

• Locked thread