Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Ah that explains a lot.
The part I never got was why there was a photo of Spider-man in the background. It makes the whole thing funnier, but it's so bizarre.

I had originally assumed, since it was based on the 60s series it was from an episode featuring Mysterio being whacky. Like the time he glued furniture to the ceiling to make Spider-man think he was going insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Doesn't 60's Spider-Man not swing, but just stiffly float through the air on two webs attached to nothing? I swear that was a gag at some point.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Wapole Languray posted:

Doesn't 60's Spider-Man not swing, but just stiffly float through the air on two webs attached to nothing? I swear that was a gag at some point.

60 Spidy is god and physics do not matter to him.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wapole Languray posted:

Ditko did tend to draw Spidey so far above the rooftops that it was hard to work out what his web was attached to.

I used to watch the '60s Spider-Man cartoon in reruns as a kid. They had something like three or four brief animation sequences of Spidey web-swinging across the city, and when they needed to show him going somewhere they'd grab a couple and stick them in.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
So is 60s Spidey an actual distinct character in Secret Wars/Spiderverse/whatever?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

So is 60s Spidey an actual distinct character in Secret Wars/Spiderverse/whatever?

Yep. Newspaper Spiderman is too!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

60 Spidy is god and physics do not matter to him.

Lucky for you, Web Warriors addresses this

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

AfroSquirrel posted:

Yep. Newspaper Spiderman is too!

Along with a sentient, Speed Buggy-esque version of the Spider Mobile.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Lucky for you, Web Warriors addresses this

The Spiderverse tie in that has Miles Morales, and the Peter Parker from the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon going to the 60's Spidey cartoon universe was fun too.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Die Laughing posted:

The Spiderverse tie in that has Miles Morales, and the Peter Parker from the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon going to the 60's Spidey cartoon universe was fun too.

Definitely the only time (TV) Ultimate Spider-Man was funny. :rimshot:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The talk of Punisher 2099 in the Badass thread reminded me of this thing, which is not badass. Dig that crazy cyberlingo!

Ghost Rider 2099, don't know which issue. One of the first three, according to the site I found the scan at.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Umm cyberpunk is awesome. Your brain is broken.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Norns posted:

Umm cyberpunk is awesome. Your brain is broken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLlj_GeKniA

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Nextwave movie confirmed!

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Evil Mastermind posted:

The talk of Punisher 2099 in the Badass thread reminded me of this thing, which is not badass. Dig that crazy cyberlingo!

Ghost Rider 2099, don't know which issue. One of the first three, according to the site I found the scan at.

Gotta love the random use of words like "mycotoxin" that the guy ripped off from neuromancer in order to use them without proper context.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ghost Rider 2099 had its moments, badass and emotional alike. That one though was just one of the many technobabble poo poo that passed for cool back in the 90's.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The term "wetware" for cybernetic implants was perfect, I don't know why it didn't stick.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The term "wetware" for cybernetic implants was perfect, I don't know why it didn't stick.

I thought it did? I've seen that term as recently as this year.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Implants are implants. Wetware is your biological material.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

I thought it did? I've seen that term as recently as this year.

I thought it had gone away a long time ago but then, I stopped reading cyberpunk books as everything in that medium was total poo poo after a point.

SynthOrange posted:

I've seen it used in reference to brain implants in a few places. I think Warren Ellis did it a few times specifically.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm like 95% sure the Metal Gear Rising refers to something as "wetware", either the actually physical implants themselves or the interfacing programs.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
wetware as software for your brain is pretty common

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

SynthOrange posted:

uh, if you look at that comic page again, you'll clearly see they refer to that as meatware
:goonsay:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can see why wetware should be synonymous with meatware, but meatware is less ambiguous. Wetware could be, like, "wet hardware" - wet from being implanted in your juicy brain sauces.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

To cyberpunk sperg: wetware is to meatware what software is to hardware. Wetware is generally the processes that meatware runs, but is generally used to refer specifically to the brain (as most people don't distinguish between the mind and the brain in general English anyway).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
My favorite Marvel 2099 thing is still the use of "shock" as a substitute for "gently caress". Like... how would that happen, culturally? I mean I know how language can evolve and words can take on new meanings over time but like... what do they call electrical discharges in 2099?

ANYWAY Batman & Robin Eternal #2: Dick Grayson is annoyed by the influx of heroes in Gotham.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Spoiler Alert? Jesus Christ whoever decided to commit that to the page should've been fired on the spot for suggesting it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

X-O posted:

Spoiler Alert? Jesus Christ whoever decided to commit that to the page should've been fired on the spot for suggesting it.

That is the exact thing a hyperactive sixteen year old girl in 2015 who wants so badly to be a superhero called The Spoiler would say. It's cringeworthy and embarrassing and in other words, perfect writing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I thought Spoiler was a teenager. She looks nothing like a teenager.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Lurdiak posted:

You know how the old song goes...
You are sixteen, going on twenty-eight...

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is this Shadowrun: The Comic? Christ.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

John Dyne posted:

More Cyberpunk 2077.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Travis343 posted:

That is the exact thing a hyperactive sixteen year old girl in 2015 who wants so badly to be a superhero called The Spoiler would say. It's cringeworthy and embarrassing and in other words, perfect writing.

I'm with you on that note.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Lurdiak posted:

Drawing youngfolk is hard, man :(

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Valeria Richards is supposed to be how old now?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

John Dyne posted:

Basically. All of the 2099 titles were in love with cybersurfin' the constellations of cyberdata found deep in the dark cybernets, but Ghost Rider was easily the most cyber of them all. The first few issues drawn by Chris Bachalo are solid stuff.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Rhyno posted:

My wife has had intractable seizures for most of her life. A few months ago, we sat down to see what we could do about it, where technology stood.

"Wetware" was thrown around as a potential option. Technically called a Vagal Nerve Stimulator, it's an implant that detects the electrical storm associated with a seizure and basically shorts it out with electric impulses of its own.

We ended up not going that route--electing for straight surgery to remove the benign mass causing it all--and it was the right move. Seizure free since July!

But still, "wetware". Alive and well and real today.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Say Nothing posted:

Valeria Richards is supposed to be how old now?

Still 3-6 in that picture (who can tell with Doom screwing up time and space), but they finally aged her up to about 14-15 post-Battleworld, which hopefully makes it less ridiculous.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Which ANAD book is Val in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

None as far as I know. I have no idea where the Val is 14-15 post Battleworld is coming from at all.