Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

This is absolutely terrible and makes me ashamed that I was once a (military) police officer and associated with police officers.

On the other hand, at least they are starting to be equal opportunists when it comes to unwarranted and unprovoked beatings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

stinkles1112 posted:

Yes they do deserve empathy because they were gratuitously misled by the powerful and persuasive into voting directly against their own self interest and that is a bummer man

They're poor rurals driven by spite and racial resentment, not someone's slow kid who believes in Santa at the age of 14. That doesn't necessarily mean they should die of preventable disease but it's probably good to continually point out how hosed up their beliefs are while making sure they don't die for lack of penicillin or heparin or whatnot.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Veskit posted:

Semantics aside why would "systematic oppression exists" be a wrong answer when a black person to his face asks what is systematic oppression?

So do you want a president who panders or a president who gives his own honest answer?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A university president's job is to pander. All that nitty gritty stuff is done by the provost.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

hobbesmaster posted:

A university president's job is to pander. All that nitty gritty stuff is done by the provost.

Pander and fundraise.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah a university president's job isn't to stand right there registering incoming freshmen. I mean sure they might do it as a publicity stunt but the role is largely political as opposed to operational.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Pander and fundraise.

But you repeat yourself.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Amergin posted:

So do you want a president who panders or a president who gives his own honest answer?

Pander, that means money. Black people need money this is an easy answer.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Veskit posted:

Semantics aside why would "systematic oppression exists" be a wrong answer when a black person to his face asks what is systematic oppression?

He's implying that he believes any answer he gives will be the wrong answer, which is a stupid thing to say, but not a firing offense. I'm very skeptical that people should be fired for poor statements.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

This is mostly true, except a lot of institutions have separate cabinet-level positions for academic and student affairs. Mizzou has Cathy Scroggs in seat right now--it looks like she reached out directly to Jonathan Butler on Nov 2, and it would surprise me if she wasn't on his side.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Pander and fundraise.

Basically, yes.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Radbot posted:

"These grown men and women have repeatedly rebuked Obamacare at the polls, but they know not what they want. They deserve empathy for their decisions, because I have decided they are wrong. Poor widdle Southerners."

Luckily Matt Bevin won 100% of the vote so everyone can be condemned to die in penury. Oh wait.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

god damnit i was really hoping that mizzou bullshit would stretch on a couple more weeks so that the ut game would be super cupcake

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

The Warszawa posted:

For what it's worth, the Yale stuff is part of an ongoing series of issues on campus and the perceived absence of any response, adequate or not, about the stuff leading up to the Halloween stuff. There's more that goes back further but I'm hesitant to read institutional memory into student activism.

I agree with you in that, that kind of environment cab be suffocating. I know many goons think "safe spaces " are silly but it seriously sucks when people do all kinds of racist poo poo and it's excused with free speech.

Also the whole incident reminds me of the movie Dear White People.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ayn rand hand job posted:

Spreading poo poo swastikas is a firing offense, I agree.

For his lack of action (which is an action by itself)? I'd hope so.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Senator Cruz, you've taken a hard line saying that abortion is murder, but if you were given a time portal to 1889, would you take the opportunity to go back and perform an abortion on Hitler's mom?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

seiferguy posted:

Senator Cruz, you've taken a hard line saying that abortion is murder, but if you were given a time portal to 1889, would you take the opportunity to go back and perform an abortion on Hitler's mom?

You know he'd respond with something about it not being his choice.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

FAUXTON posted:

You know he'd respond with something about it not being his choice.

Nah, he'd just go on about "gotcha" questions and hypotheticals until his time was up.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/features/marchtoinequality/onedeclineoflabor/ TPM starting a series on the decline of labor rights and rise of income inequality. i feel like this must have been done many times before but it's nice to see it on a fairly popular site

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

I agree with you in that, that kind of environment cab be suffocating. I know many goons think "safe spaces " are silly but it seriously sucks when people do all kinds of racist poo poo and it's excused with free speech.

It may suck but it's still free speech.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

FAUXTON posted:

They're poor rurals driven by spite and racial resentment, not someone's slow kid who believes in Santa at the age of 14. That doesn't necessarily mean they should die of preventable disease but it's probably good to continually point out how hosed up their beliefs are while making sure they don't die for lack of penicillin or heparin or whatnot.

Yeah nobody was talking about whether or not to advocate against their politics, we're saying that you should maintain a healthy level of empathy and understanding of the root causes of these phenomena rather than dehumanizing people for getting sucked into what we CONSTANTLY POINT OUT on this forum is a well-oiled political propaganda machine that works with startling efficacy. making GBS threads on poor, ignorant people for being poor and ignorant is just as bad when nice liberals do it as it is when those inbred horse-fucker bog-people do it god damnit they deserve their miseryyyyy :argh:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Amergin posted:

It may suck but it's still free speech.

Burning this cross is just one of many of our venerated Observances and Rituals.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Rygar201 posted:

Burning this cross is just one of many of our venerated Observances and Rituals.

Also free speech.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hillary got called out for insulting a voter today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlwXNM-XtNY

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
There goes condescending old Hillary again, talking to people like they're childr... wait

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

Amergin posted:

Also free speech.
If you can prove it the intent was to intimidate or threaten then it's not protected speech.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Reporters are so salty that the Mizzou students don't wait too talk to them. Much like they were when HRC's campaign used a mobile rope line to keep them in their reporter zone.

My contempt for reporters continues to grow.

^^Tons of white dudes on the Internet think all speech is protected, forever, everywhere, from everyone. The cops, DAs, forums moderators, whomever.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

HP Artsandcrafts posted:

If you can prove it the intent was to intimidate or threaten then it's not protected speech.

Very true!

Rygar201 posted:

^^Tons of white dudes on the Internet think all speech is protected, forever, everywhere, from everyone. The cops, DAs, forums moderators, whomever.

Not just white dudes! And unfortunately for you, most speech on the Internet is hard to prove as having the intent to intimidate or threaten.

Plus, y'know, the sheer vast amount of it there is on the Internet.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

JT Jag posted:

Don't hate the voter, hate the wedge issue that keeps them voting against their best interest.
That assumes that voters are well-informed and make rational choices.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

In what probably qualifies for self harm, I ended up volunteering for a 2016 race before the results for 2015 were even in. (There will be a primary fight to take on Susan Brooks, so Election Day is in May as far as it matters for us right now)

Where I'm going with this is that I'm still overworked so can someone give me a tl dr for the new title?

Kinda OT, but isn't that an R+11 seat? Why is there a Democratic primary? Did Susan Brooks get caught with a dead intern or something? Are there really two candidates who want to put themselves through a Congressional run? Or is this a case where you have a semi-serious flag-bearer and a crazy person, and the crazy person is forcing a primary?

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
I think people are capable of having sympathy for persons who find themselves in a bad position after foolishly voting for it, while at the same time chastising them for blindly voting against their best interests. The best thing to do is try and protect the people from their own actions in KY, even if they'll hate the person for helping them.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

blackguy32 posted:

Also the whole incident reminds me of the movie Dear White People.

I don't really have an opinion on it, to be honest, I just think the Halloween costume issue has gotten disproportionate focus as if it's the sole issue when it's really more of a culmination of various things and the Halloween thing was more of a last straw of silence or something.

Here's a student talking about it.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

Hillary got called out for insulting a voter today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlwXNM-XtNY
Clicked this link really hoping the voter was Baby Hitler.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sorus posted:

I think people are capable of having sympathy for persons who find themselves in a bad position after foolishly voting for it, while at the same time chastising them for blindly voting against their best interests. The best thing to do is try and protect the people from their own actions in KY, even if they'll hate the person for helping them.

Ok but chastising someone for doing something dumb has rarely had the effect you want it too

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Boon posted:

Ok but chastising someone for doing something dumb has rarely had the effect you want it too

Same with thinking you know someone's "best interests" better than they do.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Boon posted:

Perhaps not for the person being chastised, especially if they're already on a mental "war footing" with regard to civilized society. However, anti-smoking advertising made a lot of references to how many people ended up dead from smoking, and plenty of their other TV spots pointed out how smoking fucks you up before killing you. Hell, there's plenty of examples of where campaigns on the message "DON'T BE A loving IDIOT LIKE THIS STUPID gently caress" worked for military enlistees, who nobody ever accused of being worldly intellectuals.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

HP Artsandcrafts posted:

Good luck proving an offensive Halloween costume was intended to do any of those things.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

computer parts posted:

Same with thinking you know someone's "best interests" better than they do.

I don't think there should be laws but its obvious polite presentation of facts isn't protecting America from itself lately.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Someone who hates women and minorities so much they would give up affordable medical care for their chronic illness if it meant they could stick it to those groups: someone with their head on straight as an arrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
E: nevermind

• Locked thread