Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ahmeni posted:

removing pip should be grounds for losing your ability to upload packages though

pip is loving terrible

see also: cpan, rubygems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
every python thing i've ever installed has been missing dependencies

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pip is loving terrible

see also: cpan, rubygems

Why's pip so bad? i like it its easy to install packages with. also when i pip install something i never have missing dependencies except for maybe gevent one time

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Feral Integral posted:

Why's pip so bad? i like it its easy to install packages with. also when i pip install something i never have missing dependencies except for maybe gevent one time

it downloads C code from the internet and compiles it with whatever it finds locally

running 'pip install foo' on two very similar boxes can produce wildly different installed artifacts

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
pip/gems/cpan are extra special fun when you want to fix security holes

oh oops these systems all compiled their own local patched versions of libxml that the package system doesn't know about

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
alternatively: wait 4 years for your package to be accepted in debian

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
which will also have a patched libxml

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it downloads C code from the internet and compiles it with whatever it finds locally

running 'pip install foo' on two very similar boxes can produce wildly different installed artifacts

lol a pedantic argument with no impact on real people? smells like bsd wankery

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
if you just put all your python stuff in a container you dont have to worry :docker:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

if you just put all your python stuff in a container you dont have to worry :docker:

if your shop uses docker you've given up on security in general so gently caress it, ship it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ahmeni posted:

lol a pedantic argument with no impact on real people? smells like bsd wankery

this is not the first time i've been told that caring about deployment or security was "wankery"

pram
Jun 10, 2001
:byodood:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if your shop uses docker you've given up on security in general so gently caress it, ship it

there's some incredible magical belief you have that once your software is in debian, it is infinitely more secure than anything else

i've never managed to get you to explain where that comes from

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Feral Integral posted:

pip will also lie about uninstalls, conflate versions, and is unable to look into 2 pypi's at the same time (despite commandline flags that indicate it should be able to do that)

we had to build a loving wrapper around pip to fix all the above issues lmao :devops:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
golang people have a fetish for containers because it's a natural outgrowth of their fetish for static linking. Debian can't stop gratuitously loving around with upstream (c.f. their OpenSSH catastrophe) and would rather be bad at three things than good at one.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mr Dog posted:

golang people have a fetish for containers because it's a natural outgrowth of their fetish for static linking. Debian can't stop gratuitously loving around with upstream (c.f. their OpenSSH catastrophe) and would rather be bad at three things than good at one.

its because docker is written in golang and golang people fetishize software based on if it's written in golang or not and not because it's software that works well or is a good idea

pram
Jun 10, 2001
btw elastic beanstalk now supports go :D

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

its because docker is written in golang and golang people fetishize software based on if it's written in golang or not and not because it's software that works well or is a good idea

lol https://medium.com/google-cloud/my-ide-in-a-container-49d4f177de

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

there's some incredible magical belief you have that once your software is in debian, it is infinitely more secure than anything else

i've never managed to get you to explain where that comes from

i want your software to be in the package system

i want a central manifest of everything installed on the box, so i can do simple things like find and replace vulnerable shared objects without wondering about hundreds others hiding in arbitrary paths

now, that said, it's even better when software versions are managed by the OS vendor, because then i don't have to do any planning around searching or replacing, it will just happen automatically when the system is updated.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
also re: docker, a lesson none of the loving "container" flavors of the week learned from solaris was patching

on solaris, the host system knew of the contents of all of its containers' package systems, regardless of the 'guest' OS revision. so you could still get system-wide vulnerability reports and handle patching at the host level, instead of dicking around with god knows how many zones

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

omfg, let's just fetishize terrible poo poo on top of terrible poo poo why don't we?

as soon as someone under the age of 40 says they use vi for anything other than convenience/ubiquity, their opinions are extremely suspect

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

also re: docker, a lesson none of the loving "container" flavors of the week learned from solaris was patching

on solaris, the host system knew of the contents of all of its containers' package systems, regardless of the 'guest' OS revision. so you could still get system-wide vulnerability reports and handle patching at the host level, instead of dicking around with god knows how many zones

why the hell even use a system like docker instead of a full on hypervisor or virtual machine if you're not going to have that level of integration?

there are good reasons Darwin sandboxing works the way it does, and it also doesn't pretend to be either a hypervisor or a virtual machine

pram
Jun 10, 2001
2015 year of docker on the desktop

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i want a central manifest of everything installed on the box, so i can do simple things like find and replace vulnerable shared objects without wondering about hundreds others hiding in arbitrary paths

now, that said, it's even better when software versions are managed by the OS vendor, because then i don't have to do any planning around searching or replacing, it will just happen automatically when the system is updated.

i guess my question is why you trust the OS vendor to patch and update third-party software better than the software vendor.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
i've been considering making a tiny vm in kvm on my existing home server, which would have nothing but openvpn (always on) and dante socks proxy so that I could selectively push socks-capable apps on my home network through my vpn. i am aware this is a blunt tool for the job but i cbf messing around with routing rules.

could docker, terrible as you make it sound, be a way of achieving same with less overhead than a dedicated vm?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
docker isnt terrible, and yes

https://hub.docker.com/r/kylemanna/openvpn/

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-run-openvpn-in-a-docker-container-on-ubuntu-14-04?utm_source=githubreadme

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

excellent, thanks.

also i wasn't clear, i meant i just want to run openvpn *client* in the vm or container

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is why I despise any online instructions that require the use of pip, maven, cpan, etc

just show me where to download the source code

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

i guess my question is why you trust the OS vendor to patch and update third-party software better than the software vendor.

I only trust the software vendor to care about their software, not all the other software on my system

working on a large system with lots of inter-dependencies, I know what a pain it is to manage them, but frankly the OS vendor has way more incentive to not ship a libwhatever that has a know CVE than a particular software vendor (and to also do so without breaking bincompat)

also, being in the package system != from the software vendor, you can add a PPA for (say) your own integration team to manage dependencies, which I suspect is what someone like nBSD would do when faced with this issue

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

celeron 300a posted:

pip, maven, cpan, etc

one of these things is not like the others

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I looked into scl as first mentioned by MrMoo itt but scl is kind of roundabout with the sourcing the context and poo poo so I decided to just go with epel and... well

compiling python 3 from source sounds absurd and overkill but welp it really seems like the more straightforward solution for now

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
which centos? 5 or 6, i cant blame redhat, but i was unhappy that python3 is not included in the default install of 7,s ince it's included in the fedora that rhel7 is based on

speaking of which the default install of ubuntu server 15.10 does not include python2, and things are looking good for omitting py2 from the default desktop installs for 16.04 LTS

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Python is neo perl

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
nah python 3 is actually usable, and used, in the real world, for real things, in a way perl 6 will likely never be

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
python is at least pretty opinionated about what level of control the developer has over the language. perl goes to great lengths to let the programmer do whatever the hell they want.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

perl rules if you just want portable / saner bash.

please do not write your application in it, though.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

we could have had this ages ago, and we probably still will get it... eventually.

I think the problem is distro devs who have an irrational hatred for "bundling".

I mean, the kind of thing you mention is a solution to concerns about bundling, but you see, if we attempt to build the infrastructure to support such a thing, those drat users might use it to do bundling!!

this always struck me as a real-world equivalent of "spider? burn the house down!" and I think it's had a disastrous effect on linux in general.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
juju bundles lol

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

eschaton posted:

omfg, let's just fetishize terrible poo poo on top of terrible poo poo why don't we?

as soon as someone under the age of 40 says they use vi for anything other than convenience/ubiquity, their opinions are extremely suspect

vim rules, sorry bout whatever series of lovely life events left you so broken :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Lysidas posted:

the fedora that rhel7 is based on

red hat is based on fedora, really?