Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Isn't it slightly rude to mount the GoPro backwards like that? Good shot anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp41d3Z2ypI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Brigdh posted:

Sure, lets just set up D-GPS stations every quarter mile along every road. I'm sure that will solve all of our (or rather AI) problems.

Correct position errors with an IMU/INU like an aircraft.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

CommieGIR posted:

It would be interesting to see if it were helpful if smartphone navigator used the accelerometers builtin. When it tells you to change lanes or turn it should be able to tell pretty accurately if you complied.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Frinkahedron posted:

Or subscribe to omnistar, 10cm accuracy or less!

In a laboratory setting, maybe. We typically see ~1 meter accuracy on stationary objects, and ~2.5 meter accuracy on moving ones. Not much better than what you get with GPS backed by a secondary correction mechanism, but hey the hardware guys get excited by blowing money on power sucking DSPs.

CommieGIR posted:

Accumulation errors can be a bitch, particularly if you don't let the system zero out periodically (say on a road trip).

The lane position issue (which road am I on?) is typically better solved by having multiple systems, and deciding which one is inaccurate at the time, at-least according to what I've seen multiple teams doing. Such a system may decide that the position information is slightly inaccurate because the system knows that you were on road X, and although the positioning system suggests that you are now on road Y (which runs parallel to X), unless the car magically teleported there, its more likely the vehicle is still on road X.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Brigdh posted:

Accumulation errors can be a bitch, particularly if you don't let the system zero out periodically (say on a road trip).

That is why the INU/IMU is generally slaved to the GPS to correct for drift. Then if the GPS signal craps out the INU/IMU takes over.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 10, 2015

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Some idiot fired up the Model S autopilot and climbed into the back seat:

http://bgr.com/2015/11/09/tesla-autopilot-video/

In response to all the videos of people doing drat near everything they said not to, Tesla has announced plans to limit when the autopilot can be engaged (now word yet as to how).

CommieGIR posted:

Some of the Alpine in-dash navigation systems actually have that feature, though that may be just for handling temporary signal loss (say, in a tunnel). The high quality IMUs used to actually enhance GPS data cost thousands of dollars (though that may just be due to low volume production).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Android Auto will actually use the car's speed sensors as well as the GPS to calculate position. So, if you go into a tunnel, it'll keep on trucking until you get signal again.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Cockmaster posted:

Some idiot fired up the Model S autopilot and climbed into the back seat:

http://bgr.com/2015/11/09/tesla-autopilot-video/

In response to all the videos of people doing drat near everything they said not to, Tesla has announced plans to limit when the autopilot can be engaged (now word yet as to how).

Some of the Alpine in-dash navigation systems actually have that feature, though that may be just for handling temporary signal loss (say, in a tunnel). The high quality IMUs used to actually enhance GPS data cost thousands of dollars (though that may just be due to low volume production).

I love Tesla's feigned naiveté, what did they think was going to happen? All of the valley, including Tesla, has been banging on about self driving cars for years. You can't then roll out something called "autopilot" and expect people to understand that everything you've been saying is bullshit.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don't think the idiot in question thought he had an autonomous robot car. I think he was just pulling a stunt, like someone standing on the seat of their motorcycle.

If you use it for even 15 mins you get a pretty good sense of its limitations. However typically hyperbolic Tesla's naming, I don't think owners are honestly being misled.

If the car detects that there isn't anyone in the driver's seat, it should probably blare the horn continuously, turn on the hazards, and decelerate smoothly to zero. And disable autopilot for 90 days.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
In non tesla news my dealership just got our first pair of Soul EV's in today. I have to say I'm pretty sold on having an EV at some point in the near future. It's nicer in just about every way compared to a comparably equipped Gas Soul.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
counterpoint: it's a kia

fake edit: I test drove the Soul EV, i3 and B-class. The soul ain't terrible and it's cheaper but the Mercedes was nicer.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Ghost riding the GPS

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

CommieGIR posted:

That is why the INU/IMU is generally slaved to the GPS to correct for drift. Then if the GPS signal craps out the INU/IMU takes over.

Ah, different problems. You can't really use INU/IMU to eliminate GPS inaccuracies by using the GPS signal as your master signal that you base your INU/IMU system on - if the GPS ping puts you at 9 feet East of your true position, the INU/IMU isn't going to help if the ping from the GPS is used as the true position. However you are correct, you can use it to as a replacement in-between signal pings (or when it just drops out completely). Of course, your GPS error is basically smaller than most aircraft, so that error is probably irrelevant for most applications.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ranter posted:

counterpoint: it's a kia

fake edit: I test drove the Soul EV, i3 and B-class. The soul ain't terrible and it's cheaper but the Mercedes was nicer.

I'm sure the Mercedes has nicer interior etc, but it has no fast charging. Serious deficit in my book. The Kia Soul has CHAdeMO charging and about the same battery size. This means the long trips are no problem, if the infrastructure is there. Over here people are doing Oslo - Bergen with it no problem, range reports are 170-180 km easily without babying it, heat exchanger on etc. From 100% down to the warning light, 210 km.

If I was buying an EV now, couldn't afford a Tesla and didn't know a 30 kWh Leaf was around the corner, the Kia Soul would be my choice. Yes it's a Kia and yes it's weird looking but they nailed the big things.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Are European Kias better quality than American? Like made in a different country and have higher standards/better quality parts? Because they're absolute dog poo poo here.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ranter posted:

Are European Kias better quality than American? Like made in a different country and have higher standards/better quality parts? Because they're absolute dog poo poo here.

It comes with 7 years warranty over here, so I wouldn't be too worried. I have no idea where the various factories are, but I do know old prejudices tend to stick.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Until May I drove a Kia Optima EX for 4 years, and it was a great car. Comfortable, no maintenance issues or cheap-feeling creakiness, handles well, little extras like heated rear and heated/cooled front seats. I'd totally buy a Kia EV if I were in the market for that sort of car.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Kia has shaped up a lot in the past decade or so, so if your experience with them is of some shitbox from the 90s you should go test drive one again.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 10, 2015

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Brigdh posted:

Ah, different problems. You can't really use INU/IMU to eliminate GPS inaccuracies by using the GPS signal as your master signal that you base your INU/IMU system on - if the GPS ping puts you at 9 feet East of your true position, the INU/IMU isn't going to help if the ping from the GPS is used as the true position. However you are correct, you can use it to as a replacement in-between signal pings (or when it just drops out completely). Of course, your GPS error is basically smaller than most aircraft, so that error is probably irrelevant for most applications.

Ideally you have a kalman filter taking in both the GPS and IMU data to output a calculated position based on both. If filter is tuned right, that one ping 9 feet east shouldn't affect your position too much because it'd be an anomaly over a short time period. If it kept getting pings 9 feet east of where it thinks it is, it'd start to correct its position because the better assumption is that the GPS won't be inaccurate over a longer period of time. At work we can get down to 10cm accuracy while moving using this kind of system without DGPS.

e: My god the idiots with the tesla proving exactly why lawyers and insurance people will be the biggest problem for this technology for the next decade.

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 10, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ola posted:

It comes with 7 years warranty over here, so I wouldn't be too worried. I have no idea where the various factories are, but I do know old prejudices tend to stick.

Having a piece of poo poo car with a great warranty is a still a huge pain in the dick. It's just not as expensive.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Don't know if this has been posted before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X-5fKzmy38

Considering it's dark and rainy, that's impressive. I wonder if it's coded to detect the turn signal and goes into idiot detection mode.

VVV: True. The collision avoidance was great though, especially at 45mph.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 10, 2015

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

MrOnBicycle posted:

Don't know if this has been posted before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X-5fKzmy38

Considering it's dark and rainy, that's impressive. I wonder if it's coded to detect the turn signal and goes into idiot detection mode.

I think it was simply the collision avoidance system. The S has monster disk brakes and once the car decides it needs to stop for the driver it can do so extremely quick. The collision avoidance only uses radar input so I don't think being dark and rainy has much if any effect.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Does the collision avoidance work at all times, or only when the car has the autopilot on? Does it take over and save you if you're flooring it into a wall?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Sagebrush posted:

Does the collision avoidance work at all times, or only when the car has the autopilot on? Does it take over and save you if you're flooring it into a wall?

It is active at all times and has been a feature since before autopilot was available. In theory you wouldn't be able to drive yourself into a wall I think? The warning alert goes off on mine every once in a while when I'm slow to brake but I don't think I've it actually trigger braking yet.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A friend's mother-in-law hit gas instead of brake while parking and smashed it, I think collision avoidance only works between 40-85 mph, and itself only brakes down to 20 or something to reduce impact speed. You have to hit the brakes yourself to stop all the way.

I'll check the manual if I remember. (Is the one for 6.0 up on the web yet?)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Avid Tesla-vlogger Bjørn Nyland did an approximation of the battery degradation after 100 000 km.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdaLChYpXh8

Around 4%.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
So I went and test drove a 2016 Volt today. I had my eye on this car since August or so thinking it would be perfect for my driving and household situation. Overall, it is. However it has one huge flaw in my mind: the back seat.

I am about 6' 1" and my wife is 5' 10". Neither of us could sit in the back seat without crouching the whole time. Even worse, the rear hatch opens in such a way that if anyone is in the back seat, they have to duck down when the hatch closes or you'll bonk them on the head. I had visions of someone unfamiliar with the car closing the hatch with someone in the back seat and giving them a big goose egg.

Now it's back to the drawing board for new cars. I'll go try out a Fusion plug-in even though it doesn't have as much all electric range. Anyone thinking about a Volt and could ever transport adults in the back seat should be mindful when they test drive.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I am pretty stoked on electric cars
So when Tesla's hirin'
I'm firin'

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Shame Tesla pay is lovely compared to the rest of the bay area. They want all the skills but won't pay the going rate because "we're Tesla". I personally experienced this working with a recruiter for a position there.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ranter posted:

Shame Tesla pay is lovely compared to the rest of the bay area. They want all the skills but won't pay the going rate because "we're Tesla". I personally experienced this working with a recruiter for a position there.

Sounds like you weren't hardcore.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The recruiter was actually boasting about how she had an experienced Linux sysadmin take a job as a desktop pleb, because he really liked what Elon Musk was trying to do. No thanks.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Their management and exec comp isn't terrible, but yeah at least 15% off the companies they're competing with.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah but they'll be the only one left in 15 years.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I dunno, betting that none of Google, Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft, etc will be around in 15 years sounds risky.

Tesla is doing a recall/inspection because they found a car (just one so far) where a front seat belt wasn't properly anchored to the pretensioner. I can't get mine until tomorrow. :ohdear:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

I dunno, betting that none of Google, Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft, etc will be around in 15 years sounds risky.

Building cars though?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Godholio posted:

Building cars though?

Google and Apple maybe, but Tesla isn't just competing with other car companies for talent.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Kind of off topic, but I saw a few ads during football last week about some kid all proud that he landed a programming job with GE and will be doing all kinds of cool poo poo, and none of his friends get it and his one friend is all "whatevs, I got a job for the people that make that app that puts fruit on pets heads".
I guess GE is hurting for programmers, and/or Kids These Days are too busy working on stupid mobile apps in the hopes of get-rich-quick instead of getting a Real Job with a proper company? I dunno, I mean it was an ad for employment at GE, but the message was really weird.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Godholio posted:

Building cars though?

I wasn't applying for a car building position...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ranter posted:

I wasn't applying for a car building position...

Fair enough, I don't follow the EV thread in AI closely enough to keep track of everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
How many car manufacturers do you think are actually building cars in the bay area? I said 'compared to rest of the bay area' on this same page. Tesla is a bay area company, something most people should know when considering their impact to the Detroit/American car manufacturer industry in general.

• Locked thread