Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Methanar posted:

To be fair the Canadian prices were probably a response to the Canadian dollar eating poo poo.

Get back down to 0.6/0.7, where you should be, Maple money!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
We have Mimecast now but my plan was to dump it if we moved to O365. No idea how Microsoft's spam and AV scanning of email compares though. Mimecast has done a pretty good job.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

There's no reason not to go to Office365, right?

There are no O365 datacentres in Canada. That's a big reason not to use it for Canadian companies, all your data would reside in the US.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

There are no O365 datacentres in Canada. That's a big reason not to use it for Canadian companies, all your data would reside in the US.

At least they announced "2016" for Canada. Azure "early" and O365 "later". You've probably already heard about this though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

myron cope posted:

At least they announced "2016" for Canada. Azure "early" and O365 "later". You've probably already heard about this though.

Yeah, I heard about that, bout time. I don't expect it to actually be done/working until 2017 and I have no idea why they chose Québec City instead of Montréal, some kind of tax break probably.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dick Trauma posted:

We have Mimecast now but my plan was to dump it if we moved to O365. No idea how Microsoft's spam and AV scanning of email compares though. Mimecast has done a pretty good job.

If you just want spam filtering then the Exchange Online Protection that comes as part of O365 is more than adequate. You will get spam for the first couple of days after sending all your email into O365 until it can get used to the sorts of emails you handle, but after that point it's incredibly rare that an actual spammy message gets through.

Mimecast is great for keeping your legal hold platform completely separate from O365, and offering emergency inbox capabilities. It's not something I'd insist on just for the anti-spam if I had a limited budget.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Colonial Air Force posted:

I got a new NAS to replace the USB-only one my predecessor set up as our primary file share. Started a robocopy yesterday morning, I figured it'd finish overnight.

I forgot about the marketing department.

loving Marketing department. FFS, throw some of this crap AWAY, you don't need every e-mail you've ever been involved in for the past 10 years. Worst data hoarders by far.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Major network outage planned tonight. Core switch and others throughout our primary datacenter being replaced. All to move away from 100mbps (ugh) to access switches at 1gbe and core 10gbe, so that's nice.

I always like to think I've planned this stuff perfectly, but I always get that "tingle" before bringing all our systems offline - no matter how well planned or trivial it seems.

:ohdear:

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I see a lot of talk about O365 in here. We are getting plans together to move to Google Apps for Business early next year. From what I've looked at, Google seems to have way more functionality for a much lower cost.

Is the only reason people use O365 just for familiarity with the office suite? Are there any pitfalls to Google that I should be aware of?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

siggy2021 posted:

I see a lot of talk about O365 in here. We are getting plans together to move to Google Apps for Business early next year. From what I've looked at, Google seems to have way more functionality for a much lower cost.

Is the only reason people use O365 just for familiarity with the office suite? Are there any pitfalls to Google that I should be aware of?

My company has been waffling between the two for a while now. I think we will end up leaning towards Google Docs and paying for OEM office licenses as needed. If online collaboration for docs is important to your users without needing or wanting to deal with Sharepoint than Google Docs is definitely the way to go. We still need Office occasionaly for some other applications that integrate with it but for the most part our users have really liked Google Docs.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If people have only ever used Outlook then Google Apps is an uphill struggle and it's just easier to use something more familiar.

I'd pick Google Apps if I were starting a tech company and just have everyone use the web UI or set up their own clients. The actual web collaboration features from Google are a lot quicker and seem to just work. It's not as much of a feature-filled product though, Office 365 can be insanely complicated if you need it to be.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

siggy2021 posted:

Ran my own Google domain and now I'm an end user for our O365. Google's email is 10x better than Microsoft's, Microsoft's productivity is 5x better than Google's. Depends on what you use more I guess

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

As an example of how easy IaaS still is to gently caress up, can you tell me when data is actually guaranteed to be committed to persistent storage on an EBS volume?

Thanks for posting this. I don't do a lot with AWS but I touch it from time to time and this made me go research it further. Definitely something they should put in big red letters somewhere.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Methanar posted:

To be fair the Canadian prices were probably a response to the Canadian dollar eating poo poo.

This is actually really terrible for my work. The CAD being rear end means less Canucks skiing in the US. :(

AlternateAccount posted:

loving Marketing department. FFS, throw some of this crap AWAY, you don't need every e-mail you've ever been involved in for the past 10 years. Worst data hoarders by far.

I wish it were just email.

"Why is there a video on here from 2001?"

And I found a folder named "RAW", guess what's in there!?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Colonial Air Force posted:

And I found a folder named "RAW", guess what's in there!?

A bunch of pirated wrestling shows?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Segmentation Fault posted:

A bunch of pirated wrestling shows?

:vince:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

FSRM File Type Filter *RAW*

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
We used appriver before merging where the larger company used mxlogic. Rolling right back to secure tide and all that. Not to mention that any support is not complete poo poo because either the person is dealing with a poo poo ton of people fired last week or they know they have about a year before they are out of a job.

Out of the two I still like appriver more. Mxlogic felt like pulling teeth even after I got used to it.

Thanks Ants posted:

If you just want spam filtering then the Exchange Online Protection that comes as part of O365 is more than adequate. You will get spam for the first couple of days after sending all your email into O365 until it can get used to the sorts of emails you handle, but after that point it's incredibly rare that an actual spammy message gets through.

Thanks for this. We have a couple of clients that are going O365 in the future and we weren't too sure about spam filtering.

ptier fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 7, 2015

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I went from being the O365 engineer and doing migrations to a company that has Google Apps. I can't tell you how much I hate Google Apps / Email for work. The Gmail interface, while fine for personal stuff, does not work well for work, and I am not even a power email user. Calendaring is terrible and does not always update and causes headaches for the conference rooms. Gmail does not work well with Outlook 2016, and you have to lower security levels for it to even work.

Our company was a startup and the founders were VERY anti-Microsoft so everyone is free / open-source so Gmail it was. The actual Docs/Sheets stuff is pretty good now, but are not a replacement for Office if you used to it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Its pretty simple

Do you need Outlook? Then its O365 or Exchange
Don't need Outlook? Welcome to Google Apps!

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
There's always Lotus Notes. :)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

There's always Lotus Notes. :)

POP3 Sendmail and a poo poo calendar server with a Java based interface should be good enough.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Or you could do what a client of ours had configured and have 100 people, some with 160GB live mailboxes running off a 2009 Xserve using the Apple Mail server with Roundcube for webmail. They wouldn't entertain any suggestions of moving to anything else.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I'd never actually seen Lotus Notes running until this job. I'm still convinced it's a prank, how do people actually use it

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

myron cope posted:

I'd never actually seen Lotus Notes running until this job. I'm still convinced it's a prank, how do people actually use it
I'm guessing there are a lot of legacy lotus database applications that people use there? That's the only reason not to migrate.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

myron cope posted:

But you can add notes!

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I'm not sure what the hell they do with it. I think the legal department are the only people who really use it. I guess they're convinced there's no way they could possibly go on if they didn't still have Notes

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

So here's a bit of a strange one. I'm currently working at an MSP with a plan to :frogout: by the end of Q1 next year, so that bit's covered. Our CEO insists on being the person who goes out to meet potential new clients, doesn't really know any of the technology that we sell, and doesn't think that his sales team need to be clued up on the technology that they are trying to shift. We have a vague concept of leads being qualified by a pre-sales team (the same people who will often be doing the actual implementation) but I don't think our sales guys are anywhere near clued up enough in the technology to be able to present themselves as competent.

Now because this hasn't resulted in much work coming in (who'd have seen that one coming), the board's answer to this is to bring in an external consultant who is going to meetings at our clients with the CEO and without the designated account contact for that client, coming back with a roadmap for the customer of solutions and then handing them off as jobs to be done without making sure that it's actually something that will work for that customer, or that the skills exist within our organisation to deploy and support it. We're talking about stuff like bringing Office 365 email back on-site for a client of 40 users for "security".

I assume this whole setup just a ridiculous clown show that needs escaping from asap. Anyone else been in a position as weird as this previously?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

myron cope posted:

If I'm not mistaken Lotus is still the most popular messaging platform. The software has been updated and rewritten plenty of times.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 9, 2015

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Tab8715 posted:

If I'm not mistaken Lotus is still the most popular messaging platform. The software has been updated and rewritten plenty of times.

It's terrible but it has features that no one else does yet that I've seen.

Verse is 10 times better but that's not saying much.

I would rather be on exchange.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
So while in the course of studying for my Network+ and Security+ both have reinforced the idea that leaving unused ports open is a bad idea security wise, but neither have gone into specifics about the associated vulnerabilities. I'm curious what kind of vulnerabilities arise from having ports open; I assume there's some difference based on the port, but there's likely some general issues too. Is there a good place I can go to read about what kind of vulnerabilities arise from having ports open and (if there are specific port issues) what are the ways to compensate for these when you need to leave specific ports open for legitimate services?

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Thanks Ants posted:

So here's a bit of a strange one. I'm currently working at an MSP with a plan to :frogout: by the end of Q1 next year, so that bit's covered. Our CEO insists on being the person who goes out to meet potential new clients, doesn't really know any of the technology that we sell, and doesn't think that his sales team need to be clued up on the technology that they are trying to shift. We have a vague concept of leads being qualified by a pre-sales team (the same people who will often be doing the actual implementation) but I don't think our sales guys are anywhere near clued up enough in the technology to be able to present themselves as competent.

I assume this whole setup just a ridiculous clown show that needs escaping from asap. Anyone else been in a position as weird as this previously?

Are you sure you don't sit next to me? You just described my current position at a 40 man MSP, except I just got made redundant today since it all went to poo poo because that sales strategy didn't work.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lilli posted:

So while in the course of studying for my Network+ and Security+ both have reinforced the idea that leaving unused ports open is a bad idea security wise, but neither have gone into specifics about the associated vulnerabilities.
I'm curious what kind of vulnerabilities arise from having ports open; I assume there's some difference based on the port, but there's likely some general issues too. Is there a good place I can go to read about what kind of vulnerabilities arise from having ports open and (if there are specific port issues) what are the ways to compensate for these when you need to leave specific ports open for legitimate services?
It's all about reducing the possible attack vectors. Basically don't have services running if you don't need them, then you don't ever have to worry about them having an unknown vulnerability or not. And the services that you do need should have their access filtered to the hosts that need to access them.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

It's all about reducing the possible attack vectors. Basically don't have services running if you don't need them, then you don't ever have to worry about them having an unknown vulnerability or not. And the services that you do need should have their access filtered to the hosts that need to access them.

Yeah, it's not really "having a port open" that's an exploitable thing on its own. It's that some service is listening on that open port, and that service is probably exploitable. If you don't need to run a given service on your machine, shut it off. Attackers can't exploit a service that you aren't running.

The vulnerabilities could be anything you can think of, really. Anything from being able to crash the service, to injecting and executing code on your system, to leaking sensitive info. Just depends on the nature of the bug being exploited.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

It's not always possible to screen your "open ports" to only hosts that need them. I'm also not really up to date on windows stuff but, generally, you kind of have to actively try to have something dangerous listening on a port without knowing about it.

Or, I guess a better way to phrase that would be that something actually has to be listening at that port for there to be a possible danger. You can leave telnet wide open throughout your entire network if you like, and as long as nobody is listening for telnet connections you're fine.

What the takeaway from this should be (apologies -- I've never studied for either of those certs so I don't have a ton of context), is that when you have something listening on a port it's important that it's updated as often as is sanely possible and that, depending on the service and your security requirements, all access to it is logged and periodically audited.

I think that's an important distinction to make, you don't really give a poo poo about whether a port is open or closed. You care about what kinds of things on your network exist and are turned on and listening. In my opinion, anyway.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
This industry has a real short memory, so I'm just going to remind everyone that Blaster happened once and it will happen again.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Vulture Culture posted:

This industry has a real short memory, so I'm just going to remind everyone that Blaster happened once and it will happen again.

CodeRed, Nimda, Melissa, Sobig, Slammer, MyDoom, Conficker, Stuxnet....

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ahdinko posted:

Are you sure you don't sit next to me? You just described my current position at a 40 man MSP, except I just got made redundant today since it all went to poo poo because that sales strategy didn't work.

No redundancies noticed today so I'm pretty sure that I don't sit next to you. I can't get out of this shitshow quick enough.

Dreyvas
Jan 13, 2014

Thanks Ants posted:

Now because this hasn't resulted in much work coming in (who'd have seen that one coming), the board's answer to this is to bring in an external consultant who is going to meetings at our clients with the CEO and without the designated account contact for that client, coming back with a roadmap for the customer of solutions and then handing them off as jobs to be done without making sure that it's actually something that will work for that customer, or that the skills exist within our organisation to deploy and support it. We're talking about stuff like bringing Office 365 email back on-site for a client of 40 users for "security".

Yes. Get out now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
My favorite is the quarterly vulnerability scanning where things like 3389/22 gets marked as high. Boss doesn't read report and just says fix everything or else. I'm going to tell him to bring all the servers in house and I'll work on them hooking up a monitor and keyboard. Makes no difference to me.

I don't mind if you tell me RDP/SSH is enabled but mark that poo poo as low or something :smith: