Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Make sure you bring lots of wind arts into that fight, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
If you have Agate, Gladiator Headband + AT Delay + Action 2 = worm that can never take a turn, at least until Agate runs out of CP. By then it's probably dead.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cyouni posted:

If you have Agate, Gladiator Headband + AT Delay + Action 2 = worm that can never take a turn, at least until Agate runs out of CP. By then it's probably dead.

Run out of CP? Please. Characters like Agate are why Tomatrio Sandwiches exist.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 10, 2015

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I'd thought FC was a cute but hardly amazing jRPG. Holy poo poo did they improve the hell out of the sequel in basically every way.

So end of chapter 7/beginning of chapter 8 HOLY poo poo THOSE MADMEN AT FALCOM ACTUALLY DID IT. THEY ACTUALLY (temporarily) DESTROYED THE ENTIRE FOUNDATION OF THEIR WORLDBUILDING. And apparently I'm going to be seeing its effects on the entire country! I can't think of another game that's done this quite as thoroughly.

So thanks to everyone involved (I know two of the people involved read this thread but really everyone) for doing inhuman work getting these games to us! I would never have believed the amazing things that happen in this game if I'd just been told about it.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Supremezero posted:

Run out of CP? Please. Characters like Agate are why Tomatrio Sandwiches exist.

He also has Wild Rage, and it's not like that fight is that hard healing-wise if you avoid Earth Shaker.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Well poo poo.

Chapter 9: Please tell me that the two chests in the Glorious' brig don't have anything super awesome in them.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Bland posted:

The only bullshit fight I've seen so far is (Chapter 7 spoilers) The fight against Renne atop the tower where she opened the fight with a Crit Bonus S-Craft which insantly killed Tita and crippled everyone else, only for them to be promptly finished off by the army of loving spider jerks that followed her up. Reloaded and it turns out the crit bonus was just incredibly bad luck, go figure.

Yeah, this fight is complete bullshit. Also the army of helper's can petrify you with the attack they spam and have a non insignificant amount of health, what the hell.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

just go in immune to deathblows and petrify, you should have two grail lockets by that point i think

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Well poo poo.

Chapter 9: Please tell me that the two chests in the Glorious' brig don't have anything super awesome in them.

Yeah, nothing special.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

cute fanart, and also where i got my avatar from:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
http://gematsu.com/2015/11/legend-heroes-trails-sky-3rd-evolution-announced

Surprise

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Has it been confirmed at all that Xseed planning to release Trails in the Sky 3rd Chapter in English?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Cake Attack posted:

just go in immune to deathblows and petrify, you should have two grail lockets by that point i think

Wait, two? I'm afraid I've only got the one. Where's the one you find?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Any tips for CH6's optional fight Against Gilbert? I can beat it quite easily with food spam but that only got me +2 BP (a long way out from the fight). Apparently there's some sort of hidden time limit? The fight didn't end prematurely for me or anything so is it x number of estelle turns or what? Not really sure how to approach it for max BP if it is.

davidHalestorm posted:

Has it been confirmed at all that Xseed planning to release Trails in the Sky 3rd Chapter in English?

It's been confirmed that they wouldn't consider it until after they finish Cold Steel 1-2 and even then they'd rather crossbell before a gaiden but that has its own issues (even zero is like 2x as much text as SC and they'd have to rebuild for PC again since they can't use the chinese version). I wouldn't count on it especially if/when Cold Steel 3 is out since they'd also focus that before anything else regardless of what it is.

Decus fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Nov 10, 2015

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Gotcha, I heard that 3rd Chapter is a side story anyway, so hopefully the story of Estelle and Joshua ends conclusively. I'm still @ chapter 2 of SC, after spending 1 week marathoning FC. Also, how does the Retry with lower difficulty work? Does it keep bumping it down a notch everytime I chose it. Considering restarting over at Normal since I don't find Hard to be enjoyable. Like a lot of people, I really want to see where the story goes especially after 4 years of waiting

EDIT

Can't believe how emotionally invested I am at some dumb 2d anime Portrait. The end of FC made me tear up a little.

davidHalestorm fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Nov 10, 2015

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Decus posted:

Any tips for CH6's optional fight Against Gilbert? I can beat it quite easily with food spam but that only got me +2 BP (a long way out from the fight). Apparently there's some sort of hidden time limit? The fight didn't end prematurely for me or anything so is it x number of estelle turns or what? Not really sure how to approach it for max BP if it is.

I was under the impression if you beat him at all you got the bonus BP as the fight ends after a few turns or if Estelle goes down.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Decus posted:

Any tips for CH6's optional fight

The fight straight up ends at the time limit (on my second attempt I had a single add remaining one attack from death :argh:) so if you get the victory screen instead of going straight into cutscene you should be good. You need to finish the boss and all adds though.
Apart from that, magic feels too slow when true hurricane is istant and has gigantic size, max attack and defense beforehand so you minimize the time you're not spinning, I hope your grail locket was on Estelle since the assholes have an AT delay attack but it's considered a status.
Don't mind if they start ressing, they're just wasting turns, hope they don't use a teara balm, use + str food the first time you need to heal.

Are there any choices during the chapter? I can't remember any. For what it's worth I looted the chapter of everything that wasn't bolted down, but it shouldn't affect things.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Do you get extra BP for correctly guessing his identity and not picking the "who the gently caress is this chump" options?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

davidHalestorm posted:

Gotcha, I heard that 3rd Chapter is a side story anyway, so hopefully the story of Estelle and Joshua ends conclusively. I'm still @ chapter 2 of SC, after spending 1 week marathoning FC. Also, how does the Retry with lower difficulty work? Does it keep bumping it down a notch everytime I chose it. Considering restarting over at Normal since I don't find Hard to be enjoyable. Like a lot of people, I really want to see where the story goes especially after 4 years of waiting

EDIT

Can't believe how emotionally invested I am at some dumb 2d anime Portrait. The end of FC made me tear up a little.

yeah it does, estelle isn't even the main character in 3rd anymore, 3rd follows everyone's new friend Kevin.

retry makes the fight easier but not by moving the difficulty down an official notch from say hard to normal. i would retry on normal, hard is poorly tweaked

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
While I don't dislike Kevin and I'm sure he's good in 3rd I don't get how they'll base an entire game around him as the focal character. He's not Tita but he's not Estelle/Olivier tier by any means.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i felt the same but it makes a lot more sense in light of some late game stuff

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Ah, fair. I'm still working my way through chapter 8 so there's plenty of time for him to come into focus.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

yeah it does, estelle isn't even the main character in 3rd anymore, 3rd follows everyone's new friend Kevin.

The story of Estelle and Joshua ends conclusively, but (SC endgame) the story of Estelle, Joshua and Renne is continued in The 3rd and continues in the Crossbell games.

That said, The 3rd is still mostly side material.
It's set 3 months after the end of SC, and the main story focuses on Kevin and his past. Throughout the whole game, you can enter "doors" that start various scenes, most of them quite long. Every playable character gets at least one door, and some get multiple ones.
Those scenes are mainly deeper looks into the past of some characters (you get to play as Schera as a Junior Bracer and learn how she met Aina, see Kloe just after she entered the school, and there's a really adorable childhood episode with Estelle and Joshua...), or show what the characters did after the end of SC (Tita and Agate build an Orbal Gear, basically a mech suit, the Capuas start a courier business...), some worldbuilding (documents on the bracer guild and on Orbments) and some foreshadowing for the Crossbell/Cold Steel games.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Random question, but is there any easy way to extract the character portraits from the game's files? Or alternatively, is there a good collection of character portraits from TitS FC and/or SC somewhere on the internet?

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!
I missed Liberl News 4 in Grancel, am I hosed? or is there a way to get it later in the game?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Levantine posted:

I was under the impression if you beat him at all you got the bonus BP as the fight ends after a few turns or if Estelle goes down.

I ended the fight (downed all enemies) with an interrupt break so I probably ended it on exactly the wrong turn with no indication! Think I remember a few wasted moves on that attempt so as long as I know it's clear when it's a draw vs. victory outside of the corner-case interrupt break situation I apparently got myself into I think I can win with better positioning before food spamming. They can't do much when they're all constantly asleep/faint from damage food. Or frozen if I get lucky with the random one.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
So, does fishing count for anything in SC?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

There's two sidequests that make you do it, and you can get ingredients and sepith and stuff for doing it. It's mostly just for fun

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Sadly, one of the Falcom Sound Team jdk passed away last month, Hirofumi Matsuoka.

http://www.vgmonline.net/hirofumi-matsuoka-ex-falcom-sound-team-leader-passes-away/

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Slur posted:

So, does fishing count for anything in SC?

Fishing mostly seems good for getting large amounts of Sepith quickly.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Levantine posted:

Fishing mostly seems good for getting large amounts of earth Sepith quickly.
FTFY

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Decus posted:

I ended the fight (downed all enemies) with an interrupt break so I probably ended it on exactly the wrong turn with no indication! Think I remember a few wasted moves on that attempt so as long as I know it's clear when it's a draw vs. victory outside of the corner-case interrupt break situation I apparently got myself into I think I can win with better positioning before food spamming. They can't do much when they're all constantly asleep/faint from damage food. Or frozen if I get lucky with the random one.

Ailment-on-hit quartz can proc from attack foods. There's a Deathblow 1 in a chest there somewhere.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
You can get a lot of time from the Department of Revvenue via trout/rainbow trout (60x on trout and 25x on rainbow fairly consistently with aqua master). And something in the Zeiss tunnels gave a lot of fire. Think some sea stuff might've given decent water back in Ruan? Catch 10 good-drop trout and you get an action 4 though and the only bait you need is, like, earthworms and bugs and other super common stuff you should have stockpiles of by then. Trout can then be saved for bait to catch the ultimate fish.

But yeah, stupid rockfish are everywhere spamming x100 earth.

Really Pants posted:

Ailment-on-hit quartz can proc from attack foods. There's a Deathblow 1 in a chest there somewhere.

Aha, I could probably just hurricane with deathblow 2 then? Always forget that stuff that's not immune to faint/sleep/etc. likely isn't immune to insta-death either.

edit: v neither have I, but I guess I'll find out when I get home.

Decus fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 10, 2015

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I've never actually used Deathblow 2 before but I think it would just kill one thing and then break, even on an AoE craft.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah, deathblow 2 only killed 1 guy. But 2x Titanic Roar killed all but one. Cutscene was different so I know I succeeded this time but man do I wish I hadn't used that s-break the first time I "won". So many cutscenes and so many chests to re-watch/loot.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Wow, the game really starts to change when you can afford the Quartz 4's. How should I be building Estelle? I have her with several of the specialty quartz (Heaven's Eye, etc) but very few of the stat boosters. She has Deathblow 1 so she can kill in an AoE with True Hurricane though.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Amazon and Gamestop have updated their Cold Steel release date to December 15th.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Levantine posted:

Wow, the game really starts to change when you can afford the Quartz 4's. How should I be building Estelle? I have her with several of the specialty quartz (Heaven's Eye, etc) but very few of the stat boosters. She has Deathblow 1 so she can kill in an AoE with True Hurricane though.

She's my off/main tank and backup-backup spellcaster so I load her with earth, some water and action, then whatever else I'm low on.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

estelle seems far better in SC than FC, i normally had her with attack/action/status effect quartz and used her as a physical fighter. true hurricane can almost always hit nearly every enemy and actually does good damage now. during boss fights since she doesn't have single target damage outside of her s-craft i'd let her cast/heal until she built those up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I've heard she falls off again due to nonspecialization in 3rd while folks like agate become an unstoppable screaming wall of death capable of tearing through any random encounter in one turn, even endgame ones