Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

NitroSpazzz posted:

MPG chat, looks like I've been tracking for over 25k miles on the TDI - http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/golf/2000/nitrospazzz/240898

As long as the fucker continues to run I'm going to keep driving it.

I've tracked a little over 40k in the Saturd.

It gets nowhere near what the window sticker claimed. :sigh:

14 INCH DICK posted:

And on day 5 the ten strip of LSD you forgot you ate because of mental fatigue kicks in :unsmigghh:

Serious talk, I never knew LSD could be absorbed through the skin until I handled a 10 strip with sweaty hands. That was one hell of a surprise trip.

Tusen Takk posted:

Great now you've summoned him

:rip:

He didn't say it 3 times.

yet...

CharlesM posted:

My Mazda 3 is no longer numbers matching because I installed an autodimming mirror and CD changer

I ripped out the OnStar mirror (replacing it with a regular mirror that still had the compass and outside temp display), and also replaced the stereo.

gently caress, I murdered the value of my Ion didn't I? (if you can murder the value of something that's worth nearly $0)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Tusen Takk posted:

Seriously, like in my experience, most companies won't do something that they don't absolutely have to do until the very last minute, which is why I was shocked that the company I was interning with was showing me how to virtualize servers and maintain their virtualized servers while the forums are probably hosted on an old dell in Richards basement

There are a few more limitations to virtualizing poo poo than just migrating it to a VM, especially when it comes to things like databases. I can only imagine the state of the DB's for this site. Just pushing poo poo to "the cloud" is a awesome way to end up with poo poo performance and a really large bill from your hosting provider.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Went to Autozone to buy a new battery for my wife's Nissan, was not disappointed to see the "Battery Installation Expert" do the following:

1) break the 10mm bolt on the negative/ground clamp by deciding it needed to be be torqued to 300 pounds
2) put a clearly-too-big SAE bolt into the resulting metric hole, then try and screw it into the hole using force while manually attempting to turn a handheld even-too-bigger metric socket on the new SAE bolt head
3) hammer ineffectually at the stuck bolt with the butt end of the ratchet when that technique didn't work
4) make about 16 trips into and out of the Parts and Tool-Selling Store he was standing in front of to get one incorrect tool/part/socket each time, failing at picking the one single right size/item each round trip
5) try and put the negative connection on first and then attach the positive, luckily he stopped that when I said 'hey don't do that'
6) hammer the negative clamp onto the post using a combination of the improved ratchet-hammer (using the head this time) and slapping it with a needlenose pliers
7) inexplicably disappear and be replaced by a new guy midway through with no mention from either of them that the Battery Installation Expert had been replaced for a new unit. The new unit struggled too, but ultimately solved the problem.

10/10 would watch while shaking my head in disbelief for 45 minutes again. Well done!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Once the US finally switches over to metric, working on cars is going to be significantly less of a pain in the rear end

especially when makers, such as SATURN, like to use SAE and metric in the same car since the motor and trans are swedish and the interior is american!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

You found the Saab hoses too, didn't you?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tusen Takk posted:

Once the US finally switches over to metric, working on cars is going to be significantly less of a pain in the rear end

especially when makers, such as SATURN, like to use SAE and metric in the same car since the motor and trans are swedish and the interior is american!

still can't hold a candle to iirc land rover where there was or still is a period where they'd mix metric and SAE on the same fastener (ie metric shaft/threads, SAE head)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

still can't hold a candle to iirc land rover where there was or still is a period where they'd mix metric and SAE on the same fastener (ie metric shaft/threads, SAE head)

I'm still confused why Mercedes seems to use JIS fasteners for the wheel bolts. They have an M12x1.50 shaft with a 17mm head, but DIN says it should be an 18.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

kastein posted:

Here's a 97-01 XJ auto transmission controller I did recently, actually:

Disregard the purple, the bargain basement PCB fab house I use for prototypes does everything in purple:

Out of curiosity, what does it do? Allow you to select a gear and hold it or something? Change the shift RPMs?

I suppose it's all detailed in your massive naxja trans thread but a lot of that talk is over my head :downs:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
The best days at work are the ones where you yell at a C-level and don't get fired.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
Don't mean to derail, but can someone help this fool: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750832

I don't know why he asked GBS instead of posting here.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Should we do car game in GBS?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tommychu posted:

YESSSSS

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Tommychu posted:

I don't know what that is because i don't belong here but yes.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

tommychu you gently caress i was gonna start with the loving anime car but you ganked my loving thunder

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Enourmo posted:

tommychu you gently caress i was gonna start with the loving anime car but you ganked my loving thunder

Raise you red roaring V8 mofo

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Whatever you're doing I love it and keep doing it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The car game is stupid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlesM posted:

The car game is stupid.

Your face is stupid.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

CharlesM posted:

Im stupid. He;lp

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I loving ruined it :ohdear:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tommychu posted:

I loving ruined it :ohdear:

VENGAENSE

bucephalus you better fix yours now

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CharlesM posted:

The car game is stupid.

Why are you such a heartless bastard

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Enourmo posted:

VENGAENSE

bucephalus you better fix yours now

Got it

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

with the loving save, well done

i wonder how long they'll tolerate this, is the current iteration of jibbus tolerant of such shenanigans or not? i forget

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

double post because geirskogul is loving up the car game

color or model have to match, same brand doesn't count

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Enourmo posted:

i wonder how long they'll tolerate this, is the current iteration of jibbus tolerant of such shenanigans or not? i forget

Well worth the tempting of fate :D

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Enourmo posted:

I think we're going fast and loose with the rules here because it's funnier with the lightning pace.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Enourmo posted:

Trust me you're fine. Plus I think at this point they'll just be happy there's some inter-subforum interaction happening that doesn't involve fyad.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Enourmo posted:

Yeah I hosed it up. Got on too fast, but I'm in it now

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tommychu posted:

I think we're going fast and loose with the rules here because it's funnier with the lightning pace.

Fair enough!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Jesus christ, it's flying. Barely got that Beetle in.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Oh god I went to two colors and that is one color too many. The timeline is now split worse than a Zelda video game.

excellent save for my fuckup

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Nah, I think a Grey Beetle with Red Interior would be more your speed. Easy to work on, too!

:master:

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 10, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

we've crossed the event horizon now :unsmigghh:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You can't do three colors! This poo poo is like Primer now. The insanity!

Or, the Automotive Insanity

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I must be the only AI'er who doesn't enjoy the car game :smith:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CommieGIR posted:

yup :colbert:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

You have no soul

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CommieGIR posted:

CharlesM posted:

The car game is stupid.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Here you got cat interceptor your picture broke

E:

OH GOD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Full disclosure: idk how to play unless the rules are your car must be the same colour or model

• Locked thread