Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tempo 119 posted:

all the other characters are hollow garbage

Selphie is cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Can we go back to talking about Willow and how Hope is FF13's Burglekutt?

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Yes, lets get back to talking about FF13 and how it taught all of us that "Moms are tough".

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

All I know of FF13 is that Moms Are Tough and Azure Horizon is a rapist. Also it had a nice battle system when it finally opened up all options.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nihilarian posted:

Squall's character would have been much improved without dialogue options, imo. Take out all the whatever's and have him just say the character building lines and drop the options that make him sound like a jackass.

FFXIII was the first game to drop dialogue options since VI and it didn't really help Lightning.

Even Vaan could choose to be helpful or mean towards a rabbit.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

If you want to change the subject to something I won't write hundreds of words defending despite acknowledging that it's basically crap then FF13 is a poor choice

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Yeah but XIII is still better than VIII.

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 10, 2015

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tempo 119 posted:

You don't need to tell me all the other characters are hollow garbage and the main plot is a total mess. I know.

Seifer was awesome and easily the most consistent and developed character in the game.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Yeah but XIII is still better than VIII.

This is absolutely true. Sometimes I think the only reason people hate XIII more than VIII is because of timing . Nostalgia blinds them to VIII' shittiness while XIII, being more recent, has all its flaws pointed out in the glaring light of being a jaded adult.

XIII is still bad but it has more things in it that I can compliment than VIII does.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I like both VIII and XIII while being able to understand that there are some notable flaws in both. I find VIII easier to go back to though.

Honestly IV is the game I have the most difficult time going back to, since the party composition changes so often and you don't have a whole lot of stuff to play with til... what, Mysidia?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
mystic quest is the bomb diggity

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

alcharagia posted:

mystic quest is the bomb diggity

i think you'll find at least one person who vehemently disagrees with this correct position

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I like VIII and XIII a lot and sometimes feel like the only person in the thread that enjoys final fantasy

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

As much as I don't like 13, it's more playable and fun than 8 ever could hope to be.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Mystic Quest has been mentioned; I must force everyone to once more listen to the boss theme!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUGDp39srk0

Where's my Mystic Quest HD remake, SE? :argh:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Coughing Hobo posted:

Where's my Mystic Quest HD remake, SE? :argh:

Ask and you shall receive :unsmigghh:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

I like VIII and XIII a lot and sometimes feel like the only person in the thread that enjoys final fantasy

I love me some Final Fantasy. Just not Mystic Quest or XIII.

They're Bad Games, people!! (Play whatever you find fun and tell trolls like me where to stick it)

Seriously though I'd rather play FF XII or Xenoblade again than even try to finish XIII.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

NO SHUT UP AAAAAUUUUGGGGHHHH

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The XII spinoff that never was.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Huh that's not the worst spinoff plot other than Larsa x Ashe OTP

It was GRIN, right, that faxed a copy of FFXII's source code when asked to fax code to SE headquarters to show development progress and was told it "Wasn't final fantasy enough"

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

And then Wolf's brother killed himself, yes.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ApplesandOranges posted:

I like both VIII and XIII while being able to understand that there are some notable flaws in both. I find VIII easier to go back to though.

Honestly IV is the game I have the most difficult time going back to, since the party composition changes so often and you don't have a whole lot of stuff to play with til... what, Mysidia?

The main reasons I find it easy to go back to 4 is nostalgia, it's relatively fast and short, it has simple but very well-executed story/character beats, and the music is still some of the best in series. It's such a closed up game that going just for the gameplay is never going to be very satisfying though.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

quote:

After three bridges crumble, unexpected reinforcements arrive: Emperor Larsa and Judge Zargabaath--another leader of the militaristic Archadian Senate--appear with fresh soldiers. Their numbers doubled, the heroes protect Larsa as he crosses the last bridge into the inner fortress before blowing it up.

Zargabaath, you almost got to do something ...

That's a pretty good scenario though, it's got a bit of a pagan myth feel to it with Basch's sacrifice and and rebirth which actually feels pretty appropriate for FFXII's mythology and Basch's character, real shame SE torpedo'd this, and in such a lovely way too

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Nov 10, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Where's Gabranth, he's the only FFXII char I care about besides Balthier.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Baal posted:

Where's Gabranth, he's the only FFXII char I care about besides Balthier.

Gabranth died at the end of FFXII defending Larsa from Vayne, Basch takes his place in the epilogue which was the setup for this game

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
actually ff13 is cool and good I've changed my opinion completely since I've started playing it again

actually I think all final fantasy games are really good.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Zargabaath, you almost got to do something ...

That's a pretty good scenario though, it's got a bit of a pagan myth feel to it with Basch's sacrifice and and rebirth which actually feels pretty appropriate for FFXII's mythology and Basch's character, real shame SE torpedo'd this, and in such a lovely way too

Zargabaath attempted to ram the Bahamut at the end in order to stop it from falling on Rabanastre. He's also voiced by Simon Templeman. So there's always that.

I always like the dynamic between the Judges. Judge Drace despises Vayne and wants Larsa as Emperor. Judge Gabranth follows the emperor and his orders to protect Larsa. Judge Bergan is fanatically loyal to Vayne. Judge Zargabaath is a nationalist and only supports Vayne to fend off the Rozarrian Empire.

It seems that SE is aware of FFXII's popularity in the West and attempted to have Western development teams take a shot at a sequel. However, their Japanese developers not as keen to develop the games themselves.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

My OTP was Penelo and Larsa anyway...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
baschxbalthier otp

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Vayne x Venat, clearly. Vaynat?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Gabranth died at the end of FFXII defending Larsa from Vayne, Basch takes his place in the epilogue which was the setup for this game

But I want him

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Baal posted:

But I want him

Play Dissidia. In the original Gabranth was in some kind of hell dimension where its implied/outright stated the souls of the fallen heroes/villains go after they've been defeated in the cycles and he presided over them as judge to test their resolve to go back to the battlefield.

Shantotto also had her own pocket dimension in that game that is implied she either accidentally found or created and she decided to stay in it for a spell to study the cycle and magic and poo poo. Shantotto's the best.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I haven't seen Gabranth at all in Dissidia Duodecim and I'm almost completely done with the 013 scenario. What the hell

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I haven't seen Gabranth at all in Dissidia Duodecim and I'm almost completely done with the 013 scenario. What the hell

You have to go way out of your way in the unlockable story to find him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Steampunk Gent posted:

real shame SE torpedo'd this, and in such a lovely way too

Have you actually seen the developer's game lineup? A good writeup doesn't mean a lot when their game history peaks at Bionic Command Rearmed and is otherwise almost entirely poo poo.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Have you actually seen the developer's game lineup? A good writeup doesn't mean a lot when their game history peaks at Bionic Command Rearmed and is otherwise almost entirely poo poo.

I was thinking of the post-mortem where they stated actual FFXII concept art had been dismissed by SE as insufficently Final Fantasy-esque, at the very least the project seems to have been handled in pretty bad faith. Fair point the final game may not have been great, but the storyboard at least did look like an interesting direction for the franchise

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gologle posted:

Play Dissidia. In the original Gabranth was in some kind of hell dimension where its implied/outright stated the souls of the fallen heroes/villains go after they've been defeated in the cycles and he presided over them as judge to test their resolve to go back to the battlefield.

Shantotto also had her own pocket dimension in that game that is implied she either accidentally found or created and she decided to stay in it for a spell to study the cycle and magic and poo poo. Shantotto's the best.

I've already played Dissidia. Give him his own game where all of his lines are his Dissidia battle quotes and he wrecks dudes.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
BaschxVossler and PeneloxLarsa OTPs. :colbert:

Sunning posted:

Zargabaath attempted to ram the Bahamut at the end in order to stop it from falling on Rabanastre. He's also voiced by Simon Templeman. So there's always that.

I always like the dynamic between the Judges. Judge Drace despises Vayne and wants Larsa as Emperor. Judge Gabranth follows the emperor and his orders to protect Larsa. Judge Bergan is fanatically loyal to Vayne. Judge Zargabaath is a nationalist and only supports Vayne to fend off the Rozarrian Empire.

It seems that SE is aware of FFXII's popularity in the West and attempted to have Western development teams take a shot at a sequel. However, their Japanese developers not as keen to develop the games themselves.

I wonder how often people forget that Revenant Wings exist. And that multiple XII characters appear in Tactics A2, so that's sort of a sequel as well.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Gologle posted:

She really is and it sucks that most fans don't get to see her story arcs since she's trapped in the hellish experience that is FF11.

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

Baal posted:

I've already played Dissidia. Give him his own game where all of his lines are his Dissidia battle quotes and he wrecks dudes.

This but unironically

I do hope that Gabranth will come to FF Freemium Edition Record Keeper someday. It had been my secret dream that he and Basch would debut in a joint event, but it looks like Basch is coming to the JP version with his own event, which is still cool but man just give me the handsome dark knight who hates himself and everyone else so much that sick explosions come out of his swords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Solovey posted:

This but unironically

I do hope that Gabranth will come to FF Freemium Edition Record Keeper someday. It had been my secret dream that he and Basch would debut in a joint event, but it looks like Basch is coming to the JP version with his own event, which is still cool but man just give me the handsome dark knight who hates himself and everyone else so much that sick explosions come out of his swords

Basch dress record. But nah, it's far more likely that Vaan would get one first. Still, Basch is their last main character from XII, so from here they can only add Guests or someone like Gabranth.