Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

quote:

Ships with a 360-degree firing arc printed on their Ship Token may only fire their Primary weapon up to Range 2 when firing from that arc, unless granted the ability to fire at Range 3 from a specific upgrade card.

Good, good. loving Borg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

ExtraNoise posted:

Good, good. loving Borg.

Yep. Maybe this will breal the grip of Picard and Dukats balls on the meta.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The range 2 thing would have been enough really but the spin change is really bad. A ship with 0 agility than can no longer arc dodge for poo poo....great idea.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Now there's gonna be a Andy Dick card.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

did anyone go to Peak Performance? Whats a good strat? I cant read the poo poo pile that is BGGs Attack wing forum anymore

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

zVxTeflon posted:

did anyone go to Peak Performance? Whats a good strat? I cant read the poo poo pile that is BGGs Attack wing forum anymore

I'd definitely do a stand of fighters, which is good advice in general, but here they are obnoxious to take off the board again and again. You'll probably get some good mileage out of a little cloaked mine spam, too, since there's a planet to maneuver around and respawning ships will have to deal with them over and over.

I'd probably do fighters and 2 big, tough ships, focus fire to take out something then retreat back into a mine bunker while you're up on points.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Well 3 people showed up. "heres your prize ship" then we left without playing a single game. At this point I might as well ebay everything but the Scimitar, Valdore and maybe Voyager now that Borg are trash and theres like 0 turnout for any events. The Q storyline prizes are more BoPs and D'deridexes......

Otis I think we're the last rats on this ship come join us in the X-wing thread

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
No Otis, come play Armada

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Play X-Wing, drunkenly suggest that you can do a free for all, and grab your Attack Wing ships, make a thematic and not top of the line team, have your friends team up against you, win anyways by a decisive margin.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I bought too drat many of these things to quit now. Plus I signed up to run the events, and that gives me all sorts of bennies at the store. :D

The 360/spin errata gave me some heart that they're still trying to salvage something of this mess.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

No Otis, come play Armada

Seriously.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

mmm yes let me hit tilde to bring up the console and enter the "infinite time, space, and money for tabletop hobby games" cheat

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

mmm yes let me hit tilde to bring up the console and enter the "infinite time, space, and money for tabletop hobby games" cheat

Sell your giant collection of garbage game toys.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Sell your giant collection of garbage game toys.

Even if I wanted to, there's so many "getting out of the game, selling my collection" posts that I'd get like 10% of what I spent on this mess. I'd rather just keep it and ride out the twilight here and occasionally break it out for casual play after it dies at that price.

Plus I also am playing 3 Warmahordes factions.

:homebrew:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Even if I wanted to, there's so many "getting out of the game, selling my collection" posts that I'd get like 10% of what I spent on this mess. I'd rather just keep it and ride out the twilight here and occasionally break it out for casual play after it dies at that price.

Plus I also am playing 3 Warmahordes factions.

:homebrew:

Wanna go halfsies on a starter? I can't afford to get into Armada either.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

zVxTeflon posted:

Well 3 people showed up. "heres your prize ship" then we left without playing a single game. At this point I might as well ebay everything but the Scimitar, Valdore and maybe Voyager now that Borg are trash and theres like 0 turnout for any events. The Q storyline prizes are more BoPs and D'deridexes......

Otis I think we're the last rats on this ship come join us in the X-wing thread

That was pretty much the end of Mage Knight. Everything was going great for the first couple of expansions, I was running the tournaments here, then they 'fixed' some rules and hosed everybody who had bought any Mage Knight by releasing the 2.0 stuff. Attendance dropped like a rock to the point that the one or two people who showed up just got the prizes automatically and stuck around to play a game or two before taking their winnings home.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Transwarp mugging fleet: The Next Generation:

U.S.S. Prometheus [30]
- Mr. Spock 6 (Captain) (U.S.S. Enterprise (Refit)) [4]
- Regenerative Shielding (USS Prometheus) [4]
- Multi-Adaptive Shields (U.S.S. Raven) [5]
- William T. Riker (U.S.S. Hood) [3]
- Tom Paris (U.S.S. Voyager) [4]
Ship Total: 50 SP

U.S.S. Enterprise-E [32]
- Jean-Luc Picard 9 (Captain) (Starter Set) [6]
- - Picard Maneuver (U.S.S. Stargazer) [5]
- Tactical Station (U.S.S. Stargazer) [4]
- Pavel Chekov (U.S.S. Enterprise (Refit)) [3]
Ship Total: 50 SP

Federation Attack Squadron (Federation Attack Squadron) [20]
Ship Total: 20 SP

Fleet Total: 120 SP

Gets across the board to jump them with 12 quality-fixed attack dice turn one to hopefully pop their best ship, while weathering the counterattack really well between the attack debuff of Picard Maneuver and the 4 evade of the Prometheus. Cloaked mines are cock-blocked because you've grabbed them by the collar before they have a chance to deploy them, or they have to drop them suboptimally first turn, in which case the E might have to take it on the chin as a calculated loss, but the Prometheus gets to roll 4 defense dice against them. Admittedly the Ent-E becomes relatively easy meat once its completed its alpha strike, but the Prometheus can potentially go the distance while the fighters roll in to help mop up.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 17, 2015

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Wanna go halfsies on a starter? I can't afford to get into Armada either.

No, I want to play FROSTGRAVE

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

No, I want to play FROSTGRAVE

FROSTGRAVE is best.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

FROSTGRAVE is best.

Recently I thought I'd lost all of my Federation cards, which would make me just sell off whatever was left and give up this dumb game entirely.

And I confess under the frustration of thinking I'd lost one component to make hundreds of bucks worth of game crap useless, there was some relief.

I found the cards and must continue to play this because of the sunk cost phallus.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Dude, just bail and convert your stuff where possible.

Life made me give up Heroclix a few months ago and I'm very happy with only using my little figures for D&D.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It's dumb, but as the local Event Organizer I feel I have an obligation. It would like if Jim Jones were the only guy not to line up for the Flavor Aide.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Hey guys I just bought this for casual play after eyeing it for years. But now the expansion ships I wanted are literally double the price of before. What gives?

I just want to roleplay the climaxes of st2 and st6 so I just need a reliant and enterprise and Changs bop, excelsior, and enterprise refit.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Mantle posted:

But now the expansion ships I wanted are literally double the price of before. What gives?

What? Where?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Mantle posted:

Hey guys I just bought this for casual play after eyeing it for years. But now the expansion ships I wanted are literally double the price of before. What gives?

I just want to roleplay the climaxes of st2 and st6 so I just need a reliant and enterprise and Changs bop, excelsior, and enterprise refit.

3/4 are available at a discount here:

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/catalog/product/view/id/40895/s/wzk71532/
https://www.miniaturemarket.com/catalog/product/view/id/35444/s/wzk71121/
https://www.miniaturemarket.com/catalog/product/view/id/38197/s/wzk71272/

Enterprise refit is out of stock there, and looking for another source it actually does look like it's temporarilly OOS from distributors with some people trying to get retarded amounts for it. Check in periodically for restocks. For a while the Defiant was in the same boat, and now it's ten bucks on MM like everything else. Don't pay more than retail for it.

I think this game still works pretty well for casual play. "Okay, 100 points 23rd century style, everything has to be from the films/original series" or "Okay, Klingon Romulan conflict, in the 24th century" or whatever. If you can have some thematic constraints on it with bros who are down to play that way.

Expansion glut and veering too far into CCG combo play really hurts it as a competitive game, and the entire year they let the Borg ignore the two most basic restrictions of the Flight Path system without any drawback was something else.

E: In the meantime it should be fairly easy to proxy the refit if you get the original (and you should, it's got some cool stuff in it). IINM it's got an identical maneuver dial, firing arcs, and just has one less shield. You can proxy all the crew and upgrades easilly enough as well.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 6, 2015

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Mantle posted:

I envy you who lives somewhere that you can bring up a mins war game for casual play.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Moriatti posted:

I envy you who lives somewhere that you can bring up a mins war game for casual play.

Lol it's a Star Trek game! That's what I told my friends.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I hope you enjoy it.

I managed to turn it into a sort of obligation by being the local event guy, and I think watching it just utterly break down after the first few promising expansions soured me on it really hard. I still buy all the Fed stuff because I'm a sucker and still enjoy the occasional pick up game, and still run the events because I'm The Guy That Does That.

Like I said, sensibly constrained it's pretty decent. Hard for it not to be, it's basically X-Wing with a little more emphasis on the dudes and gear on your boats, and X-Wing is solid. If you're just treating it as a scenario game where you're setting it up for friends, should be reasonably fun.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 9, 2015

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I think it makes a difference that my friends are coming as Star Trek fans first, rather than miniature wargaming fans. Heck one of them has the VHS game so I can actually experience Bij. The other one just bought the Defiant first without even knowing it was part of a game just cause he wanted the model.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

My first time hosting Bij I would rate as a 7/10. It started off well where my friend brought his Defiant and Neghvar and I introduced the game adding the Enterprise and Vorcha using the simple rules on my 3x3 table. Action was fast and lots of dice rolling was had.

Then my other friend arrived and we decided to just play the starter pack on my 4x3 table using full rules. With 3 ships on that size surface and two of them with cloak, there was a lot of dice rolling against 5 or 6 evade dice or against 3 evade tokens on the Enterprise courtesy of Data. It was 3 hours before one ship was destroyed with a lot of turns where no one could attack anyone else.

How can I make the game more fast paced? Smaller play area is one but how about adding more obstacles to hinder movement?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

This loving game.

This card released with wave 0.

This is an upcoming card from wave 22.

This is a constructed game with fixed, evergreen expansions. There is no common sheet to fill with dross.

There is literally no reason to make an identical but strictly worse version of a card that can already be taken in arbitrary numbers, unless--and perish the thought--you're not bothering to research what cards even already exist when you design an expansion and you have no institutional communication/continuity/memory.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Otisburg posted:

There is literally no reason to make an identical but strictly worse version of a card that can already be taken in arbitrary numbers, unless--and perish the thought--you're not bothering to research what cards even already exist when you design an expansion and you have no institutional communication/continuity/memory.

WizKids is terrible at game design. Both of their licensed flightpath games are absolute trash.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Panzeh posted:

WizKids is terrible at game design. Both of their licensed flightpath games are absolute trash.

In addition to the second one having an identical effect with 3 more restrictions (unique, positioning in relation to friendlies, position in relation to enemies), ignoring that the wording for the basic trigger and effect is entirely different.

It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't trying to push it as a proper competitive game like MTG or WMH with regional and nationals and poo poo.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Otisburg posted:

In addition to the second one having an identical effect with 3 more restrictions (unique, positioning in relation to friendlies, position in relation to enemies), ignoring that the wording for the basic trigger and effect is entirely different.

It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't trying to push it as a proper competitive game like MTG or WMH with regional and nationals and poo poo.

See: All the identically named photon torpedoes that do slightly different things.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Panzeh posted:

See: All the identically named photon torpedoes that do slightly different things.

Yeeep. I mean how much effort would it have taken to append either the class of ship or "Type 1/2/3 etc" torpedo and tried to keep rough track of which type has what text?

The cherry on top is that not a one of them is worth taking 95% of the time.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Otisburg posted:

Yeeep. I mean how much effort would it have taken to append either the class of ship or "Type 1/2/3 etc" torpedo and tried to keep rough track of which type has what text?

The cherry on top is that not a one of them is worth taking 95% of the time.

To be fair, this is also a problem in X-wing, the torpedoes not being worth taking, and it's for the exact same reason, really, though WizKids went really ham trying to make that kind of weapon worth taking with 10 dice ordnance. Or maybe they just wanted to make something that fired 10 red dice because they felt like it. You can never really tell.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Otisburg posted:

Wizkids.txt

Also, "Wave 22" is crazy.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Moriatti posted:

Wizkids.txt

Also, "Wave 22" is crazy.

When they went to the "wave a month" thing, I assumed they found out the license was somehow up, but that was over a year and a half ago.

Interestingly that's also when any semblance of game balance started going all the way to poo poo.

I have such a love-hate with this game. It's still fun when played with chill Trekkies for the theme of it, and the Flightpath system is solid enough that even a poor variation will still have good moments. But God-drat is the design slapdash and terrible.

I still collect the Feds and play the game, though, because I am gay for star trek, have cool people to play it with sometimes, and admittedly also the sunk cost phallus. :smithicide:

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Computer, make a set of house rules capable of making Attack Wing well designed.

I feel your pain though, I still participate in Heroclix sealed for many of the same reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Moriatti posted:

Computer, make a set of house rules capable of making Attack Wing well designed.

Unable to comply.

• Locked thread