Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phade
Oct 8, 2006
The real question is how much is one night of pretending you're Tom Cruise in Risky Business worth to you? It only really needs to run once in that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

In case anybody is interested CSCC has a novice TSD Rally running this sunday http://www.cscc.ab.ca/Snark/

This one is fairly straightforward and easy from what I remember. Good way to try it out TSD rallying.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

phade posted:

The real question is how much is one night of pretending you're Tom Cruise in Risky Business worth to you? It only really needs to run once in that case.

It should also be noted it's a 928s

The s stands for "sssson of a bitch why won't you start"

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
My only knowledge of 928's is the Top Gear cheap Porsche episode.

Finally lined up someone to get my garage ceiling blown in - under $400 for R-40 and 3 days notice.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I've always liked it because by and large I dislike modern Porsches, the 928 was supposed to replace 911 and so they made a car that was probably 10-15 years ahead of its time to win over all the skeptics. It showed that Porsche could make amazing cars instead of leaning on a gimmick

Unfortunately they proceeded to keep the 911 alive and left the 928 to languish virtually unchanged for close to 20 years. So now we get an endless stream of 911 derivatives, entry models built on its appeal and a reskinned VW SUV.

phade
Oct 8, 2006

Powershift posted:

It should also be noted it's a 928s

I'm seriously hoping this thing is in good condition and one of you picks it up for next to nothing so I can live vicariously through you.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Well, 1500 quid is about $3000 right now. there's one on kijiji for $4500, so $3000 on a mystery auction 928 might be within the realm of possibility.

I haven't made a terrible car decision since september, but i don't think i'd be on it for over $1k

I should note that BMW 850i went for $3500 in edmonton, and it looked really, really good.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 10, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If its 3k, yeah I will buy it and deal with spouse fallout. gently caress, I wasn't planning on a Calgary trip this weekend. How does that online bidding work?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Online bidding is trucks only.

There's still the possibility someone gets stupid with it and it hits $10k.

It also appears the supply of cheap rear end E38s has dried up.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If slidebite somehow doesn't show up I'd be willing to have a go up to $2k. I couldn't get sleep because of this loving thing last night.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

phade posted:

I'm seriously hoping this thing is in good condition and one of you picks it up for next to nothing so I can live vicariously through you.

I've been mostly "meh" about this 928 discussion, but then you went and reminded me about those headlights. gently caress. Now I want this car.

Powershift posted:

I should note that BMW 850i went for $3500 in edmonton, and it looked really, really good.
Auctions. Auctions are clearly the answer. Goddam.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

1500quidporsche posted:

If slidebite somehow doesn't show up I'd be willing to have a go up to $2k. I couldn't get sleep because of this loving thing last night.

I genuinely don't know if I can make to Calgary Saturday. We've got homebuilding issues that need to be addressed and I can't miss that meeting.

How long do auctions go? Is there any way to tell when it ~roughly~ might be on the block?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They'll move things around before the sale, but right now it's lot 60. they usually have 200-300 lots to burn through from 9-5, so if there's 200 lots, and it's lot 60, it'll go through at roughly 11am, which means they'll be starting it cold at about 10:30 if you wanna listen for chain slap.

ExecuDork posted:

I've been mostly "meh" about this 928 discussion, but then you went and reminded me about those headlights. gently caress. Now I want this car.

Auctions. Auctions are clearly the answer. Goddam.

Yeah, look at my $4000 current fleet, and my past history. It's about 50% luck, 50% just being there with cash.

These 2 right here were $3000 for 15 liters of fury. Nearly 450hp!

The subaru i paid $10k for, which was way too much. got wrote off for 7k.
The mack i paid $17,500, beat the living poo poo out of it for 3 years, and ran it back through for $20,000
The king ranch i paid $14,900 when they were $28k retail, sent it back through almost 4 years and 30,000kms later for $12,500 when they are $12,500 retail.
That mercedes 560 would have been balls out awesome. Paid $900, if it didn't have a salvage title i would have replaced the trans vacuum actuator, driven it down to the states and sold it for $5-10k USD.

The car window is closing at michener. They don't do online bidding on the cars like they do on the trucks yet, and on the trucks, americans are coming in and drinking our milkshake.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 10, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

How close of a look can you get on them before hand?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

How close of a look can you get on them before hand?

As close as you want, really. before they start it you can check all the fluids and that, check for fatal rust or damage or stuff like that. crawl under it if you don't mind gettin dirty. Once it's running, it's usually ~10 minutes before someone comes to drive it over the block. you can't move it more than a few feet forward or back, but you can make sure it can catch first and reverse, put a scan tool on if the vehicle supports that kind of stuff.

edit: ya'll motherfuckers need auctions. I bet you go out and pay more than $10 for a lawnmower or $30 for a snowblower, or $50 for a big compressor.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 11, 2015

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My first real job while I was still in highschool was driving the cars through the auction in Surrey.

There was one vehicle we named the pulp fiction because someone was shot and killed. They didn't even clean the blood out of it. Blood everywhere.

Oddest vehicle I witnessed was some sort of Bugatti roadster replica with a hand crank to start it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It really looks like I won't be able to make it to Calgary Saturday, or at least not until quite late even if I could. :(

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Shame because I highly doubt I'm going to be able to steal it for $2k if it is running. Going to have to give it a shot though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If anybody is looking for an even worse decision, there's an unreserved "donate-a-car" z32 twin turbo 300zx at regal this saturday too.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

My tolerance for pain is pretty high but those rims are a giant red flag if I've ever seen one. I'm hitching my horse to the Porsche wagon.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I wouldn't imagine you would need a larger red flag than the fact that it was donated.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Nah man, when I was working at Pick n Pull people would donate perfectly good cars for the kidney car thing so I usually don't count it being donated against the car. The vast majority of them were boring sedans though, you'd see stuff like a 2003 Camry come in with less then 200k on it and nothing wrong with it and these people just donated it to the kidney foundation for whatever reason. Some people are just incredibly stupid.

If it is from pick-n-pull though that's another huge red flag though because they only sent cars to the auction when they couldn't sell them in the yard, which usually means its a giant train wreck that looks nice from a distance.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 12, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hey guys, that ecoboost let the nugget out. Anybody know the best way to get it back in?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

:ohdear: Please tell me the snails weren't damaged.

Also I'm throwing in the towel on the 928. I've got enough poo poo on my plate already.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's fine, you've got like five more pistons. That's still between one and two more than I have.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's fine, you've got like five more pistons. That's still between one and two more than I have.

You obviously haven't seen the mechanical failures thread yet.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
So I'm gonna guess that's not getting swapped into the CVPI I've been eyefucking on Kijiji all week.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's not getting swapped into anything any time soon. I think the nugget is part of the rod, but it's non-ferrous. It's neat as hell, looks lke a metorite. I'm going to thread an eye bolt into it and make it a keychain.

mmmm. nugget.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Haha, amazing

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Looks like it passed a kidney stone. :stare:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The bid book At Michener is the thinnest I've seen

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

The bid book At Michener is the thinnest I've seen

Anything good in the sub-$1000 class with a stick shift?

e: Wonder how much that 2013 Fiat 500 Pop (D59) is going to go for. I really should go sometime before they roll out online bidding.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 14, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So, anyone know what that 928 went for?

Please tell me it was $8K and it was a basket case.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

So, anyone know what that 928 went for?

Please tell me it was $8K and it was a basket case.

I hosed off when I realized it was really really nice and the Saab I was eyeing hit 3000

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
$3000 for a Saab? There are pretty nice ones for sub-$500 right now.

As this thread has stated in the past.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I just found out that I've been conscripted to help swap a 1.9L TDI engine with a full "stage 4 kit" into a S1 RX8 for the 2016 GRM Challenge.....:aaa:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

I just found out that I've been conscripted to help swap a 1.9L TDI engine with a full "stage 4 kit" into a S1 RX8 for the 2016 GRM Challenge.....:aaa:

:dong:

Haahahahahahahahaha

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The porsche went for $5300, which is pretty reasonable. it's probably worth $10-12k with all the little issues dealt with assuming nothing major pops up.

The infiniti M45 went for $3000, which i think was a decent deal. The fiat 500 pop went for 7100 with 53k, A 209k supercharged grand prix GTP went for $550 which was waaaaay too much for a grand prix. a 170k 02 TDI golf went for $1400 which is stupid cheap driving.

Really not much else of interest.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
$550 is way too much for a GTP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man Fiat 500s only take a $1500ish haircut at auction? Brutal.