Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Fallout is post-apocalyptic, not post-post-apocalyptic. The whole setting is "humanity survives and rebuilds, but doesn't rebuild that much." Logic about everything being hunky-dory 200 years later isn't true in this setting.

When stuff gets too well preserved or 'normal', you get New "PLEASE PLEASE care about this random city that doesn't have the Enclave or Super Mutants to threaten it" Vegas.

If more leaders had the foresight of Robert House maybe the East Coast wouldn't be so lovely, now would it :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Wait, does the game come out midnight or 1AM EST?

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Mystic Stylez posted:

How is the PC performance? Will I be able to run this with decent graphics and framerate at 1600x900 in a i5 3570/GTX660/16GB of RAM?

Same cpu, same amount of ram, Ati 7950 running 1920x1080 with everything on ultra, not noticed any stutter or any other issues at all, other than getting distracted by scenery and blundering into enemy encampments.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I have begun playing through as Sterling Archer. I'm going to get all the gun perks and some sneaking and generally go on a wasteland rampage. I figure if Archer was in a post-apocalypse he'd get pretty into it.

MisterBibs posted:

Fallout is post-apocalyptic, not post-post-apocalyptic. The whole setting is "humanity survives and rebuilds, but doesn't rebuild that much." Logic about everything being hunky-dory 200 years later isn't true in this setting.

When stuff gets too well preserved or 'normal', you get New "PLEASE PLEASE care about this random city that doesn't have the Enclave or Super Mutants to threaten it" Vegas.

But New Vegas was the poo poo and I did indeed care because there were still threats and a compelling power struggle over a source of clean water. I don't see the problem.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BigRed0427 posted:

Wait, does the game come out midnight or 1AM EST?

Midnight your local time, whatever it is

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Meowbot posted:

there might be hope for this game yet because from some streamers i'm seeing they are playing it at 4K with reshade and it looks pretty drat spiffy

nowhere near as good as skyrim or witcher 3, but "we're getting there" so in maybe a eyar or so this game can look as good as skyrim from 2012 or whatevers lol

shut the gently caress up

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

My characters, Mrs. Tochen and Mr. Ruben MaDiq:

Now my stupid question:

Is there no way to pick up and swing around small objects? I can't find a key to map for it.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Why is everyone making nightmarish Lemony Snicket people

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Harrow posted:

I have begun playing through as Sterling Archer. I'm going to get all the gun perks and some sneaking and generally go on a wasteland rampage. I figure if Archer was in a post-apocalypse he'd get pretty into it.

But New Vegas was the poo poo and I did indeed care because there were still threats and a compelling power struggle over a source of clean water. I don't see the problem.

Does Boston have airboats?

FNV owned who is hating on it??

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

JoshTheStampede posted:

Honestly just workin' with what I got here.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

JoshTheStampede posted:

fun

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

turnways posted:

My characters, Mrs. Tochen and Mr. Ruben MaDiq:

Now my stupid question:

Is there no way to pick up and swing around small objects? I can't find a key to map for it.

Hold down the use button. F I think it is on PC?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Gonna try to make Tony Stark. Roll around tripping balls in power armor and make robots do my bidding.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

crime fighting hog posted:

Wow. I got my key emailed to me in less than a couple minutes. Nerds sure do get whiny.

Actually it's about ethics in video games distribution.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm having a ton of fun so far, but I should stress that I don't give a single gently caress about the plot or dialog or anything. They're all pretty bad besides Codsworth being awesome. I just really wanted a raider-shooting and junk-looting simulator and Fallout 4 delivers that experience to me much more than New Vegas ever did. I just don't actually ever give a drat about plot in this type of game. I can see people being disappointed if they want any reason beyond the drive of bigger numbers or sick headshots to keep playing, but to me this is quite enjoyable.

Settlements seem fun too but I've barely scratched the surface.

I need more screws to keep making my weapons into horrifying abominations of guncrafting. Not enough things with screws in them in the world, IMHO. Considering getting that scrapper perk just so that I can turn those 90000 pipe pistols raiders keep dropping into screws.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
since im on the west coast what time will it be available to play? I know at 120am1 its gonna be available on the east coast does that mean its gonna be playable at 9pm west coast time or am I going to have to wait till 12am west coast time?

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Wow, didn't even realize the vault tec guy was Roy Campbell. There's also a dude voiced by Garrus just chilling out in a house down the road from a diner.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Regarding base building, do you unlock more walls and doors and furniture and poo poo as the game progresses or do they give you everything at the start?

I would like to unlock a wall with a window.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Grody posted:

since im on the west coast what time will it be available to play? I know at 120am1 its gonna be available on the east coast does that mean its gonna be playable at 9pm west coast time or am I going to have to wait till 12am west coast time?

In one hour.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Grody posted:

9:01 for us.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Grapplejack posted:

If more leaders had the foresight of Robert House maybe the East Coast wouldn't be so lovely, now would it :colbert:

New Vegas is not considered canon by Zenimax because of its metacritic score.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

TheBuilder posted:

New Vegas is not considered canon by Zenimax because of its metacritic score.

Guess fallout 4 is even less canon

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Game's a bit janky but awesome. Where do I get crystal so I can make a beacon to get people to come to my settlement? Also, is it possible to remap the scrapping popup's confirm key so that you don't have to hit R then Enter every time you want to scrap something?

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
Where can I find a Chemistry Station? Using stimpacks so much.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Asciana posted:

Where can I find a Chemistry Station? Using stimpacks so much.

There's actually one behind a house in the starter village, just go pick it up and pop it somewhere more useful.

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
Where do I get copper? Daddy needs electricity!

BanhMi
May 11, 2015
You don't have to come out of vault 21 to be an Earth Rocker. Andrew Stranberg is an Earth Rocker.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Anyone watching a stream of good base building stuff? I can't play until my RMA replacement SSD gets here and I want to see what people have made.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
New Vegas will likely be ignored, story-wise, because nothing of import happened, if you look at things from the perspective of anywhere else in the setting. Some folks fought over some landmark for some reason, but who cares cuz there's a Super Mutant/Enclave remnant /Something Significant attack right here.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Does anybody know how common Fusion Cores are? Is there some way to reliably find/buy them, or is power armor a very limited proposition?

BanhMi
May 11, 2015
I know what's going on. I got set up. I got jumped. 'Follow' you into the wasteland?????

Thank god Nikki wasn't there to watch me get my loving rear end kicked. She would have wound up with a black eye and prolly went to jail. She has a big mouth. Sick of the bullshit. I stay in hiding like a loving hermit. I'm not gonna take any poo poo from anyone. Bring it the gently caress on.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fallout 4 is :mediocre:. I mean it feels a lot like 3, which isn't surprising.

The UI is complete poo poo though. Animations are also pretty poor.

Basically Bethesda should hire CD Projekt to do the sequel because goddamn the Witcher 3 makes this look super bad.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
"Can my PC do the dirty deed" gets thrown around a lot. I'm picking up the game in an hour or so, old school brick and mortar. Gotta build the store first, hire Fred Flintstone-type employees and poo poo, gonna be a bit.

I'll be streaming once everything is loaded up (maybe an hour or two from now?), and here is a snap shot of my rig specs as taken in the nvidia experience thing (which didn't even work to update my drivers, had to do it manually. Go figure). Maybe watching for a bit can help some of you get an idea of how things will perform on your own rigs. In all honesty, I have zero idea how well it will work out on my machine. Suppose we'll find out before long.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

crime fighting hog posted:

Man, counting my stars I have tomorrow and Wednesday off work anyway. I ain't gonna get poo poo done around the house :v:

Close enough to that to :hfive:

As soon as I get off work tomorrow I'm grabbing some beer, Jone's Soda's Quantum, some greasy takeout, and playing the poo poo out of this game. I took Wednesday off to do to the same all day, even if game ends up sucking I'll still enjoy some peace and quiet.

Edit: Can you make the dog leave or is he with you forever? I was going to use the lone wanderer perk but some people were saying you can't rid of the dog once he joins you.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013
I recommend you guys pop down to your friendly neighborhood HalluciGen building, there's some interesting stuff happening in there.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone seen anything about establishing trade caravans from settlement to settlement? Like how it works, and if there's money to be made?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MisterBibs posted:

New Vegas will likely be ignored, story-wise, because nothing of import happened, if you look at things from the perspective of anywhere else in the setting. Some folks fought over some landmark for some reason, but who cares cuz there's a Super Mutant/Enclave remnant /Something Significant attack right here.

to be fair. new vegas is on the otherside of the super blow to gently caress the american continent. It takes years to travel from one side to the other probably and i assume The East doesn't get much news from the west and vice a versa.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

New Vegas is referenced directly in Fallout 4. Like straight-up. It isn't anything huge or significant but it is recognized as happening and characters make references to it.

BanhMi
May 11, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

to be fair. new vegas is on the otherside of the super blow to gently caress the american continent. It takes years to travel from one side to the other probably and i assume The East doesn't get much news from the west and vice a versa.

Nuke both of 'em, I say :margeball:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

It is a real bitch to cross America since, for some reason, apparently the middle part got hit hardest or something? I don't loving know where I heard this or if it's accurate.

• Locked thread