Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Well, I finally got an answer to the question: "What bizzare things must happen in a man's life to become Señor Pink?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Yeah, it seems all the bad guys are getting tragic backstories.

Hopefully Diamante doesn't have one and he's just an rear end in a top hat.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Good lord. I watched (skipped through*) this episode because it was one of my absolute favorite chapters, and are they really adapting less than a chapter per episode now? :( That's brutal. Still, such a moving backstory for such a hard boiled man.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Zark the Damned posted:

Yeah, it seems all the bad guys are getting tragic backstories.

Hopefully Diamante doesn't have one and he's just an rear end in a top hat.

I hope Vise's story involves tanuki, and also the KiloKilo girl somehow.

edit:
Tried grabbing this week's episode, but almost grabbed last year's by accident. Apparently Diamante has been going on for exactly a year now. Time flies when you're having fun I guess?

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 5, 2015

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
So Violet can hear through her eyes?

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="452542459"]

Can't you?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Shadow0 posted:

Well, I finally got an answer to the question: "What bizzare things must happen in a man's life to become Señor Pink?"
Oh man, this guy :( I feel like he is in the wrong pirate crew and could probably relate to Corazon.

The animation for Diamante was fantastic. Haha I love him. I hope he beats the crap out toy soldier.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Good lord. I watched (skipped through*) this episode because it was one of my absolute favorite chapters, and are they really adapting less than a chapter per episode now? :( That's brutal. Still, such a moving backstory for such a hard boiled man.
Nice avatar, reminds me of Water7 arc! Yeah it's been like that for a while now. I watch a few eps at a time because otherwise it's terrible pacing.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="452542459"]

It's not as bad at the stuff Robin pulls off.
Now that I think about it, Robin has her power and then some.

Also I now realize, Sanji flipped out about that guy eating his invisible powers fruit, but the clairvoyance fruit and Robin's fruit would have actually been far more beneficial to his intended use.

Some of these fruit aren't so great, haha. If you had a chance to eat a devil's fruit, without knowing what it was, would you go for it? Especially if you didn't know the power and had some occupation which involved a great deal of ocean water (because I think most of us don't really care about losing our ability to swim in the ocean)? What if you knew it was bad, but knew you had a very low chance of getting another? Though I don't think anyone in the series has ever had a fruit that didn't match them.

I'd probably hold out if I got a bad one. I don't see any benefit at all to increasing my weight or making bubbles.
Another question, what do you consider to be some of the least useful fruits in the series?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="452542459"]

Her power is clairvoyance (plus her weird eye blast thing), she's essentially projecting her conciousness to that location. Like scrying in D&D.

As far as useless fruits go, probably Brook's one. Being brought back to life once (albeit in skeleton form) isn't much of a boon.

Regarding eating unknown fruits, it'd really depend on the situation. If I was on my own on an island or something I probably wouldn't bother risking it. If I'm in a big crew with plenty of support in case it turns out to be crappy? Would probably go for it, even the 'bad' fruits are worth it.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Zark the Damned posted:

Her power is clairvoyance (plus her weird eye blast thing), she's essentially projecting her conciousness to that location. Like scrying in D&D.

As far as useless fruits go, probably Brook's one. Being brought back to life once (albeit in skeleton form) isn't much of a boon.

Regarding eating unknown fruits, it'd really depend on the situation. If I was on my own on an island or something I probably wouldn't bother risking it. If I'm in a big crew with plenty of support in case it turns out to be crappy? Would probably go for it, even the 'bad' fruits are worth it.

Brook's fruit is a lot better than people seem to think. He is functionally immortal so long as he doesn't go in the water and can expel his soul from his body at will to spy/look through walls/relay messages, very similar to Violet's clairvoyance but he can also communicate while doing it. It may not be as combat oriented as others but he is drat good at subterfuge and more subtle tasks.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I think a lot of that is due to the fact he screwed up and took a long time returning to his body after his original death, thus becoming undead. I suspect if a regular person had the fruit and revived straight away they wouldn't get those powers.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Zark the Damned posted:

I think a lot of that is due to the fact he screwed up and took a long time returning to his body after his original death, thus becoming undead. I suspect if a regular person had the fruit and revived straight away they wouldn't get those powers.

I can't imagine why they wouldn't considering that's like explicitly what the fruit does ( allows soul-body separation)

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Crazyeyes posted:

I can't imagine why they wouldn't considering that's like explicitly what the fruit does ( allows soul-body separation)

I think he's talking about the functional immortality. If someone slit the regular guy's throat after he revived, he'd probably just die. But since Brook is a skeleton, his throat can't be slit.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I thought all the spirit separation stuff was just because Brook spent a long time as a spirit and learnt to tap back into that during the time-skip, rather than the standard powers of the fruit. It's been shown before that some devil fruit users learn odd powers that past users haven't shown (or users of similar fruits, such as in the case of Chopper's extra Zoan forms and monster mode).

Having thought of that, I think I have a new most useless fruit, at least for me. The Hito Hito no Mi :)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zark the Damned posted:

I thought all the spirit separation stuff was just because Brook spent a long time as a spirit and learnt to tap back into that during the time-skip, rather than the standard powers of the fruit. It's been shown before that some devil fruit users learn odd powers that past users haven't shown (or users of similar fruits, such as in the case of Chopper's extra Zoan forms and monster mode).

Having thought of that, I think I have a new most useless fruit, at least for me. The Hito Hito no Mi :)

I thought Oda said in an SBS that a normal human who ate the Human Human Fruit would become enlightened.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Zark the Damned posted:

Just imagine eating a fruit all jazzed up about getting some cool powers and it's the Hito Hito no Mi.

:shrek: :"I'm a human man!"

:raise: :" Good...for you?"

:shrek: : :suicide:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Silver2195 posted:

I thought Oda said in an SBS that a normal human who ate the Human Human Fruit would become enlightened.

And much later than that, Oda clarified in an SBS that Chopper's fruit is actually Hito Hito no Mi: Model Yeti. Sengoku also has a Hito Hito no Mi: Model Buddha. So there's more than one Hito Hito no Mi and the two we've seen so far both have some very obviously useful effects.

Can't wait for the Hito Hito no Mi: Model Cyborg, to go toe to toe with Franky.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

gnome7 posted:

And much later than that, Oda clarified in an SBS that Chopper's fruit is actually Hito Hito no Mi: Model Yeti. Sengoku also has a Hito Hito no Mi: Model Buddha. So there's more than one Hito Hito no Mi and the two we've seen so far both have some very obviously useful effects.

Sengoku's fruit is awesome and I would love to see more of it.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

I get the impression that was a joke and he meant they wouldn't get any powers, but would otherwise understand more about what it means to be human :)

Is there a source for the Model: Yeti thing? I've had a quick look around but only found fan theories so far.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

gnome7 posted:

Whoa whoa whoa when did this ever happen? Chopper doesn't even have the OG human fruit?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="452646933"]
Whoa whoa whoa when did this ever happen? Chopper doesn't even have the OG human fruit?

It's just a made-up Oda-said-ism. Chopper has the normal Human-Human Fruit: http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Hito_Hito_no_Mi

And it seems Zark the Damned is right about the enlightenment thing being a joke:

SBS Volume 20 posted:

O: I suppose I should say they "BECOME HUMAN". Uh, I guess you could say that means like becoming an adult, or finding your true spirit or something. So basically, people will live more human-like. Well. I guess you could say that. Or not. In other words, not. Yes, that. (ran away)

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="452646933"]

This has never been stated anywhere at all. Chopper has the normal human fruit and Sengoku has the Buddha model of the human fruit which is classified as a mythical Zoan type. The yeti stuff is nonsense he made up.

It'd be interesting to see what type of human fruits Oda can come up with, but Chopper only has the normal type of it unfortunately.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I always took the enlightenment thing to be a hint at Sengoku's power and assumed that eating the hito hito fruit as a human would give you that model. That said, that would mean there were two hito hito fruits.

I wish the Yeti thing were true. Then I'd hate Chopper slightly less.

Slightly.

I forgot Brook had that ability. I suppose that means there are at least 3 fruits that achieve Sanji's 2nd dream.

[edit]That seems like a much much better dream than All-Blue (which makes more sense to be at Reverse Mountain, where all the oceans of the world meet...). Going to Fishman Island also seems like a better dream.[/edit]

Brook seemed to imply that becoming a skeleton is only a result of having not found his body in time, and not an inherent ability of the fruit. So I wonder how it would have been had he not skeletonized. Presumably he can still die, so if you don't allow yourself to skeletonize, would you just get a second life? Like a Mario mushroom. And I wonder if being underwater would just flat out kill him since his ability to live at all is a result of his fruit.

I'm still not sure how he learned he could walk on water before there was anyone to save him in case he failed and also because he's touching sea water. Seems like an incredibly dangerous idea to try. But when you have 50 years to be crazy, you might spend some time believing your Jesus I guess. Incredibly small detail, but it bothered me, haha.

I would not eat his or Chopper's fruit if given the chance.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 12, 2015

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Shadow0 posted:

I always took the enlightenment thing to be a hint at Sengoku's power and assumed that eating the hito hito fruit as a human would give you that model. That said, that would mean there were two hito hito fruits.

I wish the Yeti thing were true. Then I'd hate Chopper slightly less.

Slightly.

I forgot Brook had that ability. I suppose that means there are at least 3 fruits that achieve Sanji's 2nd dream.

[edit]That seems like a much much better dream than All-Blue (which makes more sense to be at Reverse Mountain, where all the oceans of the world meet...). Going to Fishman Island also seems like a better dream.[/edit]

Brook seemed to imply that becoming a skeleton is only a result of having not found his body in time, and not an inherent ability of the fruit. So I wonder how it would have been had he not skeletonized. Presumably he can still die, so if you don't allow yourself to skeletonize, would you just get a second life? Like a Mario mushroom. And I wonder if being underwater would just flat out kill him since his ability to live at all is a result of his fruit.

I'm still not sure how he learned he could walk on water before there was anyone to save him in case he failed and also because he's touching sea water. Seems like an incredibly dangerous idea to try. But when you have 50 years to be crazy, you might spend some time believing your Jesus I guess. Incredibly small detail, but it bothered me, haha.

I would not eat his or Chopper's fruit if given the chance.

Brook's fruit isn't covert, so it wouldn't fulfill Sanji's criteria.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="452654505"]
Brook's fruit isn't covert, so it wouldn't fulfill Sanji's criteria.

It could be easily used covertly. And if you're caught, just say a ghost did it. :iiam:

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Plus Brook's fruit only kicks in once you've died. Possibly you're no longer, um, 'fully functional' after that.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Zark the Damned posted:

Plus Brook's fruit only kicks in once you've died. Possibly you're no longer, um, 'fully functional' after that.

actually you would be. the way that fruit works is when you find your body you are restored. brook didnt find his body till he was already a skeleton though.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

And there is no reason why it couldn't work multiple times. I don't think anyone ever said it was one and done.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Crazyeyes posted:

And there is no reason why it couldn't work multiple times. I don't think anyone ever said it was one and done.

I'm pretty sure Brook did when he said how he became a skeleton. And he can't just be immortal with infinite lives.

Also, realistically, the fruit's power is just a justification for Brook being a skeleton. I don't think Oda put a lot of thought into how it would work under more normal circumstances. It'd really suck to get that fruit, die in a place where you'll instantly die on respawn, and then die again. Like falling into a volcano or underwater.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

I'm pretty sure Brook did when he said how he became a skeleton. And he can't just be immortal with infinite lives.

Also, realistically, the fruit's power is just a justification for Brook being a skeleton. I don't think Oda put a lot of thought into how it would work under more normal circumstances. It'd really suck to get that fruit, die in a place where you'll instantly die on respawn, and then die again. Like falling into a volcano or underwater.

but that is what the fruit does. as long as your body is still intact you can return to it. it is only when you cannot return to your body that the fruit stops working so like a volcano you die repeatedly...as for underwater he'd be able to reclaim his body underwater just not able to move once he got it. his current state he doesn't need to breathe or anything so it doesn't so much stop him as much as it just triggers his natural fruit-born weakness to the sea.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AkumaHokoru posted:

but that is what the fruit does. as long as your body is still intact you can return to it. it is only when you cannot return to your body that the fruit stops working so like a volcano you die repeatedly...as for underwater he'd be able to reclaim his body underwater just not able to move once he got it. his current state he doesn't need to breathe or anything so it doesn't so much stop him as much as it just triggers his natural fruit-born weakness to the sea.

"The Yomi Yomi no Mi is a Paramecia-type Devil Fruit which enhances the user's soul to the point where they can come back to life after dying once, remaining alive until their body is sufficiently damaged, and to use several other soul-based abilities, making the user a Reviving Human (復活人間 Fukkatsu Ningen?)." http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Yomi_Yomi_no_Mi Emphasis my own.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

"The Yomi Yomi no Mi is a Paramecia-type Devil Fruit which enhances the user's soul to the point where they can come back to life after dying once, remaining alive until their body is sufficiently damaged, and to use several other soul-based abilities, making the user a Reviving Human (復活人間 Fukkatsu Ningen?)." http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Yomi_Yomi_no_Mi Emphasis my own.

yeah this doesnt change the fact he got his body back as a skeleton.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AkumaHokoru posted:

I'm just saying that he specifically pointed out that he only gets to resurrect once and only once.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

I'm just saying that he specifically pointed out that he only gets to resurrect once and only once.

I'm not convinced that precludes a third revival. It doesn't matter because he is a skeleton now and effectively immortal because of that, but heart because you can live a second time doesn't mean you can't live a third.

Then again, how would the fruit regenerate at all if the person who ate it could NEVER die...

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Does it have to? Marco's fruit pretty much lets him die constantly or take fatal wounds and just go into phoenix form to regenerate them

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Law's fruit can grant immortality so I don't think there's any "all fruit users made a pact with Satan and must die" thing going on.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

AkumaHokoru posted:

Does it have to? Marco's fruit pretty much lets him die constantly or take fatal wounds and just go into phoenix form to regenerate them

I guess it'd depend on what hit him, but I'd assume anything that killed him immediately couldn't be regenerated.

Law's fruit is an exception too as you have to sacrifice yourself to give someone else immortality.

Although, how does Doffy know about that? Surely if it's a known effect of that fruit it means it's been done before, so where are the immortals?

I guess there's also how you define 'Immortal' - do they mean 'can't be killed' or do they just mean 'can't die of old age'?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Zark the Damned posted:

I guess it'd depend on what hit him, but I'd assume anything that killed him immediately couldn't be regenerated.

Law's fruit is an exception too as you have to sacrifice yourself to give someone else immortality.

Although, how does Doffy know about that? Surely if it's a known effect of that fruit it means it's been done before, so where are the immortals?

I guess there's also how you define 'Immortal' - do they mean 'can't be killed' or do they just mean 'can't die of old age'?

Presumably World Nobles since Dofy used to be one.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AkumaHokoru posted:

I don't understand what you're arguing?

Brook literally says that he gets one revival and becomes a "revived human" in the image I posted above.

Infinite lives doesn't make sense anyway, people keep seeking these "ultimate" fruits and Brook's is never one anyone seems interested in.

I say the point of the fruit is only to justify him being a skeleton and the abilities associated with that (though he has now acquired a few ghost powers too). Imagine if he had returned to his body before becoming a skeleton. He wouldn't have skeleton powers, and even if he had the power to never stay dead, he would make for a boring zombie crew member, and probably would have never joined the crew.

And besides, anything that could now kill him would leave him with nothing to return to anyway.

*However!* I think that Brook is actually effectively able to infinitely resurrect like Crazyeyes says since he appears to be immortal anyway (or at least sustained by a different kind of force).

("tamashii" meaning "soul" or "spirit" - probably in a rock'n'roll kind of way as well)
He's probably more like just a ghost poltergeisting a skeleton. Though, yes, now comes the question of how does the fruit get put back into the world? I would imagine he dies when he finally voluntarily returns to the land of the dead, or runs out of "spirit".

AkumaHokoru posted:

He can't regenerate when kairouseki'd. And he may also be able to die of old age.

Zark the Damned posted:

"永遠生命" - eternal (time) life
"不老" - un + age(ing)
He grants eternal youth, not invulnerability.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

proper explanation

I suppose so the fruit gives him control over his soul moreso the power to live as his expanded abilities are more soul related (not so much ghost) but if he has no body(container) then he will actually die. I was arguing as long as he had the container he COULD return despite him having only done it once he might be able to do it again as long as he didn't lose HIS body.

as for marco kairoseki is cancelling the fruit's ability to save him. i dont think old age would kill him since thats pretty much how a pheonix is reborn anyway? perhaps the fruit goes away when he dies of old age.