Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

Funny I don't see the special edition that all the True Fans are buying listed for this price.

The special edition is worthless. a lovely usb, with 10 tracks of a 4 disk set, an art book they could provide as a free pdf, and a placard I would just throw out.

I am buying the guide tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'm buying the digital because I want it to load fast and I already own flash drives.

good luck with those

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Alrighty, I've got five questions about this game.

1. Are there any babes for my silent protagonist to romance-ish, like in the Tales of Symphonia with Sheena the ninja or what have you?

2. Is there any funny banter, or it is kind of straight-faced?

3. I don't like the gameplay of FF XII, and I found the gameplay of the previous Xenoblade game looked kind of similar. Just kind of slow combat that didn't feel engaging to me. How's the combat here?

4. Is the story enjoyable?

5. Is it a fun world to wander around in?

I haven't rocked a JRPG in quite a while, Tales of Xillia 1 I guess. My favs are the ol Symphonia, Dragon Quest VIII, and FF7 for the record there. I do like the mecha anime-ish look from the trailers on this one here, and I did like Xenogears.

And failing all that, how would you sum up the hook and appeal of this game, making it stand out against the competition? Assuming people have played the import version, seen a lot of it, or whatnot.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 8, 2015

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

I'm buying it to see whether or not the game shits itself after about 3 hours like the first game, or just explodes all over it's trousers right from the get go.

I'm hoping I'm wrong.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Night Blade posted:

I'm buying it to see whether or not the game shits itself after about 3 hours like the first game, or just explodes all over it's trousers right from the get go.

I'm hoping I'm wrong.

IF you didn't like the first game why the gently caress are you buying this when it's pretty much just doubling down on what the first game did?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Night Blade posted:

I'm hoping I'm wrong.

:confused: I could get somebody disliking when Xenoblade gets into "god's an earth scientist that pushed a button that rebooted the universe", but I dunno how it shits itself three hours in. At best you're in Gaur Plains.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'm buying the digital because I want it to load fast and I already own flash drives.

Wait Xenoblade is coming out for a System that's not the Wii-U?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

I am paying 130$ for the Special Edition because Canadian dollars are Monopoly money again.

Our PM paid the ultimate price for it so all is well

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

IF you didn't like the first game why the gently caress are you buying this when it's pretty much just doubling down on what the first game did?

Will there be good banter between my party members, cool music on par with Gaur Plains for exploring and also good exploring

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

TheKingofSprings posted:

cool music on par with Gaur Plains for exploring

No

edit: :yikes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yfqF0o7XWw

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 10, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

No loving sale, you mean

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

stuck on a diffrent plaaaaaaaaanet

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifvuPEOWc6I

gently caress you.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

You seem to misunderstand me friend, I think the Xenoblade Chonricles was literally the best video game soundtrack ever. XCX's OST is a loving abomination that I hope I can turn off when I attempt to play this game.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

katkillad2 posted:

You seem to misunderstand me friend, I think the Xenoblade Chonricles was literally the best video game soundtrack ever. XCX's OST is a loving abomination that I hope I can turn off when I attempt to play this game.

yeah that. gently caress you for that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Black Stones posted:

Why do people keep saying this? it's really not.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The battle system is different and the world is bigger to explore

It's like how all the Tales of Games are different, each one has a different battle system that does not play like the previous game. It really doesn't play like it's predecessor, much like how it's predecessor didn't play like the three Xenosagas.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

katkillad2 posted:

Dude, I like the Xenoblade soundtrack, but it's not even one of the best soundtracks out there.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Inflammatory posted:

yeah that. gently caress you for that.

Oh I get it now, it's the song title "time to fight". I was confused why you were using a song off the best soundtrack to defend my comments about the lovely soundtrack. If you like lovely linkin park I guess someone might think black tar is cool.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Dude, I like the Xenoblade soundtrack, but it's not even one of the best soundtracks out there.

Excuse me, but I'll remind you that Xenoblade Chronicles was The Best JRPG of All Time.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
if you don't love japanese people singing in english then this isn't the game for you. this isn't the world for you.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

I said come in! posted:

Is it not an expanded battle system based on using cooldown attacks with properties based on combos or positioning, along with big, Wider areas to explore?

On the music stuff, yeah i prefer the original's ost, but the new one is pretty cool as well. Would be way better if the main battle theme didn't have lyrics, tho.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

if you don't love japanese people singing in english then this isn't the game for you. this isn't the world for you.

I do, just when it's good

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Yeah? What is?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Louisgod posted:

Yeah? What is?

Grandia II

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
etrian odyssey iv

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Final Fantasy Tactics.

Xenoblade had some great songs to it, but it isn't even in the running for top ten.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The correct and only answer is Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 you loving TROLLS

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I don't know if the entire album is, but I'd put Confrontation With the Enemy, specifically, somewhere in my top 10.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

This is bad. Like, Street Fighter 4 bad.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The Wonderful 101

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

sonic adventure 2: battle

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Louisgod posted:

Yeah? What is?

Even though Final Fantasy 13-2 wasn't that good it had a ton of real catchy tunes.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

The Taint Reaper posted:

Even though Final Fantasy 13-2 wasn't that good it had a ton of real catchy tunes.

Yes it did. I really dig the soundtrack.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Black Stones posted:

I enjoyed XB's story and chars a lot even though it's all p standard JRPG fare and thought that was enough to make the game worth playin. Though, it took me about 3 years to beat it because playing consistently was an absolute chore since the battle system was so boring and uninteresting. I am hoping XBX fixes this since they seem to be making an effort to fix that because I've read the spoilers and the story and characters are definitely not gonna be what pulls me in.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

I said come in! posted:

The videos I did watch pretty much looked like Xenoblade but with some differences. I think it's safe to say that if you did not like Xenoblade you probably all of the sudden will not start loving Xenoblade X. I could be wrong, but I'm going to go with my gut and say chances are high.

Baal posted:

I enjoyed XB's story and chars a lot even though it's all p standard JRPG fare and thought that was enough to make the game worth playin. Though, it took me about 3 years to beat it because playing consistently was an absolute chore since the battle system was so boring and uninteresting. I am hoping XBX fixes this since they seem to be making an effort to fix that because I've read the spoilers and the story and characters are definitely not gonna be what pulls me in.

Ok. You are saying that you enjoyed the game on some level though and you eventually did beat it. You also aren't the person I quoted.

The person I quoted said he quit and did not like the first game at all, that's a pretty big difference.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Look I just wanted to be part of the conversation, alright?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Baal posted:

Look I just wanted to be part of the conversation, alright?

I guess it's better then people trying to bring up the costumes again!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I can't even remember when that track came up in XBC. It's not even close to the level of Gaur Plains or Zanza's theme. Yet it's still miles better than that lyrical monstrosity katkillad2 linked. XBC's OST is going to be drat hard to top but XBCX definitely is a bigger step back than it should've been.

Louisgod posted:

Yeah? What is?

Final Fantasy XIV:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjaa-l7yg30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAp8U5z9cjQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cZHfOs2XOc (3.0 spoiler if you haven't finished the 3.0 MSQ yet despite 3.1 being out)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCEPtkwVmL0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDaLiCrBSNs

...and pretty much all of the primal themes.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I said come in! posted:

Except it actually does? They don't just magically have completely different expectations. If it's well received over there then it will be here is how always works out.

Japan has never liked Metroid. Then Other M happened. And now Metroid is effectively dead.

Granted I mostly blame Sakamoto for that, but I also blame Japan for having horrible taste. :colbert:

• Locked thread