Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Grouchio posted:

Is Fallout 4 dissapointing so far? Should I avoid buying this if I could get MGSV and Witcher 3 on the same day, hypothetically?

I'd say they are VERY different games. Witcher 3 is fantastic, but mainly for the story - it's probably the best written RPG I have played in a long time. It also looks great, but the gameplay is just ok - combat isn't super satisfying, boss battles are frustrating, and the movement can get a little weird, and water combat sucks balls.

MGSV is near-perfect open-world mission based stealth, but the story is dumb even for MGS and about 2/3s of the way through you can almost hear the door hitting Kojima on the rear end on the way out and you start getting shamelessly repeated missions, and the story just kinda ends. It's 2/3s of a perfect game they didn't bother to finish. It's drat pretty though.

Fallout looks to be Fallout 3 But In 2015. Mediocre graphics for the time, janky stuff, badly written main quests, but charming ambience and an engrossing open world to explore and shoot dudes in and a lot of stuff to do and find and explore and oh poo poo why is the sun coming up sort of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Man's Ham
Dec 2, 2002
Restart steam :)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Welp, nice knowing you guys. See you in 200 years.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ready to launch in....40 minutes. :nallears:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Come on Xbox...let me play...

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Lotish posted:

Ready to launch in....40 minutes. :noears:

Yeah... 40 minutes to install a 24 GB game. What?

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

never played any fallout before... bought it on a whim and pre-loaded today.

Ready to see what the hype is about!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Lotish posted:

Ready to launch in....40 minutes. :noears:

Didn't plan for a patch :qq:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
installing 17%

GirlBones
Jun 10, 2007
I am not very good at the internet
goddamit it's already 30 minutes past my bedtime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stupendous Man
Jan 10, 2008
Defender of Freedom! Advocate of Liberty!
Unpack faster! :f5:

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Both Amazon.ca and Bestbuy.ca cancelled my pre-order for the pip boy edition. I ordered with Amazon in June and they told me they didn't have any to send me yesterday. So I re-ordered with bestbuy and they told me they didn't have any to send me today. I am hosed. Fucks sakes.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

GirlBones posted:

goddamit it's already 30 minutes past my bedtime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to loving bed.

Cheap Shot posted:

Both Amazon.ca and Bestbuy.ca cancelled my pre-order for the pip boy edition. I ordered with Amazon in June and they told me they didn't have any to send me yesterday. So I re-ordered with bestbuy and they told me they didn't have any to send me today. I am hosed. Fucks sakes.

You really should just go digital man, a lovely phone case just aint worth it.

pepperburg
Dec 6, 2009

hey goons, can someone provide me the exact name of the fallout 4 folder in your steamapps folder

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Dead Man's Ham posted:

Restart steam :)

Thanks buddy.

Looks like 1 minute of download and 30 minutes of not having an SSD drive in 2015.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
To kill time during the preload, try visiting the Steam forum. Holy hell.

GirlBones
Jun 10, 2007
I am not very good at the internet

Rrussom posted:

Go to loving bed.

No, gently caress you , you poo poo.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

explosivo posted:

Anyone have those PC adjustments that were getting passed around 20 pages or so ago? Turning off Mouse Acceleration and all that?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=551069501&tscn=1447077828

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Sniper rifles + abilities in crit/sneak is loving OP. Especially when the rifle has a silencer.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

NecroMonster posted:

It is a real bitch to cross America since, for some reason, apparently the middle part got hit hardest or something? I don't loving know where I heard this or if it's accurate.

There's basically an enormous loving gash across the center of the United States that runs I think from border to border, and it's also loaded with radiation and deathclaws. The amount of nuclear weapons that hit it also made it so that the airspace over that gash is all sorts of hosed up. So you can cross it, but holy poo poo is it a hilariously bad idea to try to do so.

e: I just checked; the gash exists but it doesn't run the full way. Texas is loaded with ghouls and radiation, though. And Montana has some serious issues with nuclear winter.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 10, 2015

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008
Great. I preloaded a few days ago, and waited like a good little boy for the release. No VPNs, no cheats. Now it's ready to play! ....except all of the loving sudden it wants to loving update for the next 45 minutes. gently caress you Steam, right in your stupid rear end in a top hat (and/or possibly the devs for their loving ridiculous encryption. Either or)

Kaincypher fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 10, 2015

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I tend not to bitch about console releases but I'd love to hear some feedback on ps4 version here.

allsizesfitone
May 7, 2007
People never notice anything.

Grouchio posted:

Is Fallout 4 dissapointing so far? Should I avoid buying this if I could get MGSV and Witcher 3 on the same day, hypothetically?

Haven't played Witcher or Fallout yet, but I was bored of throwing magazines to distract guards so I could yawn loudly and/or reloading missions so I could throw magazines and yawn loudly in MGS. I don't usually regret renting games, bit it wasn't even worth the $8 unless you really like shittily implemented stealth or don't care about mission objectives. It's a lot of riding a horse through empty deserts so you can (not) kill the same three guards in the same three spots while not walking too loudly.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Kaincypher posted:

Great. I preloaded a few days ago, and waited like a good little boy for the release. No VPNs, no cheats. Now it's ready to play! ....except all of the loving sudden it wants to loving update for the next 45 minutes. gently caress you Steam, right in your stupid rear end in a top hat.

Its just unpacking / encrypting all the data files already on disk.

And its bullshit.

loving USE ALL 4 CORES DAMMIT.

I HAVE THEM. YOU HAVE NEAR REAL-TIME PRIORITY. USE THEM. FUUUUCK.

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot
disk write error, anyone else?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Kaincypher posted:

Great. I preloaded a few days ago, and waited like a good little boy for the release. No VPNs, no cheats. Now it's ready to play! ....except all of the loving sudden it wants to loving update for the next 45 minutes. gently caress you Steam, right in your stupid rear end in a top hat.

It's not updating, it's unpacking. That's how all preload steam games work, but I've never seen one take this long.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Odette posted:

Sniper rifles + abilities in crit/sneak is loving OP. Especially when the rifle has a silencer.

The Way of Fallout has always been to one-shot a deathclaw in the eye from off-screen.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Arven posted:

It's not updating, it's unpacking. That's how all preload steam games work, but I've never seen one take this long.

got it. Edited my original post. But seriously, it really pains me when pirates and cheats get rewarded and honest people get dicked over. I guess just like the rest of life, I suppose.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

yeesh the ps4 framerates are pretty bad

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I'm honestly kind of shocked at the amount of variety Bethesda put into this game. The initial raider fight yielded a ton of different clothing items to play Barbie with...and they all had unique, granular stats? And weapon modding isn't a purely linear increase in specs? What the hell is going on?

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

Anyway, I'm sure the events in New Vegas will matter in some way the next time Obsidian touches the series if they ever do.

Obsidian will never get to touch this series again, for as long as this world is spinning. The sooner you embrace that basic truth, the sooner all other, higher truths will reveal themselves to you.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Dongattack posted:

Man, so dissapointing. No fun and varied perks, no increasing of skills, afaik no perk/attribute related dialogue options except your karma level. I don't understand how they can have such a straightforward and loved formula to design the game around and make changes like this. Leveling up feels utterly pointless and my character feels generic as hell.

The atmosphere is at least nice.

The secret is that, in Fallout 4, this isn't your character.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Grapplejack posted:

There's basically an enormous loving gash across the center of the United States that runs I think from border to border, and it's also loaded with radiation and deathclaws. The amount of nuclear weapons that hit it also made it so that the airspace over that gash is all sorts of hosed up. So you can cross it, but holy poo poo is it a hilariously bad idea to try to do so.

e: I just checked; the gash exists but it doesn't run the full way. Texas is loaded with ghouls and radiation, though. And Montana has some serious issues with nuclear winter.

Maybe for the first few years after the war. this is 200 years later.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Ghouls are long lived, and honestly that's basically Texas anyway.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

So I just used the mirror to make a character. I didn't see an option to change hairstyle. Do I get to do that later or did I just miss it.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
I like how all the complaints that people in here have now are the same ones they shouted down whenever "shitposters" and "trolls" would bring them up just a couple days ago.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Kanish posted:

yeesh the ps4 framerates are pretty bad

How bad, some people just throw a fit when its below 60 in general. Is it like 'drat I find myself avoiding certain actions because the frame rate makes this miserable'

or

'wow drat this poo poo is un-optimal because its 30 consistently'

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Manket posted:

Obsidian will never get to touch this series again, for as long as this world is spinning. The sooner you embrace that basic truth, the sooner all other, higher truths will reveal themselves to you.

I have it on good authority that Obsidian is currently in talks with Bethesda regarding a follow-up to Fallout 4, that it will be built on the thinly disguised corpse of Armored Warfare (itself already "treading into RPG territory"), and that it will focus almost entirely on running supplies between BoS bunkers during an Enclave blitzkrieg and managing the happiness of BoS troops based on a green-yellow-red frowny face scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015
look at all these non vpn using plebs

• Locked thread