Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Oh yeah, someone said there's an explicit reference to New Vegas or something? What is it, please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

2house2fly posted:

If you like any of the games in this franchise which consists of six games made by five developers in four genres then you'll like this new one. I mean duh.

Yes, that's correct. It is Fallout.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Deakul posted:

lol at anyone that actually preordered this instead of waiting atleast a year.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
Looks like Diamond City is the only major settlement in the game. Despite having a population of 14 people, there is an ongoing conflict between classes going on. The upper class consists of 4 people. This makes sense. loving lol.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
uhhhhhhhhhh so is steam SUPPOSED to give an estimated time to unpack the game of like 2 hours or is there some way to speed that up

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
I can't connect to my pip boy app at all :( I allowed FO4 through the firewall and everything, but my phone refuses to connect to the game.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Is the New Vegas reference something like a picture of Mr House in the institute? Maybe they rebuilt Liberty Prime but now he says securitron phrases?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I can't enter my name or pick my special points. It just hangs up on the text box. :(

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

lol u poz bro posted:

So this is cool, in-game settings there's no option for full screen or resolution settings, so I exit out and start up the game. Oh cool, I get it, just set the option on the start-up screen. Let's see, uncheck windowed mode...resolution to 1440p...settings to ultra...hit okay...hmmm, that doesn't do it, still starting in a tiny little window mode that takes up a quarter of my screen. So I exit back out and reset the options again, hit ok, then I hit the settings again just to see if the options stick. Nope, resets itself to window mode and lovely resolution.

So I literally am unable to play this game on my native resolution in full screen mode.

When you click windowed, it resets whatever resolution you selected if you did so before clicking windowed mode. You have click the windowed mode first, THEN set your resolution.

Empress Theonora posted:

uhhhhhhhhhh so is steam SUPPOSED to give an estimated time to unpack the game of like 2 hours or is there some way to speed that up

It is mainly limited by your hard drive speed, and unpack time tends to be all over the place.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Maybe the New Vegas reference is you meet a crazy guy dressed like a Roman who says he came here from Caesar's Palace, and the main character says "Man, I had a great time in Las Vegas before the war. I wonder if it's still around... war never changes, heh."

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Haha. I did the fixes that someone posted from Steam Forums and now my character runs at super speed and I can't pick locks because they are super speed also. What did I do?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

A) INTERACT
Sunset Sarsaparilla

"Hmm, it's a bit sweet for my tastes. Nothing like a crisp, refreshing Nuka Cola Quantum. Mmm. Welcome home."

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
You set iPresentInterval to 0 which in turns allows the game to run more than 60 frames per second. Unfortunately Bethesda is not a good developer so the game logic is tied to the framerate, which breaks the game in some tragic-comical ways. Set it back to 1 or maybe try limiting the framerate with external programs like MSI Afterburner.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

cheesetriangles posted:

I've played 16 hours according to steam. The base building UI makes me want to throw my monitor out the window. The hosed up placement of items and everything about that is bad but not unusuable. Everything involved with the settlers themselves is loving insane.

So once you start getting more than 1 settlement and a bunch of settlers you need to start manually assigning people to jobs. Like farming or gathering scrap. The problem is past those first 4-5 people in the tutorial building section everyone has generic name "settler." with no other naming. No numbers no letters no nothing. Also theres no list of everyone in a settlement. Theres no list of how many people are working on a job or what jobs total. When you start running supply lines between settlements you are never gonna undo them because the people are randomly out somewhere in the waste and you need to find them and give them new orders to do something else. I needed to redo some of my caravan supply lines after I understood the mechancis more it became impossible because they were never in town for me to reassign. I have 16 people in a settlement and 14 in another and it's Schrodinger god drat labor pool because I have no clue how many of them actually have jobs.

How the gently caress did this make it out of testing.

If fallout 4 wasn't a buggy mess with unintuitive menus or wasn't running gamebryo, it just wouldn't feel like a bethesda game

if i'm going to be bothered to spend 12 hours installing mods for their games, It's going to be because I felt I was forced to for it to be playable

:gary: :gizz: LEFT CLICK TO SPIN OBJECT FOR PLACEMENT, ARROW KEYS FOR MENU SELECTIONS :tutbutt::yarg:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The game was absolutely made for console but still having fun on PC. It's hard to follow the plot but it's fun to make my own little militia. I had issues with one of the earlier quests since the power plant is an absolute maze, but I guess that's life.

I like Fallout 4 :kiddo:

E. It is weird that they did lockpocking in hard skill tiers like FO3 but then turned around and did RNG persuasion checks.

Speaking of that, how the hell do I up persuasion without just dumping more points into charisma?

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 10, 2015

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a skill that allows you to share the workshop items across mod tables?

Also I have a shitton of steel now, but barely any adhesive, and I'm getting rid of anything that's not tied down just to break it down. I wanna upgrade my power armor, I hate being half rusty :(

They are all shared inside the same settlement. Across different settlements you need the level 6 charisma perk local leader and to manually setup supply lines. If you want to use the crafting tools in diamond city: you're hosed.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Lothire posted:

..I'll be streaming once everything is loaded up (maybe an hour or two from now?), and here is a snap shot of my rig specs as taken in the nvidia experience thing. Might help others figure out how it will run on their own machines maybe..

This is, uh.. Gonna take A Lot Longer than I thought to install. Like by another 2 or 3 hours from now, if this is actually accurate. Ugh.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Man, I'm actually kind of regretting going melee focused. Each gun has dozens of mods spread out over multiple categories and the only thing I've seen from my melee smithing so far is one category that contains "I don't know, let's stick a knife on the end of the weapon and call it a day, gently caress you."

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005
Ok you win, the chat wheel is garbage.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Sauer posted:

Yes, that's correct. It is Fallout.

I liked Fallout 2 but disliked Fallout 1.

I'm not sure I actually exist.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

Lothire posted:

"Can my PC do the dirty deed" gets thrown around a lot. I'm picking up the game in an hour or so, old school brick and mortar. Gotta build the store first, hire Fred Flintstone-type employees and poo poo, gonna be a bit.

I'll be streaming once everything is loaded up (maybe an hour or two from now?), and here is a snap shot of my rig specs as taken in the nvidia experience thing (which didn't even work to update my drivers, had to do it manually. Go figure). Maybe watching for a bit can help some of you get an idea of how things will perform on your own rigs. In all honesty, I have zero idea how well it will work out on my machine. Suppose we'll find out before long.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...-tweaking-guide

ps: never rely on geforce experience to do anything except look pretty

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

Vengarr posted:

I liked Fallout 2 but disliked Fallout 1.

I'm not sure I actually exist.

Played both but honestly, that was a long time ago and I can't distinguish the two.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Proptip if you try to heal with stimpacks all the time you will be out stimpacks real loving quick. On the other hand having even one settlement with some wells in it will produce a gently caress ton of purified water which heals basically the same as a default stimpack. The stimpack heals crippled limbs like a doctors bag though so I would use the water for healing and the stimpack for limbs.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Volkerball posted:

i had that yesterday but it worked today. preloaded and ready to go. my body is ready.

I ended up going to the mom and pop game store next to my apartment and just got a disc copy. Bless the Best Coast

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well it's a start I guess, but I still don't feel like this fucker looks horrifying enough.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Gridlocked posted:

I'm running it on 1920x1080 with an i7 3.50 GHz, 16 gig of RAM and an ATI R9 280 but sadly no SSD. Game defaulted to Ultra and I turned AA off, dropped some shadow stuff down to High and it runs between 60 and 20 fps. The 20 is outside, with plants and crap around; and it's honestly pissing me off. Witcher 3 ran better then this.

Anyone got tips on tweaking?

Yeah get an Nvidia card it's 2015 grandpa. ;)

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Anyone know why all the character models in my game have this dumb looking outline, is this game about how I was in a VR simulation the whole time?

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

Geektox posted:

Anyone know why all the character models in my game have this dumb looking outline, is this game about how I was in a VR simulation the whole time?

Because the devs are bad and bug testing was pretty much non-existent? That or a hosed up AA setting. Most likely both.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Okay, now THIS is more like it! His nose looks like some hosed up burnt gas station hot dog that's been on the rollers for entirely too long.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Geektox posted:

Someone had the same problem earlier in the thread. He said it had something to do with the godrays setting. Try messing around with that.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Someone had the same problem earlier in the thread. He said it had something to do with the godrays setting. Try messing around with that.

Thanks, have restarted the game a dozen times changing each setting to locate the problem, I'm sure my steam friends love me right now.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Because the devs are bad and bug testing was pretty much non-existent? That or a hosed up AA setting. Most likely both.

indeed, i am sure this game had no bug testing

that is a reasonable, sane assumption

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I'm picking up a serious Deus Ex: Human Revolution vibe off this game as far as graphics and animation goes.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

slev posted:

Is there no way to scrap all this poo poo I'm picking up without dropping it first? If not I can't wait for that mod.

Each settlement has a set of crafting benches, these benches all share the same inventory, just walk up to one, Press "R" an hit "T" to put all junk in the workshop. No reason at all to break the junk down. Once you have more than one settlement you can set up supply lines between them so that you you can build in each connected settlement with the combined total resources.

ThreeFingerHoek
Feb 6, 2009

i attribute the quarrelsome nature of the middle ages young men entirely to the want of the soothing weed

2house2fly posted:

Oh yeah, someone said there's an explicit reference to New Vegas or something? What is it, please?

there's a pretty explicit reference to fo3 in that the BoS makes you activate Liberty Prime and walk behind him along a scripted path to the institute while he kills every enemy with eye lasers and spouts familiar one-liners about communists

ask yourself one question: am i kidding or not?

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

Legs Benedict posted:

indeed, i am sure this game had no bug testing

that is a reasonable, sane assumption

After playing the game its not as insane a possibility as it might sound. Have you read the last 5 pages of the thread or are you just ignoring all of that to keep your hype levels up?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

LumberingTroll posted:

Once you have more than one settlement you can set up supply lines between them so that you you can build in each connected settlement with the combined total resources.

HOW DO I DO THIS. I have the perk and everything but don't know how exactly to do it

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Can someone explain to me what The Gunplay feels like in FO4, because the short video I watched the guy had a laser rifle that looked, sounded, and behaved exactly like it did in FO3. But then he used a Laser Musket, and that looked different.

It seems like The Gunplay is being listed as a positive aspect of the game and I'm wondering what all that entails.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Geektox posted:

I couldn't turn off Godrays at first and setting it to anything except off didn't fix my problem. Every time I changed to setting to Off and clicked OK it reset itself back to low. I had to click the Low preset which defaults Godrays to off, and that worked. Just in case anyone has the same issue. Even the options menu has bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

frajaq posted:

HOW DO I DO THIS. I have the perk and everything but don't know how exactly to do it

Find a settler, be in build mode, hit Q on them, select their route. The entire ui is bad.

• Locked thread