Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DuoGodOfDeath
Feb 20, 2007
Or a $30 round train ticket if memory serves correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Maybe it's just because I'm used to lovely Marine bases but Sasebo is pretty kick rear end. More than a handful of decent places to eat and drink, beautiful countryside all around you, and a mass transit system that can take me to either Fukuoka or Nagasaki cheaply and easily.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Maybe it's just because I'm used to lovely Marine bases but Sasebo is pretty kick rear end. More than a handful of decent places to eat and drink, beautiful countryside all around you, and a mass transit system that can take me to either Fukuoka or Nagasaki cheaply and easily.

I'm not sure the Seabee battalion bases are much better, so I will likely have my mind blown. Do most bases have restaurants or something?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

maffew buildings posted:

I'm not sure the Seabee battalion bases are much better, so I will likely have my mind blown. Do most bases have restaurants or something?

Yeah there are like 4 or 5 sit down restaurants on Sasebo. A Chilis, some Harley Club thing, a steakhouse, a sports bar, and the Harbor View Club. Then there is a stand alone McDonalds and the food court with Popeyes, Baskin Robins/Duncan Donuts, a lovely pizza place, Subway, and Taco Bell. The main base is only slightly bigger than a city block too so everything is within walking distance.

DuoGodOfDeath
Feb 20, 2007

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Yeah there are like 4 or 5 sit down restaurants on Sasebo. A Chilis, some Harley Club thing, a steakhouse, a sports bar, and the Harbor View Club. Then there is a stand alone McDonalds and the food court with Popeyes, Baskin Robins/Duncan Donuts, a lovely pizza place, Subway, and Taco Bell. The main base is only slightly bigger than a city block too so everything is within walking distance.

Subway, Anthony's Pizza, Taco Bell, Baskin and Robbins. Or you can just go out in town and get some Ra Ra Ramens or Mama-San's.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DuoGodOfDeath posted:

Subway, Anthony's Pizza, Taco Bell, Baskin and Robbins. Or you can just go out in town and get some Ra Ra Ramens or Mama-San's.

If you're in Sasebo and you don't go to that steak place where the old man cooks you a five course dinner while his wife runs to grab fresh ingredients you need to reexamine your life.

The place sits like 11 people tops, but it's great, the food is amazing, and the couple are incredibly sweet.

Also, go to Nagasaki to visit the Peace Park and stand at ground zero. It's really powerful. Also the lantern festival is really cool.

Boon fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 8, 2015

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Boon posted:

If you're in Sasebo and you don't go to that steak place where the old man cooks you a five course dinner while his wife runs to grab fresh ingredients you need to reexamine your life.

The place sits like 11 people tops, but it's great, the food is amazing, and the couple are incredibly sweet.

Also, go to Nagasaki to visit the Peace Park and stand at ground zero. It's really powerful. Also the lantern festival is really cool.

Yeah I was stationed in Japan back in 2005 and made it to Peace Park in Hiroshima a couple of times. I haven't been to Nagasaki yet but my wife and son went while I was on summer patrol. I will check it out this spring probably.

Which lantern festival? We did one where they filled the canal with lanterns and we wrote the names of dead people we cared about on them before sending the lanterns downstream.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 8, 2015

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Which lantern festival? We did one where they filled the canal with lanterns and we wrote the names of dead people we cared about on them before sending the lanterns downstream.

He's talking about the Nagasaki Lantern Festival. The one in Sasebo is a Shinto holiday of some sort that I forget the name of.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Yeah, if you're past your "I want to go out and get shithoused on overpriced drinks while listening to lovely music in the hope of getting my dick wet," phase Sasebo is pretty great. I can understand why younger guys hate it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Boon posted:

Other recommendations (assuming they're still open, I think they are) are the RaRaRamen joint located at the end of the Ginza. They're the best noodles in downtown Sasebo and pretty cheap. I could get a large bowl of chasshuu ramen with a side of rice and some gyouza for less than 500yen. My apartment was a couple blocks down from the Ginza, and I must have eaten there at least twice a week when we were in port.

Also Tonchinkan. Great kuwayaki/yakitori, giant premium beers, reasonably priced, and great service. And if you need a place to chill, hit up Jazz Spot Easel. It is small as hell, but when I say "chill", I mean loving chill. The owners are a hoot to talk with, too. (Also at the end of the Ginza near RaRaRamen.)

There was also a building called Lion Tower next to the middle of the Ginza on the opposite side from Sailor Town that had a pretty baller Suntory Bar on the ground floor with a 1920s motif. Could fit 50 or 60 people. Large leather couch spanning the entire back wall; dart boards; and a selection of cigars including Cubans which was nice at the time. And all the bartenders were dressed in jacketless suits with vests and bow ties. :v: And they always had some low beat music on. Last I heard, it was taken down a year or two after I left, though.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Still waiting to hear back about this CTN conversion poo poo. "hurr durr there are no billets" as another friend of mine tells me he got orders to JCAC.

It's a little frightening seeing how the Navy handles manning in these situations. They've sent three people with article 15s for being unredeemable idiots with practically no technical qualifications to JCAC but two other instructors and I can't even get the career counselor to remember our ranks. It makes me wonder if Red China is gaming the system so that only the shittiest operators are in charge of defending our networks because at this point all bets are off.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Boon posted:

Lemon Steak. Not to be confused with Lemon Party.

I'm off to Sasvegas next week for some Tongchikan and Lemon Steak. Also to work on Gomitown.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Analogical posted:

Still waiting to hear back about this CTN conversion poo poo. "hurr durr there are no billets" as another friend of mine tells me he got orders to JCAC.

It's a little frightening seeing how the Navy handles manning in these situations. They've sent three people with article 15s for being unredeemable idiots with practically no technical qualifications to JCAC but two other instructors and I can't even get the career counselor to remember our ranks. It makes me wonder if Red China is gaming the system so that only the shittiest operators are in charge of defending our networks because at this point all bets are off.

what did you do to make your detailer / CC / command hate you so much?

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Kawasaki Nun posted:

what did you do to make your detailer / CC / command hate you so much?

I just never get facetime with the command because I'm detailed to another group and spend all my time working/TDY for not-the-Navy. That's my primary suspect because the article 15 boys were in hold div so long they saw the CCs every day as they cleaned their floors.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Analogical posted:

I just never get facetime with the command because I'm detailed to another group and spend all my time working/TDY for not-the-Navy. That's my primary suspect because the article 15 boys were in hold div so long they saw the CCs every day as they cleaned their floors.

They're secretly telling you that you need to get out and be a contractor.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
working for not-the-navy owns. Navy dedicates so much time to being non operational, it's such a waste

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Sir Lucius posted:

working for not-the-navy owns. Navy dedicates so much time to being non operational, it's such a waste

I just got trained on how to be a pee pee program coordinator today.

The amount of paperwork generated just for 11 people to put their pee into pee cups and into pee boxes to go to the pee lab was phenomenal to see. I think the pee racket has to be pretty good.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Laranzu posted:

The amount of paperwork generated just for 11 people to put their pee into pee cups and into pee boxes to go to the pee lab was phenomenal to see. I think the pee racket has to be pretty good.

Pays better if you're a pee analyst.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Laranzu posted:

And it sucks to be your assistant.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sir Lucius posted:

I have thoroughly enjoyed working at (not for) the Navy. Contracting owns.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Godholio posted:

I have thoroughly enjoyed working at (not for) the Navy. Contracting owns.

I hear the benefits are not good on the contracting side.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Depends on your company, just like everywhere in the civilian world. Mine are pretty good; not quite as amazing as the state gov't job I had previously ($110 a month to insure myself and a kid!), but better than most non-gov't jobs. And the pay is about 3x what I was making with the state.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Godholio posted:

Depends on your company, just like everywhere in the civilian world. Mine are pretty good; not quite as amazing as the state gov't job I had previously ($110 a month to insure myself and a kid!), but better than most non-gov't jobs. And the pay is about 3x what I was making with the state.

Talking to some people on the outside it seems like contracting jobs are paying less than they were previously and a lot of people are going government. I suppose it depends on what you do though.

Just found out our holiday party is going to be at the loving bowling alley this year. :lol:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They are paying less, but everything's getting cut back to include government jobs. When people leave GS their responsibilities are just being rolled onto other folks already working there and not being filled or even listed. Obviously that's not across the board, but it's happening a lot.

But I still make comparable to what I made as an O-3 and I work a lot LOT less.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Godholio posted:

They are paying less, but everything's getting cut back to include government jobs. When people leave GS their responsibilities are just being rolled onto other folks already working there and not being filled or even listed. Obviously that's not across the board, but it's happening a lot.

But I still make comparable to what I made as an O-3 and I work a lot LOT less.

Working less is always good.

So that phone interview I had has led to an onsite interview, they're going to fly me up (lol I live a few hours drive away) to the shipyards for an actual interview. Totally looking forward to living in the middle of loving nowhere Wisconsin.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I made it to Norfuck, signed in, got a room in the barracks and get to sit on my rear end for a month.

Take that non-responding sponsor. :smug:

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

Yeah, if you're past your "I want to go out and get shithoused on overpriced drinks while listening to lovely music in the hope of getting my dick wet," phase Sasebo is pretty great. I can understand why younger guys hate it.

The only men who are every truly past this phase are the ones who knock up some broad/marry her/allow her to poo poo out a kid.

Analogical posted:

Do you want the school, or the knowledge? If it's the latter, hit me up on Lync next week.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
working for the navy on the civil service side also owns as long as you don't work for a shipyard. in that case it can still own if you land the right job but that's just not likely until someone dies or retires.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

How bad is C school in Norfolk? I just was told to pick some dates for System Admin school. Most of the dates start in Aug-Sept. I imagine it's going to be cold.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

How bad is C school in Norfolk? I just was told to pick some dates for System Admin school. Most of the dates start in Aug-Sept. I imagine it's going to be cold.

August-September is not cold, it's actually right in the good weather times. People are still poo poo though, but they're poo poo all 4 seasons of the year.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LingcodKilla posted:

You have options elsewhere? No one likes Norfolk. I do hear from my retiree father that Virginia Beach is the place to learn how to hang 10 in the summer so who knows.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Nov 12, 2015

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Well...6 dates to chose from with exactly one being in San Diego. Pick three.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Well...6 dates to chose from with exactly one being in San Diego. Pick three.

San Diego
San Diego
San Diego

Norfolk loving sucks poo poo.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Anita Dickinme posted:

San Diego
San Diego
San Diego

Norfolk loving sucks poo poo.

Norfolk does suck but, where is the class at? Being at say Dam Neck or Little Creek is a little better than being on NOB.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
When setting up a PCS, how often do I need to call and bug the poo poo out of the TSP for my move? The pick-up date is the 19th, so I just want to make sure it's all set up by time I fly out of MD on the 16th back to San Diego. Are they pretty quick on it, or is it regular to be a last minute approval?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

Norfolk does suck but, where is the class at? Being at say Dam Neck or Little Creek is a little better than being on NOB.

Hrm. It's a system admin class for IT. I'll have to take a second look because all I got shown was Hampton Roads.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

squarerandom posted:

When setting up a PCS, how often do I need to call and bug the poo poo out of the TSP for my move? The pick-up date is the 19th, so I just want to make sure it's all set up by time I fly out of MD on the 16th back to San Diego. Are they pretty quick on it, or is it regular to be a last minute approval?

This is a question that's better directed to people at your command / the support personnel at your base. I personally had one very good experience PCSing and one very bad experience PCSing.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Hrm. It's a system admin class for IT. I'll have to take a second look because all I got shown was Hampton Roads.

90% sure that would be at Dam Neck, which is about 30 minutes from NOB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
gently caress norfolk forever

• Locked thread