Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Geight posted:

Can someone explain to me what The Gunplay feels like in FO4, because the short video I watched the guy had a laser rifle that looked, sounded, and behaved exactly like it did in FO3. But then he used a Laser Musket, and that looked different.

It seems like The Gunplay is being listed as a positive aspect of the game and I'm wondering what all that entails.

Much like Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, The Gunplay is still the worst The Gunplay in any FPS game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Just finished setting up the first settlement and I really liked the how they designed the whole thing.

They talk about how it's a safe and defensible place, and you can instantly see it is - it's bordered by hills and a river. The first thing you do is set up shelters and dig a well, then start planting food and placing some guard posts and barriers. Everything makes perfect sense, except the psychic lady, but I'm going to overdose her on stims as soon as I can , so it isn't even a problem.

So as far as the main plot is progressing, I'm happy with what I've seen and the world seems to make sense. As far as gameplay though, yeah, it's probably the buggiest major release I've seen in years.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I'm on PC. The game runs fantastic for me, smooth 60 fps. At least when it doesn't crash to desktop. Im getting ctd every ten minutes or so and its getting old. Any ideas on causes yet?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

gypsyshred posted:

I'm on PC. The game runs fantastic for me, smooth 60 fps. At least when it doesn't crash to desktop. Im getting ctd every ten minutes or so and its getting old. Any ideas on causes yet?

Try opting into the beta patch.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Here's my get rich quick scheme without using the command console: build a ton of water pumps.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is green light on or off on the recruitment beacons. Because the switch is down when the green light is on, which normally means off.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Whoa look, the fad game mechanic that was popularized by Minecraft turns out to be poorly implemented? Color me surprised! But yeah gonna hold off on settlement building until Betheda realizes they done goofed and patch it (not happening) or Creation Kit comes out.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
MFW I'm thinking about getting to play this game tonight after work

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Much like Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, The Gunplay is still the worst The Gunplay in any FPS game.

That was my impression from watching gameplay. Since nobody else has an opinion on The Gunplay I'll assume that's accurate!

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
I agree with with him. Its really bad.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

cheesetriangles posted:

Here's my get rich quick scheme without using the command console: build a ton of water pumps.

have you found out anything about how trade routes from settlement to settlement will be able to be used for profit? i feel like there's bound to be a way to get a shitload of steady income from that mechanic.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Doors.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I can't figure out what makes the game feel so sluggish in interiors. I'm only on a 750ti, but out exploring the world is like 30-45fps, and then I go into some tiny little pharmacy and it feels like it's dropped to 20. The Corvega factory has been the the worst for it so far, playing through that was a complete chore with input lag and choppiness. Has anyone else been experiencing this, and found a way to fix it?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Bardeh posted:

I can't figure out what makes the game feel so sluggish in interiors. I'm only on a 750ti, but out exploring the world is like 30-45fps, and then I go into some tiny little pharmacy and it feels like it's dropped to 20. The Corvega factory has been the the worst for it so far, playing through that was a complete chore with input lag and choppiness. Has anyone else been experiencing this, and found a way to fix it?

Where the gently caress is the boss for the Corvega factory? I can't find the bastard.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

The gunplay is worst than other FPS but it's not as bad as FO3/NV. It feels meatier, at least.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Bardeh posted:

I can't figure out what makes the game feel so sluggish in interiors.

It starts with a G and ends with amebryo

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Odette posted:

Where the gently caress is the boss for the Corvega factory? I can't find the bastard.

Find the concrete stairs, go down until you find an area that seems like a museum area, and then you'll start heading in the right direction. I had the same problem for a bit

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
if you guys were wondering, here's where a good portion of the budget went:

http://orcz.com/Fallout_4:_Recorded_Names_List

i'm renaming my character "Assface"

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

If nothing else this is a REALLY fun map to explore. Bethesda may be bad at regular storytelling, but their environmental storytelling is still drat good. Way more fun to roam an actual destroyed cityscape than the endless deserts of New Vegas. Feels like there's a secret around every corner, and with the existence of bobbleheads and perk magazines, you can find actual useful stuff shockingly often.

Can someone explain to me how the whole caravan thing works? I put the perk point in but I have no idea how to make it go.

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015

Odette posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that literally spent 3 hours wandering around those loving stairwells that all looked the same, mashing melee every 5 seconds to get the guy to say something so I could try and use my ears

So, are there any obvious settings I can crank up to make the game look even better? Currently coasting along at maxed 1440p w/ this fury oc

conversation piece fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 10, 2015

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

gypsyshred posted:

I'm on PC. The game runs fantastic for me, smooth 60 fps. At least when it doesn't crash to desktop. Im getting ctd every ten minutes or so and its getting old.

I also get ctds with regular intervals. So regularly that I decided to check with a stopwatch every time I've restarted after crashing. Every single crash has happened after 15 mins, +/- 10 seconds. Amazing that it is somehow possible to develop a game with non-random ctds.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

just go up until you can't go up no more, or look for an elevator. I got lost too but when I found the way to go I really don't know how.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
My character is absolutely smashing

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
The steam beta helped, game runs fine now. Thanks.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Volkerball posted:

have you found out anything about how trade routes from settlement to settlement will be able to be used for profit? i feel like there's bound to be a way to get a shitload of steady income from that mechanic.

Trade routes from settlement to settlement don't make profit. They just let you use the materials at one to build stuff at another settlement that is connected. So if I keep all my steel and wood etc... in one central location and setup routes between them it will make construction easier but doesn't make you any money. Your settlers will harvest food automatically and deposit it into the toolbox and then you can sell it. Also you setup merchant stalls that you can't trade with but just generate passive caps. They generate a tiny amount of money like 10-20 caps per day for a level 2 stall in a 16 person settlement. A level 2 stall of weapons is like 1000 caps to build. Total waste of money. The third type of water pump produces 40 water per day (you don't get the whole thing however I think just the excess of what people drink) and water is selling for me 8 caps each with level 1 of that barter perk. Purified water is also incredibly useful as a healing item. My main base is pumping about 60 water to sell per day. Compared to those merchant stalls which are making 20 caps per day.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Are you... Quite sure you can't trade with them? I looked up some stuff online and apparently there's some unique armor you can only get from level 4 workshop traders, so I'd assume you COULD trade with them.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

lewtt posted:

if you guys were wondering, here's where a good portion of the budget went:

http://orcz.com/Fallout_4:_Recorded_Names_List

i'm renaming my character "Assface"

How does Jangjoon make the cut, while Rachel and Jamie do not?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ThreeFingerHoek posted:

there's a pretty explicit reference to fo3 in that the BoS makes you activate Liberty Prime and walk behind him along a scripted path to the institute while he kills every enemy with eye lasers and spouts familiar one-liners about communists

ask yourself one question: am i kidding or not?

liberty prime is the only good thing about fo3 and if the game is like $5 then its worth it just for that

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I'm playing with a Q9400, R6870 and 4GB of RAM and I really need to upgrade if I don't want to walk around the outdoors with 15 FPS. RIP 8-year old PC :(

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Nichael posted:

How does Jangjoon make the cut, while Rachel and Jamie do not?

My one buddy Jangjoon says why wouldn't it make the cut, but my other friend Jangjoon is all "gently caress Rachel!". I'll have to ask my coworkers other friend Jangjoon what he thinks.

They make good arguments.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
So I dislike PC gaming despite owning a decent PC, but I decided to get Fallout 4 for it as I assumed the console versions would be bad in comparison. I'm having a major problem with the graphics - the game is locked at 60 fps at high settings, but when I pan the camera (and especially when i circle strafe at slow camera speeds) the game judders like gently caress, as if the whole screen is vibrating side to side. It's smooth as silk otherwise. This happens with both mouse and gamepad, although the issue is more severe with a mouse.

My system is an i5-4670k, GTX 970 (with 4gb of VRAM I think), 8gb ram. If anyone knows anything I can do to fix this it would be much appreciated - I had a similar problem with the Witcher 3 and it pissed me off so much I just got the ps4 version.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just made it out of the Vault and it looks like that spoiler pic I accidentally caught is accurate. Is there more to the main plot than looking for your kid? Cause I am pretty sure I know where he is now.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

My one buddy Jangjoon says why wouldn't it make the cut, but my other friend Jangjoon is all "gently caress Rachel!". I'll have to ask my coworkers other friend Jangjoon what he thinks.

They make good arguments.

I guess you work at Bethesda.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Unlucky7 posted:

Just made it out of the Vault and it looks like that spoiler pic I accidentally caught is accurate. Is there more to the main plot than looking for your kid? Cause I am pretty sure I know where he is now.

lol @ playing a bethesda game for the plot

i can tell there are a lot of first timers itt

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
holy moly this thread is full of bitching

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
So, one of my companions decided to put on my power armor while I had it stowed at the gas station, and now she's refusing to take it off. I traded away all the pieces from her, but she's still wearing the frame, and I can't figure out how to make her take it off. Ugh.

edit: I had just finished Fort Hagen and returned the armor to the gas station, Nick Valentine and I went to Diamond City and then back to the gas station, and this bullshit started.

Tuxedo Jack fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Nov 10, 2015

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Experienced my first game breaking bug 17 minutes into the game I can't escape my house. GOnna be a fun ride. :(

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

JosefStalinator posted:

My character is absolutely smashing

Good job on the quirky meme gentlesir

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

poo poo, I totally forgot about my third friend Jangjoon! I always wondered what he got up to.

Maybe one day I can have a friend named Rachel, but who names their kid Rachel when the name Jangjoon is everygreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Good job on the quirky meme gentlesir

Uploading this I saw I was not the first to do this, but the nose sculpting was the only really good part of the face sculpting process :(.

• Locked thread