Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
which gif of takane shijou eating is your favorite
This poll is closed.
1st 13 9.15%
2nd 52 36.62%
3rd 22 15.49%
4th 11 7.75%
5th 12 8.45%
6th 32 22.54%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Deconstruction has literally lost all meaning.

I guess you can say that TV Tropes deconstructed the word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

madoka magica is actually dark instead of 'let's just throw really graphic violence and rape in there instead of trying to establish a mood or tone'

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Budget Prefuse posted:

A recurring element throughout his works are graphic depictions of violence and sex involving children
That one teacher in Bokurano is probably my most hated character in any manga.

Of course he faces virtually no repercussions for his actions whatsoever.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Endorph posted:

maria's va is mio

Also Shino in SYD

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hey let's talk about things that aren't poo poo instead.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

That one teacher in Bokurano is probably my most hated character in any manga.

Of course he faces virtually no repercussions for his actions whatsoever.

It's symbolic and deep cause bad people aren't always punished. A hard blow of TRUTH right into your face.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

chumbler posted:

i read 31 chapters of vagabond in a museum yesterday and that was really good and i can't wait to read more

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

chumbler posted:

How far did the Durarara!! anime go into? Does it start over from the beginning or where the series left off? Cause I remember the first animation changing the chronological sequence of the books and not bringing in everyone.

Also is DRRR on a second season with the light novels? Did we really have to get new characters? I stopped at like volume 10 or 11 so I'm fairly lost and I dunno if I want to go back in.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

when it revealed the mc's name i went like ohhhh shiiiiit

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

It's symbolic and deep cause bad people aren't always punished. A hard blow of TRUTH right into your face.
i like this theme in works a lot actually but not when it's completely unearned and repulsive like the teacher in bokurano

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

sometimes good weather follows bad people

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Endorph posted:

maria's va is mio

Yeah, Mio's VA has been in lots of things which I didn't realize, though not too unexpected since she was a big hit as Mio. Madoka's VA going on to voice Hibiki amuses me.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05p646nlYS0

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im starting to feel like i jumped into the wrong train but im just gonna see where this takes me

also what did the teach do

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
There's a balance you have to strike between being dark because that's the type of story you want to tell and going to far and ending up being grim for the sake of being grim. I haven't watched Bokurano because I don't like everything-sucks-all-the-time stories of that type but I always assumed it got the balance right since it seems well-regarded enough.

A while ago people seemed to get obsessed with the word and things got to a point where if you had any dark elements in your work at all people would mindlessly scream that it was edgy, like accusing something of being immature made you somehow more mature. Seems to have calmed down though, thank god.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

How far did the Durarara!! anime go into? Does it start over from the beginning or where the series left off? Cause I remember the first animation changing the chronological sequence of the books and not bringing in everyone.

Also is DRRR on a second season with the light novels? Did we really have to get new characters? I stopped at like volume 10 or 11 so I'm fairly lost and I dunno if I want to go back in.

Durarara season 2 is actually 3 new seasons with the final one starting in January that cover the rest of the novels. It continues on from where the first season left off and it is good, so you should watch it.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Davincie posted:

i read 31 chapters of vagabond in a museum yesterday and that was really good and i can't wait to read more

Vagabond is great and I wished chapters would come out more. Also gets cool big volume releases that are all worth picking up.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Reds posted:

There's a balance you have to strike between being dark because that's the type of story you want to tell and going to far and ending up being grim for the sake of being grim.

A while ago people seemed to get obsessed with the word and things got to a point where if you had any dark elements in your work at all people would mindlessly scream that it was edgy, like accusing something of being immature made you somehow more mature. Seems to have calmed down though, thank god.

That's a very edgy post Reds.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Durarara season 2 is actually 3 new seasons with the final one starting in January that cover the rest of the novels. It continues on from where the first season left off and it is good, so you should watch it.

So it covers up to Volume 13? Which I assume is the last of the first season of DRRR cause after that is DRRR sh or whatever?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Budget Prefuse posted:

i like this theme in works a lot actually but not when it's completely unearned and repulsive like the teacher in bokurano
For real.

At times it almost felt like Kitoh went out of his way to keep the dude safe from otherwise very probable fallout.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Allarion posted:

Vagabond is great and I wished chapters would come out more. Also gets cool big volume releases that are all worth picking up.

ah wait its not done? fuuuuuuuuuuuuu

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The theme of bad people getting away reminds me of that movie where a dude suspects his neighbors are terrorists and then investigates them but falls into a trap and is tricked into bombing the FBI and ends up taking the fall.

My mom really hated that movie so much. I'd probably hate it too if I watched it.

EDIT: It was Arlington Road.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

So it covers up to Volume 13? Which I assume is the last of the first season of DRRR cause after that is DRRR sh or whatever?

It'll cover up to volume 13. It won't go into sh though, but I heard that was bad anyway.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

That's a very edgy post Reds.

It's okay, I bought more band-aids before making the post.

I dislike the type of character who is designed to be a hate magnet, ones that exist only to piss the audience off. They usually feel two-dimensionally or absurdly scummy.

That's kind of a broad statement though, I don't mean all unlikable characters or all characters who are just there to be assholes.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It'll cover up to volume 13. It won't go into sh though, but I heard that was bad anyway.

I wish light novel authors would just know when to end their light novels instead of going on and on. I wonder how many light novel authors actually have a game plan for when to stop telling a story. Toaru is still around, yeah?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Davincie posted:

ah wait its not done? fuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Yeah and despite that, it's still probably one of my favorite seinen manga.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to be fair toaru is basically a shonen manga in ln form. cast of characters fight a new villain group every arc, occasionally adding another member to the cast.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I wish light novel authors would just know when to end their light novels instead of going on and on. I wonder how many light novel authors actually have a game plan for when to stop telling a story. Toaru is still around, yeah?

I think he wanted to but was asked by his editors to continue because drrr is his most popular work.

I wish Baccano was his most popular one so he could write more of it. :(

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

One of the things I actually liked a lot about anime compared to western TV shows is that due to the structure, unless you're an endless shounen or adapting something long you get in, tell your story, and wrap yourself up neatly. As far as I can tell most western tv shows are intent on lasting ten seasons if possible then maybe thinking about wrapping themselves up.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Speaking of, I wish Baccano would get a second season like drrr did but it won't and that makes me sad. :smith:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Always was kind of funny how both Vagabond and Vinland saga both entered a farming arc at around the same time.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
The shy glasses girl in Tamako Market is really cute.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Speaking of, I wish Baccano would get a second season like drrr did but it won't and that makes me sad. :smith:

Tell me about it. I didn't even finish the first season of Durarara, something was just missing.

I wonder what drives endless shounen authors to write endless shounens other than wanting to stick to a popular work and the steady income it ensures, and editor pressure. Surely after writing the same story for upwards of five or ten years you'd get tired and want to write something new, unless you have a large story you want to tell that just takes ages to tell and doesn't feel like it's drawing itself out. I suppose it could be as simple as liking the setting and characters.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

The Colonel posted:

The shy glasses girl in Tamako Market is really cute.

:yeah:

I only watched three episodes of Tamako Market by request of a friend and I liked her focus episode in the third episode a lot more than the first two. Best character, best design.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

to be fair toaru is basically a shonen manga in ln form. cast of characters fight a new villain group every arc, occasionally adding another member to the cast.

I really enjoyed Toaru at first (I own the entire first season and like 2 or 3 of the second season in Korean) and read it religiously whenever Baka-Tsuki updated it, but now I just find it so uninspiring and bland. An evil character tries to destroy the world, causes a ton of trouble for everyone, then Touma punches them in the face and redeems them. Also Touma is all about telling people they should feel free to ask him for help but keeps balking when Misaka tries to do so.

A powerful character joins at the end of a volume, only to be neutralized by the boss of the current novel.

So many characters, but the author brings them in for a while and then leaves them out to dry.

I dunno, maybe it gets better but from what I've read in terms of spoilers I don't really think it does.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Reds posted:

One of the things I actually liked a lot about anime compared to western TV shows is that due to the structure, unless you're an endless shounen or adapting something long you get in, tell your story, and wrap yourself up neatly. As far as I can tell most western tv shows are intent on lasting ten seasons if possible then maybe thinking about wrapping themselves up.

correct, which is also why i don't bother with most of the long running shonen

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Davincie posted:

correct, which is also why i don't bother with most of the long running shonen

Have you considered Gintama?

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

One of these days I'll clear the first 20 episodes hurdle of Gintama.

And gently caress you I'm not skipping episodes. If I'm going to go this I'm doing it properly/needlessly inefficiently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

stories that end is the only reason I got into anime in the first place, cause the only other places that happens in TV are british shows and I don't like british people, and telenovelas and I can't speak spanish

• Locked thread