Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

14 INCH DICK posted:

AW poo poo MAN I THREW MARVIN INTO REVERSE

That looks like a relatively new thrust rod bushing kit too. If it's not the engine/drivetrain that's terrible car stuff on these things, it's the steering/suspension.

From the center-steer rack & pinion unit mounted on the firewall behind the engine using rubber bushings as well as those lovely rubber inner tie rod bushings;

The outer tie rod/adjusting sleeve and its own unique surprise if someone tries moving it while the threads are seized together:

...or the pinch bolt is still tight. :saddowns:

Right down to those ridiculous front cradle bushings made of some kind of weird foam-like rubber poo poo that disintegrates at will:

Also: Pray that the cradle bolts don't snap off or spin the caged nut out of its brace inside the unibody rail. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

14 INCH DICK posted:

AW poo poo MAN I THREW MARVIN INTO REVERSE

loving LOL. Perfect.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

ausgezeichnet posted:

loving LOL. Perfect.

I don't get it

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Geirskogul posted:

I don't get it

Pulp Fiction.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Geirskogul posted:

I don't get it

Technicaly :nws: if your work don't like seeing marvin get shot in the loving face

https://youtu.be/LBBni_-tMNs

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Another fun one. Multiple return visits for the same issue. Intermittent fuse blowing on wipers for an 05 Focus. Started with the usual. Can you spot the short?

For those of you jumping the gun with vampire tap, take another look above it. Nowpicture it against the A pillar under the glove box, and the chafed wire was facing inward on one of the more centered of 8 similar connectors.

Now picture that fixing that one, brings the fuse popping from a mostly always back to a mostly not. Then discover the red herring is a dedicated power to the wipers,but a previous tech didn't remove power from the harness side so picture one intermittent actually being 2 on the same circuit.

Now managing to luck out and hear an arc under the dash by chance.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
gently caress, dude.

That is not an easy find. Well done.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

14 INCH DICK posted:

Another fun one. Multiple return visits for the same issue. Intermittent fuse blowing on wipers for an 05 Focus. Started with the usual. Can you spot the short?

For those of you jumping the gun with vampire tap, take another look above it. Nowpicture it against the A pillar under the glove box, and the chafed wire was facing inward on one of the more centered of 8 similar connectors.

Now picture that fixing that one, brings the fuse popping from a mostly always back to a mostly not. Then discover the red herring is a dedicated power to the wipers,but a previous tech didn't remove power from the harness side so picture one intermittent actually being 2 on the same circuit.

I had to do exactly this except it was a totally random group of faults happening intermittently (CEL with random codes, wipers going for no reason, certain lights going for no reason) and it was the engine bay harness on a Picanto where it elbows past the sharp edge of the battery tray. That was a fun afternoon.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

14 INCH DICK posted:

You get paid off of what the book says right? :suicide:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Nice find. I hosed with that wiring to install Ford's cruise kit in my 02, and I probably would've rolled it off a cliff before finding that little guy.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

14 INCH DICK posted:

Technicaly :nws: if your work don't like seeing marvin get shot in the loving face

https://youtu.be/LBBni_-tMNs

Hey, it's Phil LaMarr.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

CharlesM posted:

Hey, it's Phil LaMarr.

Voice of Samurai Jack.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
As well as Hedonismbot, possibly the greatest television persona behind Bender Bending Rodriquez

e; goddamnit i lied, hedonism bot was Maurice LaMarche

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Phil LaMarr plays Hermes Conrad.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

DiggityDoink posted:

As well as Hedonismbot, possibly the greatest television persona behind Bender Bending Rodriquez

e; goddamnit i lied, hedonism bot was Maurice LaMarche

Hedonismbot is amazing too, though. Maybe my favorite support character next to Roberto who always wants to practice his stabbin and doesn't like being asked if he is crazy? Right, left brain.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

DiggityDoink posted:

You get paid off of what the book says right? :suicide:

I'm getting paid a 1 hour electrical diagnostic plus whatever I can convince my boss to add

E: hard mode on :unsmigghh:

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 9, 2015

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

14 INCH DICK posted:

I'm getting paid a 1 hour electrical diagnostic plus whatever I can convince my boss to add

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

So is that the stock wiring run, laying up against sharp metal, or did someone gently caress with it?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Flip a coin, it was built Ford Tough.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Must've been from the pre MILITARY GRADE ALUMINUM days.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

MrYenko posted:

People who drive a car with a flashing CEL for longer than to-the-shoulder-to-wait-for-a-flatbed should have their loving licenses revoked.

:wave:

In my case, it was a jeep 4.0L, so I didn't really even hurt it.

Started with a $1000 98 Cherokee. This was in 2010, 3 years before it became emissions exempt.

Bought the cursed turdbox. It had no carpet, black front fenders, a white hood, a silver trim piece, no front bumper, a dark red nose, no rear driveshaft, a really rotted radiator, one inner fender a different color from the other, a hopscotched title, and a trunk completely packed with random spare parts. Also no airbags. This should have been a warning sign, but I wanted a rust free late model XJ rolling chassis and this sure looked like one.

Pput all the right color body panels on it from the junkyard, took it for a test drive. It overheated so I took it back and put a radiator in it, went back out for another test drive. This is when I discovered that the upstream O2 sensor was completely failed and more importantly, the seats hadn't been bolted back down after the PO removed the carpet. Ever have a vehicle that's in 4x4 (AKA front wheel drive, in this case, with semi seized ujoints) and plenty of torque suddenly go all herky jerky on you while the loving seat isn't bolted down? It's a good thing I had a solid grip on the steering wheel because I almost went over backward.

Replaced the O2 sensor, installed a junkyard rear driveshaft.

I went for my annual inspection. It popped the CEL on the second I rolled up to the shop, after being fine for the several weeks since I'd bought it and done all the initial money-shoveling. Misfire, so I bought plugs/cap/wire/rotor and threw them on.

Went back for inspection. By this point, the wiring harness for the hatch had broken a few wires so the third brake lamp didn't work and I failed. It was January of 2011 and we were having the worst snow season in years, which made junkyarding a new harness extra fun.

Installed the harness, went back for reinspection. The motherfucking pile of poo poo turned the CEL on again the second I rolled up to the shop, except this time it was running on two cylinders. I gave the gently caress up and just drove it, fortunately it was a spare/project vehicle so it didn't see many miles.

Then my other crapcans all fell apart, so I ended up driving it. The misfire got worse and worse until unplugging the #3/#4 injectors did nothing to change the idle. At this point I was working 60-80 hour weeks in NYC and spending 1.5 days at home, sleeping in a hotel during the week, so I had absolutely no interest in fixing it and a serious case of automotive hatred, so I just kept driving it with my foot on the floor. I did a compression check and found compression to be 110psi, 115psi, 30psi, 30psi, 125psi, 130psi from front to back. I was pretty sure this meant a burned head gasket between #3 and #4 especially since you could hear air rushing out the #4 plug when #3 was compressing and vise versa, so I stopped caring, it's a $100 junkyard engine that I can get anywhere. It was nearly undriveable in the rain, because it had no power up to about 2500rpm, then from 2500 to 2800 it would backfire horribly and come close to stalling, but if you could get it over 3000rpm it ran normally. Since it was an auto, that meant just loving mat it when you hit 2500rpm or it's going to stall, so it was burnout city.

I put about 10 or 15 thousand miles on it like that. Company was covering fuel costs, the cat was already slagged from being run at somewhere between "surface of the sun" and "plasma torch" temperature ranges, it's a piece of poo poo engine, hammer on it. It saw more redline operation than... drat near any vehicle ever does. The drat thing just would not die. At one point I realized it was a gallon low on coolant and 2-3 quarts low on oil after getting it stuck in the woods and doing repeated rev limiter neutral drops into first gear and reverse to get it unstuck for about 5 minutes, so I filled it back up and kept going.

Ended up putting a new-to-it motor in it (which had something like 248k miles on it, iirc) and tearing the old one open... and found a half inch wide gap burned through the head gasket between 3 and 4. And only minor fire polishing on the head and block surfaces. I bought a new gasket and was going to slap it back together as a spare motor, but dropped the head on the gasket while doing so and destroyed it. Got distracted and it sat in the yard with a trash bag over it for a year, including a winter. Unbeknownst to me, the trash bag had been reduced to tatters by UV exposure and the sump, lifter valley, and bores were full of rainwater for most of that time.

We had an AI goon meet at my place and while drunk decided it was totaled anyways, so it was the target of our thermite-based wrath. We put thermite through 3 of the cylinders. It melted right through the piston on at least two of them because we saw the oil pan glow red hot from the slag sinking to the bottom of the oil/water/coolant/mosquito larva emulsion within.

Later we decided to tear it apart and not only did the motor still turn after working it back and forth a little bit with a breaker bar, it scraped all the slag and rust off the bores and they actually looked pretty loving good. Only very minor surface pitting from the thermite slag (probably could have been worked out with a hone, if not that, a 10 thou overbore) and despite the rust, the crosshatching was still visible. Once we pulled the pan, we found that not only were all the rod and main bearings absolutely beautiful, so were the cam bearings, lifters, and cam lobes, with only a single small rust stain on a single cam lobe as the damage from sitting full of water.

I've got no loving idea how but that motor took it all and just laughed. I would have made it into a 4.5L stroker just so I could say I did, but the thermite did stress crack the top of one bore away from the fire deck since we poured it directly in the cylinder instead of using a flower pot.

So no, people who will drive with a flashing CEL don't deserve to lose their licenses, they deserve to drive XJs for the rest of their lives. The god drat things are cockroaches. Somewhere I still have a pic of the burned head gasket, a video of how it sounded accelerating on 4 cylinders, and I'm pretty sure one of the other NEAI guys has a video of us thermiting the gently caress out of it. A few AI goons got slagged pistons from it last time I did AISS.

kastein fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 9, 2015

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

14 INCH DICK posted:

There are some body-mod hacker types who get tiny rare-earth magnets implanted in their fingertips. Apparently once it heals up and the nerves grow around the magnet, you can feel the tiny twists and movements caused by nearby electromagnetic fields. One guy says that he can feel a twinge in his finger when his refrigerator turns on, that walking through a department store anti-theft sensor feels like plunging his hand into boiling water, and that he can pick out the live wires from a bundle of them just by feel.

I wonder if that would be helpful for people dealing with this kind of mess on a regular basis.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

14 inch bionic dick?

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

14 INCH DICK posted:

This could be a 10 hour electrical diagnostic and you might not be able to figure it out.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Maxwells Demon posted:

This could be a 10 hour electrical diagnostic and you might not be able to figure it out.

That's the wiring in the Blue Bug I look forward to receiving back some day. This, however, isn't from that car.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

14 INCH DICK posted:

That's the wiring in the Blue Bug I look forward to receiving back some day. This, however, isn't from that car.

Just like a chocolate milkshake only crunchy toxic

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud
I can't be the only one who sees a spider on the rag? Right?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

torpedan posted:

I can't be the only one who sees a spider on the rag? Right?

From the awful architecture thread:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Sagebrush posted:

There are some body-mod hacker types who get tiny rare-earth magnets implanted in their fingertips. Apparently once it heals up and the nerves grow around the magnet, you can feel the tiny twists and movements caused by nearby electromagnetic fields. One guy says that he can feel a twinge in his finger when his refrigerator turns on, that walking through a department store anti-theft sensor feels like plunging his hand into boiling water, and that he can pick out the live wires from a bundle of them just by feel.

I wonder if that would be helpful for people dealing with this kind of mess on a regular basis.

If you healed up that sensitively I bet it would (Ed- depends on dc vs ac I guess); I have one and although I haven't had a reason to try a bundle of wires like that I can def tell if say a wall wart has power or not. And getting that hand near a garbage disposal is a wild ride.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 10, 2015

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
You guys know that you can buy wire testers that will do that? Implanting magnets in your fingers isn't the most efficient way to get the job done.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Non-Contact-Voltage-Tester-NCVT-1SEN/100661787

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Why would you ever buy a cheap tool to do the job when you can butcher your fingers and install loving rare earth magnets with god-knows-what metallic platings covered with home improvement store bathtub silicone caulking while bleeding all over your kitchen sink? Come on now, be reasonable.

PS: don't ever get an MRI if you are foolish enough to install poo poo like that in your body

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

Why would you ever buy a cheap tool to do the job when you can butcher your fingers and install loving rare earth magnets with god-knows-what metallic platings covered with home improvement store bathtub silicone caulking while bleeding all over your kitchen sink? Come on now, be reasonable.

PS: don't ever get an MRI if you are foolish enough to install poo poo like that in your body

Or enter the room where the NMRI unit is housed. Unless, you know, you are into searing pain... which if you had magnets surgically implanted, you very well might be.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Glue one on the inside of a latex glove fingertip. Magic magnet sense on demand.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

EightBit posted:

Glue one on the inside of a latex glove fingertip. Magic magnet sense on demand.
And in the meantime have something to throw at your buddies that looks like a used condom!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Or I could just throw a used condom at them, they're outside behind the shop and in the parking lot all the time. Usually next to the needles.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble
From a friend who got it from Facebook - this is what 80K miles with no oil change looks like, apparently.

I don't understand how that turned over.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's what VR6's tend to end up looking like regardless of what you do :v:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

SilentW posted:

From a friend who got it from Facebook - this is what 80K miles with no oil change looks like, apparently.

I don't understand how that turned over.
Ha, that's the #1 all-time photo on reddit's "just rolled into the shop" and has been for a while. Still makes me throw up a bit each time.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Dad: Hey, my truck has been running a little funny and the check engine light came on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Somebody radio MacReady, I think I know how to find out if the rest of the truck is one of them.