Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
No they tell you what rank they award anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Hey so when you are about to rank up and the special "new opportunities" missions or whatever it's called show up, usually a bunch show up at once. Probably won't gain multiple ranks at once by doing them all, right?

Nope. Tried it numerous times for shits and giggles.

fake edit: Beaten like a bitch.

Vire posted:

Yeah I guess I should just go out and try everything not even sure I will like smuggling yet I just saw some neat videos with people sneaking into stations with illegal goods and that seemed really cool.

I think the "sneaking in" bit is a lot of hit or miss right now. Scanning mechanics of the security forces ships are constantly being debated both here and on the ED forums.

I dog fight almost exclusively and will only drop my C3 hardpoints for an Asp when an opportunity to make mad cash comes along. I personally can't stand the boredom/tedium of trade/mining and that's pretty much everything else there is to do save for jumping away from your sanity and out into the black.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

AndroidHub posted:

The originally hyped hardpoints for the corvette is what it should have gotten if it's really supposed to be a combat ship, 2 c4, 3 c3, and 2 c2 is what they said first, then they made a correction the following week. It all really hinges on whether there's new C4 weapons coming with it as it is now.

Huge beams have already been semi-confirmed, though no guarantees on whether or not they'd be in 1.5:

Personally, I'm really hoping for C4 turrets, because while the C4 Plasma Accelerator is fun to disintegrate one or two tiny ships with every once in a while, the hardpoint placement on the Anaconda is just way too odd for it to be any more effective than say a C3 beam turret.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
I want C4 missiles. Just missiles the size of a hauler flying towards you.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Well that's pretty fantastic, first confirmation of any sort I've seen, and they've dodged it as a direct question on previous livestreams so I wasn't holding my breath on getting them any time soon. On top of being good for all the big ships that will give the FDL an actual leg up over other comparable ships, or at least bring it in line with them.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

ps am no frog posted:

I want C4 missiles. Just missiles the size of a hauler flying towards you.

That'd be the C4 torpedo :getin:

timn
Mar 16, 2010
My personal impression about the lack of C4 weapons was that it was meant as a balancing mechanic. Make the huge hardpoints only advantageous against against other large ships and you start to get some small semblance of balance. Right now the Anaconda is not supreme in general combat, and the Corvette looks like it will fill a pretty limited niche. If you just straight introduce C4 lasers with appropriate scaling, I think both of those ships will just completely dunk on everything else and reaffirm the hierarchy.

That said, poor weapon variety isn't a good solution either. What if the tracking rates for gimbal and turret weapons got progressively slower the larger the class? You can have your C4 turreted death beams, they're just going to have a hard time consistently hitting anything smaller than a clipper or python. That would add some more utility to the small and medium hardpoints as well. You'd need those to efficiently deal with small opponents. Without them you're bait for the nearest Vulture.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
C4 turrets have a small exhaust hatch the size of a womp rat that's individually targetable.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

timn posted:

My personal impression about the lack of C4 weapons was that it was meant as a balancing mechanic. Make the huge hardpoints only advantageous against against other large ships and you start to get some small semblance of balance. Right now the Anaconda is not supreme in general combat, and the Corvette looks like it will fill a pretty limited niche. If you just straight introduce C4 lasers with appropriate scaling, I think both of those ships will just completely dunk on everything else and reaffirm the hierarchy.

That said, poor weapon variety isn't a good solution either. What if the tracking rates for gimbal and turret weapons got progressively slower the larger the class? You can have your C4 turreted death beams, they're just going to have a hard time consistently hitting anything smaller than a clipper or python. That would add some more utility to the small and medium hardpoints as well. You'd need those to efficiently deal with small opponents. Without them you're bait for the nearest Vulture.

The big problem with your theory is that the anaconda's problem is it's too slow in a straight line to catch anything that wants to run away. Even completely ignoring it's huge hardpoint it still has the shields and firepower to beat the everloving poo poo out of anything stupid enough to try to go toe-to-toe with it, and anything it can't kill it can escape from thanks to having enough internal space to run all of the SCBs ever.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

timn posted:

What if the tracking rates for gimbal and turret weapons got progressively slower the larger the class? You can have your C4 turreted death beams, they're just going to have a hard time consistently hitting anything smaller than a clipper or python. That would add some more utility to the small and medium hardpoints as well. You'd need those to efficiently deal with small opponents. Without them you're bait for the nearest Vulture.

I don't think big ships need to have weaknesses like this. Why shouldn't big guns on a big ship dunk on ships that cost thousands of times less than it? This isn't even the sort of tryhard PVP game where 'balance' is any sort of issue. This is an honest question.

timn posted:

My personal impression about the lack of C4 weapons was that it was meant as a balancing mechanic.

God, I hope not. The C4 weapons that do exist are borderline useless, except in some gimmick PVP builds, or for those really hoping to put those 100 cannon/plasma rounds to good use. This would mean they don't really understand the way people play their game, since for the most part, the optimal gun to put on a C4 slot is a C3 pulse laser.

Seriously, the ~luxury~ bounty hunting vessel is made obsolete by most other ships on offer around (and some below) its price range because there aren't good C4 guns to use there.

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 10, 2015

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Chrysophylax posted:

I don't think big ships need to have weaknesses like this. Why shouldn't big guns on a big ship dunk on ships that cost thousands of times less than it? This isn't even the sort of tryhard PVP game where 'balance' is any sort of issue. This is an honest question.

I think having the gun swivel around more slowly is quite reasonable, really. It's sort of like comparing the speed a mounted HMG could be swiveled to take aim at a new target, compared to say, a coastal defence gun. Not directly comparable to gimball guns on a virtual spaceship I agree, but I don't think it'd be such a bad idea to give smaller ships a fighting chance against the largest categories of weapons you can mount on a 'conda.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Chrysophylax posted:

The same reason 16in naval artillery wasn't used to shoot down airplanes? Big turrets for big targets, small turrets for small targets makes sense in general, though it does lead to the other question of why you can't mark specific targets for specific guns.

EDIT: Also the tracking for large turrets is already noticeably slower than for medium and small in game so it's not like the mechanic isn't already there anyway.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I make no claim that anything Frontier does fully works out the way they intended, but the real consequence of these missing C4 weapons right now is pretty clear, and it's very telling to look at the few weapons they have chosen to create C4 variants for so far.

In any case the point isn't to remove the progression curve, just soften it and create a space for interesting match-ups like a Corvette that dunks on Condas but could be exploited by a Vulture/Clipper/Python, and a Conda that is reasonably well-rounded but has a natural predator in the Corvette. Adding C4 lasers with no other stipulations would make that pretty impossible.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Chrysophylax posted:

Seriously, the ~luxury~ bounty hunting vessel is made obsolete by most other ships on offer around (and some below) its price range because there aren't good C4 guns to use there.

The lack of variety for the huge mount seems like the least of the FDLs concerns. It'd help somewhat with the issue of the power supply, but it won't address the absolutely terrible interstellar travel ability or scarcity of internal space. I think it suffers because it was a ship designed to excel in an environment where players were expected to only have four or five injections to their shields, so a weapon that can tear huge chunks off and a high capacity of shield energy would be ideal. Instead we have the current setup where people don't have to decide between blowing one of their limited supply of shield cells early or betting against a second C4 plasma hitting them before they've recovered more defense.

otherwise

quote:

we really need more incredibly expensive small and medium ships so that people can stop saying a big (expensive) ship should unequivocally win fights against smaller (cheaper) ships by default.

Sard fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 10, 2015

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Sard posted:

The lack of variety for the huge mount seems like the least of the FDLs concerns. It'd help somewhat with the issue of the power supply, but it won't address the absolutely terrible interstellar travel ability or scarcity of internal space. I think it suffers because it was a ship designed to excel in an environment where players were expected to only have four or five injections to their shields, so a weapon that can tear huge chunks off and a high capacity of shield energy would be ideal. Instead we have the current setup where people don't have to decide between blowing one of their limited supply of shield cells early or betting against a second C4 plasma hitting them before they've recovered more defense.

I should've added that I meant what I said for PVE. I don't consider PVP as a viable activity in this game. I agree 100% about what you said tho.

For PVE (imo 99% of the game), you'd need a c4 laser of some sort to offset the 4 other medium guns damage reduction vs large ships. A laser specifically because it is a hitscan weapon that doesn't suffer from having a tiny ammo pool. This is why I consider it a worse choice for pirate hunting than even the Vulture.

quote:

Gun size chat

We're gonna have to agree to disagree.

Edit:

Sard posted:

we really need more incredibly expensive small and medium ships so that people can stop saying a big (expensive) ship should unequivocally win fights against smaller (cheaper) ships by default.

I knew I was gonna walk into a landmine when I said that :smith:

If you've flown the Anaconda, or even better, the Python, you know it's not even particularly hard to keep any ship, no matter what size or how agile, in your sights, especially if you use FA off. Like, it is so easy, that I think the fact that it is easy proves the point that guns don't need additional nerfs on top of the swiveling or double chaff - to properly implement this, you'd need to nerf ship mobility in general along with it. They don't need it because the ships weren't meant to be balanced vs smaller ones.

This is why I disagree with the gun size chat. Most of you think only about gimbals/turrets, but those guns aren't even required to hit small ships, they're just convenient.

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 10, 2015

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Sard posted:

Just ignore him, he starts spewing this bullshit any time someone brings up the anaconda.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Astroniomix posted:

Just ignore him, he starts spewing this bullshit any time someone brings up the anaconda.

I'm not sure what I did to you, and I'm fairly sure this is the first time I've talked about this subject anywhere

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

Chrysophylax posted:

I'm not sure what I did to you, and I'm fairly sure this is the first time I've talked about this subject anywhere

You big opinion having jerk!

Gun talk is all fine and well but I really want ship delivery. I hate selling my ship and modules knowing that I'll just buy them back.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Chrysophylax posted:

You've brought up the anaconda's cost being a justification for it's indestructibility at least twice in IRC.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Chrysophylax posted:

it's not even particularly hard to keep any ship, no matter what size or how agile, in your sights, especially if you use FA off. Like, it is so easy, that I think the fact that it is easy proves the point that guns don't need additional nerfs on top of the swiveling or double chaff - to properly implement this, you'd need to nerf ship mobility in general along with it. They don't need it because the ships weren't meant to be balanced vs smaller ones.

This is why I disagree with the gun size chat. Most of you think only about gimbals/turrets, but those guns aren't even required to hit small ships, they're just convenient.

This is a fair point, if you're just talking big guns as opposed to the ships wielding them. I don't know how well it would go in PVP, but I don't have much trouble landing C3 plasma shots on Cobra- and Asp-sized targets moving a kilometer away. It's one reason I'm looking forward to the Corvette no matter what armament it has, so long as it has the two huge mounts, because two C4 PA ought to do a lot to deter an Anaconda or Python from acting like a turret or jousting while still leaving the ship suboptimal against fighters.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Chrysophylax posted:

Go try busting up a wing of eagles in a Conda with only fixed lasers and see how much fun that actually is. :colbert:

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

timn posted:

Go try busting up a wing of eagles in a Conda with only fixed lasers and see how much fun that actually is. :colbert:

It's doable, and not at all a bigslight pain in the rear end :negative:

Sard posted:

I don't know how well it would go in PVP, but I don't have much trouble landing C3 plasma shots on Cobra- and Asp-sized targets moving a kilometer away.

In some ways, it's even easier, since the AI manages to evade your fire really well. IME in a 4V4 situation, you're either primary and trying to tank your way through fire, or you're firing on a primary, which isn't moving specifically to evade your fire, making them a sitting duck from your perspective.

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 10, 2015

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

timn posted:

DBB attempted this recently.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
If you're spacerich enough to afford a (gold-plated) Anaconda, why on earth would you ever lower yourself to the plebeian task of actually aiming and shooting your guns :colbert:

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

timn posted:

I do, and is fun, git gud

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

deadlyrhetoric posted:

You big opinion having jerk!

Gun talk is all fine and well but I really want ship delivery. I hate selling my ship and modules knowing that I'll just buy them back.

What? I thought you could just buy a ship, store it at a starport, but a second one and if you want to swap later you can have your other ship delivered over for a fee? Is that not possible?

Or do you mean something different?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Hopper posted:

What? I thought you could just buy a ship, store it at a starport, but a second one and if you want to swap later you can have your other ship delivered over for a fee? Is that not possible?

Or do you mean something different?

You can buy multiple ships, but you cannot have them delivered anywhere. If you have 3 ships and you want to relocate them, then you either have to sell them and rebuy them at the new place, or manually transport them one by one (move one, fly a Sidewinder back to get the second one, etc.).

We can ship vehicles today, but over the next 1500 years we will forget how to do that sort of thing.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Whenever I see discussion about ship/module balance in this game my knee-jerk reaction is to shove my fingers in my ears and LALALALALALAALA because being reminded of the current state of things just makes me sad.

Put the lasers on this ship. Stack the SCBs. Put the lasers on that ship. Stack the SCBs.

There's really no counter-play at all and its kinda dumb.

One day someone will make a space sim game with a combat system that is comparable to the tactical depth of EVE and I will play that game and love it. So far I've seen no indication of that happening with Elite.

Game is still fun though.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Shine posted:

You can buy multiple ships, but you cannot have them delivered anywhere. If you have 3 ships and you want to relocate them, then you either have to sell them and rebuy them at the new place, or manually transport them one by one (move one, fly a Sidewinder back to get the second one, etc.).

We can ship vehicles today, but over the next 1500 years we will forget how to do that sort of thing.

drat. I thought some guy in an unofficial E:D get started video said you could go to any hangar and swap spaceships. If you're wasn't there it would be delivered for a fee... now I am confused.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
If this does exist then I have completely spaced on it and would be glad to know that it actually exists.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I will see if I can find that video again... but chances are I was overwhelmed and misunderstood it.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
That's odd. Weren't they supposed to release the 1.5 beta last night? I fired up the launcher and don't have the option to download.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Drake_263 posted:

That's odd. Weren't they supposed to release the 1.5 beta last night? I fired up the launcher and don't have the option to download.

They said the 1.5 beta comes in the week of Monday the 9th, not on Monday the 9th.

Today is another stream at 7pm GMT. They actually tell us something about the new ships on it and probably also on which day of this week exactly the beta will drop.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Libluini posted:

They said the 1.5 beta comes in the week of Monday the 9th, not on Monday the 9th.

Today is another stream at 7pm GMT. They actually tell us something about the new ships on it and probably also on which day of this week exactly the beta will drop.

Also durf, my inner clock is running a day ahead again and I thought it was Wednesday. If they stick to the usual Tuesday patchmas cycle it'll drop tonight, but you never know.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Voting for and posting questions for the upcoming stream here http://streamq.azurewebsites.net/

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They've already made the ultimate pve/pvp ship, the Vulture. It's senseless to bring something big. Okay you can ram stuff but what's going to be the cost of combat outfitting a Corvette, if we know it's going to be around what an anaconda costs now? If poo poo goes wrong do you want to pay the rebuy on a vulture or Anaconda?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Hopper posted:

drat. I thought some guy in an unofficial E:D get started video said you could go to any hangar and swap spaceships. If you're wasn't there it would be delivered for a fee... now I am confused.
Ship delivery is a planned feature, i.e. it's "on the list". Considering how long the list actually is right now, I wouldn't hold your breath though.

I wouldn't expect it to be instantaneous either, given Frontier have already gone to great lengths to ensure that distance and travel remains relevant to players (they've ruled out things like pilot teleporting).

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

AndroidHub posted:

Voting for and posting questions for the upcoming stream here http://streamq.azurewebsites.net/

Added a question about tractor beams/harpoons. Vote it up if you like fun. :getin:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

AndroidHub posted:

quote:

How open is Frontier to a full on Abolitionist movement across human space?

quote:

Would you please consider making Docking Computer as a software upgrade, without eating compartment space at all?

quote:

Are their dark-skinned humans (black people) in the Powerplay future of Elite? Will they ever be seen in prominent roles?

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In space everyone is black

• Locked thread