Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I picked up fallout 4 from a brick and mortar store today. Brought it home and installed it, but apparently only got 5 gig of the 24 gigs required when I bought the game.

Now I'm downloading for 8 hours before I can play the game I purchased. I haven't really been following the news or the threads but gently caress me if this isn't the last time I buy a game from the loving store.

Why does physical media actually exist, why couldn't I just buy a loving cd key 2 weeks ago and then I could have preloaded it through steam.

Last time I ever loving buy something not through steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Im glad i can enjoy playing video games instead of constantly bitching to strangers that arent listening about how a game hosed me out of something it never promised me.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

my dog is missing :(

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

hooman posted:

I picked up fallout 4 from a brick and mortar store today.

I originally thought you bought fallout 4 at a hardware store and I then wondered who was trying to scalp vidyagames near the adhesives.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

This happens rarely if I look in a particular direction. Right now it happens in Trinity Tower. Before, it happened after I walked out of a sewer entrance. Is this the game or is my computer dying?

This doesn't happen in any other game and I haven't had any crashes yet.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Corbae posted:

Did you leave him on the roof?

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Having a bunch of fun issues due to terrible screen resolution support. I can only set my correct resolution by altering the ini files, but that sure doesn't change the jank-rear end power armor HUD from being cut off and the lockpick ui being invisible. Guess I'm not the only one, according to a few google searches. Just have to wait for Bethesda to fix it since no mod tools mean players can't.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Corbae posted:

If you build a doghouse where you told him to go you should find him in it

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
gentle criticism is unacceptable

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Holy gently caress guys at least give them time to patch some of the bugs (glitches in a Bethesda game? Why I never) before declaring it to be poo poo and that everyone who enjoys it is poo poo.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

i cried with relief when i found him at red rocket

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Randomzx posted:

Congratulations, you are the casual audience that Bethesda panders to.

Being pandered to is the best. Your expectations are always met!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I named my character "Angela Deth" because I always do since I played the first Wasteland at a really young age and the name stuck with me, and Codsworth correctly recognized to pronounce it "Death".

:unsmith:

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Holy gently caress guys at least give them time to patch some of the bugs (glitches in a Bethesda game? Why I never) before declaring it to be poo poo and that everyone who enjoys it is poo poo.

I remember when "time to patch some of the bugs" was something that happened before the game released.

Ah, to be young again.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Welcome to the current state of Games Forum. It's like Imp Zone without the irony.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

FallenGod posted:

I remember when "time to patch some of the bugs" was something that happened before the game released.

Ah, to be young again.

Unfortunately, that apparently went out the window when digital distribution became a thing. Time for your blood pressure meds, grandpa.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I haven't seen too many bugs yet (a few ghouls floating in midair and clipping through the ground, once I just casually noclipped through a door), but it's reasonable to expect the game you paid $60 for to work properly on release.

These interior framerates though, could be another bug and this one is seriously loving annoying me. Vault 111, the museum and that factory all had terrible interior framerates. Then I get to another building very similar to the factory, it's smooth as butter in there. I decided to turn on the steam fps counter, and the framerate inside the laggy buildings is just the same as outside, but it feels like half or worse. What the gently caress is going on?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Bugs have never been why bethesdas games are terrible

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
At least devs have generally realized you have to support your games directly after launch.

There was that lovely few years after games started to get really big (in scope), but devs still had an early-days-of-gaming outlook, and they'd release their game and then the entire team would go on vacation. "What's that? The game is horribly broken? Well, we'll be back in a month, we can deal with it then. Surely everyone will stick with the game until then, right?"

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Played for about 2 hours yesterday and had fun without any jank other than gambryo faces being horrible. Fun game upgraded gun, shot mans, moles and flies. Got my poo poo wrecked by the deathclaw in two hits because im playing on survivor.

Outside of that deathclaw, I didnt find mobs having the bullet sponge effect I though theyd have, but the game is still early.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Anyone know how to get into the Insane Asylum? I want that bobblehead.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

graynull posted:

Having a bunch of fun issues due to terrible screen resolution support. I can only set my correct resolution by altering the ini files, but that sure doesn't change the jank-rear end power armor HUD from being cut off and the lockpick ui being invisible.

I had the same problem. It was pretty annoying. I took me a while to figure out that you're supposed to edit the .ini files in the documents folder and not the Fallout 4 install folder. Fortunately I never had any problems with the power armor HUD or Lockpicking UI.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Cooking seems useful now, I like combining drugs just so I have less poo poo in my inventory. The combat is GOOD outside of enemy AI being a bit retarded it's fun to fight things and survival mode seems okay at the moment in terms of enemy health. I have to eat some drugs before fighting but that's good, things still die in a couple of shots.

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

so im doing the valentine mission, and that guy skinny pete is immortal and i cant kill him no matter what i do. is this a bug or feature?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Yeah the combat is really good now. I really like it. It just feels great popping skulls. It's a huge improvement on FO3/NV.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

PS4 or Xbox one

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Whelp, add me to the list of pissed off people about the UI. Granted I still can mouse click dialogue options, but would preferred the quicker hot key method using RDFG (WASD). A bigger complaint I have is the game forcing me to use E) Take and R) Transfer. I've been playing games for over a decade with RDFG for moving about, and for whatever reason I'm forced to use R for transfer? This is extremely inconvenient to a point I can no longer play the game 90 minutes into it!! Who knows what other inconveniences there are using PipBoy, crafting, or whatever else there is out there. Anybody know of a console command to change keys and default keys for functions in the game? gently caress this game until I figure out how to do it.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

This happens rarely if I look in a particular direction. Right now it happens in Trinity Tower. Before, it happened after I walked out of a sewer entrance. Is this the game or is my computer dying?

It's a glitch with Rain.

No, there's no fix or even way to figure out what setting does it.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
Is this game playable yet? Or should I wait 2-3 patches and the next Steam sale to actually grab it?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ijii posted:

Whelp, add me to the list of pissed off people about the UI. Granted I still can mouse click dialogue options, but would preferred the quicker hot key method using RDFG (WASD). A bigger complaint I have is the game forcing me to use E) Take and R) Transfer. I've been playing games for over a decade with RDFG for moving about, and for whatever reason I'm forced to use R for transfer? This is extremely inconvenient to a point I can no longer play the game 90 minutes into it!! Who knows what other inconveniences there are using PipBoy, crafting, or whatever else there is out there. Anybody know of a console command to change keys and default keys for functions in the game? gently caress this game until I figure out how to do it.

just use autohotkey jesus

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
This game is rather shockingly devoid of people you can actually converse with. Plus the whole settlement thing is hampered by horrendous UI and the fact that all of your schlubs doing stuff literally have no names.

I'm having fun but good god drat the whole legendary monster mechanic is often an exercise in frustration.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Actually patches tend to make things worse, so I wouldn't wait on them.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

ijii posted:

You're a maverick. What led you to use RDFG over WASD? Genuine question.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
In case anyone is having the same problem: The game seemed to be stuttery, Afterburner showed a steady 60FPS but jumpy frame times. One of the Digitalfoundry videos I watched yesterday mentioned something about the game running smoother with a frame cap even with Vsync on, so I ended up

- disabling the game's Vsync
- enabling driver Vsync
- setting a 60FPS framecap in RivaTuner

That smoothed it out for me.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You can't patch the writing

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

You can't patch the writing

Or expect good writing from a Bethesda game so hopefully nobody is too upset.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Party Plane Jones posted:

This game is rather shockingly devoid of people you can actually converse with.

yeah turns out having voiced lines for every conversation has its downsides.

Bored Grunt
Nov 8, 2009

It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I was getting this after playing with the games graphic settings, no clue what option caused it and no clue what fixed it. I ended up just hitting the "high" graphic option in frustration and changed it back to full screen from windowed and it magically went away.

It was definitely rain related as was mentioned.. looking towards the sun fixed things temporarily until I looked away.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Away all Goats posted:

yeah turns out having voiced lines for every conversation has its downsides.

Yet somehow Rockstar manages to hire 500 people off the street for at scale pay work doing a couple lines of VA for every GTA game of the past decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Party Plane Jones posted:

Yet somehow Rockstar manages to hire 500 people off the street for at scale pay work doing a couple lines of VA for every GTA game of the past decade.

The Witcher 3 managed to have every single line for every single person you talked to in the world voice by them and Geralt.

• Locked thread