Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
murtidash
Apr 28, 2003
Rawr!

Pomale posted:

Nice! I'm trying to wrap up a 3-rune on the MiFi I started but things keep coming up and I can't sit down to play. I'm sure Gozag will carry me to victory anyway.

Grats broseph! Gozag is pretty good I hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Ugh, I'm playing a DECj of Vehumet that cleared Vaults:1-4 and the only amulet in the game so far is Faith. :sigh: I guess this is my punishment for one shotting things with an early Archmagi robe and staff of Conj. Maybe the hat of High Council will drop...

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I won my DEAK

quote:

The game lasted 07:28:35 (109163 turns).

Lawman0 the Acrobat (Deep Elf Abyssal Knight) Turns: 109163, Time: 07:28:35

Health: 135/135 AC: 29 Str: 8 XL: 25 Next: 9%
Magic: 45/45 EV: 36 Int: 27 God: Lugonu [******]
Gold: 3918 SH: 17 Dex: 25 Spells: 12 memorised, 10 levels left

rFire + + + SeeInvis . r - staff of energy {!a}
rCold + + . Clarity . I - quicksilver dragon armour
rNeg + + + SustAt . Y - +4 shield {rN+}
rPois + Gourm . x - +2 helmet
rElec + Spirit . X - +2 cloak of Starlight {rElec rC+ EV+4 Stlth--}
rCorr . Warding + Z - +2 pair of fencer's gloves {LBl+4 SBl+4 EV+3 Dex+6}
rMut . Stasis . B - +2 pair of boots {Stlth+}
MR ++++. S - amulet "Vinais" {Ward rN+ Slay+2 Stlth+}
Stlth +......... L - ring "Vomafofu" {+Blink +Fly rElec rC+ Dex+3}
i - ring of Yquto {rPois rF+++ rN+ MR+ Str-2}

@: contaminated, hasted (expiring), glowing, deflect missiles, very quick,
incredibly resistant to hostile enchantments, very unstealthy
A: frail 1, electricity resistance, MP-powered wands
a: Depart the Abyss, Bend Space, Banish, Corrupt, Enter the Abyss, Renounce
Religion, Evoke Blink, Evoke Flight
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled, abyssal
http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Lawman0/morgue-Lawman0-20151110-050726.txt
Early game was really easy because of a good flaming rapier artifact I found, good wands, lugonu powers and a quicksilver dragon hide that was lying around begging to be enchanted.
Mid-game after shoals was complete garbage until I cleared elf and found a book of summonings and staff of energy. Then the game decided to shower me with embarrassingly good loot except for a resist mutation amulet which made zot a chore when I also found out that malign gateway doesn't really cut it for taking down orbs of fire by itself. All in all a good first tournament win though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It still feels really dumb that potions of flight are a resource I actually have to conserve now rather than just throw on the floor and forget about. The more I play 0.17 the more the lack of the flight spell annoys me.

EDIT: Why does Crawl keep thinking its funny to put 5 ancient liches in my Vaults:5

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 10, 2015

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I like that there are tiles that affect different characters differently.

Remove ring of flight, introduce bird form. Shrike form. Yes.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Lawman 0 posted:

i - ring of Yquto {rPois rF+++ rN+ MR+ Str-2}
:holymoley:

Internet Kraken posted:

It still feels really dumb that potions of flight are a resource I actually have to conserve now rather than just throw on the floor and forget about. The more I play 0.17 the more the lack of the flight spell annoys me.
Maybe it matters more for 15 runing, but I've never really felt they were a critical resource. Then again, I'm more than happy to lug a ring of flight around for the one 3-rune branch that benefits from it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Haifisch posted:

Maybe it matters more for 15 runing, but I've never really felt they were a critical resource. Then again, I'm more than happy to lug a ring of flight around for the one 3-rune branch that benefits from it.

It boils almost entirely down too "will I have enough flight potions to make Cocytus not suck" because some of its endings have tons of deep water you HAVE too cross. Its not like shoals where you can just tough it out in shallow water; if you don't have flight, you straight up cannot clear the branch. And since jewelry slots are probably going to be tied up keeping on stuff to not die horribly, having to put on a ring of flight sucks. Its much better to just chug flight potions.

In the early parts of Cocytus and Ghenna there's just poo poo loads of lava and deep water you can walk around but it was nice to just bypass them with flight. Don't have that luxury most of the time now.

EDIT: On the other hand, the removal of regular mummy death curses has made Tomb much less obnoxious since I don't have to dump all my gear swaps before entering it.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 10, 2015

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

So, this tournament is really fun, it's making me think carefully about each step I take. I'm on my best run ever, but I feel like I'm a little underpowered in the resists/armour department. Any advice on what to do next? I've cleared E2 but I'm afraid of going down to E3. Choices are a few level of Vault or Depths or E3.

https://crawl.project357.org/morgue/unimpressed/unimpressed.txt

unimpressed the Executioner (Minotaur Berserker) Turns: 48318, Time: 04:04:34

Health: 203/203 AC: 31 Str: 30 XL: 19 Next: 4%
Magic: 8/8 EV: 10 Int: 4 God: Trog [******]
Gold: 3949 SH: 0 Dex: 15 Spells: 0 memorised, 18 levels left

rFire + . . SeeInvis + b - +6 battleaxe (antimagic)
rCold . . . Clarity . X - +1 plate armour {MR+}
rNeg + . . SustAt . (shield currently unavailable)
rPois . Gourm . (helmet unavailable)
rElec . Spirit . J - +2 cloak {+Inv}
rCorr . Warding . t - +2 pair of gloves
rMut . Stasis . Y - +2 pair of boots
MR ++... A - amulet of faith
Stlth .......... N - ring of positive energy
U - ring "Qoev" {Str+3 SInv Stlth-}

@: very resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely unstealthy
A: retaliatory headbutt, horns 3, camouflage 1, agile 1, fire resistance 1,
robust 1
a: Berserk, Trog's Hand, Brothers in Arms, Burn Spellbooks, Renounce Religion,
Evoke Invisibility
}: 2/15 runes: decaying, gossamer

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Elf can get really scary for melee guys, especially if you don't know what to expect and don't have a plan for how to deal with it. Vaults is probably safer through 4. Then you could do elf, crypt (can also get scary for the unprepared) or depths. Elf is generally the easiest of those as long as things don't go pear-shaped, but that's very possible if you let yourself get surrounded by nasty elves. Whole floor vaults in depths can throw everything you'll find on elf: 3 and more at you, though.

Other, unrelated advice: get more dodging. A minor investment (12-13) will get you a significant increase in effective hit points. Just a few EV can make a big difference. Next, get a better ranged attack. Attack wands work, but you should have something more reliable. Evo or throwing are ideal if you have the tools (rods or javelins), if not I would go for an arbalest on that character, but I can see how some players might thing it's too much investment. Third, ID your wand of hasting, digging and any other wand you want to use to attack with. You have little use for the ID scrolls and that will let you make much better use of those wands. Finally, don't touch that obsidian axe!

Edit: for the future, use acquirement scrolls on "staves" on Trog characters. It's guaranteed to give you a rod. That will give you a great ranged option that scales with the best utility skill in the game.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Nov 10, 2015

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

In my opinion throwing is way better than Evocations for a strength-based character now, doubly so if you're worshipping Trog or Okawaru. Javelins are crazy strong, don't require swapping your weapon out, and don't have weird problems or limitations. For instance, if you only find a rod of inaccuracy, it's good against a lot of things, but there's plenty it's useless against. Rods of clouds or destruction fire random bolts your target might resist. Rod of lightning and ignition are nice, but they also are fairly commonly resisted. A javelin of penetration is basically a better option than any of the rods. The only problem is of course running out of ammo, which can happen, but with the two fighter gods they tend to keep you well stocked up.

This isn't even to consider how strong blowguns + status needles are, but I tend to carry those and then forget about them.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

So how is darkness? I have a spriggan stabber that found a book of burglary so I just got access to it and invisibility. Obviously invis is top priority, but they're both lv 6 pure hexes so maybe they're comparable in utility? I've never used it.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Somehow I forgot about the ammo gifts from Trog. Throwing is less viable if you don't have shoals in your game because you probably won't be able to throw javelins at will. Tomahawks are surprisingly badass at high skill levels, but not better than bows crossbows for the skill investment. Trog obviously will help a lot with that problem, though.

Regarding Darkness, It's helpful, but quite esoteric. When it was level 7 it was mostly just a novelty. At level 6 it's probably worth taking if you're going for hexes anyway because it can be quite helpful under the right circumstances. I wouldn't see it as a reason to go for hexes in the first place, but if you're casting hexes anyway, it's a decent spell that puts your skill investment to good use even in situations where you can't actually hex anything. I wish the duration were longer, however. It doesn't last for a very long time and while LoS reduction can be extremely powerful, it's hard to figure out when to cast it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Hooplah posted:

So how is darkness? I have a spriggan stabber that found a book of burglary so I just got access to it and invisibility. Obviously invis is top priority, but they're both lv 6 pure hexes so maybe they're comparable in utility? I've never used it.

Okay so you know how Line of Sight is basically king in this game? This reduces your sight radius by two. As Heithinn says the duration on it leaves a lot to be desired but if you need to be sneaking around the peripherals of a level in a place that has a lot of enemies with see invisible, it's pretty good. For example, say you run into anything that can smite you (hellions, 1s, tormentors, greater mummies, etc). With this spell on it is two less turns that they can see you and potentially smash you with hellfire or smiting.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Silver javelins blow up OoF pretty well.

(with really high throwing)

more like FAILdows get it
Nov 19, 2007

punch a friend in the butt
So I pulled in a 3-rune win for my team, but I've never really gotten to the extended game before aside from finishing Tomb once. I'd like to get my first 15-rune this tournament if possible. What race/class do you guys recommend for someone attempting extended but has never tried it before? Obviously no combo will make it easy, but I don't want to make it more challenging than it needs to be.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Thanks guys, that was roughly how I was valuing it based on description. Looks like I better grab it eventually.

Anyway, this SpVM is going pretty well. Just made it to the bottom of the lair, and have this beast to thank for the first part of it-
u - the +9 trident of Benevolence {speed, rPois}

That thing pretty much carried me through anything immune to poison, even with zero polearms skill. Speaking of poison, it feels really weird to be playing a stabber without access EH/confuse. My only source of distracted stabs have been pure stealth, Gozag, and mephitic cloud. I'm glad that after like 15 versions, I can still lean on mephitic cloud + Sp speed to trivialize even death yaks and elephants. And by the time I have to slog through swamp I should have invis and (hopefully) freezing cloud online to deal with dragons and hydrae. I'm still terrified of thorn hunters.

Is Gozag's call merchant ability affected by skills or available slots, like god gifts/acquirement, or is it totally random? I'm trying to decide if I should attempt to get some book shops now or wait until more relevant skills are trained. I really need some translocations.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

Okay so you know how Line of Sight is basically king in this game? This reduces your sight radius by two. As Heithinn says the duration on it leaves a lot to be desired but if you need to be sneaking around the peripherals of a level in a place that has a lot of enemies with see invisible, it's pretty good. For example, say you run into anything that can smite you (hellions, 1s, tormentors, greater mummies, etc). With this spell on it is two less turns that they can see you and potentially smash you with hellfire or smiting.

You can do cute stuff with it too like firing a ranged weapon or wand at stuff that's out of vision range. Easy way to clear hellion island.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Pomale posted:

So I pulled in a 3-rune win for my team, but I've never really gotten to the extended game before aside from finishing Tomb once. I'd like to get my first 15-rune this tournament if possible. What race/class do you guys recommend for someone attempting extended but has never tried it before? Obviously no combo will make it easy, but I don't want to make it more challenging than it needs to be.

Your typical "My First 15-runner" melee bruiser build is the meaty Minotaur/Gargoyle/Hill Orc Fighter/Gladiator of Okawaru that transitions into The Shining One after you've collected your Monty Haul of randarts. Maybe Zin if you're good about using your god abilities prematurely. There's also the Demonspawn species choice and Makhleb god choice instead that can be thrown in here for good measure.

If you're spellblasting then you have your glass cannon Deep Elf Conjurer/[Fire/Ice/Earth Elementalist] of either Sif Muna (for more consistent MP channelling and a good spread of spellbooks) or Vehumet (MORE DESTRUCTION + 3 top tier level 9 spells). If you want more meat on your bones then you go either Human, High Elf, Merfolk, Naga, or Draconian.

The hybrid approach is Merfolk/High Elf/Human Ice Elementalist/Gladiator/Skald of any god except Vehumet (centralized gimmick around spell blasting + hard to transition out of), Ru, or Trog (both restrict your options). Typically focus on your weapons instead of your spells until you've got experience to spare and you've got an easy way of moving into buffs and/or ranged options.

Comedy option: kaschei has spoken on Makhleb before where you essentially take *any* combination, go Makhleb and just build Invocations until 20 and using his god abilities on everything before you consider branching out. Unsurprisingly effective but also unsurprisingly boring if you do it often.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Easiest 15-runer for me (a bad player) has been a GrFi of Ru. Sac dodging, blasty spellcasting, love, and a few other things you find you don't need, grab M&F, Armor, and Shields, (and Invocation? I forget does Invocation power up Ru's ultimate ability?) and just facetank everything, and apocalypse the Pan/Hell Lords. If it doesn't one-shot them, it will paralyze them and leave them open to 1-2 followup hits to kill them.

Some players might find this boring. I found it cathartic :v:

I'd use Ru this tournament, but I can't figure out what I'd sac on an OgFi/Hu since I'd need too many things to make them defensively viable (and I'm bad at Ogres).

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 10, 2015

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Pomale posted:

Honestly, it depends more on the gear you find than the combo you're running. If you don't have a solid variety of resists(as in, at least two pips in most things) available, or if your AC/EV/weapon are mediocre, you probably shouldn't do extended in a given game.

Being a caster will make extended a lot less tedious because you can mow through enemies faster, doubly so once you're slinging around multiple L9 spells. But you need a good source of mid-battle MP regen - generally that means a crystal ball of energy(plus clarity and high enough evo to make it useful). Veh is nice because of the range extension+wizardry effect+MP on kills, although the latter won't completely fill your MP requirements. Sif is weird and does nothing to aid your casting(other than blocking miscast effects), but channeling is good. By the time you hit extended you'll want some form of melee, whether that means a staff of earth or training up a traditional melee weapon. It can save your rear end if you run out of MP, and lets you save MP when fighting popcorn enemies.

If you go melee, the easiest god choices are TSO(holy brands your weapon, HP on kills), Makhleb(HP on kills), or Zin(most powerful panic buttons in the game, Recite). You don't necessarily have to worship them from the start, but you'll want to choose a starting god whose wrath you can handle. If you go Zin, you may want to go TSO for a bit to get the holy brand, then switch - good god wrath doesn't trigger when switching to another good god, and you get to keep a fraction of your piety. Even a pure melee dude will want to hybridize a bit eventually, because utility spells will make extended a lot easier & you'll have plenty of XP to get them castable. Even a dumb brute in heavy armor can get Haste up eventually.

As far as races go: The undead races remove Torment as a worry, but tend to be crap early game. Gargoyles resist torment and come with innate flight(handy for select extended branches) and shitloads of innate AC. Minotaurs will get you to extended through virtue of being beefy overall, although their lovely casting apts will start to hurt - even they want castable rmsl/haste/blink/etc eventually. Nothing insurmountable, just annoying. DE is the classic caster choice. HE is a bit less squishy without sacrificing too much of your casting apts/racial int.

more like FAILdows get it
Nov 19, 2007

punch a friend in the butt
Wow, awesome advice guys, thanks! I'll try out some of these and see which one clicks. I'll probably go for something hybrid since as much as I like having a huge repertoire of spells I can't stand being so fragile. I know higher level spells mitigate that problem but I always seem to react to danger too late.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'd use Ru this tournament, but I can't figure out what I'd sac on an OgFi/Hu since I'd need too many things to make them defensively viable (and I'm bad at Ogres).

Burn Evocations, spell schools, body, mental (lowered mp, MR-, etc), Love, Experience (being level capped at 25 doesn't seem to be a huge deal), maybe the -1 to all aptitudes. The last one I've stayed well away from because I've been trying Mummies with Ru and they already are -2 for most things. That should get you capped and with all your defenses intact and more room in your inventory for ammo because you aren't carting around all those evocables!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The real easy mode for extended is a statue form character. You get tons of AC, a big health bonus, and the best torment damage reduction outside of Kiku. On top of that, they have immunity to a lot of the stupid bullshit you can't avoid in extended. You don't have to worry about getting your HP rotted constantly or getting petrified in Dis. Pretty much the only extended threat they still care about is hellfire, but some races in statue form will have so much HP they don't care. And if you really want to go overkill, you can still worship TSO or Mahkleb to get heals on kills. You're basically indestructible at that point barring incredibly stupid play.

Of course the major downside of statue form is the slow movement, but playing around that isn't so bad. It just means you need a decent ranged attack or some way to close the gap quickly. You want one of those for extended anyways.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

In other words play with Cheibriados if you want to get an idea of how a statue form character will move around with the added notion *all* actions as a statue will take longer instead of just movement.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Sage Grimm posted:

Burn Evocations, spell schools, body, mental (lowered mp, MR-, etc), Love, Experience (being level capped at 25 doesn't seem to be a huge deal), maybe the -1 to all aptitudes. The last one I've stayed well away from because I've been trying Mummies with Ru and they already are -2 for most things. That should get you capped and with all your defenses intact and more room in your inventory for ammo because you aren't carting around all those evocables!

Will give this a shot!

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Pomale posted:

Wow, awesome advice guys, thanks! I'll try out some of these and see which one clicks. I'll probably go for something hybrid since as much as I like having a huge repertoire of spells I can't stand being so fragile. I know higher level spells mitigate that problem but I always seem to react to danger too late.

There's no reason you can't have a huge repertoire of spells, good melee damage and be fairly durable. That's what Ashenzari is for! HE^Ash is the ultimate jack-of-all-trades-gently caress-the-saying-master-of-all-also character. But HE is weak early and relies heavily on good spell book finds. GrVM^Ash is very strong throughout the game and doesn't need to find anything other than a decent weapon (much easier than HE because m&f are so much more common than LB even though it makes no sense for that to be the case any longer). Lean on sting and kiting while you train poison magic to 7 or so for OTR then switch to melee. By the time you can't rely on poison magic and meph cloud to solve all your problems, ash's skill boost should make you a decent fighter. Pick up venom bolt mid-lair for a very powerful AoE range nuke. Gargoyle AC and Ash's skill boost will keep you durable even in light armor and with moderate dodging skill. It's a very offense focused strategy, but it can take a punch too. It does melt even faster under heavy pressure than most gargoyles, though.

Internet Kraken posted:

The real easy mode for extended is a statue form character. You get tons of AC, a big health bonus, and the best torment damage reduction outside of Kiku. On top of that, they have immunity to a lot of the stupid bullshit you can't avoid in extended. You don't have to worry about getting your HP rotted constantly or getting petrified in Dis. Pretty much the only extended threat they still care about is hellfire, but some races in statue form will have so much HP they don't care. And if you really want to go overkill, you can still worship TSO or Mahkleb to get heals on kills. You're basically indestructible at that point barring incredibly stupid play.

Of course the major downside of statue form is the slow movement, but playing around that isn't so bad. It just means you need a decent ranged attack or some way to close the gap quickly. You want one of those for extended anyways.

I tend to be slightly more anti-statue form than pro, and I know other people differ from me on this, but my problem with statue form in extended is that you have to eat far more hell effects and deal with more of the super high spawn rate in pan. It's also harder to escape from bullshit situations in pan as well. I end up taking more damage in statue form than without it in both of those places. It's amazing in tomb, however.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 10, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I tend to be slightly more anti-statue form than pro, and I know other people differ from me on this, but my problem with statue form in extended is that you have to eat far more hell effects and deal with more of the super high spawn rate in pan. It's also harder to escape from bullshit situations in pan as well. I end up taking more damage in statue form than without it in both of those places. It's amazing in tomb, however.

As far as hell effects ago, none of the ones that do direct damage matter in the slightest. Torment is the only one that can hurt but you're in statue form so who cares. Being in statue form also negates the bullshit rot effects and makes it easier to get to rN+++ to negate the draining ones. The only hell annoying hell effects it doesn't negate are enemy spawning and glow. Enemy spawning isn't as much of an issue when you just flatten everything with comically powerful attacks though, which is easy when they spawn right next you. Glow is dumb and should be removed because it just boils down to how many potions of cancellation you have.

As for Pan, the spawn rate of enemies in it is almost completely irrelevant because most of the enemies that spawn are trash. The dangerous situations in Pan come from the vaults filled to the brim with nasty poo poo. Trying to stumble away from them in statue form is stupid. You just burn a TP scroll because literally anywhere else on the map is gonna be better than that place. Or you controlled blink out via spell or scroll. Either way, trying to run from stuff in Pan is usually the bad choice unless you are just avoiding the edge of an encounter. But in that case you could stll get away in statue form anyways. Its only when you're in the thick of things that you are really in danger, and you just want to TP then.

I mean I've tried tons of different builds in extended, and statue form feels like easy mode to me. It makes everything way easier. I'm not sure what you're doing to make you take more damage in it cause Ive never felt that way when using it. The only times I've come close to dieing with statue form in extended is when I play like an idiot because I'm overconfident.

VVV Yeah I didn't mean to imply it was because of statue form. The damaging hell effects never seem to do anything beyond like, 4 HP. Which I'm not gonna complain about when the other ones can be so awful.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 10, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Internet Kraken posted:

As far as hell effects ago, none of the ones that do direct damage matter in the slightest.
In my experience, this is always the case, statue form or no statue form.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

holy poo poo this depths entrance sucks
looks like I'm gonna have to tell everyone to wait, read tele and go down then recall

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 10, 2015

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
code:
1566147 NotMyLeg the Hoplite (level 26, 282/282 HPs)
             Began as a Demonspawn Monk on Nov 9, 2015.
             Was the Champion of Yredelemnul.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Nov 10, 2015!

The game lasted 05:02:50 (78448 turns).

NotMyLeg the Hoplite (Demonspawn Monk)             Turns: 78448, Time: 05:02:50
A completely unimpressive 3 rune win for team In Zot, Corn Eats You, but at least it means I wasn't lying when I said I was probably good for a win or two. I would have at least gone 5 runes, and maybe done extended, but this character always felt right on the edge of dying. I only survived Zot 5 because Kryia's Mail Coat basically turned my 20+ potions of curing into potions of heal wounds, which gave time for my infinite amount of teleports (I think I had 20 scrolls and 3 wands) to both drop me into range of, and then get me out of range of, 3 OOFs at once. My weaknesses were, of course, mostly my fault. I shouldn't have invested above 15 shields for what was, in retrospect, a mediocre artifact large shield. Literally anything else would have been a better investment. Also, I should have branded an Eveningstar instead of a demon whip. Demon whips are just too low base damage to be a good choice against OOFs.

Once I got the orb it was almost an easy escape, then a Pan Lord with distortion branded attacks blocked my path to an up staircase and abyssed me. Still made it out - then promptly blew my chance at a streak by overlooking how much damage early boulder beetles can dish out.

E: This win also marks the first time that I have won the same species twice, and only the second time I've won the same background twice (I don't usually play repeats outside of the tournament because I'm more interested in trying new things than winning).

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 10, 2015

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

Does anyone have a team with openings that I can join?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

So far Gastronok the Juggernaut has two kills while Gastronok the Shard Shrike has only 1.

Crazy Yuif the Ogre (shapeshifter) has one, too.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

If you're spellblasting then you have your glass cannon Deep Elf Conjurer/[Fire/Ice/Earth Elementalist] of either Sif Muna (for more consistent MP channelling and a good spread of spellbooks) or Vehumet (MORE DESTRUCTION + 3 top tier level 9 spells). If you want more meat on your bones then you go either Human, High Elf, Merfolk, Naga, or Draconian.

I have to take a stand here. This discrimination against air elementalists will not be tolerated. AE has a good start and a fantastic follow up, while ice elementalists start kinda mediocre and carry on that way. If you were going for a hybrid, sure, but an ice blaster is only a step above poison.

The only big downside of AE is the reliance on rElec, everything else is gravy. Shock is the best starter spell and your other tools are good enough (they don't compare to conjure/sticky/ball from FE but they do the job) to carry you to the amazing selection of good air spells. Meph, freezing and poison cloud are all easy gets, airstrike for the very few early enemies that resist elec and the ridiculous power of ball lightning. And then you get two high level spells to cap it off, chain lightning and tornado. Except unlike Earth both of your spells are actually amazing. Chain lightning rips through entire crowds at once and obliterates single targets, while tornado is extremely mana efficient, unresistable, and can kill an OoF in a single cast.

On a side note, don't worship Sif Muna, she's bad. If you really, really don't want Vehumets amazing benefits for some reason you should go Kiku or Ash instead, not Sif.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Let me show you my extensive mace collection.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/InternetKraken/morgue-InternetKraken-20151110-220526.txt

This was actually really hard because I played incredibly sloppily. I had to use my consumables to get out of stupid situations that I shouldn't of gotten myself into in the first place. I got too tab happy and combined with a laggy server I ended up coming way too close to death way too often. I used almost every single consumable I had by the time the game ended. No teleports, no blinking, no heal wounds, no curing, barely anything of other stuff. A smarter player would of cut their losses and ascended around the third time I nearly died in Hell but I'm too stubborn to give up. Sure it worked out but this easily could of been a death post with me lamenting my stupidity.

Did Lom Lobon get buffed in this version? As far as I know he hasn't changed at all since he got glaciate but for some reason he's giving me TONS of trouble lately. Used to be I smashed his nerdy eyeball into pieces but now he's just casting tornado ASAP and spamming glaciate nonstop. Its basically impossible to kill him in melee when he does that. I mean really;

quote:

96874 | Pan | HP: 4/217 [Lom Lobon/great icy blast (39)]

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 10, 2015

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Sage Grimm posted:

If you're spellblasting then you have your glass cannon Deep Elf Conjurer/[Fire/Ice/Earth Elementalist] of either Sif Muna (for more consistent MP channelling and a good spread of spellbooks) or Vehumet (MORE DESTRUCTION + 3 top tier level 9 spells).
If you are going blaster caster, I would actually recommend Tengu of Vehumet over Deep Elf. +3 Conjurations gets one of the big boy spells going fairly early. Also, Flight at lvl 5 (permanent at 14) with the bonus (+20% evasion and .1 movement reduction) makes early game escapes a lot easier.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Finally got a win. Should have gotten 2 easy 15-runes before but I threw, so I just did a quick beogh 3-rune.

Internet Kraken posted:

Did Lom Lobon get buffed in this version? As far as I know he hasn't changed at all since he got glaciate but for some reason he's giving me TONS of trouble lately. Used to be I smashed his nerdy eyeball into pieces but now he's just casting tornado ASAP and spamming glaciate nonstop. Its basically impossible to kill him in melee when he does that.
This has been my Lom Lobon experience™ literally every single time I fight him every single version. I'm near positive that all the people who think he's easy have just gotten lucky in the RNG roulette that is monster AI in crawl.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Did Lom Lobon get buffed in this version? As far as I know he hasn't changed at all since he got glaciate but for some reason he's giving me TONS of trouble lately. Used to be I smashed his nerdy eyeball into pieces but now he's just casting tornado ASAP and spamming glaciate nonstop. Its basically impossible to kill him in melee when he does that. I mean really;

Not as far as I can tell. I mean, I almost died to him with the gargoyle of Qazlal I had earlier just trying to run up and beat him to death, but I found out afterword that it was because I didn't have any rC+ equipped :shepface:

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
Just learned something new. Apparently equipping Stasis will clear the 'slow' status, but also give you yellow contamination. Really glad I had already IDed cancellation before I equip IDed Stasis after berserking.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

World Famous Whore posted:

If you are going blaster caster, I would actually recommend Tengu of Vehumet over Deep Elf. +3 Conjurations gets one of the big boy spells going fairly early. Also, Flight at lvl 5 (permanent at 14) with the bonus (+20% evasion and .1 movement reduction) makes early game escapes a lot easier.

Oh right, I knew there was another species to fit that mold but nothing was coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

IronicDongz posted:

This has been my Lom Lobon experience™ literally every single time I fight him every single version. I'm near positive that all the people who think he's easy have just gotten lucky in the RNG roulette that is monster AI in crawl.

Yeah I don't know if he's buffed but he's always stood out to me as a pretty significant road bump when meleeing. One time as a MiFi I had to try him three times with an exec axe and teleport out each time it got hairy, and then had to come back with an antimagic battleaxe to finally settle his hash.

• Locked thread