Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

I'm away from it right now but of the two or three cassettes I played, my feelings applied to every one.

There's also the weird sunglass thing from the first mission. I think I'm mostly thinking of the whole Miller rant on dogs of war and DIAMOND DOGS after that mission. It's like a really juvenile depiction of how people talk to each other even though it's "gritty".

I'm fine with the comical action stuff thrown in, like the contrast between the cardboard box equipping animation and how snake picks up supply drops by hopping into the box like a cat with an Amazon shipment versus the intense sprint camera shake and takedown stuff.

But hey, I know that's Metal Gear games, I loved MGS 1 and 2 because I was like 14 when I played them. Now I'm almost 30 and I don't really care about this dumb animu fire girl and the tortured sole of a shrapnel unicorn.

The cassettes are exposition, and unfortunately, it seems that Sutherland is on a word diet for this game, because he doesn't say poo poo, he just facial expressions and lets Kaz explain things in a monologue fashion. But the derivative cassette tapes from PW were mostly cool(especially the cardboard box ones). The Paz diaries were definitely anime though.

Sunglasses were two things: making the "Kaz" character complete(in a Horatio Caine/CSI: Miami kind of way), and also to product place. The JP version of PW had Doritos, Pepsi Next(Max), and Axe body spray.

Kojima is definitely guilty of taking a number of liberties as director, and his writing is basically more of the same from the very first game. But there is certainly a method to his madness, as they say.

JoshTheStampede posted:

It's stuff that doesn't matter but sounds vaguely technically correct and it's delivered convincingly as long as you don't listen to it too closely.

This, but the whole story. Add fanservice other random interests Kojima had when doing the game, and you have Metal Gear n.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah, and Hearthstone by a country mile. It's still like 50m a year of free money for them though. You're probably right though, just let it ride out.

Hearthstone made ~170M in 2014, and makes about 20M / month now. It's a shitload, but WoW still brings in a lot more revenue in just subs alone (it's also obviously more expensive to run)

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 10, 2015

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

When they cancelled Titan, Blizzard gave an interview that said they didn't want to be an MMO company anymore. They said they just couldn't come up with a fresh MMO that was actually enjoyable to play. I figure WoW will stick around for years to come and foster a significantly smaller but loyal customer base that will shell out for smaller expansions every year or so. If Everquest can survive and still be making expansions in this day and age, there's no reason to suspect that WoW will stop anytime soon.

They'll probably turn their attention to Hearthstone/Overwatch/Heroes of the storm. I'm also really hoping for another Diablo 3 expansion. It's hit the point where that team adds so much to the game for free I'd love to see what they could do with a $40 price tag and I'd be glad to throw them some cash at this point. I figure the end game to all the excellent patching they do has to be to retain a player base for another expansion or maybe even a Diablo 4.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I think they're moving to a model where sub numbers spike up with each expac release, and then die off again over the following 12-18 months. More like a series with regular releases where you can carry over progress than a game you're always playing / paying for.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
10 minutes into Fallout 4 and the first object i loot off a corpse is a copy of the works of Karl Marx.

The description says it's good for toilet paper.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The least anime Metal Gears were the first two. It started getting really anime with Solid.

Sleeveless posted:

Regardless of the actual quality of the actual release, the fact that literally everybody in my peer group on Facebook is hyped about Fallout 4 and reminiscing about the older games is rad as gently caress. Semper games.
SMG was right when he noted that videogame fans enjoy the anticipation of videogames, rather than the playing of them.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

The Taint Reaper posted:

10 minutes into Fallout 4 and the first object i loot off a corpse is a copy of the works of Karl Marx.

The description says it's good for toilet paper.

taint reaped and preorder canceled. thanks for the heads up, homie

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

hubris.height posted:

taint reaped and preorder canceled. thanks for the heads up, homie

Sorry no Pip-Boys in this hard hitting no apologizing post apocalyptic world, there's only room for Pip-Men.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Fallout 4 is fun as hell guys, its Fallout 3 without the bullshit

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

theultimo posted:

Fallout 4 is fun as hell guys, its Fallout 3 without the bullshit
Impossible i saw the Bethesda logo when I started the game up.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I'm sure Bethesda's latest offering won't be a steaming pile of buggy poo poo.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I missed the mischief makers talk a few pages ago but I just want to say that I'm counting down the days until christmas when I go back to my folks house and get to dig that shake shakin' gem of a really nice time out of the attic and fire it up again

Also blast corps and turok 1. I might even play doom 64 but the og n64 version was made obsolete by doom 64ex so I dunno if I'll get around to it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
welp in a shocking turn of events the people who said fallout 4 on ps4 looks/runs like crap are very wrong

it is also very fun and good. i'm taking a break because the sheer ownage is overwhelming

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think I'm too old for hype now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
thats whats great about becoming old and cynical, like i assumed asscreed syndicate was gonna be "okay" at best and was hella surprised by that one too

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Yeah, having fun with FO4 and the talking MC is a nice change up. The graphics are serviceable on PS4 and the sound design is pretty great aside from the cha-ching every time you get exp. Turn off the radio and enjoy the atmosphere.

I'm sure the main story will be as garbage as any Bethesda game and the pre-war intro was as lame as I was expecting but it's fun to play in their sandbox again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Not sure about John Fallout but Jane Fallout has a very good VA, at least if you pick all the smartass responses.

Also my character looks like David Bowie and already has a "Man Who Sold the World" suit. Now I need to go find some sunglasses. :cool:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I haven't played the game but I saw some on twitch and I really love how the the character just interrupts NPCs with "uh-huh" when you skip past their dialog.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

precision posted:

Not sure about John Fallout but Jane Fallout has a very good VA, at least if you pick all the smartass responses.

Also my character looks like David Bowie and already has a "Man Who Sold the World" suit. Now I need to go find some sunglasses. :cool:

I went with Jane too and am walking around in a dapper postal worker outfit, captain's hat, hipster glasses, and a pistol. It feels very right.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
as gamers i feel this november we are very blessed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I haven't played the game but I saw some on twitch and I really love how the the character just interrupts NPCs with "uh-huh" when you skip past their dialog.

Stonk Bread did it first.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

VideoGames posted:

I am numbed to new releases. I play Hotel Dusk on my phone.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Paladinus posted:

I hope after a brief period of rest you are once again wowed by new games. Sometimes we need to recharge.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

VideoGames posted:

I hope after a brief period of rest you are once again wowed by new games. Sometimes we need to recharge.

There are no episodes of Tales from the Borderlands left, so maybe next year.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Paladinus posted:

I was kind of the same way for a while. I was trying to relive my nostalgia for gaming for the longest time, and being a big, fat bitchbaby towards anything new (not saying you are, it was just how I worked with it). Then I guess I realized when I was little I could literally enjoy anything, including my copy of Superman 64 and I may have been an idiot when I was little. I'm mostly in it for the experiences now, and I'm much more into gaming again.

Either way FO4 is really good, and the FO4 thread continues to be terrible.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Nov 10, 2015

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

VideoGames posted:

I agree with videogames

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

What else is coming out this November?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Plan Z posted:

I was kind of the same way for a while. I was trying to relive my nostalgia for gaming for the longest time, and being a big, fat bitchbaby towards anything new (not saying you are, it was just how I worked with it). Then I guess I realized when I was little I could literally enjoy anything, including my copy of Superman 64 and I may have been an idiot when I was little. I'm mostly in it for the experiences now, and I'm much more into gaming again.

Either way FO4 is really good, and the FO4 thread continues to be terrible.

I am not really nostalgic either, Hotel Dusk is a new game to me. Played Pillars of Eternity and enjoyed the game a lot until suddenly after about 15 hours I didn't. Just lost interest. I am also poo poo at action games, so when Fallout became a FPS, I just couldn't bring myself to play through it. I am still excited about some new games, but none of them come out this November (unless you want to count a theoretical Batman: Arkham Knight patch that makes it playable on PC).

But I do look forward to the new Hearthstone adventure.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

black ops 3, anno 2205, and need for speed already out
fallout 4, rise of the tomb rider, and starcraft 2: legacy of the void out today
more in november
battlefront
telltale got ep 6
football manager
asasassins creed
deadpool
trackmania turbo

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

kalstrams posted:

black ops 3, anno 2205, and need for speed already out
fallout 4, rise of the tomb rider, and starcraft 2: legacy of the void out today
more in november
battlefront
telltale got ep 6
football manager
asasassins creed
deadpool
trackmania turbo

Uhhh I think Fallout 4 is the only one i'm interested in.

Also Deadpool is the movie not the game, gently caress anything that ain't a game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Paladinus posted:

That game was such a letdown. I kept waiting for people's dumb personal problems to stop getting in the way of me doing detective work, then the game ended.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Golden Goat posted:

Also Deadpool is the movie not the game, gently caress anything that ain't a game.

It's a current gen port of that lovely game they released a couple of years ago. :laugh:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

Invisible Inc DLC.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lurdiak posted:

That game was such a letdown. I kept waiting for people's dumb personal problems to stop getting in the way of me doing detective work, then the game ended.

Hey, no spoilers please. I like the game so far. It's really not-anime.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

It's a current gen port of that lovely game they released a couple of years ago. :laugh:

Well gently caress I don't count that as a blessing towards gamers this month.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

A spectre is haunting Games - the spectre of Anime

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
all games/months are blessings because we also have the games we may have missed from a previous month to play. every month there are more games in the world and this number will increase forever. this makes me very happy!

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

VideoGames posted:

all games/months are blessings because we also have the games we may have missed from a previous month to play. every month there are more games in the world and this number will increase forever. this makes me very happy!

I think you're trying to get me to join a cult.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Later this month we're getting the Bloodborne dlc and really what else do you need?

Then in theory next month brings EDF in case you actually need more. (Also Xenoblade)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
this november I'll be alternating between fallout 1 and carmageddon rebirth

• Locked thread