Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

what would that get me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

sell me on ruby MALE SHOEGAZE

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
it would be very slow

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

just write your emulator in ruby

write a program in ruby that writes its own emulator

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Awia posted:

what would that get me?

laid

the ladies love some ruby

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
railin' on ruby

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Valeyard posted:

I'd need to invent a 5GL first

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Luigi Thirty posted:

I had a computer a long time ago that not only had a turbo button but an LED readout of the computer's speed in MHz. this display was two digits long and normally toggled the multiplier between 33MHz and 66MHz.

same

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ruby is obscenely bad don't use it

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
write it in js so you can be close to the metal

lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

Valeyard posted:

write an emulator in ruby that can figure out how to quit vim.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Awia posted:

ive always wondered what more complex emulators do, for things like the ps2 or wii
you can't just have a massive array of memory when your memory space is like 1gb

they emulate the MMU found in the real hardware, so you allocate memory by the page and do address translation

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

I had a computer a long time ago that not only had a turbo button but an LED readout of the computer's speed in MHz. this display was two digits long and normally toggled the multiplier between 33MHz and 66MHz.

saw one of these at Weird Stuff

a 286 that could switch between 6, 8, and 10 MHz!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they emulate the MMU found in the real hardware, so you allocate memory by the page and do address translation

the MMU is also one of the most fun bits of code in the CADR and TI Explorer emulators

Luigi Thirty, I forget, did you finally get USER AIDS from Meroko?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I did get USER AIDS working in meroko, yes. it was very exciting

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

thought this might be the case

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

I did get USER AIDS working in meroko, yes. it was very exciting

did you manage to debug the DECnet driver? that's not in the gamefaqs...

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i got offered an interview by a guy i kinda know for a web back-end job, but it was php / mysql and i dont fancy the commute back to 2003

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i know people who believe lamp is still the latest and greatest in web servering

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

i know people who believe lamp is still the latest and greatest in web servering

sometimes i like to cold lamp

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

eschaton posted:

did you manage to debug the DECnet driver? that's not in the gamefaqs...

no, debugging lisp machine device drivers is above my pay grade

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Bloody posted:

same but mean

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

http://blog.golang.org/6years

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
if i were smart enough to make programming languages and was stuck working on go i would kill myself

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

does anyone anywhere actually use go

they were trying to write the goonfleet backend in it at one point

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

docker

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

docking... complete

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

vodkat posted:

Anyone here have experience with nltk for python or similar? I'm trying to play around with it at the moment but I'm finding it kind of hard to understand whats going on some of the time.

i just started looking at it because of this post. idk if i'll be useful for what i'm trying to do tho.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
my only experience with ntlk was this one coursera course but it was pretty heavy for me at the time so I failed on the second week

I should try it again

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
"make the buttons bigger" they told me, "they are hard to hit"

so I made the icon bigger

buttons still the same size

nobody will notice

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
"can you make the text fisher-price big, too"

sssure thing

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

"you nerds know nothing about UI design" -- a bigger nerd than I ever was or will be

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

DRAMATIZATION

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 10, 2015

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Luigi Thirty posted:

prefetch is for suckers

Bad Sneakers
Sep 4, 2004

me irl
python question:

which would be faster: iterating into a list but having to check the list each time to avoid duplicates -or- creating a tuple but then having to split it to put the second half into said list ?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Bad Sneakers posted:

python question:

which would be faster: iterating into a list but having to check the list each time to avoid duplicates -or- creating a tuple but then having to split it to put the second half into said list ?

first question: does it really matter how fast it is?

if not, pick the one with clearer code that makes sense to you

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Bad Sneakers posted:

python question:

unless i'm misunderstanding use a set?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bad Sneakers posted:

python question:

use java or c# and use a hashset

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Luigi Thirty posted:

a friends startup switched from PHP to go. He likes the go better than the PHP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Bad Sneakers posted:

python question:

foo = set(a_list)

for x in foo

• Locked thread