Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My beef with poo poo time travel storytelling of the "If you wanna manipulate the forces of the cosmos to your own ends, you're gonna have a bad time" variety is that every single loving series that involves time travel these days does that poo poo. No you can't just work time like that, it's ACTUALLY not flexible at all and no matter what you do, the results will still be the same despite you.

They never explain Max's powers. That's good. But they also do the "in the end, it doesn't even matter" poo poo. That's bad.

Like I fully expect the future adventures of Max and Chloe to just be a comedy of Chloe dying from falling pianos, tripping down open manholes, slipping on banana peels, and trains going off the rails and plowing through the middle of town to run her over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The actual right ending here is to make it so the loving Tornado is actually a time cop and it came just to tell Max "Don't do it again" and leave.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Baal posted:

The actual right ending here is to make it so the loving Tornado is actually a time cop and it came just to tell Max "Don't do it again" and leave.
Aside from her stupidity in destroying photos, her extra stupidity in never doing exactly what she did this episode with the whole "I am going to lay out my entire plan for you right now so please follow it to the letter once I'm gone from this moment, and remind me of everything afterwards" thing, and just telling people to pack up and leave town to avoid the twister. I dunno if the "true" ending explains it or if the twister is really just a force of nature or some inexplicable cause and effect from her time fuckery, but just go to the mayor, use your ridiculous time powers in creative ways like when she got into the principal's office to prove that she's got precognitive abilities, and get everyone outta dodge beforehand.

Like if she HADN'T done that poo poo in the final episode I wouldn't have really been bothered by it. But that she actually knew the trick to get people to know what was going on by telling everything that would happen before the flashback ended, and never used it prior to that moment to, say, save Chloe's dad and possibly keep chloe from getting in that car accident later, is kinda terrible. And of course she kept destroying photos she could have possibly used if things went completely tits-up with her other ideas, which was super dumb and shortsighted.

I liked the first four parts overall, but the final episode was a sad trombone of a finale.

edit: except those texts. Those texts and some other parts of the dream sequence were real great.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 10, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was weaving in and out, for the most part. The consistent quality of episodes was alright, but whenever I felt like the story was moving at a boring rate then an episode like 2 or 4 would pull me back in and hook me, especially Episode 4 which is insanely strong. Then Episode 5 is literally the opposite of what I wanted. It doesn't help they put the burden of the climax on the relationship of Max and Chloe when Max as a character is wildly inconsistent from episode to episode whether it be her character or how much her place in Arcadia Bay matters at all. Episode 5 kind of shits all over that by just coming down to "Chloe Chloe Chloe." Because Chloe as a character is just not a good character and her relationship with Max can come off as toxic in some episodes like a lot of Episode 3.

Then there's the nightmare sequence which felt to me like it was trying to crib off of the Arkham games, I can't tell you why it's specifically those games because I know other games do stuff like this too, but it really felt kind of like that. It was also pointless and terrible. Those texts were amazing tho, yeah.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It seems like the time powers were really just supposed to be a gameplay contrivance so you could be aware of the choices the game is presenting and roll them back if you wanted something else, and the meat of the story was the teen drama serial killer stuff because that had a satisfying twist and conclusion but a lot of the time power supernatural stuff was an afterthought except for specific neat puzzles.

Also god drat it Liam not everything needs to be played back by going Devil's Advocate on it this KOF discussion is loving terrible. You don't give enough of a poo poo about KOF to care about the 3D models, it's fine, it didn't need to be a 20 minute discussion. Next time Matt is on the podcast he should just have that "wrap it up" skit from Chappelle's Show queued up so he can just play it whenever they start talking about stupid nonsense.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Just have a button in the middle of the table that plays the Sonic running-out-of-air music when a podcast topic is wearing out its welcome

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

edit: except those texts. Those texts and some other parts of the dream sequence were real great.

Yeah, I really liked the texts, particularly for the moment the friends looked at them. I love when games do that "things are repeating NO WAIT THERE NOT." But the rest of the sequence kinda felt like it dragged on a bit much.

I find it kind of hilarious how many perfect cuts the best friends were able to make with this episode.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Baal posted:

If you save Chloe like the guys did, that's pretty much the tornado's canonical purpose already. v:v:v

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Am I the only person who liked episode 5 then? Because I thought it was great and a good ending to a real good game. Then again I always seem to have more positive opinions on things compared to others here.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You are not so much more positive, as you are more lenient of the game's faults.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Am I the only person who liked episode 5 then? Because I thought it was great and a good ending to a real good game. Then again I always seem to have more positive opinions on things compared to others here.

I thought the episode did a lot of neat things, but the final choice is just lame. "You made the disaster by changing time" is the most obvious and done-before thing they could have gone with. The "good" ending is basically the equivalent of "it was all a dream."

Reminds me of the gag the Best Friends brought up of a twist being that there is no twist. "You faked out the hook and went with the hook" or something.

On another note, (regarding the R Mika thing) according to Liam, apparently developers aren't allowed to change things in beta? "Don't show me something and then change it"

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 10, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Did Liam talk at all about the Fatal Frame "censorship" with the costumes?

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

e: ^^^He brings up way worse examples.

Captain Invictus posted:

You are not so much more positive, as you are more lenient of the game's faults.

I liked Episode 5, but at the same time I'm incredibly lenient towards the game's faults because it's a neat premise/gameplay mechanic executed well and I enjoyed the dumb twists and fun characters who I murdered in a tornado. Bae over Bay. :v:

Genetic Toaster fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 10, 2015

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015
Liam's censorship argument is the worst it's ever been this week

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's not really even censorship OF anything. She still slaps her rear end and you still see her slap her rear end and it still makes a comical slap sound. But the camera is 10 inches higher. Calling that censorship is pretty silly, and by silly I mean stupid

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
is it censorship if a developer changes their game at all during development, or only if it's to remove dumb poo poo

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
Someone needs to strap Liam down in a chair with his eyes pried open as this episode of the Jimquisition plays on repeat.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Farg posted:

is it censorship if a developer changes their game at all during development, or only if it's to remove dumb poo poo

it's only censorship if it affects sex appeal for games. Covering up Jessica's [DQ8] tits is censorship. Decreasing required experience for level up by .0325% is not

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Compromising the developers vision for exp because they think the west can't handle it is absolutely censorship and is killing games

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I still don't get why they changed the leg split though. Maybe some characters are too tall? Too short?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm not one to usually fall into describing things as cringe worthy but Liam nearly going to tears over KoF14 is pretty much up there.

Love him just shouting I HATE SMASH 4 IT'S UGLY TOO when it's visually the best smash game.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm gonna put Liam in a leg split next con if he keeps insulting smash 4. I'm gonna be like that one guy who punched Liam by accident. Cept this time it won't be an accident it's gonna be a massacre.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Give new things a chance, except when its something I know, then otherwise gently caress that new thing, especially when it tries to be different

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Tae posted:

Give new things a chance, except when its something I know, then otherwise gently caress that new thing, especially when it tries to be different

Like it was pointed out "we know we're being irrational, it just huuuuuuurts" is what they're saying. They never said the combat will be bad, they never said it won't be a fun game (though pat is hoping for that), they just really hate how it looks.

This is what Liam can't understand apparently.

FauxGateau posted:

I'm gonna put Liam in a leg split next con if he keeps insulting smash 4. I'm gonna be like that one guy who punched Liam by accident. Cept this time it won't be an accident it's gonna be a massacre.

He can not like it- it's fine. It's just really childish that he'd just start yelling obvious blatantly untrue poo poo when the guys aren't agreeing with him let pretending the two things are even remotely related.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Like it was pointed out "we know we're being irrational, it just huuuuuuurts" is what they're saying. They never said the combat will be bad, they never said it won't be a fun game (though pat is hoping for that), they just really hate how it looks.

This is what Liam can't understand apparently.

Yeah, that was specifically at Liam. He's super hypocritical at times and Matt isn't there to point it out this time. The guy is somehow in super nostalgic mode at the age of 21.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Liam is living evidence sometimes kids need to be bullied

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Mandrel posted:

Liam is living evidence sometimes kids need to be bullied

Not really

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

I wonder why Liam doesn't frequent this thread.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Man, I haven't listened to the podcast yet and all this talk is really making me want to skip it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's fine.

E: oh barf, what isn't fine is checking Vessel for Undertale 12 and seeing Reboot 5 instead.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rhonne posted:

Man, I haven't listened to the podcast yet and all this talk is really making me want to skip it.

It's probably about 10min combined that everyone goes on and on about, like every single podcast. I'll let you know, I have a 4-hour trip on coach anyway.

PiedPiper posted:

I wonder why Liam doesn't frequent this thread.

You know the whole "Liam hates Warren because he's his doppleganger" thing? Well...

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Rhonne posted:

It gets some hits in.

I loved the snailborne reference in the email section.

speed.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Dias posted:

You know the whole "Liam hates Warren because he's his doppleganger" thing? Well...

Truly, we are Liam.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Improbable Lobster posted:

You know what, when a game looks like that I'm fine with daying that it isn't a good game

absolutely cannot fault you for believing that, because thats a reasonable reaction.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It's too bad, because there's some intricate combat and class systems involved, but as long as the market keeps contracting over there you're gonna keep having good devs going even more niche to secure sales.
Heck I expect it to get worse after 2016 since there's another tax increase incoming that's gonna increase the prices for all entertainment goods by something between 15 to 20$.

EDIT: Wow, this new MGS episode is pretty cool. Or at least it's a pretty neat backstory extension that stays in line with MGS1 while making up the usual crazy pseudoscience. And that burger tape is amazing.

HGH fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 10, 2015

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

HGH posted:

It's too bad, because there's some intricate combat and class systems involved, but as long as the market keeps contracting over there you're gonna keep having good devs going even more niche to secure sales.
Heck I expect it to get worse after 2016 since there's another tax increase incoming that's gonna increase the prices for all entertainment goods by something between 15 to 20$.

Sources? I haven't heard of this and I can't find anything through Google

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Sorry I was off, it was set for 2017 for all national sales. The numbers might have been conjecture from elsewhere. Probably all the economic crisis articles.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Liam is absolutely ridiculous in this KOFXIV conversation. Especially when he outright says he hates Smash 4, which makes his indignance last year when people accused him of hating it even more idiotic.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Liam is super talented at picking both the Shittiest Hills and Rustiest of Swords to die on.

ESPECIALLY after he loving says that he hates Smash4, gently caress offffff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

HGH posted:

Expect the games/anime industry in japan to be similar to the 90s comics industry in north america. So, a decade of crap, a decade struggling to recapture markwtshare and then a decade in which people who previously weren't the 'target audience' save the industry while awful nerds complain.