Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

reminder that all plant life will die because there's insufficient CO2 in the atmosphere in 600 million years

not that we'll be around to care, statistically speaking we're guaranteed to be dead from the next Chicxulub-sized impact by that time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pseudorandom name posted:

reminder that all plant life will die because there's insufficient CO2 in the atmosphere in 600 million years

if only there was some material found in the earth's crust that released CO2 into the atmosphere

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah the ending is real bad. I was like hey I'm still reading here Amazon, where the gently caress is the rest of my book. I looked around for like 2 minutes and didn't see a sequel, do you know what the name is??

tbh it was just a random blog post that said it was part 1 of a 2 parter, but heres hoping.

Crippled lawyer girl and bodyguard, climbing a ladder to nowhere endlessly

Corta bossman in a spacestation plotting revenge

younc Luca having to man up, will his sister and family be alive in the bunker

and the fuckin' sabotage worm in the crucible platform, tell me that wasn't the Itchy and Scratchy Fireworks Factory all over :mad:

Yep, ideal place to end.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

pseudorandom name posted:

Save the trees, burn fossil fuels.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

at the date posted:

Save the trees, burn fossil fuels.

I expect this to be a gop talking point in a week

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Amethyst posted:

"This HP lovecraft story is dumb because the lowly humans apparently didn't even MATTER to the ageless horrors of the depths? So who cares.

the humans got to drive the speedboat

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:

at the date posted:

buhhhh but CHARACTERS if there aren't CHARACTERS then it's a bad story! I demand an EMPOWERED WOMYN a REGRETFUL HAUNTED VETERAN and a HARDBOILED DETECTIVE WITH A HEART OF GOLD in every story because a sheaf of DnD bios complete with flashbacks to formative traumas is what the Internet calls a story.

CHARACTERS

Just like Asimov is a bad writer because he can't write a character you get invested in within his epic sweeping world building and technology circle jerk, Watts is also a writer who gets far too caught up in his ideas and forgets why people read fiction and not tech documentation for fake future tech. There are lots of writers that make a cohesive world and then have decent characters running around in that world like Kim Stanley Robinson. Just because you are writing genre fic doesn't give you a get out of jail free card WRT arguably the most important part of a narrative.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
asimov is the biggest offender among the ideas men scifi authors

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Asimov is a very good writer.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
you guys are just love to poo poo on things that other people enjoyed

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
i like his short stories, but his novels suffer from the characters being just wikipedia dispensers

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hogge Wild posted:

i like his short stories, but his novels suffer from the characters being just wikipedia dispensers

half his novels are just short stories stapled together though

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Janitor Prime posted:

yeah its the reason i mostly skim this thread and yospos in general but occasionally some good poo poo gets posted

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Janitor Prime posted:

i don't think you realise why yospos exists

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

half his novels are just short stories stapled together though

this is also a bad thing

short stories should be stand-alones

decent short stories that are smashed together turn into bad novels, eg. i liked moorcock's elric short stories when i read them from anthologies, but they didn't work at all as novels

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hogge Wild posted:

this is also a bad thing

decent short stories that are smashed together turn into bad novels, eg. i liked moorcock's elric short stories when i read them from anthologies, but they didn't work at all as novels

That's as much a sign of the time when it was published than anything though. The foundation series is no martian chronicles but still thought provoking, which is a sadly high bar

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Hogge Wild posted:

this is also a bad thing

lol nope, foundation is perfect and could only ever work as a set of short stories

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I aspire to one day be as derided as Asimov

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Asimov's style (or lack thereof) is so goddamned good that it drives lesser writers nuts in trying to categorize it so they can hate on it.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
shaggar, right yet again

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

at the date posted:

Mr Darcy sipped his tea and chuckled at his own joke about Pakistani laborers. His comments would have been considered distasteful among 19th century landed British gentry. Britain herself was at the center of a globe-spanning empire of colonies, and citizens of the island benefited from an imperialist policy that often trod on the rights of the conquered. Eliza, for her part, kept her face ancillary-still and tapped into the biofeed of Mr Wickham.

lol

would read, though

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
i chewed through p much all of asimov in my teens and haven't read any since. i keep meaning to revisit hist stuff, but people keep releasing new books and i just can't keep up

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
amazon caved on ebook prices so everything in the Asimov library is like $10. its loving lame. amazon should have crushed every publishers balls.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shaggar posted:

amazon caved on ebook prices so everything in the Asimov library is like $10. its loving lame. amazon should have crushed every publishers balls.
piracy exists though

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
he dead and he family don't need the money just saying

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah i guess. i just like the idea of cheap ebooks cause it promotes both the content and the medium but w/e publishers are dumb as poo poo and i hope they all die along w/ the authors that support them.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
For a while you could buy the hitchhikers guide books separately at like $6 each or the Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which was the 5 books all together for $14

I think they might have fixed the prices to make sense by now

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

For a while you could buy the hitchhikers guide books separately at like $6 each or the Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which was the 5 books all together for $14

I think they might have fixed the prices to make sense by now

The later books are pretty much worthless so it wasn't that far off

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Shaggar posted:

Asimov is a very good writer.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Janitor Prime posted:

nah, they just genuinely have a flawed idea of what good fiction can be.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

writers like Italo Calvino don't create """"good"""" characters either but you don't hear smart critics whining about it because they know he has a different, and worthy, artistic goal

the same thing applies to asimov

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I finished Count Zero last night and im on to Mona Lisa Overdrive

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Shaggar posted:

i read them this summer and they were good

i gotta read more gibson

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Shaggar posted:

is this the first time you read them?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Shaggar posted:

Asimov is a very good ideas guy.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Amethyst posted:

writers like Italo Calvino don't create """"good"""" characters either but you don't hear smart critics whining about it because they know he has a different, and worthy, artistic goal

the same thing applies to asimov

Look at this loving hotshot

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

I just re-read mona lisa overdrive not too long ago and it's still good

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Tanith posted:

is this the first time you read them?

yeah

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
mona lisa overdrive has cool battlebots in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
gunna watch this sometime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2QfzF6FrrU

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread