Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

God it looks soooo goooood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also it looks like instead of the Kilgrave stuff being incidental to her case work, a good part of the show is about her searching for and trying to expose Purple Man.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Jeffrey Dean Morgan had been cast as Negan on Walking Dead

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Dacap posted:

Jeffrey Dean Morgan had been cast as Negan on Walking Dead
That sucks, I love his character on The Good Wife.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

So something like this, but with just regular goggles?

Yeah, probably without any goggles what so ever actually.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

ufarn posted:

That sucks, I love his character on The Good Wife.

I thought that show was on the bubble anyway?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

Also it looks like instead of the Kilgrave stuff being incidental to her case work, a good part of the show is about her searching for and trying to expose Purple Man.

That's what I was afraid of. Kilgrave nauseated me in the Alias series. It's an amazing book and the story and character is critical, but I just don't think I can watch that in live action.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

It's funny that this "mind controller" is such a serious, secret affair when AOS has super people running around pretty much doing what the hell they want whenever they want. Hard to reconcile the two shows.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Shield seems to have three superhumans on payroll, and their job description seems to be "help new superhumans transition", " stop murderer superhumans " and "stop hydra". I would hardly call that do whatever they want whenever they want.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

AOS has actually pretty clearly established that (they believe) stuff like telekinesis, telepathy and mind control don't exist.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's a line in one of the trailers that implies that people are pretty skeptical about mind control actually existing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

AOS has actually pretty clearly established that (they believe) stuff like telekinesis, telepathy and mind control don't exist.

At least one AoS character was mind controlled by an Asgardian, not to mention Hawkeye in Avengers and almost the entire team in Avengers 2.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That was brain control.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I'm pretty sure that SHIELD has reassessed their position on that since they know Scarlet Witch exists now.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Agent Carter had a hypnotist that could make people do stuff, but it seemed limited in scope.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
When is Agent Carter s2 anyways?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

bunnyofdoom posted:

When is Agent Carter s2 anyways?

The winter break

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
David Tenant looks so evil and slimey in it. It's going to break all the Who fangirls cry.

Awesome. I also love how they're straight up starting the Luke and Jessica romance. The blond woman is Patsy Walker right?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

SHIELD and Flash were pretty damned good again this week, both shows are on a roll. Supergirl was... It was funny seeing the characters trying to in universe explain to the audience why they can't have Superman on the show. And by funny I mean stupid. Tonally the episode was pretty good but narratively it was just pants on head stupid. It also dropped in ratings for the second week in a row.

Edit: The preview for next week's Supergirl looked pretty awful. They couldn't have picked a worse time to play up love polygons.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, and they're a sharp drop. Over 3 to just over 2 and now just over 1. If this was on the CW it would be fine, but it being a network show that's not a cheap sitcom, if the trend continues it will probably get a single season. Though if it stabilizes and finds a dedicated and consistent audience it could hang around longer.

Its sad because Benoist is fantastic in the role.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Given the state of broadcast TV in 2015, a 1.7 L+SD rating is really not anything to draw doom-and-gloom conclusions from. I'm not even sure a, say, 1.4 would be.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

1.7 is not "just over" 1.

Also SHIELD was pretty dull this week. I don't care about Andrew and his 5 minutes of previous screen time.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 11, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Barry Convex posted:

Given the state of broadcast TV in 2015, a 1.7 L+SD rating is really not anything to draw doom-and-gloom conclusions from. I'm not even sure a, say, 1.4 would be.

Depends on the network. On the CW or cable that's fine. If you're talking about Supergirl on CBS that's worse numbers than Constantine got in the same time frame.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Depends on the network. On the CW or cable that's fine. If you're talking about Supergirl on CBS that's worse numbers than Constantine got in the same time frame.

Constantine premiered at 1.4, averaged below a 1.0, and was at 1.0 for its third episode, so not really.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

David Tenant looks so evil and slimey in it. It's going to break all the Who fangirls cry.

You underestimate fandom. Those fans are probably going to love him :barf:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

1.7 is not "just over" 1.

I read it was 1.2.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

I read it was 1.2.

http://bfy.tw/2kFS

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

You can't apples to apples Constantine and Supergirl.

Constantine was a show that NBC pretty obviously wasn't sure what to do with as it got next to no promotion and started in the lovely Friday night spot.

Supergirl is meant to be a flagship show that was given a prime spot on Mondays and given massive amounts of promotion, including an initial lead in of one of the biggest shows on TV.

It's not doing poorly, but it's definitely not doing anywhere near what CBS wanted. Supergirl will get a full season order and probably a second season but if the numbers don't settle, it could be looking at a Friday kill off next year.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The Zoom vs Flash fight in the latest Flash was awesome and brutal. Really well made stuff

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
And I'm not happy to see Supergirl doing not well, because I for one am really enjoying the show and want to see where it goes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

RevKrule posted:

You can't apples to apples Constantine and Supergirl.

Constantine was a show that NBC pretty obviously wasn't sure what to do with as it got next to no promotion and started in the lovely Friday night spot.

Supergirl is meant to be a flagship show that was given a prime spot on Mondays and given massive amounts of promotion, including an initial lead in of one of the biggest shows on TV.

It's not doing poorly, but it's definitely not doing anywhere near what CBS wanted. Supergirl will get a full season order and probably a second season but if the numbers don't settle, it could be looking at a Friday kill off next year.

I think the timeshift numbers will also play a big part in deciding what happens to it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

The renewal/cancellation equation just gets more and more complicated every year, and it varies from show to show depending on things like production costs, audience demographics, and whether or not the network owns it (ABC's Marvel shows have that advantage; Supergirl does not).

That's not to say that L+SD ratings are now irrelevant, because that's clearly not the case, but it's also true that they're not the be-all and end-all that they once were, especially in a world where live TV viewership declines every year and the networks appear powerless to reverse that trend. There's a reason why we're midway through November and not a single one of the new fall shows has been officially cancelled yet, which would have been all but unimaginable even two years back.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And there's always the simple question of does the executive with renew/cancel authority like the show? Smart executives these days probably try to not watch their own networks and make decisions on business only, but there have been shows in the past that just kept running because the guy in charge liked em.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If half of what I hear from people who worked in TV is true, that's generally been the rule and not the exception.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Did I miss a plot point somewhere where Team Arrow has non lethal bullets ala SHIELD? I ask because I was wondering why they make a big deal of Thea and Sarah killing people that they were unloading real bullets into during the same fight. Hard to argue that they are taking non lethal shots when they aren't exactly getting their victims immediate medical attention.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You know what I literally forgot that Sarah was literally capping guys left and right before she crossed the line and snapped some goon's neck. That's hilarious.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I believe the logic is that if you see Green Arrow or Speedy (usually) arrow someone in the upper-body, it's a 'non-fatal shoulder wound', and Black Canary just clubs guys with her nightstick. No idea what the logic is for Dig, though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Gaz-L posted:

I believe the logic is that if you see Green Arrow or Speedy (usually) arrow someone in the upper-body, it's a 'non-fatal shoulder wound', and Black Canary just clubs guys with her nightstick. No idea what the logic is for Dig, though.

Digg doesn't kill, just like Batman.

https://youtu.be/1byycwl8qgc

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Diggle has been using tranq bullets since the beginning of the season. There's been no muzzle flash or gunshot sound to any of his shots.

I'm honestly surprised more people haven't noticed this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Usually there's a throw away line about using tranq bullets when shows do this, which I don't remember hearing ever.