Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Oh god, did we make North Korea decades earlier than expected? :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

While I keep witchering (with a side-dish of Skaven) instead of updating, let me just say that this is a cool LP well worth reading if by coincidence you are reading this and like Paradox LPs.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The mainstream media has been writing a lot about the joint Hanseatic-Jinshan peacekeeping operation in the on-going Shoshone civil war. A humanitarian mission that is way too late, but gets our politicians points for pissing off the Aztec Embassy.

It is bullshit and regular readers of these newsletters have already seen it coming. King Bao has been rattling his sabers for a long time already, but knows the Hansa won’t back another war with the Aztec Empire, not while Tapazoc rules, so a north campaign it is. The west coast of the Shoshone will be living space for Chinese settlers.

And most importantly for the Hansa: The Shoshone will lose their ports, so even if a rogue government ends up in power, they will be forced to trade through Hanseatic railways. The weather, terrain and Selatani government of Yingzhou simply won’t work for them.

This is part of a bigger trade war between Tawantinsuyu and the Hansa, since the later has just finished building a canal allowing shipping to cross between the Pacific and Atlantic and you know this means a lot of taxes going directly to the coffers of Neubauten’s main rival.

Of course, their main arena is Africa, but you’d be wrong in thinking that Neubauten’s purpose in making parts of the Namibian desert integral states of the federation is a strike against Cuzco. You would even be wrong in thinking this is to legitimize the white settlers staking claim to the desert’s mines. This is, actually, a move in a long game against Morgan Industries.

You see, the Morgan family, so the history goes, originally hails from those deserts. One of their ancestors was the prince of an Ovambo tribe who ruled over the area, but lost a war against their rivals and were sold as slaves to the Hansa in Mosambik. Due to the old feudal law that dominates the highest echelon of Hanseatic power - which I certainly do not have to explain to regular readers - , this means that the Morgan dynasty has a claim over the area, but it being a state of Neubauten means that any attempts to enforce this claim would mean war, so the Morgans have to stay put.

-------------

I can’t be the only one who has noticed that Lady Reason has changed. As we all know, a cabal of Greek Pantheists have manipulated European states for the longest time, something we can see from how the so-called “national personifications” are always Athena waving local symbols.

Lady Reason’s body is fuller, like a recent mother, her eyes kinder, a giant atop plowed fields and clean cities with a court of happy workers: nature and industry in full bloom. There is no doubt that this is no longer Athena, wise goddess of war, but an enemy much more insidious.

It is Gaia, of course. Gaia, the Mother. Gaia, the Titan. The Titans that were kept under lock and key by the Gods, overthrown in a divine revolution. Why is Neubauten courting the blessings of an antediluvian deity?

Communists.

This is my theory, and one that may as well be proven right and wrong at the same time: The Ministry of Public Marketing has been infiltrated by communists. We all know that Papists consort with that deviant ideology and the on-going elections is their chance to win the propaganda war.

Don’t doubt it, this is just another front of the shadow war, another guise for spies and demagogues.

And generals. We all know what happened in India, that they had dared to dream, but their dream is nothing more than a cult of personality around Kima ila-Sunga, who has promised them victory in war and prosperity at home. They will have neither, just the fate to die as one, each a tool in one of Shiva’s countless hands, forever dancing creation and destruction.

To that I say: They Shall Not Pass. And so should you.

Or we will end like the people of the Holy Roman Empire, destitute, ravaged by enemies and inner strife, a stone throw away from seeing our great - if corrupted - nation collapsing.

I write again and I urge you to repeat these words to yourself as you read them: They Shall Not Pass.

-------------

This will be my final newsletter in a long time. I am being followed and the safety of not only myself, but also my readers, is on the line. None other than Delta Grün is pursuing me now to silence the truth and what truth have I discovered!

Neubauten is no longer a free nation, that is something we can all agree on, but it is important that this fact is kept in mind as we go forward in this final message.

Even the most innocuous things are a threat to each of us, man, woman, youth, elder or beast, for each thing holds a lie. For example, the scientists boast of how X-Rays will save many lives. What they will not tell you is that, with the aid of Selatani techniques, these X-Rays can be used to read the minds as well as the bones of those unprepared to resist them. Soon mandatory X-Rays may become the norm and they will taint each and every one of our descendants with the marks of Selatan.

The shadowy cabal ruling Neubauten is not like Lübeck’s, whose leadership knows there is nothing good to be gained from consorting with the dead continent, but not all hope is lost. Simple tinfoil covering under one’s hat suffices to stop their spies from delving into your thoughts.

But I digress. Let us concern ourselves first with the mundane matters: Weir Lüneburg is our president, chosen by the liberals after negotiations with the communist conspiracists. He’s part of the Inner Circle of the Hansa, one of the old families. His appointment is supposed to be a sign to the Hansa that Neubauten still wants to be seen as part of the club, despite its flirtation with disaster.

We all know this is another attempted treachery, the leadership of Neubauten is far too hungry for the forbidden fruits from the apples of the Garden to truly follow the Hanseatic path.

Rather, our leaders are setting us up into the path of ruin through their thirst not for scientific knowledge, but scientific necromancy. As above, so below, said Descartes, and this is reflected into the politics of our age, as great powers pursue more intricate alliance chains, chains that when colliding may set the whole world ablaze.

It truly is a disastrous time when even the Aztec Empire, once the anti-civilization, embraces reason and progress while our once great nation flirts with cataclysm.

Some of you may have heard of another war in the territories of the Golden Rus, mostly neglected by our newspapers, but the most important war of this decade, if not century.

For it has been the first time that Selatan Besar, that workshop of graves, has gone to war since its founding as a nation. But how, those of you with familiar with geography, would the isolated continent fight in the steppes?

Why, they flew in. Not with magic, but with flying machines capable of carrying men and cargo alike. It will not be long before a similar design reaches Neubauten thanks to its partnership with that enemy of civilization and I would be confident to bet that the mechanics department of Miskatonic will take the credit for this invention when it reaches our shores, so that our undeserving magnates may look down upon us all from their winged carriages.

But back to the war, thanks to the eldritch technology at his disposal, it will be a swift campaign for the Khan-In-Yellow, who will claim victory from atop a pyramid made out of the skulls of his extras.

Even an alliance with communists would be preferred than our current path. You know the news from India, either from the radio or the newspapers, of how the communists have attacked the Hansa and I still insist that they would be better consorts than the Selatani.

Even if the communists regard their citizens as nothing more than instruments to be sacrificed in factories and battlefields, nothing more.

So just like the Hansa, but incompetent. Still human in their exploitation of their fellows.

The Selatani, on the other hand [...]

[...] Imagine if you will a machine capable of thoughts and feelings and aspirations. That is what the ancient Selatani are, trapped within their glass and their incomprehensible machinery. The contemporary Selatani are men and women, made of flesh not very unlike our own, but they have allowed the ghosts haunting their continent to convince them that the human body is but a machine made out of cells rather than gears. A machine that like any machine can be understood, reverse engineered and improved through technology until it has become something else.

That is what the Selatan stand for, the end of the human race. But it is not all, you see, what they truly int-[...]

++Fragments recovered from the residence of the Steiner family after an accidental fire++

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Diplomatically discuss the project
The great awkaening has come, but we will not dance among the stars with Lord God and Lady Reason if we are not allowed to share in their glory. We hope that our allies in the dead continent can be persuaded to tells of what they've learned deep below the ground.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

mcclay posted:

Diplomatically discuss the project
The great awkaening has come, but we will not dance among the stars with Lord God and Lady Reason if we are not allowed to share in their glory. We hope that our allies in the dead continent can be persuaded to tells of what they've learned deep below the ground.

Yes, we must continue with the research, we must reach the exalted heights of Old Seletan!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Kima ila-Sunga, really?

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Destroy it. The goals of the Seletani have moved from communication to mind-control, and we cannot allow this to stand.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The fact that this is even being debated speaks poorly of our moral leadership.

Destroy it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Destroy it.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Use diplomatic channels.
While it would be preferable if the leaders of Selatan Besar were more upfront with their many projects, it is understandable that all states and nations have their securities. They have not betrayed us yet, so we should give them the benefit of the doubt.

I mean, they're not the Yian after all.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Everyone with Stupid Newbie Bonzi Buddy avatars should count as just one vote

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I want to say papal-communism is fantastic.

Too bad Bharatiya seems to not have taken the Syndicalist route.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Look, this whole "messing with Elder God technology" seems like a terrible idea if it's going to result in mind control. Let's destroy the device and pretend this never happened.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Yeah that's enough of that. Shut it down.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'm sure Diplomacy is the answer. or so the glass told me.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Better safe than sorry: destroy the device.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
Use Diplomacy. Nothing could go wrong with this plan. Nothing at all.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Destroy! Destroy!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Diplomacy. Please, are we some sort of wiffle-waffle cowards who back down from a course of action at the slightest tinge of unease? We set out on this path, and we should have the guts to stick with it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Diplomacy

What reason have we to distrust Selatani technology? This isn't the Yian we're dealing with.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

PurpleXVI posted:

Diplomacy. Please, are we some sort of wiffle-waffle cowards who back down from a course of action at the slightest tinge of unease? We set out on this path, and we should have the guts to stick with it.

Diplomacy. I want to see where this goes. :suspense:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Use Diplomatic Means

Are we truly to oppose hope?

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Destroy it

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Diplomacy will save lives as it always has.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

Use Diplomatic Means

Are we truly to oppose hope?

Hope? There is no Hope amongst the Selatani. Destroy the machine!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

GSD posted:

So I want to say papal-communism is fantastic.

Too bad Bharatiya seems to not have taken the Syndicalist route.

Oh, they have, actually. and they even gained the rest of the Indian cultures as accepted during the conversion. A thing to keep in mind is that during the second rant the author had been bribed to write anti-communist propaganda during the elections, so he was painting the worst possible description of the Bharatiya - which is not entirely different from how Neubautener media describes the Indian communists given their hostility to the Hansa. You can see how in the last part, when Steiner had ran afoul of the government, she talks about the governments of Neubauten and the Bharatiya as being pretty much the same, which while not an endorsement of communism is a different tune, though I am not certain that came through in my writing, since I was very tired by that point. I mean, most of my narrators are unreliable, either through ignorance or on purpose and that is pretty much the best part of doing multiple points of view through the LP.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Diplomacy is the answer.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Diplomatically ask if we can share in cosmic glory.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Destroy it!

We must dissent.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Break that poo poo DOWN.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
This is not our concern, let's focus on economics instead. It's all we're really good for.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Destroy it

Remember what happened when we licked it last time??

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
Destroy it

We've made some dumb mistakes trying to control/work with this Cthulhu stuff.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZearothK posted:

Oh, they have, actually. and they even gained the rest of the Indian cultures as accepted during the conversion. A thing to keep in mind is that during the second rant the author had been bribed to write anti-communist propaganda during the elections, so he was painting the worst possible description of the Bharatiya - which is not entirely different from how Neubautener media describes the Indian communists given their hostility to the Hansa. You can see how in the last part, when Steiner had ran afoul of the government, she talks about the governments of Neubauten and the Bharatiya as being pretty much the same, which while not an endorsement of communism is a different tune, though I am not certain that came through in my writing, since I was very tired by that point. I mean, most of my narrators are unreliable, either through ignorance or on purpose and that is pretty much the best part of doing multiple points of view through the LP.

Ah! I had interpreted Kima ila-Sunga as an implication that it decided it needed a dictatorship.

Good to hear. Syndicalist India is fantastic.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Destroy it.

Really now? Come on, it's just not a good idea to mess with it.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Destroy we've entertained this foolishness long enough.

The success of the Altaic Republic and the formation of the Bharatiya Union do please me.

Rejected Fate fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 10, 2015

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Diplomacy is key. What have our faithful allies done to make us distrust them?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Diplomatically discuss the project.

Perhaps, just perhaps, we can convince the Selatani that allowing themselves to be possessed by the psychoelectric remnants of the dead is a bad idea.

After all, the ancient Selatani did manage to reduce their civilization to a tiny barbaric remnant scattered over a continent they left a barren wasteland, so there seems to be room for arguing that they should be seen more as examples of what not to do than as reliable mentors.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Destroy it

Where there is death, there can be no hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Diplomacy

• Locked thread