Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ShadowMar posted:

no its ok you can totally be gay*

*but only after you have a forced straight marriage and a child

That does seem like the most 1950s way to do it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
Like every other game, I'm not really planning out my build at all. Just kind of taking random stuff that seems good at the time.

I'm glad my 50's-esque lawyer lady picked up a magazine for facial tattoos and was like "y e s" out loud.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

ShadowMar posted:

romance dialogue is a charisma check and you can fail it due to complete random chance

Realistic!

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

What can be said about Fallout 4 that can't be said about Fallout 3? I feel like I've been on ice for -7 years and have been woken up just in time for a combat patch.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

ShadowMar posted:

yeah, you can romance some companions and they're all bisexual of course but make sure to level up your charisma because the romance dialogue is a charisma check and you can fail it due to complete random chance

That's something at least. :unsmith:

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Fish Fry Andy posted:

The scrapper perk under intelligence gives you the ability to scrap weapons for screws, which is incredibly useful and makes the endless sea of pipe rifles somewhat useful.

Thanks! :)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Harrow posted:

Speaking of Lasers-And-Science, anyone have tips for keeping your power armor within easy access? It seems like the best way to do it is to leave it at a settlement, explore an area on foot, and then fast travel away and back with your power armor if you need it, but that feels extra clunky to me.

I just left mine with the cat trader. I like to imagine he uses it to keep his kitties safe from raiders.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Has anyone played with the Syringe Rifle? How effective is it and is it worth investing in crafting the ammo?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
So how bullet-spongey are the enemies on Survival difficulty?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i like how the opening narration was done by my character's husband and then he gets shot 10 mins later

bethesda ruins the ron perlman tradition in The Most Comically Inept Fashion Possible

Smol posted:

So how bullet-spongey are the enemies on Survival difficulty?

extremely bullet-spongey

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

I am weirded out as well about the whole son missing plot. The first interaction with the factions plays out strange where you are approaching a firefight and amazingly only one party shoots at you and not both. Even after brawling your way up the building and meeting the fancy hat man he totally blows you off in your quest to find your missing child and instead asks you "the random passerby" to singlehandedly kill every loving raider in Boston, lead an army and build/manage every goddam settler outpost in the city. Then when someone in the group finally perks up and gives you some super loving vague lead to your child quest he tells the woman to gently caress off because she is high on drugs.

I liked it better when the MacGuffin was called the G.E.C.K. and not Cowboy Garvey blowing smoke up my rear end.

But I didn't come here for the writing. I came here to shoot nukes at supermutants and look good doing it.

Some Notable loving awesome improvements to the series:
- Looting doesn't suck
- Weather is loving cool
- Traps are much more surprising
- Gunplay is much more fluid and accurate
- Crafting is far more useful

poo poo I could do without:
- Giving me that cruch power armor suit so drat early in the game like I have ADHD and need the excitement now
- This loving dog would have been better if Ocolot trained him. He gets in the loving way of everything and blows stealth like its his job.
- I didn't need anno in my fallout.

And Strange poo poo I don't even know what the gently caress:
- Total lack of ramp up quest conflicts. You go from one puch death radroaches to 10 raiders fight to 100 raiders fight.
- NPCs are asking you to fight wars singlehandedly for 50 caps.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Flying Milton posted:

What can be said about Fallout 4 that can't be said about Fallout 3? I feel like I've been on ice for -7 years and have been woken up just in time for a combat patch.

Everybody has Boston accents. :v:

Everything old is new again! Hurray!

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

ShadowMar posted:

extremely bullet-spongey

Like fallout-3-ghoul-reaver bullet spongey?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
It's apparent that Bethesda does try to improve their writing and storytelling, even if they still do a poor job. Which tells me that they must desire to have good writers developing story content and dialog. So that got me wondering. Is there something about how Bethesda is structured that makes it a place that good writers would not want to work at? George Ziets worked there for a while and then left. I think there are couple other good game writers that have worked there and left before as well. Maybe the problem isn't individual talent but more of a managerial problem.

To be fair there are some good writers and quest designers at Bethesda. Emil Pagliarulo did write the Oblivion Dark Brotherhood storyline after all, as well as designing the Life of the Party level for Thief 2. Actually this might be a good example of my point. He's lead designer of FO3 and 4, but I don't think those games represent the quality he's capable of.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 10, 2015

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

Doggles. Beautiful, wonderful, doggles for my dogmeat.

Frankenoodle
Jun 6, 2015

Everybody's talking at me
OMG, WTF, Steam. I wanted to move this game to my SSD, so I made a new SteamLibrary folder on my SSD, copied all of the files there. Uninstalled it from where it was, then clicked "Install" and chose the library on my SSD.

"You do not have enough disk space available to run this game."

The files are already there! Just verify them! I only have 21 GB free on the drive now, and it's a 25 GB game.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Smol posted:

that's what legendary enemies are yes

strong bird
May 12, 2009

The best part about this game are the birds

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

theblackw0lf posted:

It's apparent that Bethesda does try to improve their writing and storytelling, even if they still do a poor job. Which tells me that they must desire to have good writers developing story content and dialog. So that got me wondering. Is there something about how Bethesda is structured that makes it a place that good writers would not want to work at? George Ziets worked there for a while and then left. I think there are couple other good game writers that have worked there and left before as well. Maybe the problem isn't individual talent but more of a managerial problem.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Smol posted:

yeah, legendary enemies are on par if not worse than them

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Todd Howard is undermining my fun with his face, and his decisions

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

The loading times, oh god the loading times bethesda why

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Frankenoodle posted:

OMG, WTF, Steam. I wanted to move this game to my SSD, so I made a new SteamLibrary folder on my SSD, copied all of the files there. Uninstalled it from where it was, then clicked "Install" and chose the library on my SSD.

"You do not have enough disk space available to run this game."

The files are already there! Just verify them! I only have 21 GB free on the drive now, and it's a 25 GB game.

Did you try and reinstall or did you "verify files"

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

The keybinds in this game are really hosed. I don't use WASD, which is just fine everywhere else aside from like, free garbage flash games.

Unfortunately Fallout 4 has about as much care put into it as the latest newgrounds hit. You can change the keybinds, but they only change for that very specific action and not for every other use of the button, which you cannot change at all.

Let's say you want to rebind the use key away from E. Your new key will work fine for activating poo poo in the world and picking trash off the ground. But everywhere else, like in the menus, or grabbing things out of containers/off bodies? It's E forever. God help you if you've rebound some other function to E, like move forward, because then some actions become literally, completely impossible. The game will just not allow you to do them anymore. What the gently caress? You'd also better hope that E is in a place that you can comfortably reach.

This wasn't a problem in Morrowind, Oblivion, FO3, New Vegas, or Skyrim. Or any other video game I have ever played. I don't understand how they could screw this up so badly. I've switched to using a controller even though I'd rather not because dealing with the keyboard is infuriating.

On a related note, why are the menu keys insanely inconsistent? If I want to close a menu, it could be Esc, Tab, Right Click, Left Click, V, or god knows what else. Why???

Vargs fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 10, 2015

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Vargs posted:

On a related note, why are the menu keys insanely inconsistent? If I want to close a menu, it could be Esc, Tab, Right Click, Left Click, V, or god knows what else. Why???

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I had no idea I could customize my wife/husband as well. Also, when do I encounter my first vendor?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Have you tried: get a gamepad like some sort of modern civilized person.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

is there any way to get a vendor in a settlement that doesn't start with one

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Yes I have no goddamn idea what is going on with the keybinds and shortcuts in this game, it's like it was designed by someone from another dimension with completely alien hands and expectations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How is Hard difficulty? I'm tempted to play on Hard because of the increased chance of running into legendaries, which seems fun, but I also have very little patience for bullet spongey enemies.

I'm also probably not going to sneak because lasers and I'm gathering that playing on higher-than-Normal difficulties without sneaking might just be an exercise in frustration.

Confirm/deny?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Harrow posted:

How is Hard difficulty? I'm tempted to play on Hard because of the increased chance of running into legendaries, which seems fun, but I also have very little patience for bullet spongey enemies.

I'm also probably not going to sneak because lasers and I'm gathering that playing on higher-than-Normal difficulties without sneaking might just be an exercise in frustration.

Confirm/deny?

Even on normal enemies get ridiculously bullet spongey. I've been tempted to knock it down just for the sake of not having to get 5 head shots to kill anything or get 3 reloads of point blank double barreled shotgun blasts into even trash enemies sometimes.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Harrow posted:

Confirm/deny?
very hard maximizes the chance for legendary enemies while not making them quite as bad bullet sponges as survival

yes that is the only difference between very hard and survival, three times the amount of health for enemies, A+

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Why is anyone even talking about the story yet anyway? The game has been out for like less than 20 hours. Did people speedrun the whole game and then hate the story or just play the opening and hate the whole story or what?

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Game arrives today. Should I let it have its way with me or wait until there's a patch that fixes some bugs?

I know the answer already don't I

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why is anyone even talking about the story yet anyway? The game has been out for like less than 20 hours. Did people speedrun the whole game and then hate the story or just play the opening and hate the whole story or what?

both, the story is loving atrocious

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Crappy Jack posted:

You can also romance freely and there's no jealousy checks, so even though the game starts you off in a monogamous heterosexual relationship, by the end you can be playing a polyamorous bisexual single mother.

So long as the RNG doesn't make it so your Charisma check fails and the character decides they don't want to be in a relationship with you.

Can I romance Mr Codsworth?

This is very important.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Everdraed posted:

Doggles. Beautiful, wonderful, doggles for my dogmeat.

How do you give dogmeat stuff to wear? Because I've got a bunch I don't know how to apply.

Just had my first wtf moment
"No really, I am the General."
"Oh poo poo!"
*runs*

Why did you make me kill you Fake Preston

Or was that Actual Preston

Wait..
Did I just kill Actual Preston?! :psyduck:

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Developers furious at this one weird trick to undermine the concept of "street date"

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

So far my only huge issue is that the UI is likely the worst I have seen since GTA4 and Saints Row 2, what the gently caress were they thinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ShadowMar posted:

both, the story is loving atrocious

"as someone who played a 50 hour game story in less than 18 hours while not sleeping let me tell you about how bad this story is"

• Locked thread