Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExtraFox
May 22, 2003

~all of these candy~

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

We're looking to rent a house in an area that doesn't have much of a rental market and houses that do come up for rent get snatched up within hours of being posted. I can't really spend all day refreshing craigslist/zillow or trawling neighborhoods looking for for rent signs, is it worth hiring a realtor to help find something or would that be a tremendous waste of money?

I can't answer the realtor part, but it's worth adding NextDoor.com to your website list. I found my carriage house there by setting up email alerts for whenever a rental was posted. Got the email, called the number, toured a day later, and got the best place I've ever lived. Completely anecdotal, I know, but if you subscribe to the area you want to live in, it's an awesome way to find active, good landlords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

We're looking to rent a house in an area that doesn't have much of a rental market and houses that do come up for rent get snatched up within hours of being posted. I can't really spend all day refreshing craigslist/zillow or trawling neighborhoods looking for for rent signs, is it worth hiring a realtor to help find something or would that be a tremendous waste of money?

I think a lot of single family home rental agents get a commission from the landlord for the rental, so it may not cost you anything, and they will likely be pretty plugged in. The downside is they may only show places that they stand to get a commission from.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
So we might've found something, but I feel like we're missing some huge red flags but I can't pinpoint what they may be. The house is in a desirable nice neighborhood, recently built (2006), all hardwood floors, top of a cul de sac, no neighbors to the rear, seems perfect except that it's been on the market forever in a part of town where houses get snapped up immediately. Looking at the ad it seems they had an open house yesterday and it still didn't get rented so they dropped the price today at which point it dropped into our price range and it's now definitely underpriced for the neighborhood. I googled the house to see if anything bad had happened there that was scaring people away, and saw it's been bought and sold 3 times since 2012 and one of the owners only had it for all of 3 months. 3 months seems awfully short for the bank to repossess for a foreclosure so those people must've wanted to GTFO for some reason, then the next people only owned it for less than 2 years before peacing out, at which point the current owners bought it and are now trying to rent it out.

What sort of things would cause no one to want to keep this house? Ghosts? We haven't been inside yet, we're waiting to hear back from the landlord to set up a showing so it could become glaringly obvious why no one wants it when we step inside, but for now we're mystified. The pictures in the ad all look normal but they could still be hiding something.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

So we might've found something, but I feel like we're missing some huge red flags but I can't pinpoint what they may be. The house is in a desirable nice neighborhood, recently built (2006), all hardwood floors, top of a cul de sac, no neighbors to the rear, seems perfect except that it's been on the market forever in a part of town where houses get snapped up immediately. Looking at the ad it seems they had an open house yesterday and it still didn't get rented so they dropped the price today at which point it dropped into our price range and it's now definitely underpriced for the neighborhood. I googled the house to see if anything bad had happened there that was scaring people away, and saw it's been bought and sold 3 times since 2012 and one of the owners only had it for all of 3 months. 3 months seems awfully short for the bank to repossess for a foreclosure so those people must've wanted to GTFO for some reason, then the next people only owned it for less than 2 years before peacing out, at which point the current owners bought it and are now trying to rent it out.

What sort of things would cause no one to want to keep this house? Ghosts? We haven't been inside yet, we're waiting to hear back from the landlord to set up a showing so it could become glaringly obvious why no one wants it when we step inside, but for now we're mystified. The pictures in the ad all look normal but they could still be hiding something.

It could be a scam where the people advertising it are not the ones who own it. It could be the same scam but they just collect the applications fees. They could just be novice landlords that have unreasonable expectations of renters like no guests or want a single person. Before paying any money for an application fee or deposit try to find out if they really own it or are property managers in your state.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

lampey posted:

It could be a scam where the people advertising it are not the ones who own it. It could be the same scam but they just collect the applications fees. They could just be novice landlords that have unreasonable expectations of renters like no guests or want a single person. Before paying any money for an application fee or deposit try to find out if they really own it or are property managers in your state.

I didn't get a very good vibe talking to the dude (he didn't seem landlord-y or like he was interested in renting the place at all) and he was like "I dunno it might already be rented I'll let you know tomorrow". I did some internet stalking because I was home sick and bored and he seems to be the actual owner and googling his name doesn't turn up any red flags, he's just not a very good salesman I guess. It's not rented through any company, the sign in the yard is just one of those "for rent" signs you can buy at Home Depot with a hand written phone number on it. If we end up doing a showing and seeing a lease I will make sure to read every word, because you've probably hit it on the head that the lease probably has some unreasonable clauses in it.

There are a poo poo ton of ads on Craigslist with pictures of nice looking houses with an enticing description, then you scroll down and the rest of the ad is just gibberish word salad to trip every housing search possible. I'm avoiding those because they're definitely scams. This one isn't one of them, I dug through Craigslist to find this house to check even though it initially popped up on Zillow just in case.

I emailed one of the big property management companies around here asking what they might have coming available soonish and what I was looking for but never heard back.

This is the first time we've been house hunting where we both have good paying jobs at the same time with good credit scores and it's the hardest time we've ever had finding a place :suicide:

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I just moved within my building to a larger unit. The new unit is next to the elevator shaft on a higher floor- and I can clearly hear the low hum of the elevator's machinery in the room adjacent the elevator shaft. It wouldn't be so bad if it was a steady, constant or white noise, but it's kind of resonant and the loudness pulses every 4 seconds or so. Thing is, this is probably normal operating noise. I really love this unit besides- if I could just dampen the noise a little it would be perfect. What options do I have for soundproofing the concrete wall I share with the elevator shaft?

I don't think there's any sense in applying a green glue/drywall combo or foam directly to the concrete wall- I'm pretty sure the vibrations would simply travel through, but I'm not a skilled enough handyman to know how to get around this.

If there's a more appropriate thread I apologize- I looked!

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Poizen Jam posted:

I just moved within my building to a larger unit. The new unit is next to the elevator shaft on a higher floor- and I can clearly hear the low hum of the elevator's machinery in the room adjacent the elevator shaft. It wouldn't be so bad if it was a steady, constant or white noise, but it's kind of resonant and the loudness pulses every 4 seconds or so. Thing is, this is probably normal operating noise. I really love this unit besides- if I could just dampen the noise a little it would be perfect. What options do I have for soundproofing the concrete wall I share with the elevator shaft?

I don't think there's any sense in applying a green glue/drywall combo or foam directly to the concrete wall- I'm pretty sure the vibrations would simply travel through, but I'm not a skilled enough handyman to know how to get around this.

If there's a more appropriate thread I apologize- I looked!

Do you happen to live in my building? I also live next to an elevator shaft.

I will say, you get used to it like you get used to the noise of a city.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
The random thunks from doors opening or elevators braking are completely normal background noise to me and don't bother me. The hum of the machinery is just a little irksome. Imagine a baritone hum that oscillates in loudness every 4 seconds, from barely audible to hard to ignore.

Even a few dB in reduction would be enough to tune it out completely. The problem seems to be the shared wall is poorly insulated concrete that resonates/vibrates- as if there's no pocket of air/insulation decoupling my wall from the elevator shaft.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there anywhere that has good resources on pet deposit laws? Our roommate moved out, took her dog with her, but the leasing office says they aren't returning her pet deposit until we move out, too. We had them steam clean some stains the dog left, and now they are charging us for that while holding the pet deposit.

I know there is joint liability on the security deposit, but I don't think we signed anything related to her dog.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there anywhere that has good resources on pet deposit laws? Our roommate moved out, took her dog with her, but the leasing office says they aren't returning her pet deposit until we move out, too. We had them steam clean some stains the dog left, and now they are charging us for that while holding the pet deposit.

I know there is joint liability on the security deposit, but I don't think we signed anything related to her dog.

Generally, everything is either security deposit or rent. So if it is a pet deposit, it is still a deposit, and can be used for any damages, not just ones created by the pet. It's just extra deposit. Deposit doesn't have to be released until after final walkthrough, keys turned in, etc. So it's unlikely you will get it back until you move. Also, the landlord typically is not legally allowed to touch the deposit until after you vacate. So if they steam cleaned, they have to charge you, the law won't allow them to deduct it from the deposit as long as you occupy the unit.

ps Not a lawyer, your laws may vary, etc

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Are you all on the same lease or separate leases? Same lease, you just gotta tough it out till you all move out. If a dog becomes a resident at any point during the lease the deposit is applied to the full term of the lease regardless of how long the dog stays there.

If she was on a separate lease she'd be entitled to her deposit back but that doesn't seem to be the case.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It was the same lease. I'm wondering if the fact we never signed the pet agreement would make a difference. Probably not.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It was the same lease. I'm wondering if the fact we never signed the pet agreement would make a difference. Probably not.

It makes no difference. Additionally, any damages or cleaning for the pet can come out of the security deposit, it's not just limited to the pet deposit.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
So it's getting cold and all our windows are shut and I'm noticing a STANK in some rooms of my apartment. This is our second winter with two dogs and I'm kind of sick of my apartment having weird smells all the time. Any good tips/products? I vacuum regularly and wash my hardwood floors about once or twice a month during the winter. Do Glade plug-ins just kind of add to the general smell of a room? Does stuff like Air Effects actually work?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Eponine posted:

So it's getting cold and all our windows are shut and I'm noticing a STANK in some rooms of my apartment. This is our second winter with two dogs and I'm kind of sick of my apartment having weird smells all the time. Any good tips/products? I vacuum regularly and wash my hardwood floors about once or twice a month during the winter. Do Glade plug-ins just kind of add to the general smell of a room? Does stuff like Air Effects actually work?

Are you changing your HVAC filters regularly? They can trap a lot of smells and then recirculate them when the system runs.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Are you changing your HVAC filters regularly? They can trap a lot of smells and then recirculate them when the system runs.

I have radiated heat, but there's a poo poo-ton of dust in them because how the hell do you clean those?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Eponine posted:

I have radiated heat, but there's a poo poo-ton of dust in them because how the hell do you clean those?

No idea.

Open your windows regularly. This is extra important with newer construction (don't know how old your place is, but either way it's important) because they are built so tightly these days there just isn't a lot of air exchange with the outside. With radiant heat, you're not even circulating the air that well, so it's probably even more important to get fresh air in there often.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Do you have a hygrometer to see what the humidity indoors is?

High humidity indoors + poor circulation = stank.

A cheap (but decent) hygrometer can be bought here: http://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-00613A1-Indoor-Humidity-Monitor/dp/B0013BKDO8

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It's two dogs in an apartment, I'm not sure how much further we have to look. What do they sleep on? Go take a big whiff of that.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Eponine posted:

To get dog smell out I'd try washing your curtains and cushions and pet beds with an enzymatic cleaner. I've heard good things about Natures' Miracle as a cleaner to get dog-smell out of things.

I'd then sponge your sofa and rugs with the same cleaner, or sprinkle baking soda over everything, give it a rub in with a damp cloth or brush and then vacuum it up once its' dried - baking soda is a decent deoderant and is pet-friendly.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Oooooh I have Nature's Miracle for accidents, but I totally forgot it could be used for bedding/soft surfaces! This is actually a game changer in our house.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Eponine posted:

My mom--who is a neat freak--likes the Arm & Hammer carpet deodorizer stuff. You just sprinkle it over the carpet, let it sit for a bit, then vacuum it up.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Thanatosian posted:

My mom--who is a neat freak--likes the Arm & Hammer carpet deodorizer stuff. You just sprinkle it over the carpet, let it sit for a bit, then vacuum it up.

Wear a mask or something over your mouth if you use this stuff. Don't make the same mistake I did the first time I used it. It does work wonders though.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
After a bad run with KMart attempting to score some bookshelves on the cheap, where do you all recommend to get some decent shelves? I'm a little worried about doing the Craigslist thing since there's the threat of bringing something in with bedbugs apparently, and I would like some adjustable shelves since I have odd-sized books. What price range should I be looking around?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

RedMagus posted:

After a bad run with KMart attempting to score some bookshelves on the cheap, where do you all recommend to get some decent shelves? I'm a little worried about doing the Craigslist thing since there's the threat of bringing something in with bedbugs apparently, and I would like some adjustable shelves since I have odd-sized books. What price range should I be looking around?

Bachelor special. They have them in 2x2, 1x4, 5x5, and 4x4, too.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
The bedbug concern is on soft items - couches, etc, etc. Hard items that you can clean pretty well, I wouldn't be worried so much about bugs.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Not true. Bedbugs can wedge into joints of dressers, desks, etc. However, if you can douse it in a cleaner shown to kill bed bugs, great, or if you can leave it in a hot spot in the sun or a hot car for a bit to kill them, that's great too.

I don't buy anything that was kept in a carpeted bedroom.

Don't freak out though - there's always some risk, but it can be minimized! Buying old stuff from older people and nicer neighborhoods does help, as does a cautious eye to corners and joints. The simpler the furniture, the less likely anything is to hitchhike.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Eponine posted:

If you have dogs and carpet you should invest in a carpet shampooer, at the very least one of those spotbot things but preferably a whole upright big one (we have a Hoover Steamvac). I honestly don't know how I survived without one before. Not only do they get various dog fluids out of carpets but they do a drat good job at pulling up hair that's wedged way deep down there that the vacuum misses.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Speaking of vacs, anyone have a recommendation for a hand-vac or similar for small cleanup (rugs, don't feel like getting the swiffer out, whatever)? My old crappy vacuum gave up the ghost a few days ago and the carpet in my current place is gonna get manky, but I'm moving to a carpet-free place a couple months from now.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Speaking of vacs, anyone have a recommendation for a hand-vac or similar for small cleanup (rugs, don't feel like getting the swiffer out, whatever)? My old crappy vacuum gave up the ghost a few days ago and the carpet in my current place is gonna get manky, but I'm moving to a carpet-free place a couple months from now.

I have a Shark Rocket for stuff that doesn't require getting out the big vacuum. It's a full vacuum but you can just grab the top bit to suck up a little bit of stuff, you don't need to use the whole thing every time you have something you need to vacuum up.

Godline
Jun 17, 2013
So was just given my months notice which I'm not complaining about landlord is within her right to do so the basis for it is where my issue comes from.

she's a psychiatrist and works from home part time hours ad hoc between 9-9 Monday to Friday during these hours she requires complete silence within the household. The girlfriend walked past the living room (doubles up as her therapy room) and went to cook something in the kitchen as she opened the kitchen door the landlords dogs got out and made some noise within the hallway.
few hours later girlfriend is confronted with the landlord being quite aggressive.
I get a text requesting a sit down informal meeting on Sunday just gone.
landlord explains how she thinks we don't understand how quiet we have to be, I called her out about how the excessive noise was from the dogs and that if there was any risk to them disrupting her work she should leave them outside.
She then got arsey and said she didn't like my tone so notified us of our departure date.

sorry for the wall of text just wanted to see if I'm being unreasonable. Its a 3 bed house in central London with every room rent out bar the living / working room.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Godline posted:

So was just given my months notice which I'm not complaining about landlord is within her right to do so the basis for it is where my issue comes from.

she's a psychiatrist and works from home part time hours ad hoc between 9-9 Monday to Friday during these hours she requires complete silence within the household. The girlfriend walked past the living room (doubles up as her therapy room) and went to cook something in the kitchen as she opened the kitchen door the landlords dogs got out and made some noise within the hallway.
few hours later girlfriend is confronted with the landlord being quite aggressive.
landlord explains how she thinks we don't understand how quiet we have to be, I called her out about how the excessive noise was from the dogs and that if there was any risk to them disrupting her work she should leave them outside.
She then got arsey and said she didn't like my tone so notified us of our departure date.

sorry for the wall of text just wanted to see if I'm being unreasonable. Its a 3 bed house in central London with every room rent out bar the living / working room.

It is unreasonable to expect complete silence 12 hours a day.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
A contract agreed upon between two parties needn't be reasonable as long as both parties agree. You (apparently) said you'd maintain complete silence and were unable to do that. She gave you your walking papers (with what appears to be the legally required notice). You should both walk away with a lesson learned, yours is that you shouldn't live somewhere where someone requires complete silence, and perhaps hers that she shouldn't rent out two rooms and run a psychiatry practice in the livingroom,

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also you didn't say what the length of the contract was. If it was a month to month lease, then no reason is necessary to terminate with proper notice. Alternatively phrased, she can terminate it for any non-illegally discriminatory reason. It would be different if she's terminating the contract early, in which case the conditions you agreed to would apply.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

Godline posted:

Contact the CAB and they'll be able to help more than randoms on the internet

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Hello! So I'm trying to move to Seattle in the next few months. I'd be looking at studios and one bedrooms because like many goons I am alone, so alone. I had a couple questions:

1) Is trying to find a new rental in December, especially mid or late December, a really dumb idea? I don't personally have any holiday plans because my family is all far away but of course most people do. I could bump things to January I guess.

2) How come pretty much all online apartment listings are for openings that start RIGHT NOW or in a couple weeks? How do I find openings more than a month ahead of time?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Most places don't know what they have available more than 30 days out due to tenants giving 30 days notice. You can get places further in advance near colleges since they rent by semester/year usually.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

HondaCivet posted:

Hello! So I'm trying to move to Seattle in the next few months. I'd be looking at studios and one bedrooms because like many goons I am alone, so alone. I had a couple questions:

1) Is trying to find a new rental in December, especially mid or late December, a really dumb idea? I don't personally have any holiday plans because my family is all far away but of course most people do. I could bump things to January I guess.

2) How come pretty much all online apartment listings are for openings that start RIGHT NOW or in a couple weeks? How do I find openings more than a month ahead of time?

You could probably email property managers for a shot at finding out, but the rental market here moves very quickly, and a lot of places just roll leases over into a month-to-month lease once the first year is up, so there's not really much of a way to know when things are going to open.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

That's what I figured. So I should pretty much just put in my own 30 day notice and go from there? Am I going to be screwed by picking the middle of December?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
So at least in Chicago, winter is the off-season for rentals and I've gotten really good deals by doing apartment shopping and moving during the winter rather than in the summer. A lot of heat here is radiated through the building, so they'd rather have the unit full and paying some rent rather than partially heat an empty unit and not collect anything on it.

Alternatively, just live in this modern hellscape.