Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Reason posted:

Anyone got anything thats really great for a person who is on a 25 carbs or less kind of diet? I'm having a lot of trouble cooking dinners for my wife. I'm mainly a pasta kind of person and so pretty much what I've been doing is making pasta, making pasta sauce and also making zoodles(I'm sorry if you also know what a zoodle is). Anything else that can be easily separated like the pasta or if anyone has any experience cooking for this kind of diet and has some recipes handy I would be really happy, thanks!

Have you tried ricing cauliflower. It seems to be a favourite among low carb folks, and I can imagine it's ok as a substitute for rice.

Edit: Actually cauliflower is pretty great all around, for mashing or making gratins. If I had to go low card it would be a staple together with broccoli.

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

You can use shredded mozz too, but yeah, the plate should be hot enough to melt cheese. You can pop it under your broiler if you want.

I can only get mozzarella balls soaked in brine/water here, it takes quite a lot to melt it in my experience. I usually have to spend an hour or so with them sat in multiple sets of kitchen paper to soak up all the moisture from them as well, since otherwise I get puddles on my pizzas =/

Anyways, thanks for the help!

Scientastic posted:

Carbs are just the best.

A few years back a friend of mine tried the Atkins diet. He used to just eat whole plates of bacon and sausages, which seemed like a pretty hosed up way to lose weight. It worked a bit, but he had to stop because he started smelling weird, and turning yellow.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Every year, I make Nigella's Christmas pudding, and it is very very good. I always do the cooking in two rounds, a three hour steam a month before, and a three hour steam on the day.

My dad has asked me to cook one for him (I don't spend Christmas Day with him), but he definitely won't want to steam it.

If I do the steaming for him a couple of days before, how much will the pudding suffer for being microwaved?

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Reason posted:

Anyone got anything thats really great for a person who is on a 25 carbs or less kind of diet? I'm having a lot of trouble cooking dinners for my wife. I'm mainly a pasta kind of person and so pretty much what I've been doing is making pasta, making pasta sauce and also making zoodles(I'm sorry if you also know what a zoodle is). Anything else that can be easily separated like the pasta or if anyone has any experience cooking for this kind of diet and has some recipes handy I would be really happy, thanks!

I would stick with pasta dishes that you toss the pasta into at the end. Like, if you make shrimp scampi you cook the shrimp with garlic. Before you put pasta in, take half and put it on a salad. Then add pasta to the rest.

I also just checked and you can get a serving of pinto beans for 18g, so make everything for tacos, then put yours on a tortilla and hers on a salad.

And like someone said earlier, cauliflower is pretty great. I do mashed potatoes with half potato and half cauliflower sometimes and it works pretty well.

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice

Scientastic posted:

Every year, I make Nigella's Christmas pudding, and it is very very good. I always do the cooking in two rounds, a three hour steam a month before, and a three hour steam on the day.

My dad has asked me to cook one for him (I don't spend Christmas Day with him), but he definitely won't want to steam it.

If I do the steaming for him a couple of days before, how much will the pudding suffer for being microwaved?

Our family's Christmas puddings are always made in advance of the day, given everything else that is going on with getting Christmas dinner on the table, and as long as it is only in the microwave for a short burst, it should be fine. Granted, our puddings are always served with warm custard and/or hard sauce so any dryness that might have occurred during the microwaving is probably hidden by the saucing.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Has anyone read through "The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science". Thoughts?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

CrazySalamander posted:

Has anyone read through "The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science". Thoughts?

I bought it a few weeks ago and granted I'm not an expert cook yet but it's really good. It's just like the column online but in book form with more information and such. Covers a good amount of cooking too. I don't regret buying it at all.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

That reply isn't going to get him a good mark on his book report.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science is an attempt to bring scientific methods to bear in the forum of the kitchen. Perhaps previously considered the realm of the pretentiously named "molecular gastronome", an increasingly large number of techniques employing methods more at home on the benchtop than the countertop. The concept is that, by using a more scientific approach to food, one's home cooking can be improved, where previously classical techniques would have had to be learned, practiced and repeated to ensure perfection. Now, anyone with a water bath and a will to talk about umami can become a wonderful home cook, publicly lauded, secretly derided, but always popular.

How's that?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science allows you a method to get the Food Lab (tm) content without navigated a terrible web 3.0 interface.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone have a good brown gravy recipe? Also tips about making a roux, I have only done it a few times.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Equal parts fat and flour = roux. Thus, 1 T butter + 1 T flour. Melt/heat the fat, then sprinkle the flour over it. The longer you cook the flour in the butter, the darker the roux. Then you add some beef stock/drippings (fat removed) to make a brown gravy. The more you add, the thinner your gravy, but the longer you simmer it, the thicker and more delicious it will get (and saltier, if your stock has salt in it).

So, typical brown gravy recipe:

2 T fat (either butter or fat from meat)
2 T flour
2 C drippings (fat removed) or stock

Heat the fat to melt, sprinkle the flour over the fat and cook it until brown (it's brown gravy, you want brown roux). Gradually whisk in liquid, bring to a low boil, and then simmer until desired thickness, season to taste.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Do you have to stir the roux constantly? I feel like I've heard that. Do I have to keep stirring constantly once the stock has been added?

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Do you have to stir the roux constantly? I feel like I've heard that. Do I have to keep stirring constantly once the stock has been added?

Yeah you have to stir the roux pretty much constantly which will be about 3-5 minutes since you're not going for super dark gumbo roux or anything, but once the gravy is simmering, you can stir occasionally. Keep in mind, "constant" stirring is not necessarily standing there stirring the entire 3-5 minutes (you can go longer if you're up for it, just reduce the heat so you don't burn the flour). You are mostly keeping an eye on the pan, stirring every few seconds to make sure the flour is getting evenly heated and not going to burn in any one spot. Make sense?

psychokitty fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 10, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I generally stir pretty much the whole time because a blonde roux isn't really a process you can walk away from, so why not. Once it gets a little color and a nutty smell, start adding liquid.

I add the stock in batches, whisking so I can get all the lumps out, then adding more before it gets too thick to mix in well with the additional stock. You will eventually get a feel for it. Once all the stock is added, as long as oyu don't have lumps of roux left, you can just stir occasionally. Always make sure you bring it to a boil because that's where rouxs reach the max thickening power.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Which just says that 20 years ago someone from the Times asked a random doctor and he said it was true. If a major news outlet asking a random doctor was a standard of proof, we'd all have to accept that Korean fan death was true too. And if you consider the Times an authority, perhaps you'd also be interested in a a more recent (2006) article on the subject that comes to the conclusion that the jury's still out on the subject (it notes, among other things, that the formulation of teflon cooking surfaces has changed, and traces the current wave of concern about the subject to a Dear Abby letter from a guy whose parrot died).

I mean there's a vague air of plausibility to it all: PTFE does experience thermal breakdown above cooking temperatures, and the various breakdown products that are outgassed are pretty nasty. But if you want to get from vague plausibility to a specific conclusion (cooking on teflon pans kills birds) you need actual evidence. And if you look at most of the stuff that's offered as evidence, it's just people repeating arguments for the vague plausibility of the thing, or anecdotes of birds that died. It's kinda like kids dying of botulism from honey. It's one of those things everyone just `knows' is true, so when there's no other convenient explanation that suggests itself, that's the checkbox that gets ticked. And every time that checkbox gets ticked, it's one more piece of `evidence' to support the theory, which makes it more likely that the next guy will jump to that conclusion as well.

I mean yeah don't overheat your Teflon cookware. And what the gently caress is anyone doing trying to sear on it anyway---it's a lovely surface for searing. But if you're looking to covertly assassinate some birds you might want to look for a more proven method.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

SubG posted:

Which just says that 20 years ago someone from the Times asked a random doctor and he said it was true. If a major news outlet asking a random doctor was a standard of proof, we'd all have to accept that Korean fan death was true too. And if you consider the Times an authority, perhaps you'd also be interested in a a more recent (2006) article on the subject that comes to the conclusion that the jury's still out on the subject (it notes, among other things, that the formulation of teflon cooking surfaces has changed, and traces the current wave of concern about the subject to a Dear Abby letter from a guy whose parrot died).

I mean there's a vague air of plausibility to it all: PTFE does experience thermal breakdown above cooking temperatures, and the various breakdown products that are outgassed are pretty nasty. But if you want to get from vague plausibility to a specific conclusion (cooking on teflon pans kills birds) you need actual evidence. And if you look at most of the stuff that's offered as evidence, it's just people repeating arguments for the vague plausibility of the thing, or anecdotes of birds that died. It's kinda like kids dying of botulism from honey. It's one of those things everyone just `knows' is true, so when there's no other convenient explanation that suggests itself, that's the checkbox that gets ticked. And every time that checkbox gets ticked, it's one more piece of `evidence' to support the theory, which makes it more likely that the next guy will jump to that conclusion as well.

I mean yeah don't overheat your Teflon cookware. And what the gently caress is anyone doing trying to sear on it anyway---it's a lovely surface for searing. But if you're looking to covertly assassinate some birds you might want to look for a more proven method.

Fine, here, have an actual clinical study. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7103205

Teflon kills budgies at least.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Anyone able to access the full paper? I am dubious about the abstract and since I sold out from academia I can't get papers.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Re: dead bird chat, anecdotal whatever whatever but one of my brother's parakeets passed out and later died the same night that mom forgot a nonstick pan on the stove and let it rip to scorching.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Fine, here, have an actual clinical study. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7103205

Teflon kills budgies at least.
Or one study came to that conclusion 33 years and a couple product reformulations ago. You can find a number of studies identifying problems with pyrolysis of PTFEs from the late '60s through the '80s, but that isn't necessarily relevant to teflon products produced in the last couple decades.

I mean it might be. I'm not saying yeah guys we totally know teflon doesn't kill birds. And, like I said earlier, there's an air of plausibility about the claim. But that's not the same thing as saying we have actual evidence to support the claim. The FDA and EPA, for example, haven't found enough scientific basis for the claims to make any statements about the safety of using PTFEs in cookware, for example, and it ain't for lack of looking.

Turkeybone posted:

Re: dead bird chat, anecdotal whatever whatever but one of my brother's parakeets passed out and later died the same night that mom forgot a nonstick pan on the stove and let it rip to scorching.
The problem with this is that there's no way of isolating, in this kind of case, the effect if any of whatever is coming off the cooking surface itself versus everything else that's inevitably getting volatilised at the same time---residues of cooking oils, poo poo on the burners, whatever. And that's positing that leaving the burner on had anything to do with it at all.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

SubG posted:

The problem with this is that there's no way of isolating, in this kind of case, the effect if any of whatever is coming off the cooking surface itself versus everything else that's inevitably getting volatilised at the same time---residues of cooking oils, poo poo on the burners, whatever. And that's positing that leaving the burner on had anything to do with it at all.

Uh, did you read anything at all? Cooking oil, etc. aren't used. Clean burners, clean pans. 6 control birds, who were subjected to plain aluminum pans, upon autopsy, no lesions. 26 birds subjected to PTFE pans, all died, had lesions.

quote:

Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), a synthetic polymer widely used as a nonstick surface in cookware, releases toxic pyrolysis products when exposed to excessive heat. Thirty-two budgerigars (Melopsittacus undulatus) were exposed to pyrolysis products of either heated PTFE cookware or plain aluminum cookware in a specially designed exposure chamber for given periods. Clinical signs were recorded and necropsies were done on all birds at the termination of each exposure period. The PTFE products caused acute respiratory distress and rapid death in many of the exposed birds. At necropsy, lesions were seen only in the respiratory tract--extensive pulmonary hemorrhage and congestion.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Uh, did you read anything at all? Cooking oil, etc. aren't used. Clean burners, clean pans. 6 control birds, who were subjected to plain aluminum pans, upon autopsy, no lesions. 26 birds subjected to PTFE pans, all died, had lesions.
I don't think Turkeybone's Mom killed his brother's parakeets in a controlled environment.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone have a bangin breakfast casserole recipe they want to share?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

NESguerilla posted:

Not really casserole, more of a custard but this is something I posted in another thread that I make pretty regularly.

That Works posted:

4 well baked sweet potatoes-peeled and mashed. (I find that you can pressure cook these in a steamer basket for 30m and they come out perfect for mashing).
18 eggs
1/2 tbls vanilla extract
1 soft banana- mashed.

Add the ingredients together, mix together very well with a hand mixer until it resembles cake batter consistency, you want it to be a pretty even mix, no big clumps.

Pour batter into a greased baking dish (unsure of my size, its a bit bigger than an 8x16" dish though), lightly dust the top with a few shakes of nutmeg and cinnamon

Bake for 90 minutes at 325F.

Cool and cut into 6 pieces, wrap each in plastic wrap.

This makes 6 servings with approx 3 eggs worth of protein and some nice starch in there from the sweet potato. It's a super fast breakfast and will work especially well for people who lift / work out in the morning and want to eat a good amount of protein right afterwards.

I tried to make this savory by removing the banana and adding in some breakfast sausage and a few pecans for some consistency changes. It didn't work well with the sweet potato but worked very well with butternut squash instead. Bonus as butternut is getting insanely cheap now for the next few months. You could also top with bacon/ cheese / whatever but I found it best to keep pretty simple.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah, my mom makes this thing around the holidays that we call 'breakfast lasange', even though there are no noodles or red sauce in it. I'll post it when I can dig out the recipe.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Can we talk about nutloafs? I want to make one tonight and I think I have a rough idea of where to start.

This is what my base recipe will be: http://www.thekitchn.com/winter-recipe-classic-vegetarian-nut-loaf-102222

I think instead of doing the mushrooms like they're outlined I might go with Kenji's duxelles method. I'm thinking about adding brown lentils as well (cooked?)

Any other suggestions/changes?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

SubG posted:

Well, since you seem hellbent on remaining sceptical in the face of various studies and statements from doctors, toxicologists and chemistry professors, there's obviously only one way to proceed. You're gonna need a bunch of budgies, a bunch of different types of frying pan, a kitchen stove, an enclosed space and a gas mask. You can get to the bottom of this!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

With grits, is the final yield more or less the volume of the liquid? And by constant stirring do we mean stir regularly or force one of my friends to stir it while I'm finishing other things?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Grand Fromage posted:

With grits, is the final yield more or less the volume of the liquid? And by constant stirring do we mean stir regularly or force one of my friends to stir it while I'm finishing other things?

I'm not 100% certain about the yield but I do believe the final is more than the volume of liquid. Not quite as much as rice would expand, but I recall some expansion.

As far as stirring, once you get the initial clumps out and let things simmer, stirring isn't as important IMO. You will want to make sure that not too much sticks / burns on the bottom if you're trying to thicken them up under a fairly high heat, but it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Grand Fromage posted:

The final volume is essentially the volume of the grits + the volume of the liquid - a little evaporation. If you add the grits slowly to the boiling liquid while stirring (whisking is best), you won't get clumps, and you won't really need to stir that much if you keep the heat low (which you should).

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
Help me with trout, goons.

I have some trout fillets from my local fishmonger. I got quite a few of them, because I remember cooking fresh lake trout when I went fishing with my dad as a kid. But these fishes just don't seem to have a lot of flavor - either that, or I'm remembering wrong. I like hearty flavors, particularly in winter - so the basic "add butter and lemon, stick it in the oven, done" isn't really doing it for me (besides, I've used that preparation several times already). For instance, I like cooking shark or swordfish because those are steaks I can really stick some flavor on. I eat anything, so I'll keep eating them, but I am getting a little bored.

The fillets are frozen now. They have skin on them.

I'm a basic cook so, uh, hopefully there's something I can do that doesn't involve all day. I live in a large city with access to incredibly fresh things from all over the world, so ingredients aren't a problem.

Thoughts on trout?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

A good easy way to cook trout is to finely shred some vegetables, garlic, ginger. Put this on a sheet of grease proof paper, put the fish on top with some fish sauce, lemongrass, chillies, whatever. Fold up the package and put in the oven for about half an hour.

Open up the steaming fragrant package and serve the lot over noodles.

gallilee
Jul 24, 2001

Imagine when you're about to get your dick sucked by the alien from aliens and she's like "ahaha guess i gotta bring out my little mouth for this one"
Using the classic Julia Child recipe for boeuf bourguignon means having to brown the meat, but I've seen other recipes recommending the the meat be marinated in wine and herbs for a couple of days instead (no browning) - which is better? Any pros or cons when using the one method instead of the other?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

gallilee posted:

Using the classic Julia Child recipe for boeuf bourguignon means having to brown the meat, but I've seen other recipes recommending the the meat be marinated in wine and herbs for a couple of days instead (no browning) - which is better? Any pros or cons when using the one method instead of the other?

Browning is easily better. Marinating does not really add a lot of flavor, browning the meat really deepens the beefy flavor of the dish.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

gallilee posted:

I toss the beef cubes in seasoned flour, then brown. Makes for thickened sauce at the end with no buerre manie. Browned meat is always better than non-browned. Always. Especially in the bacon fat, per Julia's recipe.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Scientastic posted:

A good easy way to cook trout is to finely shred some vegetables, garlic, ginger. Put this on a sheet of grease proof paper, put the fish on top with some fish sauce, lemongrass, chillies, whatever. Fold up the package and put in the oven for about half an hour.

For me, the best trout is floured and cooked in butter in a cast iron skillet so that the skin gets crispy. Not as easy with fillets, but the flavor will be close.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Scientastic posted:

En papillote is a good approach to delicate fish, but for most pan fish I usually prefer to just pan fry or maybe grill them.

That said, trout from a fishmonger are likely to be farmed, and farmed trout have always tasted blander than line caught to me. So I guess if it was me I'd try the trout from this particular source and if they're gamey (or whatever you want to call it in a fish) like a wild trout I'd keep it simple, and if they're milder go with something more elaborate.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Browning is easily better. Marinating does not really add a lot of flavor, browning the meat really deepens the beefy flavor of the dish.
Agreed. All else being equal a braise or stew will profit the most from generous browning before cooking, and being held (refrigerated) for 24 hours or so after cooking before serving.

Gerblyn posted:

Well, since you seem hellbent on remaining sceptical in the face of various studies and statements from doctors, toxicologists and chemistry professors, there's obviously only one way to proceed. You're gonna need a bunch of budgies, a bunch of different types of frying pan, a kitchen stove, an enclosed space and a gas mask. You can get to the bottom of this!
The abstract to a paper that's more than 30 years old and which I can't even read the full text of, the advice column of the Times, and a puff piece from an alarmist `Toxins!' website that literally cites anonymous email messages as sources. Truly, my skepticism knows no bounds.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Scientastic posted:

I can do this! I have everything but the fresh lemongrass. I'll pick that up tomorrow and give it a try.

If I don't have paper like that, though, will foil work okay?

Edit: gently caress tomorrow. I'm doing it now. I put them in foil, with some fresh minced garlic, chopped carrots, and chunks of fresh ginger I'll pick out when it's done. I added fish sauce and dried lemongrass seasoning, along with some chili oil. I also added some dark sweet soy sauce because I wanted a kick of sweet to the whole mess. I have some thai jantaboon noodles waiting.

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 12, 2015

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Thursday Next posted:

If I don't have paper like that, though, will foil work okay?
Foil is fine in general and is somewhat easier to work with. The main downside (assuming you don't care about presentation) is that acidic poo poo can react with the foil. How much this will matter depends on length and temperature of cooking and the acidity of the food. The effects aren't dangerous, but you can end up imparting a metallic taste to the food, or unpleasant whitish patches where the food contacts the foil.

Looking at your ingredients there's nothing that I'd really be worried about, except maybe the chili oil, which could contain vinegar and therefore be acidic enough to cause problems. But at this point I guess you'll find out for yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Where does one get 25% acidity chinese vinegar?

edit: nevermind
http://www.amazon.com/Vinegar-Essenz-Concentrated-percent-fl-oz/dp/B000LRH7TY