Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

terrorist ambulance posted:

The other thing to do is shoot from the hip while you're running back to the ogre from getting knocked back or having him jump away. I use a master crafted xbow on both wh and dwarf that's accurate enough to shoot on the run and can get quite a few shots off before you get to melee

Also, for the people saying not to use your ranged weapons on ogres, that's not entirely wrong but you still wanna use it. If you get knocked back or are out of range and closing range pop him a few times with your ranged as you close the gap, headshots still take effect and handguns still hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
Basically between trying to keep trash off everyone, killing specials, and dodging/blocking when you pull aggro, EVERYONE should be trying to chip away at the ogre. With ranged as you're closing the gap to his big hairy butte and then swing away with melee when you reach it. Bombs and potions help but they aren't requirements to beat that rat bastard.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Speaking of rogres tactics I got my first Witch Hunter orange and it's an ogre killing machine. It's a one handed axe and at first I wasn't happy (with that being my first orange for him) because I wanted a 2h sword. I figured the lack of crowd control and defensive ability would make it not very good. But one shotting clan rats with a fast attack speed can be better than it sounds and the thing goes to town on rogres. I guess it should have been obvious but "high single target damage + fast attack speed" is a recipe for rogre mincing. Just beat the poo poo out of that fucker with an axe!

Dwarf would be proud I think.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This is also why if anyone goes down during the rogre fight you need to get them up as fast as you can without taking damage. You need all 4 heroes for fighting him if you're going to avoid getting hosed.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

But Not Tonight posted:

Also, for the people saying not to use your ranged weapons on ogres, that's not entirely wrong but you still wanna use it. If you get knocked back or are out of range and closing range pop him a few times with your ranged as you close the gap, headshots still take effect and handguns still hurt.

Probably should avoid using handguns, if only to save them for something more important, like a packmaster.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Vargs posted:

Stop spending the vast majority of your playtime doing sewer runs. Non grimoire + tome levels will give you jack poo poo.

I was utterly baffled when I joined a team of players doing this.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Skandranon posted:

Probably should avoid using handguns, if only to save them for something more important, like a packmaster.

Handguns will probably burn well less than 10 rounds even in a long fight, and the 14 left over should be sufficient to get you to ammo.

Also, WH pistols are definitely good for the rogre because you want to maximize the impact of a strength pot and a bit of separation is good for knowing when it's coming for you.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

xthetenth posted:

Handguns will probably burn well less than 10 rounds even in a long fight, and the 14 left over should be sufficient to get you to ammo.

Also, WH pistols are definitely good for the rogre because you want to maximize the impact of a strength pot and a bit of separation is good for knowing when it's coming for you.

I wasn't suggesting saving it due to ammo constraints, but for having a bullet ready to go when a special pops up during the fight.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So Steamspy claims that just over a quarter of a million people bought Vermintide. That's alright for a 30 dollar game, isn't it?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I purchased it and me and two of my buddies are going to play tonight and get really mad at each other when we die to a Packmaster on the other side of the map.

I mean, I've been looking for a game to unseat dota2 as the game that ends friendships. I think this could be it.

Actually - if there is goon who wouldn't mind holding our hands at first that'd be fun and good. I'll check the steam group tonight or something.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Skandranon posted:

I wasn't suggesting saving it due to ammo constraints, but for having a bullet ready to go when a special pops up during the fight.

Ah, right. Generally I prefer to have a person with a handgun on the lookout for mobs anyway because of their melee weapons, so that person can be the first resort against specials.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Ice Fist posted:

Actually - if there is goon who wouldn't mind holding our hands at first that'd be fun and good. I'll check the steam group tonight or something.

I'd be delighted, feel free to throw a chat request from goonintide. I can't promise I will be around since my schedule tends to be pretty busy but if I have time I would love helping.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Does the secondary fire on the Drakefires do damage to teammates on Nightmare? I've had them this whole time but never actually tested it out.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Stringbean posted:

Does the secondary fire on the Drakefires do damage to teammates on Nightmare? I've had them this whole time but never actually tested it out.

It does not.

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
So to take out orgres range then close in? I getting my rear end kicked doing the Black Powder misison.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

ChaosDragon posted:

So to take out orgres range then close in? I getting my rear end kicked doing the Black Powder misison.

Any mission where a Rat Ogre can knock you off a cliff or into water is automatically horseshit.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I got my hands on an orange repeater pistol (soldier) yesterday, and decided to give it a whirl. While one-shotting small fry with a crowd-piercing weapon is pretty awesome, I was hoping that using the full-auto setting would let me melt through rogres pretty quickly. No such luck. It doesn't seem BAD at it, just not particularly better than a blue warhammer.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Backhand posted:

I got my hands on an orange repeater pistol (soldier) yesterday, and decided to give it a whirl. While one-shotting small fry with a crowd-piercing weapon is pretty awesome, I was hoping that using the full-auto setting would let me melt through rogres pretty quickly. No such luck. It doesn't seem BAD at it, just not particularly better than a blue warhammer.

It does come with the funny little note that Kruber just calls every repeater Ursula, though.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It might be that none of Kruber's options are bad, but the handcannon is so outrageously good that I can't see myself using anything else unless it's nerfed.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
buff the blunderbuss tbh

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Metrohunter posted:

buff the blunderbuss tbh

Buff all the underpowered weapons rather than nerfing the good ones. But also buff the rogre:

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Night10194 posted:

This is also why if anyone goes down during the rogre fight you need to get them up as fast as you can without taking damage. You need all 4 heroes for fighting him if you're going to avoid getting hosed.

Yeah, this is absolutely the case in my experience as well. Even if they're instantly downed again, they were temporarily a target that wasn't you.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
I think the Bright Wizard's spell stick might make her significantly more gear-dependent than other characters. The difference between a white stick's fireball and a blue stick's fireball is either needing a headshot to ko a clan rat, or gibbing three rats in a line with one shot. I was basically useless on Nightmare with a green stick, I was an incredible flank-master and topped out stormvermin kills with a blue one.

The trickle of useful loot is frustrating. There is basically no point to melee weapons that aren't flaming swords with vent-on-hit. Even if you're calling your mace a battle scepter and everyone else has to go along with it because wizard fiat, it's idiotic to use anything that isn't always on fire when that's an option. Spell sticks are rare and I still haven't found a beam one better than white. What's the best way to cheat?

As delightful as it is to lob a big explosion into a big crowd, opportunities to do that without friendly fire are very rare, and just about everybody else also has a fun option to cleave through a dense rat crowd. Bright wizard seems to shine at picking off jumping flanking assholes, especially with infinite ammo and the option to push past her clip limit into the overcharge zone when things are the worst. Also, as other people have mentioned, putting your ever-burning sword to a Rat Ogre's nuts is more effective than shooting fireballs at it. (Charge attack to light it on fire)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Meanwhile I wish I could stop getting blue spell sticks for like 5 seconds to get a goddamn rapier or some new dual daggers. :negative:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Fighting a roger is just a dps race. Use range when you can't melee and always get people up asap because taking 2 seconds to pick someone up means more damage over time.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
If the rogre stood still and let it be a straight up DPS race, melee would win the race hands down. In the real world though, he's all over the place, bonking, jumping, running. That's why the WH pistols are the best use of your narrow strength potion window. Never have to catch up to the rogre. Never have to stop pulling the trigger.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
I'm just going to start referring to the rat ogre as Roger in this thread

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Roger has rogered my entire team a few times, confirmed.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Roger is a bit of a jackass really.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Senethro posted:

This game is beginning to fill up with pubs running exploit lobbies for loot they'll never use because they only exploit.

Had a group today try to exploit the beam. I said "No I want to do this legitimately." And of course the elf leader tried to kick me for it. THen we did it legitimately and succeeded. As we were going down the elevator lift to the exit they initiated a vote to kick me again and try to pooch me out of loot. The second I saw 2 votes for yes what did I do? Threw the only grimoire we had :mrgw:

And they called me an rear end seconds before i got kicked.
Clearly I'm the rear end not the people trying to screw me out of the end reward.

E:

In bloodbowl my Rat ogre is named Aaron Rogers

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Microwaves Mom posted:

Had a group today try to exploit the beam. I said "No I want to do this legitimately." And of course the elf leader tried to kick me for it. THen we did it legitimately and succeeded. As we were going down the elevator lift to the exit they initiated a vote to kick me again and try to pooch me out of loot. The second I saw 2 votes for yes what did I do? Threw the only grimoire we had :mrgw:

And they called me an rear end seconds before i got kicked.
Clearly I'm the rear end not the people trying to screw me out of the end reward.

E:

In bloodbowl my Rat ogre is named Aaron Rogers

Wow, they tried to kick even after you guys made it past the horn and were on the way out? That is insanely lovely. You did the right thing throwing the grim because gently caress those guys.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I've been enjoying this game for over a week now and I think my time playing with pubbies when my friends aren't around can be summed up with this:

Everyone is dead before reaching the horn on the first level on hard.

Player says

"maybe we shouldn't have picked up the second grimoire"

Oh yeah? No poo poo!

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I lied about testing it tonight, and fallout 4 comes out tomorrow. Who knows when exciting science will shed light on this discussion now!

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013

Zephro posted:

Fair enough. I've never self-immolated, I don't know how you can ignore the increasingly high-pitched shrieking sound effects, the flames everywhere, the big red bar in your vision and your character literally saying "Argh, too much magic" etc.

i did it once while fighting a rat ogre, but that was on purpose and I killed the ogre, got pulled up and chugged a potion so I have no regrets.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Everyone was on bleedout, two people were down, and the Rogre decided to just whale on their bodies while me and a buddy wasted him from behind and then saved them and pulled the mission out.

:feelsgood:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
All 3 of my allies died during a Morr's Garden Nightmare run the other day. I'm a dwarf with an axe and shield, drakefires, a medpack, a fire bomb, and a speed potion, and a big loving field to cross to get the elf back. The soldier and witch hunter are just beyond the elf, so if I can get the elf back we're solid. I'm right before the second tome and I could swear to God that the field looks way more full of clanrats than usual.

Gutter Runner starts whispering. I duck into the little area with the second tome, kill a couple of clan rats, and fend off the Gutter Runner with my Drakefires. Start hauling my rear end over to the mausoleums on the left, because I know I won't survive an ambush if one starts up.

Globadier spawns. He pisses off a bunch of distant clan rats and I get into a massive brawl between two mausoleums. I hurl my fire bomb, which is enough to knock out most of the surge of clan rats and put the globadier into suicide bomb mode. I juke the explosion by climbing a ladder, then get attacked by the Gutter Runner again. I push him off with a well timed shield bash, but he smoke bombs before I can follow up. loving dwarf legs.

Hop down on the other side of the mausoleum, take some falling damage. poo poo. The impact manages to draw the attention of about a dozen clan rats. I hang back and start swinging my shield. All's going well until the Gutter Runner shows up again, and I need to back away and start blasting my drakefires everywhere to keep from getting pounced. I burn him again and manage to crisp the clan rats without taking too much damage, but I'm in the danger zone now. Burn the medpack. Just in time for the Gutter Runner to come back for round 4. I push him off me as he comes in, and this time I do manage to follow up. Axe through the skull. Eat poo poo, Gutter Runner.

Now it's just me and another 8 clan rats between me and the elf. No problem. Drakefires kill off 4 of them before they can even reach me, and I've got a shield. 4 more are no problem. Why the gently caress did I just take dama--

Oh holy poo poo. The noise got another 8 in my business. Now I'm surrounded. Clanking. Clanking. gently caress. Ratling gun.

Dodge back. Dodge back. Quaff the potion. Lay into them, slash, slash, slash. They're still all around me, gently caress. Speed potion is messing with my shield bash rhythm. Ratling's about to fire. More drakefires, shotgun blasts all around. Fry, you mother fuckers, fry! gently caress, too hot. Dive at the Ratling. Bash him to death! Okay, okay. Only 4 left, but they're all around me again. Spin like a goddamn top. Throw that shield around. They're only rats, damnit.

Finally, the last one goes down. I've got 15% health left, I've blown all my tricks, but it's finally just me and my ally. Get the elf mobile again. We're gonna do this. The witch hunter and soldier are only a few corners away.

Deep breath. Got a one liner? Guess I do.

"All it took was all I had."

:feelsgood:

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 10, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I finally got a new rapier. And then another. Today I have found 100% more rapiers than the rest of the time I have played this game.

And then rolled near minimum on its killing blow. And its other ability is Endurance. :negative:

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 10, 2015

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
Today in horn of magnus, my team heroically kept me barely alive behind the bench, with me holding a grim and a tome. I repay them by panicing when the elevator comes, leaping off the platform and taking fatal damage.

Rolled an epic mace and shield, left the party in extreme shame.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
I died like a million times as the crusader, although it seems like I was crushing mad rats... not enough blocking? Not enough swiping? What am I doing wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Chomp8645 posted:

Either you have been cursed by a witch doctor to have poor luck that defies all reasonable probability, or you're a goony goon who is exaggerating so he can whine.

Hmm....

I wish I was exaggerating. I've never had more than 3. Ever.
It's become a running joke.

We're doing them on hard. I'd say it feels more rewarding to get a bunch of stuff to fuse from the sewer levels than spending 30 or 40 minutes on a 'proper' level then dying or something.

• Locked thread