Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
William Goldman famously said about Hollywood, "Nobody knows anything."

For wrestling I think that can be refined to "Nobody learns anything." Every mistake made by WCW has since been repeated (mostly by TNA but WWE has gotten in on it too.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Russo didn't help but Bischoff was already enough of a moron to destroy wcw by himself. We're there any wrestling promoters in history who weren't absolute retards in one way or another?
Baba? I guess?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Something I just noticed about the old Nitro intro where some abandoned buildings are catching on fire in a backlot someplace, only one building has any sort of identification and it's this one.

What could it mean?

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
It's where the WCW Power Plant got their supplies of steroids.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I watched the Network version of 2000 Bash at the Beach and goddamn every song is overdubbed practically. Goldberg's theme is dubbed using his WWE song, Jarrett loses the Kid Rock ripoff song and gets some generic twangy rock song, Kronic's theme is dubbed but you really can't tell the difference, and then when Sting comes out they start playing Metallica for like 2 bars and then it too gets dubbed over by some generic horror song. :psyduck:

Did WCW on home video have this problem while they were still around?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

WCW FALL BRAWL FINAL POLL RESULTS (1998)

Thumbs up 1 (00.6%)

Thumbs down 174 (99.4%)

In the middle 0 (00.0%)

I really want to hang out with the one Thumbs Up guy

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You probably don't. He'd drool all over you.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Swagger Dagger posted:

WCW FALL BRAWL FINAL POLL RESULTS (1998)

Thumbs up 1 (00.6%)

Thumbs down 174 (99.4%)

In the middle 0 (00.0%)

I really want to hang out with the one Thumbs Up guy

I also want to hang out with Stevie Ray.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Great White Hope posted:

I also want to hang out with Eric Bischoff.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

1st AD posted:

I watched the Network version of 2000 Bash at the Beach and goddamn every song is overdubbed practically. Goldberg's theme is dubbed using his WWE song, Jarrett loses the Kid Rock ripoff song and gets some generic twangy rock song, Kronic's theme is dubbed but you really can't tell the difference, and then when Sting comes out they start playing Metallica for like 2 bars and then it too gets dubbed over by some generic horror song. :psyduck:

Did WCW on home video have this problem while they were still around?

Most of the licensed music was from people signed to WMG, which was owned by Time Warner, which was in turn headed up by Ted Turner making licensing the music very easy since they were basically licensing it from themselves.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Observer explicitly states that the one thumbs-up guy was NOT Bischoff :v:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Has WCW ever had a good 3-ring battle royal?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Benne posted:

No.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Benne posted:

I liked the World War 3 that Nash won. He kicked the arse of everyone in his ring really quickly and then stood around looking bored waiting to get into the middle one. It also had the spot where Stevie Ray and Booker T, (who had recently split up), faced off against each other, then shrugged and turned around to fight other guys.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The one where Hogan came out #60 after everyone else had been eliminated.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
From the Jan 29, 96 episode of Raw:

Apparently, even though the billionaire Ted vignettes were terrible, the WCW was threatening some legal recourse because in one of them the "Huckster" argued with Billionaire Ted over steroid testing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
WCW, where all the big boys play with each other.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
More fun from Raw Replays:

This is apparently an actual ad that Vince McMahon sent to the WSJ, but it was refused. According to Vince McMahon's voiceover, a modified version ran in the New York Financial Times. I would love to see what it ended up being.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

"In light of WCW & WWF program ratings, we understand your concern about the content of our programs."

lmao

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
drat, Bischoff was savage

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

1st AD posted:

drat, Bischoff was savage

Kontroversy Kreates Ka$h

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Is this thread dead? Come on, gotta keep that WCW spirit alive!

So I watched the Slamboree 2000 episode of OSW Review. It reminded me of a dark time when I didn't have a channel with weekly WWF shows, so WCW was all I had, and it deteriorated fast. The OSW guys had a great observation about one thing that Russo changed about WCW - he buried the cruiserweights. Chris Candido was the cruiserweight champ at the time, a guy even bulkier than La Parka. At the same time, the WWF got some of WCW's best cruiserweights, guys that made people watch WCW. Everything turned into a showcase of cynicism and smugness, a total poo poo circus. What I came to realize after all these years was that Russo doesn't know jack poo poo about wrestling, he knows how to make crash TV, which was hot for a couple of years in the 90s. Also, WCW was terrible and copying WWF's style, while the WWF just got WCW's best under-appreciated performers and basically improved their in ring product, which I think was crucial to their success even to this day.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Watching 1995-96 Nitro, it really is crazy the level of matches they were giving away compared to what you were getting on Raw.

I will also never get tired of watching an entire arena freak out over the Torture Rack. I don't know if I've ever seen wrestling fans quite so happy

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The Torture Rack is probably one of the 5 coolest moves in wrestling. It looks awesome when done well and has a top-tier name.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Was Bischoff drunk when he did his "nWo takes over the announcing booth" spots?

I just watched the episode where Masahiro Chono turned on Sunny Ono and joined the nWo. Bischoff called him "Masa My Hero" about 50 times and did the worst Japanese accent you've ever heard.

I also wonder if those announce desk invasions were pre-planned, because Tony and Tenay looked legit pissed every time it happened.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Problem is the rack looked like poo poo 99% of the time

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Benne posted:

Weirdly enough this was the opinion when F4W reviewed a recent nItro.

Unless you listened to that podcast too and are repeating it.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

triplexpac posted:

Weirdly enough this was the opinion when F4W reviewed a recent nItro.

Unless you listened to that podcast too and are repeating it.

I watch the episodes along with B&V and was thinking that even before listening to the podcast. It seemed pretty obvious even by Bischoff's announcing standards.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
At the Souled Out 97 ppv Bischoff sounds drunk/high as hell on commentary too.

So either that was just his natural way of doing commentary, or he didn't give a poo poo.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rad R. posted:

Is this thread dead? Come on, gotta keep that WCW spirit alive!

So I watched the Slamboree 2000 episode of OSW Review. It reminded me of a dark time when I didn't have a channel with weekly WWF shows, so WCW was all I had, and it deteriorated fast. The OSW guys had a great observation about one thing that Russo changed about WCW - he buried the cruiserweights. Chris Candido was the cruiserweight champ at the time, a guy even bulkier than La Parka. At the same time, the WWF got some of WCW's best cruiserweights, guys that made people watch WCW. Everything turned into a showcase of cynicism and smugness, a total poo poo circus. What I came to realize after all these years was that Russo doesn't know jack poo poo about wrestling, he knows how to make crash TV, which was hot for a couple of years in the 90s. Also, WCW was terrible and copying WWF's style, while the WWF just got WCW's best under-appreciated performers and basically improved their in ring product, which I think was crucial to their success even to this day.

I remember El Dandy challenging Juvi for the cruiserweight title.

He wouldn't be a cruiserweight even if he dieted for 6 months.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
All the Mexicans were pushed as Cruiserweights including Dandy, Parka (who was tall for a Mexican and chubby besides), and Silver King (who was thick and roided AND chubby).

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Benne posted:

I just watched the episode where Masahiro Chono turned on Sunny Ono and joined the nWo. Bischoff called him "Masa My Hero" about 50 times and did the worst Japanese accent you've ever heard.

I also wonder if those announce desk invasions were pre-planned, because Tony and Tenay looked legit pissed every time it happened.

Do you remember which nitro, I wanna see that

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Say Nothing posted:

I remember El Dandy challenging Juvi for the cruiserweight title.

He wouldn't be a cruiserweight even if he dieted for 6 months.

220 lbs is really heavy and Dandy was probably well below that in the 90s.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The last one B&V did, whichever date that was is the one with drunk Eric.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MassRafTer posted:

220 lbs is really heavy and Dandy was probably well below that in the 90s.

I notice from their wiki pages that Dandy was about 5'7" and Silver King 5'9", so under 220lbs was possible. Probably not for La Parka, who was 6'1" though.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
The cruiserweight division isn't about weight limits, it's about no limits!!!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Say Nothing posted:

I notice from their wiki pages that Dandy was about 5'7" and Silver King 5'9", so under 220lbs was possible. Probably not for La Parka, who was 6'1" though.
How much could a skeleton possibly weigh?!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Halloween Jack posted:

I asked a doctor and he just kept saying "ain't no bones about it".

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Halloween Jack posted:

A skeleton of La Parka's size could weigh anywhere between 12 and 648 pounds depending on how much milk he drank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's amazing to think that El Dandy was used maybe once every two months on Nitro despite being one of the ten best wrestlers on that roster.