Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Reverse Centaur posted:

Are you implying that Nexus copied iPhone? Giant phones are Samsung's doing.

Also my 5'1 wife, whose feet are smaller than my hands, has a 6P and has no problem with it.
I'm saying I hope the rumors that Apple is making a 4" phone next time around are true and then manufacturers other than Sony will follow suit.

I'm sure your wife doesn't have any problems because she uses two hands. Over 95% of my usage with the Nexus 5 is with one hand. Sure I can use the keyboard that way, but there's no way I can hold the phone with one hand where I can reach all the soft keys and the notification drawer with my thumb like I can with the 5.

Desk Lamp posted:

I read something about a smaller iPhone coming out next year but it'll be too late for you, you'll be a gigantophone convert by then.
I doubt it. The screen doesn't offer any additional utility for me. After two years I still think the Nexus 5 is too big and that the 4 was the perfect size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

babua posted:

Has anyone gotten their hands on a Blackberry Priv? I've never used a Blackberry, but the build looks good and I just love a hardware keyboard. What are your impressions?
I think a few of us in this thread are interested but not at the current price point. Even $100 lower and I might jump, especially if I can get it through a carrier store with a good return policy; it sounds like there may be some variance in their quality control.

Here's our previous discussion:

The rear end Stooge posted:

I almost wonder if there isn't some wild variance in manufacturing because of specific things that some reviewers say are great and others say are dogshit, like the camera.

CLAM DOWN posted:

This would line up with the BB10 devices, I've gone through Z10s and Z30s that have wildly varied in hardware quality and reliability.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Desk Lamp posted:

Seriously though, have you used the fingerprint scanner on the S6/N5?

No, but my mom and my sister in law complain about it every time phones come up.

I'm sure there's some sort of combination of factors that make it not work well for some people.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
https://plus.google.com/+JeffSchultz/posts/GGNKYPVHham

(this is not me, it's a griptape imposter)

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Thermopyle posted:

No, but my mom and my sister in law complain about it every time phones come up.

I'm sure there's some sort of combination of factors that make it not work well for some people.

That I can agree with. Just a page or two ago we had someone who couldn't get their Nexus to reliably read their fingerprint as well, but that doesn't mean the reader is garbage either.

Banana_Boy
Jul 14, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

The S6 sensor was noticeably worse than the 5s that I've used for 2 years and ended back on fwiw. It failed enough to consider disabling it. The fingerprint scanner/battery life were the main reasons I returned it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Desk Lamp posted:

Haha even I'll admit it can sometimes seem that way. Seriously though, have you used the fingerprint scanner on the S6/N5? I have and it works pretty much like I've seen the Nexus ones work in videos. You'd have to be functionally retarded to mess up using either one and they both work nearly instantaneously. In fact I thought the guy was mistakenly referring to the previous generation scanner at first.

I own and use an iPhone, s6 and 6p (replacement for the 6s) on a daily basis.

The s6 sensor recognition rate is much lower than on my iPhone or my 6p. It annoyed me so much I turned on the smart lock with my watch (which I've never done) to bypass it while maintaining a modicum of security. It's especially bad if you're trying to use it at an unusual angle, like if you're laying in bed or using Android pay. It wasn't unusual to have to try 3 times to get pay to work.

As soon as I got my 6p I turned the smart lock off, imprint's success rate is so high there's no reason to use it.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

uPen posted:

I own and use an iPhone, s6 and 6p (replacement for the 6s) on a daily basis.

The s6 sensor recognition rate is much lower than on my iPhone or my 6p. It annoyed me so much I turned on the smart lock with my watch (which I've never done) to bypass it while maintaining a modicum of security. It's especially bad if you're trying to use it at an unusual angle, like if you're laying in bed or using Android pay. It wasn't unusual to have to try 3 times to get pay to work.

As soon as I got my 6p I turned the smart lock off, imprint's success rate is so high there's no reason to use it.

Basically agree with all of this.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So according to the Anandtech review, the 5X incurs a power penalty whenever something needs to be decrypted from storage. I suppose if the device is awake, this is moot. How does this affect background tasks like music playback while the device is locked?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Negligibly I'd think. The SoC can decrypt data nearly 3000 times faster than is required to process a 320kb/sec audio stream, so it ought to manage just fine on idle clocks.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I just wanted to chime in and say that I'm running a prerelease marshmallow build from XDA Developers on my HTC One m8 and the standby time overnight losses around 1% while I sleep which is neat.

Marshmallow seems to hibernate or selectively disable things better than any sort of combination of greenify, DS battery saver, and amplify while rooted (even on some stripped to the bone roms)

Freezing or disabling (system) apps in the past seem to make everything drain battery/wakelock anyway even though it was disabled.

I had to convert to Google Play edition to run it, I'll try the sense one out later. I don't use blinkfeed or any of that jazz anyway and I like that there's only a hundred or so apps to compile vs I believe 267 on some sense builds.

Sadly there are issues with supersu and rooting still, but I think battery drain is less, so I'll be okay. I think the only thing I miss is some google apps can't be disabled or hidden.

If I wasn't such a compulsive reader or user of the awful app I think my battery would last several days, standby is awesome.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 10, 2015

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
It amazes me that Google STILL cannot figure out how to get the stock alarm app to not get kicked out of memory. Just try to set a timer for 3 hours on anything Lolipop or higher. It won't do it, the app will get kicked out of memory long before the alarm will go off and you'll get a nice big ol' gently caress you from Google.

VVVVV Thanks.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 10, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FlyingCheese posted:

It amazes me that Google STILL cannot figure out how to get the stock alarm app to not get kicked out of memory. Just try to set a timer for 3 hours on anything Lolipop or higher. It won't do it, the app will get kicked out of memory long before the alarm will go off and you'll get nice a big ol' gently caress you from Google.

Use Timely. I've never had it fail to go off.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Sleep as Android works great for me, have never had a problem with it. A bunch of features if you're a weirdo too, including a ton of captcha options and sleep tracking crap if you're into that.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

FlyingCheese posted:

It amazes me that Google STILL cannot figure out how to get the stock alarm app to not get kicked out of memory. Just try to set a timer for 3 hours on anything Lolipop or higher. It won't do it, the app will get kicked out of memory long before the alarm will go off and you'll get a nice big ol' gently caress you from Google.

VVVVV Thanks.

I use the alarm app to wake me up in the morning all the time and it has never failed to trigger. So not sure what is happening on your end.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

FlyingCheese posted:

VVVVV Thanks.

It's worked 100% of the time for me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Torabi posted:

I use the alarm app to wake me up in the morning all the time and it has never failed to trigger. So not sure what is happening on your end.

Same, I used it all the time. I prefer Timely just for a few additional features, but I never had a problem with the stock clock app for alarms or timers. Even set like a 24 hour timer before for something, no issue.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

FlyingCheese posted:

Out of curiosity what device is this?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah even in the worst days of early L on the n5 I've never had that happen once

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Super Dude posted:

It's worked 100% of the time for me.

Me too. I have a daily alarm set and there is a little alarm icon in the right half of the status bar at all times.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I've never had the stock alarm app fail either. There's an API specifically for registering alarm-like events so even if the app itself gets purged from memory the OS will relaunch it on time :shrug:

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/app/AlarmManager.html

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Same here. Even my Galaxy Nexus never had a stock alarm clock failure. And I had it until this past August.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Just to make sure, FlyingCheese was talking about a timer, not an alarm.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Still waiting to find out what device FlyingCheese claims this was happening on. The Samsung Galaxy series is pretty notorious for ejecting apps from memory, for example.

Misc. Android news:

Apple Music is now the latest Android App published by Apple.

Qualcomm has made the Snapdragon 820 official. They claim it will have 100% better CPU performance and 40% better graphics performance.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Well, a timer is practically nothing different than an alarm.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rastor posted:

Qualcomm has made the Snapdragon 820 official. They claim it will have 100% better CPU performance and 40% better graphics performance.

Yes but is it going to burn a hole in my soft nerdy thigh

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
100% better pocket warming for those cold winter nights

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Combat Pretzel posted:

One would think, but then, Google, so who knows.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yes but is it going to burn a hole in my soft nerdy thigh

Logikv9 posted:

100% better pocket warming for those cold winter nights

Specifically they are claiming 2x the performance per watt (at least that's what I parse out), so you can either have another hot phone but it runs twice as fast, or have a phone that's slightly faster and much cooler, which is probably what people would prefer and therefore probably not what the manufacturers will make.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

babua posted:

Has anyone gotten their hands on a Blackberry Priv? I've never used a Blackberry, but the build looks good and I just love a hardware keyboard. What are your impressions?

In addition to what Rastor posted, I think the primary issue is price point and longevity ( of brand and hardware ).

All accounts seem to be that it is a "good phone", everything about it is decent and the keyboard is great for long-form typing.

However, everything Blackberry has said up to this point amounted to "If we don't sell 5 million handsets" ( note that is handsets - not $5m worth ) "we're not going to make hardware anymore". Now all of a sudden they are promising they are never giving up on hardware. So either they realized the marketing fail of they way they spoke previously or enough have been ordered/pre-ordered that they are going to stick around per their "promise". Certainly the latter could be true, I've read reports that they are now pushing out shipment of orders until the last week of November due to "demand".

I think the real appeal honestly is just that it is trying to be different. Even sitting here with my 5x which is also a good phone, it is frankly very boring. This applies to every smartphone in the past few years - the processor and camera gets better but nothing else changes - it's still a slab of plastic/glass/metal with no differentiating factors except the placement of speakers or width of bezels.

I would liken this to anything else new/untested, the early adopter always gets screwed. So I think unless you really have a ton of money to spare/don't care, you're better off waiting until the Priv 2 or whatever.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

TollTheHounds posted:

the processor ... gets better

Unfortunately and irritatingly....going by that Anandtech review, this part is arguable.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's probably something about the alarm being "suspend/freeze until x time, then restore and trigger alarm" whereas the timer is "trigger the alarm x minutes from now" meaning it's got to be checking whether it's x minutes from the set time.

Not programming it to go "alarm at current time + x minutes" is something Google would do.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Out of curiosity what device is this?

Nexus 6 currently running Marshmallow. Unrooted. By the way I'm referring to the countdown timer feature (the hourglass), not the alarm. The alarm (where you set a specific time) always works for me.

hooah posted:

Just to make sure, FlyingCheese was talking about a timer, not an alarm.

Yes.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 10, 2015

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

FlyingCheese posted:

Nexus 6 currently running Marshmallow. Unrooted. By the way I'm referring to the countdown timer feature (the hourglass), not the alarm. The alarm (where you set a specific time) always works for me.

Yes.

Take your phone off of silent mode? There isn't a single Google result I can pull up mimicing this problem.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FlyingCheese posted:

I have set timers up to 24 hours in length on my N6 and no issue whatsoever.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

zolthorg posted:

Take your phone off of silent mode? There isn't a single Google result I can pull up mimicing this problem.

I'm definitely not using silent mode, I never turn that on unless I set the "turn off after __ hours" setting.

I guess I just have a special snowflake N6 with half the memory. :/

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

There's probably something not being divulged here regarding what else needs that memory.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is a 3rd Gen 16GB/2GB Moto G the go to option the the ~$200 price point?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

FAUXTON posted:

There's probably something not being divulged here regarding what else needs that memory.

I almost always use this feature when taking a quick nap (I work very very odd hours), so I'm not using memory intensive apps, or any apps at all for that matter. Nor do I keep anything running that would eat up memory over time barring any bugs in apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

So is there anyone here who ordered a nexus 6p in the first week of preordering who is still waiting on their phone? I placed my order on 10/3 and my delivery window is Nov 10-12 but I haven't seen any shipping notification nor has my credit card been charged. I'm seeing things on various websites where people are reporting similar issues with ordering the phone on launch day and not getting them yet, while people who ordered last week already have them in hand. I ordered accessories with mine (case/cables) so I'm wondering if that has something to do with it? Not really a huge deal since my current s4 works fine, but uh, gimme the phone already, google.