Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

frank.club posted:

In space everyone is black
Only if they skimp on radiation shielding. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Melanin: Nature's Radiation Shielding

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Space is full of Rastafarians, didn't anyone read Neuromancer? Also Frontier, let us install hydroponics bays so we can come back from exploration trips with new and exciting strains of space weed.

Or tea. Can you grow tea hydroponically? Wander the galaxy, meeting explorers 30kly from Sol and refilling their caffeine supplies.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I just want to be able to meet someone 30-40k LY out, EVA over to their ship, swim up the pee-hole and then drop a massive world destroying poo poo in their toilet.

I will be able to do that in Star Citizen.

Star Citizen is going to be such a better game.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Please keep your godawful SC jokes to that hell thread

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

frank.club posted:

:gary: PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRP :yarg: :slick:

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

frank.club posted:

:agreed:

Rectus posted:

Added a question about tractor beams/harpoons. Vote it up if you like fun. :getin:

This one knows what's up.

oRGy
May 8, 2014

amazeballs posted:

Whenever I see discussion about ship/module balance in this game my knee-jerk reaction is to shove my fingers in my ears and LALALALALALAALA because being reminded of the current state of things just makes me sad.

Put the lasers on this ship. Stack the SCBs. Put the lasers on that ship. Stack the SCBs.

There's really no counter-play at all and its kinda dumb.

One day someone will make a space sim game with a combat system that is comparable to the tactical depth of EVE and I will play that game and love it. So far I've seen no indication of that happening with Elite.

Game is still fun though.

This is exactly what bugs me about the game right now. Cool new features are coming, even player groups will probably get to some sort of EVE equivalent in a year or two, albeit in some shoddy and illogical manner.

But balancing ships in any way at all? They don't have a clue, even though they borrowed the hardpoint and module system directly from EVE.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The cool thing is that CQC combat works exactly like you want it to in the main game. CQC is really fun and simple!

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
should i buy this or not if I only have a M&KB/XBO controller

and if so should I wait for whatever the gently caress Horizons is, I think I read somewhere that it's gonna include the original game as well but maybe I'm making that up.

edit: and by original game I mean Elite: Dangerous not the original original game

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

chrisoya posted:

Space is full of Rastafarians, didn't anyone read Neuromancer? Also Frontier, let us install hydroponics bays so we can come back from exploration trips with new and exciting strains of space weed.

Or tea. Can you grow tea hydroponically? Wander the galaxy, meeting explorers 30kly from Sol and refilling their caffeine supplies.

Now I know why I can sell Ceremonial Heike Tea for so much!

Emrys42
Nov 1, 2009
As soon as I started to play this game I was amazed at the detail, the difficulty, and the potential! It's an amazing game the developers ruined by catering to nub players.

This game is so amazing, untill I realized they allow you to play the same character you'd play in the open game, in a private game. I mean you can be a trader(best profit in game) in a closed server where you have no threats really at all if you know the game system, then you can take your profits from that and go into the open game with everyone else and blow them up. There is no trading of anything between players(unless you want to spew your stuff into space to let them pick it up). They built player blockades into the game then allow players to completely avoid them by playing the game solo WTF!?!?! This and a couple other easily fixed game mechanics have ruined it for me after just one day of playing it.

I wish I never supported this game as the game makers have a vision they won't part from and frankly the vision sucks donkey balls!!

Emrys42
Nov 1, 2009

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

and if so should I wait for whatever the gently caress Horizons is, I think I read somewhere that it's gonna include the original game as well but maybe I'm making that up.

edit: and by original game I mean Elite: Dangerous not the original original game

NO!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

HOT rear end isn't required (it's just fun), either mouse/keyboard or a controller work great. Personally I'd go m/kb given the choice, my friend plays on his living room TV with a controller just fine though.

I''d definitely wait for Horizons at this point. You will get the base game with it for free, and it can't be more than 6-7 weeks off now.

Emrys42 posted:

As soon as I started to play this game I was amazed at the detail, the difficulty, and the potential! It's an amazing game the developers ruined by catering to nub players.

This game is so amazing, untill I realized they allow you to play the same character you'd play in the open game, in a private game. I mean you can be a trader(best profit in game) in a closed server where you have no threats really at all if you know the game system, then you can take your profits from that and go into the open game with everyone else and blow them up. There is no trading of anything between players(unless you want to spew your stuff into space to let them pick it up). They built player blockades into the game then allow players to completely avoid them by playing the game solo WTF!?!?! This and a couple other easily fixed game mechanics have ruined it for me after just one day of playing it.

I wish I never supported this game as the game makers have a vision they won't part from and frankly the vision sucks donkey balls!!
Haha, get over it champ.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 10, 2015

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

KB&M works just fine. Even with a stick, sometimes you're just too lazy to use it. There's a guide on Steam (Community Hub > Guides) that presents a really good setup, although there's always a bit of tweaking for personal taste.

Binding middle-click to toggle mouselook isn't in that guide, IIRC, but that and picking a key for 75% throttle were the only major changes I made.

Horizons will include the main game, but if you preorder it you don't get the main game until Horizons is out.

Emrys42
Nov 1, 2009

tooterfish posted:

HOT rear end isn't required (it's just fun), either mouse/keyboard or a controller work great. Personally I'd go m/kb given the choice, my friend plays on his living room TV with a controller just fine though.

I''d definitely wait for Horizons at this point. You will get the base game with it for free, and it can't be more than 6-7 weeks off now.
Haha, get over it champ.

Oh I got over it and Uninstalled the game. easy

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Good on you.

chappey
Jan 21, 2001

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Would you please consider making Docking Computer as a software upgrade, without eating compartment space at all?
:psyduck:

I assume this was downvoted due to being irrelevant to the stream but this is a cool idea. Giving the ship computer it's own submenu and upgrade system would add another dimension to ship customization. Something like being able to tune a ship for faster FSD charges with the tradeoff of having interdictions be more difficult to avoid, poo poo like that. It would go a long way toward having some sense of ownership instead of the interchangeable/disposable nature of ship hulls now.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

chappey posted:

I assume this was downvoted due to being irrelevant to the stream but this is a cool idea. Giving the ship computer it's own submenu and upgrade system would add another dimension to ship customization. Something like being able to tune a ship for faster FSD charges with the tradeoff of having interdictions be more difficult to avoid, poo poo like that. It would go a long way toward having some sense of ownership instead of the interchangeable/disposable nature of ship hulls now.

And don't forget the cosmetics you could bundle into that system. Finally, colour changing without rooting around in the files. Voice packs! UI styles!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

but in 1984 I

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

frank.club posted:

Paaarp..

I had just gotten my second "We don't really want to refund you anything." email from CIG support. They were at the forefront of my mind. I apologize.

:gary::yarg:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Emrys42 posted:

Oh I got over it and Uninstalled the game. easy

No you know what? gently caress you. You reinstall that motherfucker right goddamn now.

If you're gonna hate this game based on THAT poo poo, we're gonna take you on a hell tour, so you can hate it for a GOOD reason, not this petty, wussy bullshit you are mewling at us.

COME, EMRYS OF 42. COME, AND BE WITNESSED. :getin:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Guys

I don't like a thing

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

KakerMix posted:

Guys

I don't like a thing

things are really pretty annoying fo sho

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Guys

I don't like a thing
A golden Sidewinder descends from the heavens and opens its cargo hatch. It jettisons 4t of biowaste before boosting back to the sky.

The biowaste is labelled, "ok."

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

chrisoya posted:

A golden Sidewinder descends from the heavens and opens its cargo hatch. It jettisons 4t of biowaste before boosting back to the sky.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

chrisoya posted:

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYHJY9JZNBA Stream is live, they are showing off the asp scout as I post this so maybe they will be showing the rest as well.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Asp scout:

Cobra Mk IV:

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 10, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Elite Dangerous 1.5: Are their dark-skinned humans (black people) in the Powerplay future of Elite?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Keelback (I really like this one :stare:)

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Reminds me of the corvettes in Homeworld.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The Keelback will probably my go-to ship for travelling around the bubble when I'm back. It's a cute little space bug. :3:

Too bad though I missed everything about the Asp Scout, so I don't know if I should try it or stay with my regular Asp as exploration-boat.

Edit:

:stare: Woah, those Corvette-C4s are close enough for some nasty surprise. And it's more maneuverable then the Anaconda? Whatever that ship hits, will hurt.

It also looks to me like literally the bane of Anacondas: Able to outmaneuvre them with two C4s. Ouch.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 10, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You can rewind the vid.

The Asp Scout is a cut down Asp Explorer, they said if you've already got an Explorer fitted out then it probably won't be much use to you.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

You can rewind the vid.

The Asp Scout is a cut down Asp Explorer, they said if you've already got an Explorer fitted out then it probably won't be much use to you.

Oh come on. :mad: I've had my Asp for almost a year now, I would really like to fly another explorer-ship. But with the Asp having the best range right now, every other ship is like a step back.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I came.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
If you still think the Corvette is going to be a bad investment because of some dumbass reason like it doesn't pack enough class three hardpoints you are dumb as hell and I have proof of it now.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Also the Cutter will have 2x C3 and C2 and a C4.

Reddit has declared it hot garbage.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

^^^ I'm pretty tired of the 2x C3 2x C2 hardpoint setup quite frankly, every medium-big sized ship (FAS, Clipper) has that exact same setup, and adding a single C4 on top of it is kinda meh. I'd rather have more weird setups like the Asp, FDL or the original Federal Dropship

The hardpoints on that Cobra Mk IV ... oh God, oh God. I'm guessing it's "just" 2 medium 3 small, but they look incredibly tight and able to rain firepower on even small targets.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sard posted:

If you still think the Corvette is going to be a bad investment because of some dumbass reason like it doesn't pack enough class three hardpoints you are dumb as hell and I have proof of it now.

And the ship is supposed to be more maneuverable then the Anaconda. I would love to fly the Corvette, just for the fun of flying circles around Anacondas and then blasting them to bits with twin plasma blasts. :3:

• Locked thread