Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leos Klein
Mar 11, 2011

ALL HAIL CARDIEL

boom boom boom posted:

But my brain and hands still completely refuse to do this part of Soldier Game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pJYw9oV-Bc&t=0m58s

It's that one note that's all alone that killed me on expert around that area. For some reason my hand always hesitates to tap it. It took 79 times to actually FC it on expert now I have everything FC'd on EN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

boom boom boom posted:

But my brain and hands still completely refuse to do this part of Soldier Game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pJYw9oV-Bc&t=0m58s

I think I hit a B rank on the amount of plays by the time I managed to FC Soldier Game Hard. The thing about this section is that it's so exclusive to this song; I don't think you can find a similar pattern on any of the other Hard charts, which gives it part of its notoriety.

The Expert chart is way worse. I have this really bad tendency to constantly break my combo with one good or one miss(more than most others), so it took me 145 tries to FC it. The entire chorus is brutal, especially the second half of it.

Now I still have Mermaid Festa 2 and Kokuhaku Biyori EXes to FC. The former I'm very close, the latter I can barely pass even, just because of the first set of crazy double notes.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Oh loving hell. 422 combo on Kokukaku and the chart decides to jump ahead. I hate desync, especially since that's my best run so far. :suicide:

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I'm so close to FCing Soldier Game Expert but my thumbs always tire out near the end with all the double taps. Yes, I intend to FC this song thumbs only! :v:

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

halokiller posted:

I'm so close to FCing Soldier Game Expert but my thumbs always tire out near the end with all the double taps. Yes, I intend to FC this song thumbs only! :v:

My friend is a thumbs only player who's FC'd most if not all of the EX songs. However, she's got a tiny iphone and super tiny thumbs so that might have something to do with it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wait people don't just play with their thumbs?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Wait people don't just play with their thumbs?

That's okay for a standard phone size screen, anything bigger than that you pretty much have to, uh, finger it.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Alternatively, some folks who do use phones of a typical size still opt to play with pointer (+ middle, if the game is sufficiently complex) fingers.
I'm too lazy to be one of those people.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Even on a phone, the tricky stuff is much more doable with fingers. It took me a good week or two to get better with fingers than thumbs, but I was afterwards able to get over the wall I'd hit.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

That's okay for a standard phone size screen, anything bigger than that you pretty much have to, uh, finger it.

I'm actually using a Galaxy Note 2, which is fairly bigger than the standard phone. But then again, I can see how people would use more fingers for a tablet.

I'm just so comfortable hitting the notes with just my thumbs that I can't be bothered to use my other fingers, especially cause I like holding my phone while playing the game.

This is also why I don't play Starlight Stage. The swipes aren't easy to pull off using just thumbs.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I continue to burn 25 LP in the wind as I learn EX charts. Honestly I could pass them so much easier if the jump in note speed wasn't so drastic.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
This game is fun but gently caress phone-game lockout timers. I wish there was a practice mode with no rewards that you could play just for shits and giggles.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Sarrisan posted:

This game is fun but gently caress phone-game lockout timers. I wish there was a practice mode with no rewards that you could play just for shits and giggles.

Starlight Stage or School Idol Festival? I have a couple of links for practice apps on Android for the latter - they're in my opening post.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

This is also why I don't play Starlight Stage. The swipes aren't easy to pull off using just thumbs.

Yeah, it's really weird to me to see people full-comboing Master songs with their thumbs, it looks kind of wrong even as they're doing it. Though, I still can't do it with my fingers anyway because I put my phone down and I don't have a good way to keep it still if there's a lot of slides.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Polsy posted:

Yeah, it's really weird to me to see people full-comboing Master songs with their thumbs, it looks kind of wrong even as they're doing it. Though, I still can't do it with my fingers anyway because I put my phone down and I don't have a good way to keep it still if there's a lot of slides.

get a rubber mat or a phone cover?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I'm actually using a Galaxy Note 2, which is fairly bigger than the standard phone. But then again, I can see how people would use more fingers for a tablet.

I'm just so comfortable hitting the notes with just my thumbs that I can't be bothered to use my other fingers, especially cause I like holding my phone while playing the game.

I've been going pure thumbs with Starlight Stage. Not that great but I've learned and gotten decent at doing Pros (though still quite far from a FC) from practice, familiarization with patterns, and just plain getting better. Also on a Galaxy Note 2, though I started with my Nexus 7 and that was notably harder with just thumbs.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

pandaK posted:

get a rubber mat or a phone cover?

Yeah, I probably would have got a mat already if I randomly saw one but I haven't sought one out. Maybe I'll get someone to get me one for Christmas as soon as I come up with an excuse that isn't 'so I can more effectively touch the screen to the music these Japanese idols are dancing to'.

Actually I still haven't touched the speed settings or switched to 2D mode, which is another thing virtually everyone does in their demo videos.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Polsy posted:

Yeah, I probably would have got a mat already if I randomly saw one but I haven't sought one out. Maybe I'll get someone to get me one for Christmas as soon as I come up with an excuse that isn't 'so I can more effectively touch the screen to the music these Japanese idols are dancing to'.

Actually I still haven't touched the speed settings or switched to 2D mode, which is another thing virtually everyone does in their demo videos.

Yeah, that does honest wonders.
So far in Starlight Stage the best I can FC is some 26-star songs, though some lower-difficulty songs do have some patterns that seem to trip my thumbs up (Kagayaku Sekai no Mahou, Susume Otome[Cute & all attributes]).

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I flip over my mouse pad when I want to fingerpoke my phone. Works in a pinch to keep it from sliding. But it's definitely easier on a tablet to fingerpoke, if only cause of the extra real estate space. My accuracy of poking is less with my fingers.

Aku posted:

I think I hit a B rank on the amount of plays by the time I managed to FC Soldier Game Hard. The thing about this section is that it's so exclusive to this song; I don't think you can find a similar pattern on any of the other Hard charts, which gives it part of its notoriety.

Yeah, even the closest I can think of is on Anemone Heart Normal, but the dots are slow enough there to see what's going on, and it's an easier pattern anyway.
Of course when I started playing I think I slammed my head into this one about 7 times before clearing it - now it moves too slow and I break my combo by anticipating :v:

Now that I can play some of them, I'm definitely feeling the burn of the lack of EX songs on SIF EN...

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Man, gently caress the end of Magnetic Today EX.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Man, it didn't even occur to me that EN might not have a guaranteed SR.

Balls.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Man, it didn't even occur to me that EN might not have a guaranteed SR.

Balls.

That sucks, sorry about your bad roll.

I think one of the options is an always guaranteed SR/UR now, but yeah the recommendation before was to wait for the period between events to do a 11-pull in the EN version.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Allarion posted:

That sucks, sorry about your bad roll.

I think one of the options is an always guaranteed SR/UR now, but yeah the recommendation before was to wait for the period between events to do a 11-pull in the EN version.

I assumed that we, as a people, had moved past this.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

You get a room item (mirror) for reading the caravan tutorial in SS, so do that even if you already know how it works. Assuming you love room items, anyway.

Let's see if I can get someone above 6* for this time around.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Polsy posted:

You get a room item (mirror) for reading the caravan tutorial in SS, so do that even if you already know how it works. Assuming you love room items, anyway.

Let's see if I can get someone above 6* for this time around.

I checked for the sake of seeing who the prize idols were.

The skinwalker makes her entrance. :black101:

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Thankfully, I have better than commons to use for centers this time around. Already got like three Ninas lol.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

cute normie

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Got my new phone! It's a lot bigger so might have to switch from thumbs to fingers now since the 4s is tiny in comparison to 6s. Well, at least I have access to the JPN version again with game center Honoka.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Been playing SIF for a few days and man this game does NOT want me to have a good pure team. 8 rare pulls so far with friendship points and all are cool/smile. Should have enough gems for my first premium pull tomorrow, lets see if the trend continues.

Also gave SS a try and man, I might have to actually upgrade my phone. Game stutters on hard bits even with the lowest 2d settings.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Sarrisan posted:

Been playing SIF for a few days and man this game does NOT want me to have a good pure team. 8 rare pulls so far with friendship points and all are cool/smile. Should have enough gems for my first premium pull tomorrow, lets see if the trend continues.

Also gave SS a try and man, I might have to actually upgrade my phone. Game stutters on hard bits even with the lowest 2d settings.

Learn my lesson, make sure that you do a 50-gem pull only when you're guaranteed a SR or better. It's a matter only of reading, which I apparently can't do.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sarrisan posted:

my auto-fill Pure team has three Smile girls in it. And literally every Pure girl I have is max level

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
My pure team has a couple of SRs but is otherwise Rs which makes it really hard to get S rank on some of the pure B-side songs. One of the many reasons I'm glad this event is a Nozomi event.

squidflakes fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 13, 2015

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Once I get the event Nozomi card, I'll have a Pure team that's actually all Pure cards. Got lucky and pulled two Pure R Makis yesterday which filled in my other long-standing weird spot.

Meanwhile my cool team is a good 4k points stronger...

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Jesus christ, I came pretty close just now.

I curse the existence of that wave pattern. I will never be able to hit that alternating half-circle quickly enough.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
thank you new player bonus. time for my first 11 draw!

no SR but...

I am happy. (Also got some drat pures, finally)

EDIT: also, I have a 4-star Nico already, but got a couple extra 3's in my draw. Is there anything special I should do with them, or are they practice fodder?

Sarrisan fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 13, 2015

Oblivion590
Nov 23, 2010

Sarrisan posted:

EDIT: also, I have a 4-star Nico already, but got a couple extra 3's in my draw. Is there anything special I should do with them, or are they practice fodder?

You can have duplicates in your team, so you might want to start using them. Rares are still much better than normals.

You can also level up skills (but not leader skills) by doing a normal practice. As long as the cards have the same skill name and level, then the practicing card will gain 1 level in her skill. If the fodder is lower level, then the chance is less than 100%.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Oblivion590 posted:

You can have duplicates in your team, so you might want to start using them. Rares are still much better than normals.

That breaks the illusion that the game isn't a cutthroat cannibalistic teen girl farming simulator that I desperately try to maintain

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
a team of all Nicos

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I've yet to unlock the song in JP that allows you to get the Nico tag for beating it with an all-Nico team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Still makes me laugh.