Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Yeah, I was just thinking, if I were unfamiliar with the area and drove up to the intersection with a green, I would be thinking "ho hum all's good" and then if I see a giant red circle in the intersection, it would definitely make me think there was some sort of traffic circle in the way that I might want to avoid and tempt me to slam on the brakes.

Even if I were to realize that a signaled intersection wouldn't have a roundabout, it is stupid to make people have to make these kinds of decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

This guy came to a stop, look around, flipped his signal on, then made a hard right (as if to actually make the turn) before cutting hard left, stopping AGAIN at the (now-red) light again, then making a right to continue on as normal.

I assure you it was not confusion about the intersection layout.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I was in a roundabout yesterday, a two lane one, and some guy in the lane you do not go straight in decided to go straight and was inches from hitting me, my passengers quote sums it up"I saw his facial expression. Because he wasn't looking at us"

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
11 hour road trip yesterday, most of it was driven through the night.

I can deal with the loving bright light drivers and left lane blockers, but when a trucker tries to loving kill me...

I came up behind a trucker in the left lane who was passing, which is fine and all since I have a lot of respect for those guys and try to show it. He's passed the truck for a minute now and has had plenty of room to get back into the right lane. I'm like what the gently caress is this guy doing... He flips his right turn signal on once and kind of feigns a move to the right. Now I'm getting impatient because I know this guy is just being an rear end in a top hat. I flash my brights at him 5 times a few seconds apart and he's still just sitting there. I go to pass him on the right and as soon as I'm along side the rear of his truck he loving turns on his blinker and lanes over on me, forcing me to the side of the road. What the gently caress... Bored trucker trying to kill people on the road or what?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

RapeWhistle posted:

11 hour road trip yesterday, most of it was driven through the night.

I can deal with the loving bright light drivers and left lane blockers, but when a trucker tries to loving kill me...

I came up behind a trucker in the left lane who was passing, which is fine and all since I have a lot of respect for those guys and try to show it. He's passed the truck for a minute now and has had plenty of room to get back into the right lane. I'm like what the gently caress is this guy doing... He flips his right turn signal on once and kind of feigns a move to the right. Now I'm getting impatient because I know this guy is just being an rear end in a top hat. I flash my brights at him 5 times a few seconds apart and he's still just sitting there. I go to pass him on the right and as soon as I'm along side the rear of his truck he loving turns on his blinker and lanes over on me, forcing me to the side of the road. What the gently caress... Bored trucker trying to kill people on the road or what?

If you follow close, he can't see you. And flashing brights after a passing maneuver is a signal to a truck that he can safely return to the right.

He also may have been a huge dickface

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

CharlieWhiskey posted:

If you follow close, he can't see you. And flashing brights after a passing maneuver is a signal to a truck that he can safely return to the right.

He also may have been a huge dickface

Yeah I was keeping my distance and I moved over a bit when I flashed my brights so I know he could see it in his side mirrors. That poo poo had my adrenaline going pretty good. I had a full can of monster I was thinking of tossing his way.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm driving up 330 towards Big Bear, CA, which is a 5500' climb up a mountain over about 15 miles, mostly one lane with a few passing zones. It's dark and I'm unfamiliar with this road and I don't want to fall off of the mountain, and I had just been proper hosed by rush hour traffic on 91 through Riverside.

As I am driving up, I see headlights coming at me. A large pickup has decided that he wants to pass a guy on a double yellow line. I slam on the brakes. He gets back in his lane.

Further up the road, I approach some cars in front of me. Some cars fill in behind me. We get to a passing zone, and most people go to pass this minivan. An Acura SUV with ice blue headlights gets in front of me but not the minivan before the passing zone ends. The Acura proceeds to ride up the mountain inches off of the minivan's bumper, flashing his high beams, honking his horn, perhaps in attempt to get the minivan to use a pulloff.

Now mind you, this guy isn't going that slow. He's doing the speed limit in the straights, and I would say at most being cautious in the turns. Nothing that would get me upset. But this Acura is pissed and crazy. At the next passing zone, the Acura passes the minivan and takes off. The minivan flashes his lights at the Acura. I stay back keeping a normal safe distance.

A little further up, I decide that I'm feeling more comfortable with the road, and the minivan is going kinda slow around the turns. At the next passing zone, I make my move. The minivan starts racing me and not letting me pass. I'm in a 2.0 liter Impreza at altitude and I'm giving it all she's got. Either he let up, or I was able to squeeze it out, but I just about made it past 60 mph. The minivan put his high beams on. But I was able to move on as some curves came up and as I took them at a normal safe reasonable speed, he went back to crawling around them.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What a pair of assholes.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

FogHelmut posted:

I'm in a 2.0 liter Impreza at altitude and I'm giving it all she's got.

I had a '93 Impreza and took it over the Rocky Mountains many times. I quickly got used to getting in the right hand lane, putting my foot all the way down and keeping it there, watching as my maximum speed slowly eroded on the biggest hills. Poor little car sandwiched in by the RVs and other slowbies.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I always make sure to hang back then have extra speed before I start passing. That way even if they try to pull some dumb poo poo like that I'm already going 10+mph faster before I pull into the other lane.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Drove from St Augustine to Tampa yesterday and there were patches where you could barely see through the rain. Despite the massive loving signs telling people they are required by law to turn on their lights in rain maybe 1/5 never bothered. gently caress, there were some tense moments. I almost rear ended a moron in a light gold Cadillac doing about 30.

There were also a confounding number of drivers who insisted on undertaking people cruising in the middle lane despite the left being wide open.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

FogHelmut posted:

I'm driving up 330 towards Big Bear, CA, which is a 5500' climb up a mountain over about 15 miles, mostly one lane with a few passing zones. It's dark and I'm unfamiliar with this road and I don't want to fall off of the mountain, and I had just been proper hosed by rush hour traffic on 91 through Riverside.

As I am driving up, I see headlights coming at me. A large pickup has decided that he wants to pass a guy on a double yellow line. I slam on the brakes. He gets back in his lane.

Further up the road, I approach some cars in front of me. Some cars fill in behind me. We get to a passing zone, and most people go to pass this minivan. An Acura SUV with ice blue headlights gets in front of me but not the minivan before the passing zone ends. The Acura proceeds to ride up the mountain inches off of the minivan's bumper, flashing his high beams, honking his horn, perhaps in attempt to get the minivan to use a pulloff.

Now mind you, this guy isn't going that slow. He's doing the speed limit in the straights, and I would say at most being cautious in the turns. Nothing that would get me upset. But this Acura is pissed and crazy. At the next passing zone, the Acura passes the minivan and takes off. The minivan flashes his lights at the Acura. I stay back keeping a normal safe distance.

A little further up, I decide that I'm feeling more comfortable with the road, and the minivan is going kinda slow around the turns. At the next passing zone, I make my move. The minivan starts racing me and not letting me pass. I'm in a 2.0 liter Impreza at altitude and I'm giving it all she's got. Either he let up, or I was able to squeeze it out, but I just about made it past 60 mph. The minivan put his high beams on. But I was able to move on as some curves came up and as I took them at a normal safe reasonable speed, he went back to crawling around them.
The minivan probably speed up at the last passing point. That combined with not using turnouts make them an rear end in a top hat.
I'm basically in favor of anything but tailgating or illegal passing to get rear end in a top hat who don't use turn outs out of the way.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PCOS Bill posted:

You'll all be disappointed to hear I don't have a scratch on me, just a lot of insurance headache to go through, documentation of damage to my gear to forward to the insurance for compensation, etc. Hopefully looking at a ~$10k check when all is said and done if it's a writeoff, unless they try to screw me over on replacement values, otherwise probably repairs + $650 or so for gear. (Maybe my neck hurts real bad all of a sudden and I can buff that up a bit, hah!)

Going over to pick up my insurance check just for the bike, total loss - ~$9k. Dealing with another lady on the gear claim.

Guess it's time for bike shopping.

(Also just BSing with the claims adjuster, he told me the towing company who picked up the bike charged over $700 just to take it a mile and a half plus $65/day storage. Jesus Christ.)

PCOS Bill fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 9, 2015

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

FogHelmut posted:

Living near the mountains, I'll never have a non turbo car again. 1) Passing is a great excuse to feel the surge of power, and 2) that passing duel poo poo never happens.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

PCOS Bill posted:

Going over to pick up my insurance check just for the bike, total loss - ~$9k. Dealing with another lady on the gear claim.

Guess it's time for bike shopping.

(Also just BSing with the claims adjuster, he told me the towing company who picked up the bike charged over $700 just to take it a mile and a half plus $65/day storage. Jesus Christ.)

Any time I hear about a thief who steals cars with a tow truck I wonder why he doesn't just do impound work
Same poo poo, more money, less arrests.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Had a truck on the highway today that had mounted an LED headlight bar to their front, like so

It was bright as gently caress and basically just lit up the 4 feet in front of their truck really well, as well as my eyes. It was incredibly stupid and the guy was tailgating me the whole way. gently caress these people.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

jamal posted:

I always make sure to hang back then have extra speed before I start passing. That way even if they try to pull some dumb poo poo like that I'm already going 10+mph faster before I pull into the other lane.

Same here, I gauge how they'll react and don't even acknowledge them directly. I'll get up to the limit, watch some doofus start speeding up to close a gap ahead of him so I can't merge, and not even look in their direction, just kinda keep them in my peripheral. Keep a good cushion distance in front of me, watch them let their guard down thinking "oh he's not going to pass after all" then check what room I've got, punch the gas, signal and get over before they can react. Works every time.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

sleepy.eyes posted:

There were also a confounding number of drivers who insisted on undertaking people cruising in the middle lane despite the left being wide open.

I tend to hang out in the middle lane during my commute. Probably once a week or so someone will come up on me in the left lane, make a double lane change to pass me on the right, then double change back to the left lane after they get by.

That's some serious dedication to doing everything as wrong as possible.

Edit: vvvv Yeah, you're right. I'm usually in the middle because I'm a bit faster than traffic in the right but I should move back to the right when its clear instead of being lazy about it. vvvv

Theris fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 10, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Don't hang out in the middle lane.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

Listen to this guy. Hanging out in the middle lane effectively reduces your nice three-lane interstate to a two-lane, kinda negating the point.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Where else are you supposed to hang out? The right lane is trash because you get hung up on semis or interfere with merging traffic, left lane is trash because it's the passing lane.

The shoulder? :iiam:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Right lane is for exiting or merging traffic. Middle lane is for cruising speed. Left lane for passing those in the middle lane.

I get on the highway, merge into the right lane, assess, and merge into the middle lane. I set my cruise control and pass on the left, then return to the middle lane.

I'm not the fastest car on 355 but I'm not the slowest either.

I've been in a lot of traffic jams and it's the middle lane that tends to move the most since everyone dog piles into the left lane thinking since it's a "fast" lane, they'll go faster.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Yeah, I would love to be an ivory tower idealist and not cruise in a center lane, but staying all the way to the right all the time is adhering to a ruleset that most people are ignoring. I'm happy to stay out of the left lane if I'm not the fastest, but staying in the right is a bit silly in rush hour.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It all depends on the area. 55/355/294 are all a mess of merging lanes and people doing ten under in the right lane. I always get into the right lane like a mile before the 294 exit from 55 and get stuck there for like three minutes dealing with about three on/off ramps. If I stay in the left or middle and merge at the last minute, I can do that mile in 1/3 the time.

Pretty much north of I-80, I stay out of the right lane.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Agreed. Right lane is for entering/exiting. I'm middle lane all the way, except to pass. I'll cruise the left lane if I'm going fast and nobody's behind me, if the middle lane is also congested.

Middle/right lane disagreements aside we can all agree the person posted up in the left lane, oblivious/uncaring to the world around them, going 60mph with miles of traffic flashing their brights behind them is the absolute worst. You aren't in charge of anyone else's speed, for sure get out of the way.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Uthor posted:

It all depends on the area. 55/355/294 are all a mess of merging lanes and people doing ten under in the right lane. I always get into the right lane like a mile before the 294 exit from 55 and get stuck there for like three minutes dealing with about three on/off ramps. If I stay in the left or middle and merge at the last minute, I can do that mile in 1/3 the time.

Pretty much north of I-80, I stay out of the right lane.

355 also had a nice huge truck fire that shut down the southbound for a while. It happened at 2PM and by 7PM they had just one land shut down, but still people were rubbernecking to look at the giant scorch marks. Traffic backed up to and past 55. It was miserable.

Also, I get less tailgated in the center lane than the right and the left, oddly enough.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

355 always feels like it moves pretty good to me, though I haven't had to do daily commutes on it for about 8 years now.

My big beef with it is the interchange with 88. It's just a colossal clusterfuck that I'm amazed doesn't get people killed on a daily basis. Bad signs, bad lane design, not enough capacity.

The work they're doing to upgrade 390 seems nice, though LOL at them putting toll gates every mile.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
ITT Goons that don't have a rush hour commute in a major city.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Last time I was on 88, there was a cop doing about 56 mph in middle lane and absolutely no one was willing to pass him. There were three lanes backed up behind him. Every once in a while someone would pass everyone super aggressively only to get up to the cop and stop behind them. I stayed in the right lane hoping someone would take an exit and let me by, but cars kept merging in at 50 and pushing everyone even further back.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm not much of a speeder (+5-10 over the limit) so I stay out of the left lane to avoid frustrating people. As long as the left lane is clear people that tailgate me in the middle lane can go screw themselves.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

The Mandingo posted:

Right? In Southern California, it's hosed during the day, all day, and at night there are construction lane closures. The whole lane etiquette concept is impossible other than generally staying out of the fast lane if conditions permit driving as fast as your car will go. Same goes for the HOV lane, outside of heavy congestion periods if you aren't going 90 you will have someone on your bumper with high beams on.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Bogatyr posted:

Right? In Southern California, it's hosed during the day, all day, and at night there are construction lane closures. The whole lane etiquette concept is impossible other than generally staying out of the fast lane if conditions permit driving as fast as your car will go. Same goes for the HOV lane, outside of heavy congestion periods if you aren't going 90 you will have someone on your bumper with high beams on.

I was amazed at how much of a horror show SoCal is for driving anywhere after watching Bad Drivers of Southern California's youtube channel. I thought some of those other "bad drivers" channels were bad but holy poo poo, it's pretty much a free-for-all out there.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I couldn't believe how much people stare at their phones while driving there. driving down the highway face deep, only looking up when they hear a horn.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Uthor posted:

Last time I was on 88, there was a cop doing about 56 mph in middle lane and absolutely no one was willing to pass him. There were three lanes backed up behind him. Every once in a while someone would pass everyone super aggressively only to get up to the cop and stop behind them. I stayed in the right lane hoping someone would take an exit and let me by, but cars kept merging in at 50 and pushing everyone even further back.

Reminds me of once like 10 years ago on the D.C. beltway they were trying to I think get the speed limit increased, and this group of people went out and drove exactly 55mph in all 4 lanes to prove a point. It was an absolute shitshow.

Edit: and some truckers tried it again a couple years ago but that was to protest Obama.

davebo fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 10, 2015

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

It's a crapshow because people don't know proper following distance, driving safe, and, this is key, [b]leaving early or on time [b]. I drive with patience in the morning because I wake up early and get to work with plenty of time to spare. Everyone seems to be driving to arrive either right at or just after their appointment time.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Mandingo posted:

This is what makes living in the midwest bearable for me. I have a 15 mile one-way commute that reliably takes less than 20 minutes, and that's counting getting through two terrible lights (both have two cycles of one direction at a time including turning lanes) that almost always turn red just as I get to them.

California/New York/[desirable place to live] is always nice to visit but gently caress living there unless I'm financially independent and don't have to work.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chicago is a proper major city guys, I swear!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Geoj posted:

This is what makes living in the midwest bearable for me. I have a 15 mile one-way commute that reliably takes less than 20 minutes, and that's counting getting through two terrible lights (both have two cycles of one direction at a time including turning lanes) that almost always turn red just as I get to them.

California/New York/[desirable place to live] is always nice to visit but gently caress living there unless I'm financially independent and don't have to work.

I live in Detroit and cruising speed in the left lane is not-uncommonly 90 MPH on my commute to work.

...not that I'd ever do that.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

xzzy posted:

Chicago is a proper major city guys, I swear!

Then where is your proper major airport? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

A billion miles away, like in every other city.