Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
What was that about a revival again?

Don't see anyone but Joel confirmed, mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kojiro posted:

What was that about a revival again?

Don't see anyone but Joel confirmed, mind.

Joel said in this interview that while he does want to get the band back together (as it were), he also wants new people in front of the camera.

quote:

Those who he hopes to get involved include past cast members and writers, as well as a brand new cast that includes a fresh host as well as a new mad scientist and new voices for famous wise-cracking robots Tom Servo and Crow. “Basically, I’m trying to blend the old with the new,” says Hodgson. “Mystery Science Theater has already refreshed itself once with a completely new cast, so I think it deserves to do that again. The original cast is going to be invited back to write, produce, and do cameos as their mad science characters, and then there’s a new cast with new talent.”

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Which is likely for the best. So long as they find good people, as they have so many times before, the show will be in good hands.

I still want a loving Joel/Mike crossover episode.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Burkion posted:

Which is likely for the best. So long as they find good people, as they have so many times before, the show will be in good hands.

I still want a loving Joel/Mike crossover episode.

Besides Soultaker? It would have been nice to have Joel in the theater for that one.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
I much prefer the idea of new people upfront, the saddest thing about nostalgic TV revivals is seeing older people trying to act like they did when they were young, and it never works well.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Kojiro posted:

I much prefer the idea of new people upfront, the saddest thing about nostalgic TV revivals is seeing older people trying to act like they did when they were young, and it never works well.

Eh, i'm kind of the opposite.

It's also hard for me to get behind donating to the kickstarter too since i don't now who the cast is going to be. I thought the group dynamic of Cinematic Titanic was pretty bad... and most riffing teams are pretty bad in general. The only cast that I really seem to enjoy (sans Rifftrax) are the master pancake theater folks. If i'm going to pledge something, I'd at least like to know that the cast isn't annoying (i.e., josh weinstein) or they don't really play well off of one another.

Also, the money they're asking for seems awfully high considering what they're looking for. I wonder how much goes into production and how much is going towards lining Mallon's pockets.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Holy poo poo 2 millions dollars lol.

Also the bots in that video or whatever are horrible.

Edit: Why is this even needed. Rifftrax is loving killing it. Tons of new lovely movies to riff, a great streaming model and reasonable prices. I don't even understand this.

Fake edit2: In the video they don't even know what to give as inducements or whatever they're called in Kickstarter. They're asking for suggestions on what to give you for donating. Oh god. This is so sad.

Gozinbulx fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 10, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

2DCAT posted:

Eh, i'm kind of the opposite.

It's also hard for me to get behind donating to the kickstarter too since i don't now who the cast is going to be. I thought the group dynamic of Cinematic Titanic was pretty bad... and most riffing teams are pretty bad in general. The only cast that I really seem to enjoy (sans Rifftrax) are the master pancake theater folks. If i'm going to pledge something, I'd at least like to know that the cast isn't annoying (i.e., josh weinstein) or they don't really play well off of one another.

Also, the money they're asking for seems awfully high considering what they're looking for. I wonder how much goes into production and how much is going towards lining Mallon's pockets.

Considering what Joel wrote about the legal issues with MST3K, I'm thinking Jim may have been removed from the proceedings.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Gozinbulx posted:

Fake edit2: In the video they don't even know what to give as inducements or whatever they're called in Kickstarter. They're asking for suggestions on what to give you for donating. Oh god. This is so sad.

Uh, actually, it's a joke. They HAVE their Kickstarter reward tiers set up.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Shh, I don't think he quite understands what a joke is yet.

I mean he can't read that's for certain

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Burkion posted:

Shh, I don't think he quite understands what a joke is yet.

I mean he can't read that's for certain

Well, that's a given.

And Joel makes it pretty clear that the bots voices aren't final, they'll be doing casting eventually. Where can I audition??

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I came in here to see if you guys were psyched but I guess the world has really lost its light for y'all. Anyway I pledged a bit cause the Pluto TV channel got me interested in this again.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Gozinbulx posted:

Edit: Why is this even needed. Rifftrax is loving killing it. Tons of new lovely movies to riff, a great streaming model and reasonable prices. I don't even understand this.

Yeah, but what Rifftrax can't do is play around the same way they could with a host segment on MST3K, or with the silhouettes during the movie itself (see: "LEEEEAVE THE BRONX! LEEEEAVE THE BRONX!" at the end of Escape 2000), or by building characters that are somewhat removed from who they actually are. To be clear, Rifftrax doesn't need to do any of that at all, but their no-frills approach leaves space for MST3K to co-exist as a similar, but different beast.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Ensign_Ricky posted:

That, and they can add new rewards if they want, so why not to ask for suggestions.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I absolutely love MST3k but this is horrible. The "old" voices work fine because they are currently working right now and its fantastic and is in fact the topic of this very thread. I don't need new voices (old ones are still awesome) don't need new movies (Rifftrax is getting tons of movies, almost weekly) and I don't need any of the production stuff or a silhouette across the bottom, that's not the substance of the product, which is riffing.

There is no need for this and will probably ruin the legacy of a cherished show. And I love Jonah Ray but he was awful in that video.

Gozinbulx fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 10, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

CortezFantastic posted:

I came in here to see if you guys were psyched but I guess the world has really lost its light for y'all.
What're you talking about? I'm already in and trying not to up my pledge to $100 for the mug and shirt.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mister Kingdom posted:

What makes her a bad person is that she refuses to conform.

Well she's also kind of a lovely antisocial person that blows up at her thirtysomething classmates that are trying to be nice to her.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

I like the idea a lot but without details it's actually kinda hard to justify throwing down much cash here. If the old gang actually gets back together, combined with new talent, awesome- but with no assurances that Mike, Kevin, and Bill will be involved I don't know.

There are some great Rifftrax eps out there, but I was just rewatching some of my favorite MST3K episodes and they're really satisfying in a way that Rifftrax isn't. I hope Joel can share some more details soon...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gozinbulx posted:

I absolutely love MST3k but this is horrible. The "old" voices work fine because they are currently working right now and its fantastic and is in fact the topic of this very thread. I don't need new voices (old ones are still awesome) don't need new movies (Rifftrax is getting tons of movies, almost weekly) and I don't need any of the production stuff or a silhouette across the bottom, that's not the substance of the product, which is riffing.

There is no need for this and will probably ruin the legacy of a cherished show. And I love Jonah Ray but he was awful in that video.

NotMyMST3K

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

There are some great Rifftrax eps out there, but I was just rewatching some of my favorite MST3K episodes and they're really satisfying in a way that Rifftrax isn't. I hope Joel can share some more details soon...

Well, there's the AMA in a few hours.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll put it this way, it may not be great, but I love the idea of my daughter being able to watch new episodes with the bots. She's only four now and loves watching the host segments and singing the theme song...so for me even, if it's just a quick spin and it's gone project, I'll still be happy she gets to see some new stuff.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

I was just rewatching some of my favorite MST3K episodes and they're really satisfying in a way that Rifftrax isn't.

I honestly don't get this. Host segments are fun and its funny when they point at the screen but seriously who cares. Rifftrax did this business model perfectly, especially after they started getting VOD rights for lesser movies and you didn't have to sync up mp3s and poo poo. Why oh why do we need to 2 million dollars for 3(!!) episodes?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

If the old gang actually gets back together, combined with new talent, awesome- but with no assurances that Mike, Kevin, and Bill will be involved I don't know.

I'll be shocked if Mike, Kevin, and Bill offer anything more than moral support and maybe a cameo appearance or two; I have to imagine that Rifftrax keeps them busy. But I threw in ten bucks because it's as you said: as great as Rifftrax is, it's just not the same as MST3K. I have doubts that Joel can pull this off, but I'm happy to give him the chance.

Besides, there's something oddly unsatisfying about the show falling shy of 200 episodes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gozinbulx posted:

I honestly don't get this. Host segments are fun and its funny when they point at the screen but seriously who cares. Rifftrax did this business model perfectly, especially after they started getting VOD rights for lesser movies and you didn't have to sync up mp3s and poo poo. Why oh why do we need to 2 million dollars for 3(!!) episodes?

Because movies cost a lot of money, recording equipment cost a lot of money, sets cost a lot of money, talent costs a lot of money, everything costs money.

We don't know what kind of deals Rifftrax gets into behind the scenes nor is it our place to pry, but we do know that the way they do it is the most bare bones, inexpensive way possible. It likely wouldn't work taking it to TV, the way it is.

One of the goals Joel specifically mentioned was getting MST3K noticed by either big online networks like Hulu or Netflix, or even getting it back on TV- that costs money.

Add that to the fact that the budget for individual episodes back in the Sci Fi days was around 1 million per, this is actually UNDER shooting that budget by half.

What part of this is so hard to understand?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Burkion posted:

One of the goals Joel specifically mentioned was getting MST3K noticed by either big online networks like Hulu or Netflix, or even getting it back on TV- that costs money.

If anyone goes for it, it'll be Netflix. They love revivals.

And the cash raised is now just shy of 300k. This is moving faster than the average Rifftrax kickstarter now.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
But Netflix pays to produce shows, not us the user (except in the form of subscribing to Netflix).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gozinbulx posted:

But Netflix pays to produce shows, not us the user (except in the form of subscribing to Netflix).

You

Really are not grasping this

Are you

Let me make this as clear as possible

The real goal of this kickstarter as Joel himself has said in the kickstarter both subtly and not so subtly isn't just to get the episodes made- that would be unsustainable and would not help the future of MST3K what so ever.

It is to show that there is a very real, very current demand for the show, so that they have something to prove to Netflix, Hulu, or anyone else, to get them to pick up the show from there and ensure its future.

No better way to do that

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Burkion posted:

You

Really are not grasping this

Are you

Let me make this as clear as possible

The real goal of this kickstarter as Joel himself has said in the kickstarter both subtly and not so subtly isn't just to get the episodes made- that would be unsustainable and would not help the future of MST3K what so ever.

It is to show that there is a very real, very current demand for the show, so that they have something to prove to Netflix, Hulu, or anyone else, to get them to pick up the show from there and ensure its future.

No better way to do that

Exactly. If the kickstarter is successful enough, networks and streaming services will stand up and take notice.

Over in the MST3k thread, I hypothesize that Netflix making the show might actually make things cheaper to produce as if Netflix already has the rights to a movie, then there could possibly be some overlap. But I admit my knowledge of American copyright law is murky. Curse my Canadianism!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Exactly. If the kickstarter is successful enough, networks and streaming services will stand up and take notice.

Over in the MST3k thread, I hypothesize that Netflix making the show might actually make things cheaper to produce as if Netflix already has the rights to a movie, then there could possibly be some overlap. But I admit my knowledge of American copyright law is murky. Curse my Canadianism!

They have streaming rights, not rights to sublicense or use the material to create new programing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gozinbulx posted:

I think you need to repeat to yourself it's just a show. You should really just relax.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

gfanikf posted:

They have streaming rights, not rights to sublicense or use the material to create new programing.

Seeing as you have a better grasp on the laws involved, how difficult/costly would it actually be for Netflix to get the additional rights?

edit: Closing in on 400k already. Gotta be a few executives out there taking notice.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Netflix has about a different billion ways to determine how popular or not popular something would be. The numbers on when they HAD mst3k shows would be a good start but also all the other stuff they do. I'm pretty sure they know it would be a big hit. I would rather they give the Rifftrax guys a crack at providing alternate audio tracks to stuff in their library, personally.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Their goal is $5.5 million? For 12 episodes? Good luck with that guys.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Seeing as you have a better grasp on the laws involved, how difficult/costly would it actually be for Netflix to get the additional rights?

edit: Closing in on 400k already. Gotta be a few executives out there taking notice.

It totally depends on the title they want to use and what the rights holder wants for it. They have to obtain new rights which involves a totally different revenue calculation as opposed to simply streaming it.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

It's interesting, and I HATE saying this, but what they're asking for seems a little much for the content they have planned. That doesn't mean I'm not going to donate, of course, but I have to wonder how much something like MST3K would cost per episode if it had been filmed today—accounting for inflation and technological improvements making production (conceivably) easier. I mean, I've seen web shows that don't cost nearly as much as what they're asking for new MST3K, but still look 1000 times better than the old '90s show. The cruddiness was always part of MST3K's appeal—I mean, the main set was a wall with trash glued onto it—so I have to wonder where all the money is going. I still hope this happens, though I have to wonder if Joel is going into this with too much of an old-school TV mindset.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
Mike posted an update on Facebook to clarify things regarding MST3K but there's also a teaser about a future rifftrax release in there

quote:

But HAPPILY -- I've spent nine years putting all my energies into RiffTrax (we now have created more tracks than we did in our time at MST!) and we have tons of exciting stuff coming up, including more live shows, more feature length stuff (including one of the finest films to ever feature an NES Power Glove), shorts, etc., etc.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

bobservo posted:

It's interesting, and I HATE saying this, but what they're asking for seems a little much for the content they have planned. That doesn't mean I'm not going to donate, of course, but I have to wonder how much something like MST3K would cost per episode if it had been filmed today—accounting for inflation and technological improvements making production (conceivably) easier. I mean, I've seen web shows that don't cost nearly as much as what they're asking for new MST3K, but still look 1000 times better than the old '90s show. The cruddiness was always part of MST3K's appeal—I mean, the main set was a wall with trash glued onto it—so I have to wonder where all the money is going. I still hope this happens, though I have to wonder if Joel is going into this with too much of an old-school TV mindset.

Apparently the budget of the Sci Fi era was around 1 million per episode, so even without inflation they're aiming lower than that for this iteration.

They're basically asking for around half a million per episode for the first three, and then half that for each following three, which isn't unreasonable and fits with the idea that the first three would be the most expensive.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

X-O posted:

Their goal is $5.5 million? For 12 episodes? Good luck with that guys.
Should have a million by the end of the day.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Seeing as a little over twice of what they're asking would produce nine more episodes it sounds like a lot of the $2 million is start up cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Burkion posted:

Apparently the budget of the Sci Fi era was around 1 million per episode, so even without inflation they're aiming lower than that for this iteration.

They're basically asking for around half a million per episode for the first three, and then half that for each following three, which isn't unreasonable and fits with the idea that the first three would be the most expensive.

That makes sense, but part of me wonders if TV budgets in the pre-Internet-streaming days were much higher than they would be today, simply because the world was a little smaller. I totally get it, though.

• Locked thread