Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's mindblowing is that the director for Other M worked on Metroid, Super, and Fusion. Though there are a lot of similarities between Fusion and Other M in world design I just cannot believe he signed off on the story and Samus's character in Other M.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

rediscover posted:

Okay, I'll break it down for you, 6 year old retard child. Fusion as good movement, it feels good to run and jump and roll around as a ball, traversing the worlds in the game is satisfying. It's not as fun listening to the computer talk to you for 15 minutes before your allowed to go to the next part of the game. I think thats what In Training meant. Class dismissed.

Yeah this. Thanks

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You shouldn't have a text box in a Metroid game outside of the first screen when it says Emergency Beacon Received

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
extended voiced cutscenes in your metroid game that's a no no

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I really dig Prime 2's world design, the first areas with the spiderweb bug wasteland and then the bog feel like they capture the organic vibe of Super Metroid pretty well. And the sky fortress owns of course.

Something about the art design feels kinda off though, especially in the UI and some of the effects (the electricity/lightning when you crash in the beginning). It almost feels like a knockoff Metroid.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Super Metroid and Zero Mission and Prime (and probably even Metroid 2 but I've never played that) all did a really good job with the mood of utter isolation and solitude. Prime 2 put a mothman priest as the only other person on the planet which compromised that a little and then Prime 3 threw it completely out the window and the game is fine but it feels really weird to be Metroid. The feeling of isolation is important to Metroid, imo.

Dec 26, 2012

elf help book posted:

Explore a world of Mystery and Fun with a daring team of explorers, Samus Aran, Cubone, and Shadow the Hedgehog.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Metroid Prime Pinball×Sonic Spinball

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I wish Metroid Prime Pinball had more and larger tables, because it was a good game but it was weird that most tables were just a single loop and a lot of open space, and it would have been cool to see more levels.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ralp posted:

Super Metroid and Zero Mission and Prime (and probably even Metroid 2 but I've never played that) all did a really good job with the mood of utter isolation and solitude. Prime 2 put a mothman priest as the only other person on the planet which compromised that a little and then Prime 3 threw it completely out the window and the game is fine but it feels really weird to be Metroid. The feeling of isolation is important to Metroid, imo.

Maybe its because I played the series backwards (Prime/Fusion, then Super/Zero Mission), but I never really got that. Like, in Prime you don't have allies, but I never really felt isolated/alone, you're always reading research logs and you spend like a third of the game in labs/mining facilities. I guess it's just subjective whether you're just alone, or feeling a sense of isolation. I don't feel like the moth dude hanging out in his house interfered with anything. Pretty much everyone says what you're saying though so maybe I'm just overthinking it.

I agree Prime 3 really hosed up the tone but for me that had more to do with your boss brain being really annoying and the stuff where you fight along the marines feeling really out of place like they were trying to cash in on Halo's popularity without really understanding it.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 10, 2015

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

frank.club posted:

What's mindblowing is that the director for Other M worked on Metroid, Super, and Fusion. Though there are a lot of similarities between Fusion and Other M in world design I just cannot believe he signed off on the story and Samus's character in Other M.

the metroid dude has said that the limited story and wonky physics stuff in SM was due to hardware and dev time constraints. other M was basically his dream game. the guy is a loving kook and nintendo gave him a do-nothing job off in some corner for that shitpile

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Bobnumerotres posted:

the metroid dude has said that the limited story and wonky physics stuff in SM was due to hardware and dev time constraints. other M was basically his dream game. the guy is a loving kook and nintendo gave him a do-nothing job off in some corner for that shitpile

*holding back tears* that's a fail

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

rediscover posted:

*holding back tears* that's a fail

tfw some of your favorite games of all time were good by accident

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

I'll say it, the Super Nintendo is basically perfect

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

ths happens more than you'd think and i'm okay with it. Limitations are often where good art comes from

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

frank.club posted:

I'll say it, the Super Nintendo is basically perfect

lol ur old

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

ikanreed posted:

lol ur old

drat!!! That's a cold rear end honky. I can't even believe you would do my mans like that. Good Lord.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Metroid Prime Pinball was made by the same people who made the best original virtual pinball simulation ever, Pro Pinball.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

As a Millennial I posted:

Metroid Prime Pinball was made by the same people who made the best original virtual pinball simulation ever, Pro Pinball.

oh cool

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Every time I replayed Prime I did it on Hard which I think was a mistake in hindsight and slightly ruined the experience because it doesn't really add much challenge, mostly it turns every enemy into an annoying bullet sponge. It really ruins the flow of traversing back and forth through the areas.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ikanreed posted:

lol ur old

Uh!!!!!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ralp posted:

Axiom Verge is on sale on steam right now. It does the really weird alien-world in complete isolation thing pretty well and pretty fair Super Metroid ripoff game. Kind of has some annoying bits about it but you might want to check it out.

I would love an actual good new metroid on the wii u still.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

axiom verge is garbage

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's a slow turd

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
not going to disagree since I liked it more in theory than actually playing it because I never finished it, but it did do the weird isolated alien world of a metroid game very well.

probably would have been more better if it wasn't just made by 1 dude.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

In Training posted:

It's a slow turd

tru.. i didnt realize i was playing something that sucked really bad until like 4 hours deep. one second im just playing the game and the next it was just like... gah what the gently caress is this.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

rediscover posted:

tru.. i didnt realize i was playing something that sucked really bad until like 4 hours deep. one second im just playing the game and the next it was just like... gah what the gently caress is this.

i enjoy the aesthetic and music a lot but yeah the game sucking kind of slowly creeps up on you. you keep thinking theres gonna be a cool boss fight or mobility upgrade and it never comes until literally the last major upgrade in the game lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

axiom devs: *forgoes interesting weapon upgrades that change the way your bullets work and improves them in a lot of ways for a weapon wheel and small flat damage upgrades that are totally separate* *cuts the flat damage upgrades into fractions so you may solve some huge puzzle just to find 1/5th of a tiny damage boost*

e: *stuffs every interesting powerful weapon into the last 10% of the game*

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

lol the weapon wheel

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

is that a 1% discount on Axiom Verge?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bolverkur posted:

is that a 1% discount on Axiom Verge?

Yeah wtf

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

elf help book posted:

lol the weapon wheel

what makes it worse is that there are no-poo poo 15+ weapons and nearly all of them are weaker than the starting gun as a trade-off for very situational things, then the post-final upgrade guns are bullshit that break the game like a giant flamethrower that ignores walls or a lightning laser cannon that auto-tracks every enemy on screen and fries them

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I started playing super metroid and I'm stuck at the bottom of a shaft with the guys i know i can freeze and jump off but i don't have the ice beam yet

the x is where I am, I've even gone over to Maridia and beaten the boss

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Explore Norfair more, and also are you sure you've explored Maridia and not just Kraid's Lair.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Ok thanks I made it past it I am really digging this game, I wonder how different my life would have ended up if we'd have got a SNES instead of Genesis back in the day

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

African AIDS cum posted:

Ok thanks I made it past it I am really digging this game, I wonder how different my life would have ended up if we'd have got a SNES instead of Genesis back in the day

most definitely not living a life with an rear end in a top hat permanently full of African AIDS cum

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

African AIDS cum posted:

Same, I didn't even get any of the good Genesis games, just a bunch of licensed crap. I spent years reading Nintendo Power and begging my parents to let me sell the genesis to a pawn shop so I could buy a snes.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Oops

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

what happened here? did OP ever beat super metroid??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

what happened here? did OP ever beat super metroid??
They got stuck on Metroid Rex.

• Locked thread