Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

There is a limited amount of quest XP available in the game, and XP from kills will level you very slowly. In theory you could max everything out by just leveling eternally, but eventually that'll just become an awful grind. Apparently you can reasonably expect to end up somewhere between level 50 and 60 playing the game normally, so most people plan their builds around that assumption.

no radiant quests in dis game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Any good mods out yet

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

The Walrus posted:

if you make your wife black do you have a brown baby

Not only yes, but I simply made my woman kind of a dark Italian/ish or maybe dark Eastern European, and the baby came out mysteriously darker than me... Husband never questioned it though :wink:

It would be cool if they hadn't decided to combined super spergy/hoarder crafting capabilities and necessities with a UI somehow even clunkier than all past FO UIs.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BigRed0427 posted:

So is there a primer anywhere on how armor crafting and parts works in this game?

When you get crafting you'll be able to look at the materials you need, flag them as things you're looking for, and then in the future when you're looting stuff an icon will show you which items you should take for scrap parts. It makes it pretty simple.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Some questions that lot lost in the shuffle: how specifically do I tell Dogmeat to leave me alone? I told him to wait in a location, but fast travel brought him back to me. Is it related to building him a dog house? Because I don't know where that is in the crafting menu.

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

Speedball posted:

Everything in it is actually really good. It is a good game. The story is somewhat unambitious but not poorly told for what it is. The way perks work now and settlement building are games in themselves.

I LOVE THE ART DIRECTION! Fallout works great with a dab of color to it.

I pretty much had the opposite reaction for every single one of your points.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Anyone who made it farther into the game able to sound off on big guns? I've realized the mistake of playing melee as my first character but I'm far enough in that I don't just want to restart. I figure since I have all this strength and passable perception that I could make a fair shake at heavy weapons as well. I've got the minigun you pick up with the power suit but that thing chews up ammo like whoa and I've yet to find a new source of bullets in any reasonable amount. It's there a heavy weapon you get that's a bit more reasonable on the ammo front in terms of availability? Something like a big canon of either the laser/plasma and /or actual canonball sense? Even something like a SAW would probably leave a better taste in my mouth.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Smol posted:

Wait, really? Three times the health?
yep

welcome to bethesda difficulty scaling

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
This game is really dumb, but also pretty fun.
Also, the difficulty seems to be all over the place. I walked into a base a bit east of the starting location, and some dudes one-shot me from full health with normal laser weapons.

Edit: Also companion damage and health seems to scale with difficulty as well. Codsworth is mowing down waves of enemies on survival without taking a scratch.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Have anti anliasing on, but its not working at all. Jaggies galore. Yay.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Is it possible to have the character be less lazy and wipe off the drat pipboy more? I cant read the item names worth poo poo.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Wait until next year for the creation kit then wait another two for the script extender and then a few weeks for the UI overhaul

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I can't believe how many goons said they went heavy into melee. Whaaat were you guys thinking. Do you just love the poo poo out of Skyrim or something?

I feel like more of you went melee than didn't, but I guess its just because the melee people are talking about melee being meh while gun people are busy having fun.

Broken Cog posted:

This game is really dumb, but also pretty fun.
Also, the difficulty seems to be all over the place. I walked into a base a bit east of the starting location, and some dudes one-shot me from full health with normal laser weapons.

Edit: Also companion damage and health seems to scale with difficulty as well. Codsworth is mowing down waves of enemies on survival without taking a scratch.

Difficulty being a complete rollercoaster is pretty typical of open-world games, especially Bethesda games.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I'm not clear on this - I'm just a little bit into the game (returned to Sanctuary) and am wondering about the Power Armor. Does it snap back to a given location when I leave it for any period of time, or do I have to constantly remember where it is?

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Melee is a lot easier when you're playing with a controller. gently caress trying to aim with stupid thumbsticks.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
So I bought this game even though my computer fell pretty short of the 'minimum specs' (AMD FX4100 cpu & Nvidia GT 750 w/only 1gb ram), but surprisingly enough it runs at medium pretty playably. I already ordered a new GTX 960 4gb from Amazon, but I'm wondering now if I should return it or not.

Do you think the new card will make a big enough difference to be worth it??

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Zaphod42 posted:

I can't believe how many goons said they went heavy into melee. Whaaat were you guys thinking. Do you just love the poo poo out of Skyrim or something?

I feel like more of you went melee than didn't, but I guess its just because the melee people are talking about melee being meh while gun people are busy having fun.

Difficulty being a complete rollercoaster is pretty typical of open-world games, especially Bethesda games.

I wanted to replicate my New Vegas guy's strategy of VATSing a grenade/dynamite at the enemies' feet and clean up by punching the survivors in the face until dead.

Little did I know they decided to completely cut the balls out of that strategy for this game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pyrolocutus posted:

I'm not clear on this - I'm just a little bit into the game (returned to Sanctuary) and am wondering about the Power Armor. Does it snap back to a given location when I leave it for any period of time, or do I have to constantly remember where it is?

It stays wherever you left it. It has an icon on your map, though. Most people leave it at Sanctuary or another settlement and fast travel back to get it when they want it.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Pyrolocutus posted:

It shows up on the map as a little power helmet icon. About that, however:

I picked up another chassis, and parked it at one of the bases that's got the power armor modifcation workshop crafting whateverthefuck it's called. The icon for the armor moved from Sanctuary, my completed set, to the new one, which was just a bare chassis. The set you get in the story is still in Sanctuary, just not marked on the map.

Seems you only get one --> YOUR ARMOR IS HERE <-- icon on the map. Which is kinda strange.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I've never played a Fallout game, but I just bought this.

Time to not get any in-jokes :toot:

Grimshak
Oct 8, 2013

I know you need the meat, girl, but damn.
Anyone know what I should drop to raise FPS the most. I'm running a GTX 970 with i7, and getting around 40 FPS (currently raining in-game). I'm aiming for 120-144hz as I'm running a monitor that'll support it.

I dropped to medium and got next to no difference :(

Grimshak fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 10, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I saw sing sing roleplaying mike tyson today on his stream and he sounded like he was having a blast. And it looked pretty fun too

Grimshak posted:

Anyone know what I should drop to raise FPS the most. I'm running a GTX 970 with i7, and getting around 40 FPS. I'm aiming for 120-144hz as I'm running a monitor that'll support it.

God rays then shadows.

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid
I don't know why but for some reason I even bought the guide. loving Bethesda

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I found a place i really really like (drive through cinema? is that what they are called?) where i want to build and i have some settlement building questions.

When can raiders start attacking?
Is there a way to snap metal perimeter fences together? Mine aren't doing that at least.
Is there a way to raise and lower things you want to build?
Do raiders attack from pre-set directions or is it random?
Can i get snipers on defence eventually?
There skeletons and unseemly poo poo around my nerd kingdom, is there a in game way to remove these or should i just click them in the console and type "disable"?

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

So how do I get my dog to actually wear his doggles? Is there more to it than just putting them in his inventory?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I am having a good time with the game so far, but what the hell is the point of giving me weight stats and such with the pip boy, if the screen is going to be covered in dirt that you can't see though. Playing on medium graphics btw.

Grimshak
Oct 8, 2013

I know you need the meat, girl, but damn.

Draxion posted:

So how do I get my dog to actually wear his doggles? Is there more to it than just putting them in his inventory?

Put it in his inventory, then without leaving the screen hit "T" when hovering over the goggles

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Learning the hard way that melee isn't very fun. Any of ya'll know if there's a safe way to redistribute skill points and perks? Don't wanna restart...

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

afkmacro posted:

Any good mods out yet

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

:cripes:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

afkmacro posted:

Any good mods out yet

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/100/

PC master race

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I've got a dumb q: how do I check fps on this game? I'm on pc

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

JohnnySmitch posted:

So I bought this game even though my computer fell pretty short of the 'minimum specs' (AMD FX4100 cpu & Nvidia GT 750 w/only 1gb ram), but surprisingly enough it runs at medium pretty playably. I already ordered a new GTX 960 4gb from Amazon, but I'm wondering now if I should return it or not.

What you pay for it, and how much more is the MSI 970 Gaming 4G instead?
It's not a very good card, but tbh nothing under 300$ is since the stock of surplus 239$ AMD 290's ran out.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

seems fitting since the sox were falling behind all year :eyepop:

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Thanks man

BeOSPOS posted:

I've got a dumb q: how do I check fps on this game? I'm on pc

enable fps overlay through steam settings and it works on every steam game from now on

Also any achievements tied to difficulty setting?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

JohnnySmitch posted:

That depends upon what your specs are at now and what you're trying to improve. But in general yeah, if the game runs now but you're on medium, getting a new 960 will let you push all the settings to high pretty much, increase your draw distances, etc.

Most videogames these days are GPU-bound, so that's where the bottleneck is and GPUs see huge performance increases. A few games are CPU-bound and so upgrading your GPU won't necessarily matter as much (like GTA5) but even then you can bump some of the graphics settings like textures at the very least.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there any way to convert the junk I carry around to useable materials permanently so I don't have to shift through my main stash back at the Sanctuary base every time I want to upgrade a new settlement?

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/43/

:spergin:

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
so someone in GBS said that this game would be on sale for 1/3rd off on CD key resale sites on launch day

i don't trust any i see on google, where would you goons recommend buying a copy for PC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Grimshak posted:

Anyone know what I should drop to raise FPS the most. I'm running a GTX 970 with i7, and getting around 40 FPS (currently raining in-game). I'm aiming for 120-144hz as I'm running a monitor that'll support it.

I have an i5 and a 970 and I run with everything on high or ultra settings, and I'm getting 60+ fps everywhere, so you need to fix your computer brah, sorry.

40? Ouch. And you're shooting for 120+? Hah. Yeaaaaah tweak your poo poo. Run virus scans? :lol:

If dropping your settings doesn't improve your frame rate then you're probably CPU-bound for some reason. Do you have like chrome with a million tabs open in the background or something? Tons of processes doing background processing?

Is your hard drive fragmented? Fallout does do a lot of data streaming.

• Locked thread