Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Any silenced weapons available early on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankenoodle
Jun 6, 2015

Everybody's talking at me

Vargs posted:

It does seem pretty good, but I'd probably just go to rank 3 on it rather than 4. Rank 4 only benefits you if you're using these things at 1%-19% health remaining, with less benefit the higher you are. I dunno about you but I don't tend to wait until I'm at 1% health to use a stimpack, or have lost 99% of my max hp to radiation before I eat a RadAway.

I've used a Stimpack at 0 HP before. Someone else pointed out that 0 HP doesn't mean death in this game, and I was quite surprised that only a couple of hours in I confirmed this. It would have been nice if that Stimpack had done a full heal. :D But otherwise you're right.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Broken Cog posted:

Are you supposed to run around in your underwear if you equip a set of armor pieces?

some clothes aren't compatible with armor pieces, if you hover over it it'll flash what armor pieces will be unequiped

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Broken Cog posted:

Are you supposed to run around in your underwear if you equip a set of armor pieces?

Put on the armor pieces, then put on the clothing. For some reason if you don't do it in that order, it undresses you.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Just heard a convincing and sweet conversation between Sturges and Jun and it's like... Bethesda does actually halfway grasp how to write people. Sometimes.

I really feel like the game, at least so far, would be significantly enhanced had there not been the scene with Baldy killing Spousey and stealing Babby. Just have you wake up, open up your husband's cryopod, and oh poo poo he's dead and Shaun is missing. And that's it. It would not, it seems, have changed anything else so far, but it would have kind of enhanced the mystery and the feeling of entering a different world that Fallout is supposed to evoke.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I like that if you're near a corner you can pop in and out of cover by zooming in.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

the fact that the bolt is on the wrong side on the hunting rifle is quite triggering to me

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wonder what Codsworth calls you if you give your character a first and last name and both of them are on his list of things he can say. If I name my guy Leo McCoy, is he going to call me Mr. Leo or Mr. McCoy?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

ShadowMar posted:

what the gently caress, if you hit V while in your pipboy it zooms in on the UI. why doesn't it tell you this anywhere???

You can also drag right mouse button to look around it a bit.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

quote:

If you just put junk in your workshop resources instead of dropping them on the ground and scrapping them, you end up wasting a lot of resources. For example, if you have an item that has a screw and a spring, and you make an item that needs 1 screw, the item is destroyed and the spring is lost forever.

welp.

Time to test if this is true, if yes this sucks big balls man

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ShadowMar posted:

some clothes aren't compatible with armor pieces, if you hover over it it'll flash what armor pieces will be unequiped

To give an example on this: you know those piecemeal bandit leather / metal armor pieces you can pick up? You can wear those over your vault suit so you effectively have a an armor layer you can upgrade to be good at stopping bullets over your vault suit that you can upgrade to be good against energy and radiation.

Frankenoodle
Jun 6, 2015

Everybody's talking at me

jadebullet posted:

Put on the armor pieces, then put on the clothing. For some reason if you don't do it in that order, it undresses you.

This doesn't happen for me. It doesn't matter what order I put things on, and I know for a fact I've switched between two pieces of clothing while wearing armor bits. However, some non-combat clothing like suits, shirt and jeans, etc are not compatible with armor bits.

Unrelated, how do you tell how much AP a weapon takes to fire in VATS? I've determined that the higher fire rate weapons can be fired more in VATS, but what's the actual number per shot? I have one gun that can barely not fire a third shot in VATS. I'd like to know when that kind of thing will happen before I actually enter a combat.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
does this game suck or what

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I'm downloading the new GTX 960m driver. Tried starting the game without the update and I got a flickering screen before I shut the game down and then it refused to launch after that.

I have a 860m and any driver newer than 355.98 will plain not work.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

YES. I LOVE IT.

There is no level cap correct? I could get everything eventually?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
If I'm playing on Very Easy (since, let's get real, I'm not playing these games for the combat or the story or anything-- if it's anything like Skyrim it's just a big walking simulator with a huge world built with an AAA budget) am I going to have to worry about ~*~*~character optimization~*~*~ or whatever?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

That depends on your tolerance for Bethesda jank before it can be corrected in add-ons. All the caviots from Skyrim and Fallout 3 at launch apply here.

Edit: For what it's worth I'm enjoying my time with the game so far. I absolutely understand why some people have 0 tolerance for the jankiness anymore though.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 10, 2015

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

If you're planning on doing any settlement type business you should take at least 6 charisma, and you might as well take 9 or 10 science so you can hit 11 with the bobblehead. Nuclear Physicist is insanely good, especially if you're going to play on Survival where power armor is almost a requirement.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Empress Theonora posted:

If I'm playing on Very Easy (since, let's get real, I'm not playing these games for the combat or the story or anything-- if it's anything like Skyrim it's just a big walking simulator with a huge world built with an AAA budget) am I going to have to worry about ~*~*~character optimization~*~*~ or whatever?

i play on hard and RP as Roland Deschain in my equipment and skillchoices, and it is kind of challenging, but not overly so. so no, unless you play with your feet or something, probably not.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Horray, I fixed two of my main issues. The dust issue was solved by updating my drivers which were REALLY out of date because I am dumb. The second issue was that I remapped VATS to V. Who was the idiot who decided to put the "go into third person view" button where the VATS button has been for the past two games?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Empress Theonora posted:

not even a little bit

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fish Fry Andy posted:

If you're planning on doing any settlement type business you should take at least 6 charisma, and you might as well take 9 or 10 science so you can hit 11 with the bobblehead. Nuclear Physicist is insanely good, especially if you're going to play on Survival where power armor is almost a requirement.

I'm probably not playing on Survival and I don't really know if I want to get into settlement building or not. It seems like it might end up kinda tedious but I don't really know. Local Leader does seem like it's really important if you're building settlements though.

I'll probably be playing on Hard. Do you think taking Nuclear Physicist is worth it over the higher-Luck VATS perks like Grim Reaper's Sprint and Critical Banker in that case?

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 10, 2015

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Eonwe posted:

not even a little bit

ok good, i'd rather look cool than play correctly :v:

edit: and also devote more time to learning how building settlements work and stuff than trying to avoid dying while walking across the map

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Mister Adequate posted:

Just heard a convincing and sweet conversation between Sturges and Jun and it's like... Bethesda does actually halfway grasp how to write people. Sometimes.

I really feel like the game, at least so far, would be significantly enhanced had there not been the scene with Baldy killing Spousey and stealing Babby. Just have you wake up, open up your husband's cryopod, and oh poo poo he's dead and Shaun is missing. And that's it. It would not, it seems, have changed anything else so far, but it would have kind of enhanced the mystery and the feeling of entering a different world that Fallout is supposed to evoke.

Not very far into the game, but it didn't make any sense that baldy baby burglar would wake you up just to taunt you and let you watch your spouse die. If you slept through it, the whole scene could have been shown through a grainy security camera log on a holotape after you wake up. Although I guess then you would know how long ago it occurred, which I'm guessing is going to be a plot twist later on.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Does anyone have any idea why putting Shadow Distance any higher than medium will seriously hamper my performance? The other graphics settings do barely anything and I can easily run everything on ultra but shadow distance on high will lower my FPS by like 20 in certain cityish areas (and this hit is almost independent of the other settings)

I have a 970 and i7 3770k. Other people with similar PCs seem to be able to run their game with high/ultra Shadow distance and maintain 60 FPS just fine. The game isn't maxing out either my GPU or CPU.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Andrast posted:

Does anyone have any idea why putting Shadow Distance any higher than medium will seriously hamper my performance? The other graphics settings do barely anything and I can easily run everything on ultra but shadow distance on high will lower my FPS by like 20 in certain cityish areas (and this hit is almost independent of the other settings)

I have a 970 and i7 3770k. Other people with similar PCs seem to be able to run their game with high/ultra Shadow distance and maintain 60 FPS just fine. The game isn't maxing out either my GPU or CPU.

Because dynamic shadows are generally a resource hog due to how they are calculated and /or are poorly coded by a lot of developers.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

I wonder what Codsworth calls you if you give your character a first and last name and both of them are on his list of things he can say. If I name my guy Leo McCoy, is he going to call me Mr. Leo or Mr. McCoy?

Mr. McCoy, which makes the inclusion of names like "Spider Jerusalem" and "Katniss Everdeen" that you're obviously supposed to use as first/last kind of weird.

Mister Adequate posted:

I totally agree about this. It would've also reduced the sense of narrative urgency in an open-world game, and prevented you from witnessing an inexplicable "woke up in the middle of cryo sleep for no reason" scene.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I'm getting this at Christmas. People playing this without mods are bonkers. Also, it looks to be extremely my poo poo!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm sadder than I thought I would be, to not hear Ron Perlman open the game cinematics with WWNC. :(

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.
Can you put your items in storage containers in sanctuary or will the npcs steal your poo poo?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Vargs posted:

I ended up deciding that I didn't care for my build and wanted to respec, so here's how I did it:

For stats, punch in:
player.setav strength 3
player.setav luck 8
etc.
You may want to unequip any +stat gear before you do this because it may get confusing otherwise.

For perks, you need to figure out what ID the perk in question has. So if you want to remove the Big Leagues perk, you would type
help "Big Leagues" 4 (quotation marks are necessary for perks with a space in them)
This will give you a few Big Leagues entries, one for each level of the perk. You probably just want to keep removing the IDs until you can see that the perk is definitely gone. To do that you type:
player.removeperk 0048da1 (assuming 0048da1 was the code for the perk)

Same poo poo for adding perks, except you use player.addperk instead. Note that I did come across one perk (Aquaboy) which I could not get the ID for and I dunno why. Maybe it's got a weird name since it can either be Aquaboy or Aquagirl. Might be the case for some other perks as well. Also note that screen with all of the animated cartoon Pip Boys will not update your perks in real-time as you use these commands. You want to be looking at the screen where it just shows you a list of all of your currently active perks.
Thanks! Greatly appreciated. :)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So six hours in and I found Diamond City, is there more cities? I haven't really seen any other outposts.

LLeGGo
Nov 6, 2005

No relation. Your mouth foams. We dance.
Game actually looks great on my 660ti/3570k. Accept when my card hits 95c after a few minutes :suicide:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mister Adequate posted:

Or don't even have a spouse pre-war. Just get sent to the cryo-chamber like Fry from Futurama and wake up all "whaaaaat?"

Then you can wander from there and do whatever. Maybe you have a wife and have a baby. Maybe you don't.

But yeah at the very least just waking up alone would have worked better. Everybody is dead except for baby who is missing. Where is baby? That would have worked better. But nope, gotta have that EXTREME moment to kick start the game!

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I also love how weird it is to have the husband do the opening narration for the game in lieu of Ron Perlman for the very first time in the series' history, only to have him get shot in the face ten minutes into the game if you play as a woman, rendering the whole thing completely pointless.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Where does Dogmeat go after he's dismissed?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Harrow posted:

I'm probably not playing on Survival and I don't really know if I want to get into settlement building or not. It seems like it might end up kinda tedious but I don't really know. Local Leader does seem like it's really important if you're building settlements though.

I'll probably be playing on Hard. Do you think taking Nuclear Physicist is worth it over the higher-Luck VATS perks like Grim Reaper's Sprint and Critical Banker in that case?

If you're going to invest in VATS really heavily right off the bat you could probably make do without power armor pretty easily, but stomping around like a huge retard shooting lasers is the whole appeal of the science tree to me. So yeah, you'll probably be fine then.

On the other hand, high intelligence is what gets you the quick level rate and lets you push the soft cap out as far as you can.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Sorry if this has been posted.

No more stupid cha-ching noise.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/100/

I haven't tried it yet.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Or don't even have a spouse pre-war. Just get sent to the cryo-chamber like Fry from Futurama and wake up all "whaaaaat?"

Then you can wander from there and do whatever. Maybe you have a wife and have a baby. Maybe you don't.

But yeah at the very least just waking up alone would have worked better. Everybody is dead except for baby who is missing. Where is baby? That would have worked better. But nope, gotta have that EXTREME moment to kick start the game!

Or they could've had you choose a background at character creation and make it part of a side quest chain in the main game. Just give like four backgrounds ("Family Man/Woman," "Loner," "Grizzled Veteran," "Vault-Tec Representative") and have them tie into something you can do later in the game. Like, if you have the Family background, your spouse's cryo-chamber fails but the baby is gone and there's a long-ish side quest chain to find out what happened. If you pick Vault-Tec Representative, you're one of the low-information employees who gets screwed over and your side quest chain involves going to other vaults and learning about their (often failed) social experiments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

Or they could've had you choose a background at character creation and make it part of a side quest chain in the main game. Just give like four backgrounds ("Family Man/Woman," "Loner," "Grizzled Veteran," "Vault-Tec Representative") and have them tie into something you can do later in the game. Like, if you have the Family background, your spouse's cryo-chamber fails but the baby is gone and there's a long-ish side quest chain to find out what happened. If you pick Vault-Tec Representative, you're one of the low-information employees who gets screwed over and your side quest chain involves going to other vaults and learning about their (often failed) social experiments.

That would have been awesome. :v:

• Locked thread